Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i kind of want brexit to be as catastrophic as possible so everyone learns a lesson but i know that its extremely bad for everyone if that happens and nobody will learn a lesson anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LemonDrizzle posted:

rigorous feels-based economic planning and analysis rooted in a firm foundation of baseless optimism. how can we possibly lose?

e:

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/841960986374479873

i wonder if he's, e.g., spoken to the irish government about this

He said he did but the whole thing is waffly as hell. "Everything should just work out fine we don't anticipate any problems, this sort of underpins the peace process after all!"

Then the Tory who asked about this said "ok so this is a work in process as well" and he got real mad

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Private Speech posted:

When I hear North Korea I think agricultural success.

Fine that's tongue-in-cheek, but still, I can't think of any large country that's agriculturally self-dependent. China, Germany, France, Spain or the US do come somewhat closer, but that's more a function of the size of their agricultural sectors than anything.

Well we're not all there but Finland's 80% agriculturually self-sufficient. We're also not large population wise.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

When I hear North Korea I think agricultural success.

Fine that's tongue-in-cheek, but still, I can't think of any large country that's agriculturally self-dependent. China, Germany, France, Spain or the US do come somewhat closer, but that's more a function of the size of their agricultural sectors than anything.
Hermit kingdoms have the choice between agricultural self-sufficiency and famine. We have the technology for either, but one of the two is objectively more pleasant. I can imagine us picking the other out of spite though.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Also, everyone rates their own congressperson higher than congress as a whole. So it's always the other people's congressperson's fault.
That's what happens when you have a system where every representative’s incentive is to appeal to their constituency while throwing the rest of the country under the bus. FPTP :toot:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Hermit kingdoms have the choice between agricultural self-sufficiency and famine. We have the technology for either, but one of the two is objectively more pleasant. I can imagine us picking the other out of spite though.

it would be very british to continue to inflict ourselves on the rest of the world its true

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jose posted:

i kind of want brexit to be as catastrophic as possible so everyone learns a lesson but i know that its extremely bad for everyone if that happens and nobody will learn a lesson anyway

I really want it to succeed now, I'd never be so happy in my life as to be wrong about the disaster it's going to be. But, no, no-one will learn any lesson at all, because it's never their fault. Remember: Brexit cannot fail, it can only be failed. It's those filthy remoaners fault for not getting behind it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

The big problem with accelerationism is that it presumes a good amount of the damage inflicted will be reversible once people come to their senses. That doesn't tend to work out so well in real life.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jabby posted:

It's great that the Lib Dems are at least pretending to stand on principle, but they kind of give the game away by incessantly blaming Labour for everything rather than the party in power.

I've noted this a lot from my own Lib Dem friends, actually. Like, you guys want to say you're the real opposition? How about saying nasty stuff about the guys you were in coalition with for 2 years rather than having 90% of your tweets be about Labour.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
"Agricultural self-sufficiency" sounds good until you realise you're going to have to eat a lot of parsnips and stuff like that.

Well I guess there's black pudding. British black pudding is really good.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Red Oktober posted:

I really want it to succeed now, I'd never be so happy in my life as to be wrong about the disaster it's going to be. But, no, no-one will learn any lesson at all, because it's never their fault. Remember: Brexit cannot fail, it can only be failed. It's those filthy remoaners fault for not getting behind it.

It won't even be the filthy remoaners fault, it will be Corbyns fault.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pochoclo posted:

"Agricultural self-sufficiency" sounds good until you realise you're going to have to eat a lot of parsnips and stuff like that.
I'm not super keen on parsnips but I like them a whole lot better than starvation.

edit because holy poo poo this man is actually in charge of the biggest upheaval of this country's international relations and trading position since ww2:

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/841960790206869504

oh well that's ok we just have to want things hard enough and they become real silly me how did i forget that

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 15, 2017

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Parsnips are great! Roast 'em with a drizzle of honey, mmmm, lovely!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

If people got their poo poo together we could grow a lot of stuff by community scale aquaponics that wouldn't normally be considered native, and I have no issue with falling back on neeps and tatties as a staple.

