Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Oh, so it's the "Well he's a fascist who might get the world nuked, but at least he's not part of the establishment!" thing?

Joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

spectralent posted:

Oh, so it's the "Well he's a fascist who might get the world nuked, but at least he's not part of the establishment!" thing?

Joy.

No it was more the "Well the Democrats haven't done poo poo for me and my life has gotten demonstrably worse under them. Hey, Trump says he'll bring us jobs and security while the Democrats are saying WE'LL GIVE YOU MORE OF WHAT YOU'VE BEEN GETTING very loudly. Guess I'll vote for him". Horrible thing is, if the Democrats had actually campaigned properly or even offered the people something other than "Well, we're not as bad as Trump!" then they probably would have won handily. That said, Democratic hubris as well as the American penchant for electoral fraud and voter purging (both parties do it) cost them their firewall in the rust belt and the election.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Kokoro Wish posted:

No it was more the "Well the Democrats haven't done poo poo for me and my life has gotten demonstrably worse under them. Hey, Trump says he'll bring us jobs and security while the Democrats are saying WE'LL GIVE YOU MORE OF WHAT YOU'VE BEEN GETTING very loudly. Guess I'll vote for him". Horrible thing is, if the Democrats had actually campaigned properly or even offered the people something other than "Well, we're not as bad as Trump!"

This really is the most important part to me. There was massive denial that Trump would get anywhere near to the presidency. The reality we live in now was literally laughed at by anyone with above 100 IQ's. The problem was that then the groups that currently claim to represent the left in America decided that this meant they didn't have to do anything, and in fact this was a great time to improve Obama's 'Change' message by turning it into 'Keep everything coasting along!'.

And most people want some form of progress. Whether forward, backward, upward, forward, or twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TinTower posted:

That's three times as many as the proportion of Labour MPs who voted against it.

It's easy to have big percentages with 9 mps

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

cosmically_cosmic posted:

This really is the most important part to me. There was massive denial that Trump would get anywhere near to the presidency. The reality we live in now was literally laughed at by anyone with above 100 IQ's. The problem was that then the groups that currently claim to represent the left in America decided that this meant they didn't have to do anything, and in fact this was a great time to improve Obama's 'Change' message by turning it into 'Keep everything coasting along!'.

And most people want some form of progress. Whether forward, backward, upward, forward, or twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

See also: Brexit.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jabby posted:

However much you disagree with Labour's stance on the referendum result, nothing they can possibly do in opposition comes close to what the Lib Dems did while in power.

Less than half the population go to uni at any point in their lives. Everyone is going to suffer a hard brexit.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cerv posted:

Less than half the population go to uni at any point in their lives. Everyone is going to suffer a hard brexit.

One could also argue that given how the tories went full fash after their surprising majority win, the lib dems may have had more of an influence than we actually saw.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
in 1992, the incumbency run of GHWB scared off many more established Democrats, who believed (not unreasonably) that runs against a sitting President with well-established bi-partisan credentials (most notably on taxes) were a waste of political and literal capital. That let a relatively unknown southern Democratic governor win the nomination, despite being vulnerable to scandals in a way that would dog his campaigns and indeed his entire presidency - the weak field meant that these were not sufficiently uncovered during the nomination

at the same time, however, GHWB was challenged from the right by Pat Buchanan. although Buchanan did not get close to toppling the sitting President from his own party's nomination, GHWB moved his campaign significantly rightward to compensate, gambling away his incumbency advantage at the general election - in particular, placing culture war issues in the campaign spotlight

any similarities are of course coincidental. in particular, although Clinton did not win the popular vote, neither did Bush, with the anti-establishment vote drawn off by third party anti-trade, self-financed-billionaire candidate Ross Perot. Perot's mercurial campaigning and carefree inclination towards alleging conspiracies against him had not stopped Perot from obtaining an enormous 19% of the national vote.

ronya fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 15, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kokoro Wish posted:

No it was more the "Well the Democrats haven't done poo poo for me and my life has gotten demonstrably worse under them. Hey, Trump says he'll bring us jobs and security while the Democrats are saying WE'LL GIVE YOU MORE OF WHAT YOU'VE BEEN GETTING very loudly. Guess I'll vote for him". Horrible thing is, if the Democrats had actually campaigned properly or even offered the people something other than "Well, we're not as bad as Trump!" then they probably would have won handily. That said, Democratic hubris as well as the American penchant for electoral fraud and voter purging (both parties do it) cost them their firewall in the rust belt and the election.

