Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv4SpjMinlQ

This needs to be seen:

"If you haven’t yet grasped why American soccer’s penchant for ripping off European fan culture without any of the history or tradition from which the real culture emerged is so embarrassing—think MLS team names like Sporting KC and D.C. United, or incidents like New York Red Bulls “ultras” tossing garbage bags at and scrapping with fans of their blood rivals NYC FC, a team that was invented out of whole cloth about three weeks ago—then these shrieking, bouncing jabronis attempting to show off just how Real Soccer Fan they are by shouting quite simply the stupidest chant of all time, one ostensibly inspired by their undying love for Atlanta United, a brand new, tradition- and history-free expansion franchise that somehow has engendered such devotion without playing a single competitive match, should make the vexing nature of it all viscerally clear:"

ONE loving SENTENCE.

It's a long but decent sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If that was three sentences I'd say wrong thread

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Kante, while special (And I really do admire him), would not walk the league in any top-six team. Why you ask. Because statistically there’s a midfielder equally as good (if not better?) than him in the league. That man’s name is Ander Herrera. Shocking for rival fans I know, but here you go:

League apps
Herrera 22 (2 subbed on) – Kante 24

Goals
0-1

Assists
3-1

Chances created
24-16

Pass success rate
88% (1415 passes completed) – 88% (1282 passes completed)

Take ons
77% (24/31 successful attempts) – 77% (27/37 successful attempts)

Tackles
52 successful (136 attempted) – 54 successful (127 attempted)

Aerial Duels:
22 successful (37 attempted) – 17 successful (46 attempted)

Interceptions
70-56

Clearances
48-32

Now United aren’t exactly walking the league are we (we’re getting there. I hope. Please get us there Jose)? My point is that football is a team sport. Exceptional players make teams better, but they don’t define them.

* The above stats were published on Feb 15, 2017

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 3, 2017

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
The letter right below that arguing that Henderson is better than both of them was even better.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

lol this is good

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

advanced statsman posted:

lol this is good

It is. I just feel that any post featuring that guy should be in this thread.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Vice did an article about that guy and MLS geek fans maybe you all have already seen it https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/aaaa-flag

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Vice did an article about that guy and MLS geek fans maybe you all have already seen it https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/aaaa-flag
Yes, but it's a pro click article

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

https://twitter.com/Arsene_Parcelie/status/838691195496902656

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/post/2017/03/07/vote-now-2017-revolution-goal-song

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
https://twitter.com/ReidTheGame/status/839602736161243136

I lol'd

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Me too

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5q4ZbyvdkY

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
12 years of a trophy drought
wenger out

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Bad? Good? I can't tell.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Brony Car posted:

Bad? Good? I can't tell.

:same:

https://www.facebook.com/dreamteamfc/videos/1464726366879616/

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/fkhanage/status/841371974022635525

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

lmao

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Oh my

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mods rename me "The Robert Mugabe of Arsenal"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I don't even know if there's a word that can accurately describe how amazing this is.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

He's the Harold Shipman of poorly thought out analogies.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

is this guy trying to claim to be Rhodesian

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Got rid of Merson and Hartson and brought in Vieira and Anelka in his first season. Makes me think there is something to this comparison...

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Are we supposed to know who Rober Gabi from Zimbabwe is?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jyrka posted:

Are we supposed to know who Rober Gabi from Zimbabwe is?

Do you not watch any of Arsenal's U18s games?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
wrong thread? perhaps yes

https://streamable.com/i83mh

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Definitely wrong thread lol

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gently caress in lol wrong thread

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

The wrongest of threads. Come on man.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I was once accused of being a 'Glory Hunter' for being an Arsenal fan. I told the guy that Arsenal fans have perhaps suffered more than most.

We're in the uniquely awful position of being tantalisingly close to greatness but always coming up short. It's the footballing equivalent of being married to a Victoria's Secret model who isn't interested in sex.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

So I've been thinking about Wenger amidst all of this carnage and uncertainty and I've noticed that Wenger is basically following the plot of Dune and the fourth book in the series God Emperor of Dune.