We might not be able to ruin the economy of Peru with the quinoa-to-hipsters pipeline anymore, or pluck quite so many avocados from the mouths of mestizo children, but that might not be the worst thing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aye, not going to stand for this besmirching of the noble parsnip, a perfectly nice vegetable.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

If people got their poo poo together we could grow a lot of stuff by community scale aquaponics that wouldn't normally be considered native, and I have no issue with falling back on neeps and tatties as a staple.

We might not be able to ruin the economy of Peru with the quinoa-to-hipsters pipeline anymore, or pluck quite so many avocados from the mouths of mestizo children, but that might not be the worst thing.

Nah yeah, you can grow anything, even quinoa. I'm not even joking, you absolutely can. See e.g. weed, or the whole spanish winter strawberries thing, or, well, just about whatever. It does get a bit more expensive if you don't have enough natural sunlight though, and crops that need a lot of land (so, quinoa) can be expensive.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Parsnips are extremely good and sometimes even amusingly shaped.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Britain shall endure by moving towards a parsnip based economy

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Implying there are significant challenges in maintaining a border in Ireland is only spreading fear that will inflame the tempers of the savage norn ironer and will lead to terrorism. Why do you support terrorism?!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gove's contribution to this select committee so far has been 'what great things do our friends in Europe want to see Britain achieve' and 'what exciting, scintillating, incredible opportunities does Britain face'

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Unless this David Davis guy is playing 8 dimensional chess and is actually insanely good at acting like an incompetent, the press was right, he is a wastrel lol

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

What the gently caress has DD actually been doing with his time? He doesn't have the answers to any questions, has he just been napping since the result?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

Nah yeah, you can grow anything, even quinoa. I'm not even joking, you absolutely can. See e.g. weed, or the whole spanish winter strawberries thing, or, well, just about whatever. It does get a bit more expensive if you don't have enough natural sunlight though, and crops that need a lot of land (so, quinoa) can be expensive.
Finally, Yorkshire Tea will in fact be grown on the terraced foothills of Nidderdale

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

jBrereton posted:

Unless this David Davis guy is playing 8 dimensional chess and is actually insanely good at acting like an incompetent, the press was right, he is a wastrel lol

"All forecasts are bullshit"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

Britain shall endure by moving towards a parsnip based economy

NO!!! Turnips :mad:

Dead Goon posted:

Parsnips are great! Roast 'em with a drizzle of honey, mmmm, lovely!

This however is God's truth. Perhaps those of Her Majesty's subjects who are deemed to have toiled sufficiently may be rewarded with a sweetened parsnip on Independence Day.

crispix fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 15, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jBrereton posted:

Finally, Yorkshire Tea will in fact be grown on the terraced foothills of Nidderdale
And will only cost £40 an ounce.

Red Oktober posted:

What the gently caress has DD actually been doing with his time? He doesn't have the answers to any questions, has he just been napping since the result?
That's what I'd be doing if the alternative was "achieve a Brexit that is good for Britain and makes us look good."

crispix posted:

NO!!! Turnips :mad:
We should have a referendum about whether they should be called turnips, neeps, or tumshies.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Why do people assume people voted to leave because of racism? I'm sick of the London based media portraying the majority of the country as being ignorant racists because they want to leave Europe. Your average racist is fully aware that Asia isn't in Europe and that won't make any difference to immigration from those countries. If you want a more accurate stereotype then try " being sick of the UK paying in to prop up Eastern European countries who don't contribute poo poo"

As an outsider the UK was always considered a burden to the EU around me. Always wanted the advantages without the inconvenients, was sold out to the US (like Poland) and stopped progress on anything outside of the economic union.
Most people around here think you are stupid to leave when you had the best position in the EU and hope/know that you'll regret it. Also if you ever come back at least you won't have any of the special advantage you had before so that's good for the rest of us.
The only problem is with the timing, those are quite uncertain times and EU is weaker than ever so it clearly does not help. Also racism. (which is on the rise everywhere to be fair)

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Uh, to all the people touting aquaponics or whatever: that poo poo is super expensive at the scales needed to feed a country.