Surely centre left Democrats will look across the pond, see what a roaring success Corbynism has proved to be here, and wish to emulate it?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

in 1992, the incumbency run of GHWB scared off many more established Democrats, who believed (not unreasonably) that runs against a sitting President with well-established bi-partisan credentials (most notably on taxes) were a waste of political and literal capital. That let a relatively unknown southern Democratic governor win the nomination, despite being vulnerable to scandals in a way that would dog his campaigns and indeed his entire presidency - the weak field meant that these were not sufficiently uncovered during the nomination

at the same time, however, GHWB was challenged from the right by Pat Buchanan. although Buchanan did not get close to toppling the sitting President from his own party's nomination, GHWB moved his campaign significantly rightward to compensate, gambling away his incumbency advantage at the general election - in particular, placing culture war issues in the campaign spotlight

any similarities are of course coincidental. in particular, although Clinton did not win the popular vote, neither did Bush, with the anti-establishment vote drawn off by third party anti-trade, self-financed-billionaire candidate Ross Perot. Perot's mercurial campaigning and carefree inclination towards alleging conspiracies against him had not stopped Perot from obtaining an enormous 19% of the national vote.

I wouldn't say Clinton was any more scandal-prone than any other random politician. The Republicans dug into him like he was a Mafia don and all they managed to get was Whitewater, which was probably a bit shady but they couldn't pin anything on the Clintons despite the entire might of the DoJ being deployed against it for two years, and the Paula Jones/Lewinsky case, which was something but really not anything that hasn't happened with basically anyone who's been in the White House.

It says something about just how successful the "Attack them where we're weakest" strategy was that people still see Clinton as uniquely dishonest and libidinous.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the Paula Jones/Lewinsky case, which was something but really not anything that hasn't happened with basically anyone who's been in the White House....
Uh... what? Which other recent president has been caught doing anything similar? I guess JFK was notoriously a bit of a rake and LBJ was... LBJ, but Obama, Dubya, and HW were all pretty straight-laced, Reagan was probably too senile and old to function anyway, and I've never heard anything about Carter or Ford doing anything untoward.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 15, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kokoro Wish posted:

the funny thing is they're now all going to die under his healthcare plan while he doesn't bring the jobs back

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Basically every video jimmy dore posts

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

LemonDrizzle posted:

Uh... what? Which other recent president has been caught doing anything similar? I guess JFK was notoriously a bit of a rake and LBJ was... LBJ, but Obama, Dubya, and HW were all pretty straight-laced, Reagan was probably too senile and old to function anyway, and I've never heard anything about Carter or Ford doing anything untoward.

Okay, maybe not every single person in the White House, but I'm willing to bet getting close to a majority of Presidents have shagged around. And while Reagan and HW didn't personally do the loving, the same definitely can't be said of the people they employed.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The tabloids are going after people living on taxpayer handouts again

The Mail has something similar going on except there were two women at his party so they're obviously on the cover

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But how many has notable actual heir to the throne Charlie done?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The figures have emerged but we don't have the high scores yet

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
They're all a bunch of loving scroungers.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Idiot nationalism aside, I do think that becoming more self-sufficient in food is overall a good thing, whether that's at the national, regional, commune, or household level.

Maybe a positive outcome of a descent into hermit kingdomry will be the growth of community aquaponics ventures and vinylon plants.

When I hear North Korea I think agricultural success.

Fine that's tongue-in-cheek, but still, I can't think of any large country that's agriculturally self-dependent. China, Germany, France, Spain or the US do come somewhat closer, but that's more a function of the size of their agricultural sectors than anything.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
There was an attempt in WW2 to make households partly self sufficient in foodstuffs with the Victory Gardens. Didn't really work though.

It is scary just how vulnerable most first world countries are in terms of food, though. It's a bulket in the head of the idea of any really meaningful social reform, because the first time any left wing government says the word "nationalisation" then it's BAM trade emargo by uncle sam and we're all eating grass or clay for loving dinner.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I always :psyduck: about Lib Dems who think they were punished electorally for breaking a campaign promise on tuition fees, and not for propping up the Tories for 5 years and helping enact crushing austerity and cuts.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

MikeCrotch posted:

I always :psyduck: about Lib Dems who think they were punished electorally for breaking a campaign promise on tuition fees, and not for propping up the Tories for 5 years and helping enact crushing austerity and cuts.

And comparing the Labour stance on Article 50 to tuition fees. Because apparently the Lib Dems lost a referendum on fees and the Tories had an absolute majority then.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

TinTower posted:

Yeah, to be honest they're acting like a top-up on the government's majority.

lmao

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/841943945370300416

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/841944414087966721

Oh. That's nice. We don't know how bad it'd be (or aren't willing to find out), but it definitely won't be as bad as those nasty remoaners are saying, honest.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Baron Corbyn posted:

true but opinion polling have them at a net favorability of around -15, which isn't as bad as Corbyn but still somehow worse than Trump, which is insane. Favorability polls have done well at predicting the results of elections where voter intention has failed (see Ed Miliband) but it's early days yet.