Stop now for spoilers, but since the book was published in 1981 I'll keep going. In God emperor of Dune, the emperor Leto II atreides assumes power and gradually his reign turns into a dictatorship, lasting four thousand years. The population is not allowed to prosper or develop, no one is allowed to express yourself, it's a dull slow reign. This is what it's starting to feel a bit like now, not overly disastrous, but just mind numbingly dull.

However, it becomes clear after the God emperor is finally killed that he had a plan all along. His plan was to keep the people stuck, frustrated and drive then crazy with the boredom, so that when he is finally overthrown humanity will break out of their restraints and be driven by the need to spread their wings and fullfills their potential. By keeping them tied down for so long he made humanity fullfills their potential.

Perhaps this is Wenger's plan all along, by keeping is in a monotonous ok but not great cycle , repeating the same press conferences etc, we will break all of our restraints when he leaves and fullfills our potential. Sorry i was bored at work and had to share this thought.

TLDR: Wenger is the spice worm emperor of Dune.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I too remember in the 4th book when the spice worm emperor forced his best player to leave for China due to mismanagement.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

There are six Dune books, who knew.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I haven't even read this

quote:

I'm a relatively new Arsenal fan. Born in the USA, I never was and never have been surrounded by people in love with the beautiful game. When I was younger I played "soccer" as we call it here, and didn't like it. That's why I was so shocked when I fell in love with this club. I was 13 at the time (I'm 16 now) and I was over at a friend's house. This friend of mine was (and still is) a massive Manchester United fan, and he convinced me to watch a game. We had a mix up with the times, and it turned out that ManU was playing the next day, so we decided to turn on an Arsenal game instead. It was our 1-0 win over Tottenham, the one where Rosicky scored in the second minute. Watching that rocket of a goal, the first goal I had ever seen live, was the start. I had originally planned on supporting United with most of my friends, but that one goal convinced me otherwise. I elected to be a gooner, and I've been one ever since. Arsenal FC didn't just become my football club, it made me fall in love with the beautiful game. I went from being a casual observer of English football to watching league games in all the top five leagues in Europe along with Portugal, Mexican, and American league games as well as supporting my poo poo national team, although I have enjoyed the woman's success. I watch YouTube videos on football. Top tens, happenings in world football, stories about all time greats and more. I've learned about and watched all time greats for the fun of it. Football is a huge part of my life and Arsenal is the biggest part of my football world by far. Tuning into Arsenal games every week and seeing all 18 players present dragging their feet on the field, laughing when we concede on the bench, and putting up shambolic results has been nothing short of awful. When it comes down to it, players win games, but managers win seasons. Look at our 03/04 season. Bergkamp and Campbell helped of course, but Wenger's organization and good choices are really what won us that season. Look at Chelsea this year! One managerial change and their top of the league! Sure the signing of Kante has helped loads as he has won the blues some games, but Conte is winning them the Premier League. I have buckets of respect for Wenger. When I make my first trip to the Emirates, I wanna see a statue of him out there waiting for me. He's done so much for this club, he's changed English football for the better, but at this point he has so much less to offer. We have the same manager and the same tactics. Wenger will stubbornly do all this his way, and his way isn't working anymore. Our ticket prices are significantly higher than all, if not most major clubs on the continent. We should NOT be losing 3-1 to West Brom. We should NOT be losing 5-1 to Bayern Munich TWICE IN THE SAME YEAR. We should not only attract top quality players like Koscieleny, Ozil, and Alexis, but we should be able to KEEP them. Wenger is still working the transfer market like it's 1999. Big clubs need to make big signings to compete. At this point, Arsenal is hardly the club it once was. If we want to compete with the best, we need to be the best. Ospina, Monreal, Iwobi, and Coquelin, are not players that should be starting against the best teams in Europe except maybe Iwobi once he matures. At this point we may as well be equivalent to Everton in the league. When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter how we all want Wenger to leave. We shouldn't have to wait to win the Premier League with him one more time or wait to finally win the Champion's League with him in order to league. Wenger, when it comes down to it as an employee. An employee that isn't doing his job well enough. He needs to leave for the good of the club. I just hope we can win the FA Cup so he can have a good memory from this truly awful season.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

tbp lives.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

When I was younger I played "soccer" as we call it here, and didn't like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003