I mean, if you can afford paying £20 for a bunch of tomatoes, by all means, but I don't think that's going to be very popular.

Also I'm not even sure how you would deal with stuff that grows on trees. I know I'm obsessed about tangerines but could you really grow a goddamn tree farm indoors?

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 15, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

War criminal Alexander Blackman who admitted to committing a war crime on tape has had his murder conviction overturned and his sentence for manslaughter commuted lmao.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pochoclo posted:

Parsnips are great get to gently caress. What else can we grow? Onions. Sprouts. Poratoes. Carrots. Cabbage. Leeks. Etc etc. I think we'd be fine.

Also with investment there's no reason we couldn't become agriculturally self-sufficient. Would have to involve a move away from traditional farming though. Vertical farms are looking super interesting.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Pochoclo posted:

Uh, to all the people touting aquaponics or whatever: that poo poo is super expensive at the scales needed to feed a country.

I mean, if you can afford paying £20 for a bunch of tomatoes, by all means, but I don't think that's going to be very popular.

Also I'm not even sure how you would deal with stuff that grows on trees. I know I'm obsessed about tangerines but could you really grow a goddamn tree farm indoors?

Glasshouses mostly. You don't have to actually do aquaponics, just provide more (artificial) sunlight and temperature/climate control.

That said it is hella expensive, and not very good for the environment too, because of all the energy needed.

e: Also vertical farms are kinda silly unless you really need the space. Like yeah if you have an unlimited budget then sure they are neat in theory, but then so is a lot of other stuff (starting with more nuclear powerplants, public transport infrastructure and housing for everyone)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 15, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't like parsnips but if you started offering actual white turnips I would eat those. I appear to be the only person who likes them though.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
During many years of my childhood, my dinners were either potato-based, pasta-based, or just tea and crackers when poo poo was really bad.

Sure, you can survive, but it loving sucks and I don't see why anyone would willingly face that kind of situation.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Parsnips are great get to gently caress. What else can we grow? Onions. Sprouts. Poratoes. Carrots. Cabbage. Leeks. Etc etc. I think we'd be fine.

Also with investment there's no reason we couldn't become agriculturally self-sufficient. Would have to involve a move away from traditional farming though. Vertical farms are looking super interesting.

You'd poison yourselves with over spraying your crops within a generation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

that marine is no longer guilty of murder. its now manslaughter due to diminished responsibility

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jose posted:

that marine is no longer guilty of murder. its now manslaughter due to diminished responsibility

What became of the whole war crimes thing anyway? Wasn't it supposed to be handled differently than just normal murder.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Good thing nobody delayed triggering Article 50, now the government can get down to the hard work of thinking about what they maybe might want

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

kustomkarkommando posted:

Good thing nobody delayed triggering Article 50, now the government can get down to the hard work of thinking about what they maybe might want

They'll need to assess the concept of "wanting" first. I mean they have a general good feeling about it, but haven't actually run the numbers.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Private Speech posted:

What became of the whole war crimes thing anyway? Wasn't it supposed to be handled differently than just normal murder.

War crimes are something foreigners do not are boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

It actually gets cheaper the more you scale it up. It's expensive but interesting at the household level, but when you make large vertical farms you can start using sulfur lamps and HVAC and stuff that wouldn't make sense at a home farm scale.

It's still expensive compared to paying starvation wages to the developing world to deforest their country to monoculture food they will never eat, but I'm not convinced that's a good model either.

Pochoclo posted:

During many years of my childhood, my dinners were either potato-based, pasta-based, or just tea and crackers when poo poo was really bad.

Sure, you can survive, but it loving sucks and I don't see why anyone would willingly face that kind of situation.
How much of it sucked due to the lack of variety in food and how much sucked due to the surrounding circumstances? The Orwell quote about millionaires and Ryvita springs to mind, people wouldn't mind a plainer diet if it wasn't also twinned with housing and job insecurity.

• Locked thread