It's because you are comparing congressional favourability with presidential favourability. Congress as a whole has been less favourable than cockroaches for ages. (Gallup congressional approval averages something like 20% approve/80% disapprove?) A president gets some points just for being president.

Worse favourability values prior to the election didn't stop Trump.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 15, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

quote:

Q: Has the government made an assessment of the economic impact of leaving with no deal?

Davis says not since he has been secretary of state.

There was an assessment before the referendum, but that assessment has not turned out to be robust.

:yayclod:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/841948738960662531

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I know that there are a lot of individually poo poo US reps / senators but it feels like "congress bad" has become some kind of self reinforcing reaction. Like it's an easy, uncontroversial thing for someone who's politically unengaged to say. I get similarly frustrated when people here say "they're all as bad as each other" about our MPs, ignoring the wonderful spectrum of badness that we have.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

baka kaba posted:

The tabloids are going after people living on taxpayer handouts again

The Mail has something similar going on except there were two women at his party so they're obviously on the cover

Are Rupert Murdoch & Paul Dacre big fans of Charles? Seen a few stories about skipping over him, hard not to think of this as a counter to that.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The Queen is the monarch after all, royal duties are rather her job. I dunno what William's job is these days but insofar as you can consider having royals reasonable at all, it seems reasonable that his workload is less than the person with their face on all the stamps.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

forkboy84 posted:

Are Rupert Murdoch & Paul Dacre big fans of Charles? Seen a few stories about skipping over him, hard not to think of this as a counter to that.

I assumed it was the 'William is a Remoaner' thing, maybe though

Dominic Raab just asked questions that basically come down to "are you getting a sense everything's going to be fine, win-win, win-win?"

ugh Gove is in here

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Party Boat posted:

I know that there are a lot of individually poo poo US reps / senators but it feels like "congress bad" has become some kind of self reinforcing reaction. Like it's an easy, uncontroversial thing for someone who's politically unengaged to say. I get similarly frustrated when people here say "they're all as bad as each other" about our MPs, ignoring the wonderful spectrum of badness that we have.

i think the general "congress bad" is probably because of how nisanely gerrymandered it is

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Home Office staff forbidden to criticise Donald Trump online

It's pretty silly, plus it goes a lot further in saying they'll enforce the standard blanket "no saying online that you work at the HO, what you do there or opinions regarding any policies". Which apparently two out of three personnel break.

Soo, does anyone here work at the Home Office and has something to share? :getin:

Don't actually do so if you like your job I guess.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
No it's the product of media reporting where everything that should be written as Republicans suck is instead written as Congress sucks or politicians suck.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Fangz posted:

It's because you are comparing congressional favourability with presidential favourability. Congress as a whole has been less favourable than cockroaches for ages. (Gallup congressional approval averages something like 20% approve/80% disapprove?) A president gets some points just for being president.

Worse favourability values prior to the election didn't stop Trump.

Also, everyone rates their own congressperson higher than congress as a whole. So it's always the other people's congressperson's fault.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

"Oh it's quite plain how it will work out, I'm just not quantifying it yet"

lol "I spent most of my working life before politics in business, you often know a good deal without having the specific numbers"

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
"Trust me, I don't need no *snort* numbers and *pfft* logic, I have a feeling it's all gonna be great, you'll see."

Also, you know, all these brexiteers are touting trade deals TRADE DEALS EVERYWHERE, but when you're the little guy on the block, trade deals loving suck for the average citizen. I mean look at the kind of trade deals that most of Latin America gets: "get hosed, we sell you everything, you export only what we want for cheapass prices, also our corporations will be god-kings as far as your courts are concerned, oh and give us all your natural resources for free".

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 15, 2017

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cosmically_cosmic posted:

This really is the most important part to me. There was massive denial that Trump would get anywhere near to the presidency. The reality we live in now was literally laughed at by anyone with above 100 IQ's.

I remember posting in the USPol thread shortly before the election something along the lines of 'we're totally hosed, really hope you won't be too!' and having like half a dozen of their thread regulars jumping down my throat saying there was no chance Trump would be elected and I was a fool for thinking so.

Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
rigorous feels-based economic planning and analysis rooted in a firm foundation of baseless optimism. how can we possibly lose?

e:

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/841960986374479873

i wonder if he's, e.g., spoken to the irish government about this

• Locked thread