Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Milky Moor posted:

"Now, people have called me crazy for saying Mass Effect is Shakespearean. But if we take Romeo and make him a Turian and if we swap Juliet out for an Asari, well, the similarities are quite astounding."

If you throw us, do we not ragdoll? If you incinerate us, do we not scream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

Pictured: Literally An Accurate Depiction Of Mass Effect

I don't see a popup telling the player to buy more DLC.

(would probably pay money for 1960s bubble helmet shiny silver space suits though)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

exquisite tea posted:

That's not true at all though. All the original Mass Effect games in their time were blockbuster AAA releases and looked it. Mass Effect 2 in particular still looks and plays great for a game that came out in 2010, and competed with AC2 and Bioshock for visuals. There's a lot of revisionist handwaving to defend the cheap-looking production values of Andromeda by saying that Mass Effect never looked good, but that's really not the case.

ME:A doesn't look cheap at all, it just has bad animations. The rest of it looks great imo and there's a very clear and distinct improvement in character models and overall graphics

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I know I can't discuss or enjoy a game unless I know exactly where it falls on the pulp to hard sci-fi scale.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Milky Moor posted:

"Now, people have called me crazy for saying Mass Effect is Shakespearean. But if we take Romeo and make him a Turian and if we swap Juliet out for an Asari, well, the similarities are quite astounding."

Smug statements aside, what's Mass Effect in your opinion if it isn't Adventures of Daring Do IN SPACE!? What makes it so much different that it can't be put in the same category like Star Wars, Babylon 5, Dune, the Vorkosigan series, The Expanse or Flash Gordon?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Maybe you can't put everything into a neat little box with a label on it, guys

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
And mass effect is clearly a sci-fi comedy

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
u morons? mass effect series is obviously a hyper-realistic but socially progressive alternate reality bottle episode sitcom kind of thing

qed

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Watching the Polygon stream. Checking if your sibling had died or not being optional was funny, but it keeps happening. Checking if a guy who just got shot is okay is optional, looking for a missing Pathfinder is optional, investigating your own distress flares is optional! I don't think I ever expected to criticize the -objective choices- of a video game. :psyduck:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Decius posted:

Smug statements aside, what's Mass Effect in your opinion if it isn't Adventures of Daring Do IN SPACE!? What makes it so much different that it can't be put in the same category like Star Wars, Babylon 5, Dune, the Vorkosigan series, The Expanse or Flash Gordon?
I'm... not quite sure if all of those titles belong in the same sub-category of sci-fi, to be quite honest

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Maybe you can't put everything into a neat little box with a label on it, guys

Sure you can. People are just going to disagree what box something is in, just like they disagree about everything else.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Zzulu posted:

ME:A doesn't look cheap at all, it just has bad animations. The rest of it looks great imo and there's a very clear and distinct improvement in character models and overall graphics

I'm certain there's been some improvement since 2012 but

this most certainly looks cheap and bad. Stupid animation aside, he looks like a Sim from 2004. This is just bad.

Hell anything that comes out now that doesn't have faces that look like Rise of the Tomb Raider, could be better.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nordick posted:

I'm... not quite sure if all of those titles belong in the same sub-category of sci-fi, to be quite honest

These works have been classified as Space Opera everywhere for decades. Dune and Star Wars are the very definition of the genre. I don't quite understand why this is such a sticking point in this thread today. It's like questioning if LotR is epic Fantasy literature or GoT is a Fantasy version of War of the Roses. I mean, you can of course, but you better bring some compelling arguments for arguing such a minority position.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DancingShade posted:

(would probably pay money for 1960s bubble helmet shiny silver space suits though)
That looks way more 1930s to me.

A lot more LSD kicking around in the 60s, the book covers tended to reflect that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's not true space opera until people have heart plugs and we get our mission briefings from a floating diseased fat man who showers in machine oil.

^ Pathfinder meteor mushroom deposit located. Harvest another 500 to improve your groove.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Looking at some streams and enemy ai likes to bug just like your party does. Standing around on some box somewhere not moving or attacking even while under fire

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kavak posted:

Watching the Polygon stream. Checking if your sibling had died or not being optional was funny, but it keeps happening. Checking if a guy who just got shot is okay is optional, looking for a missing Pathfinder is optional, investigating your own distress flares is optional! I don't think I ever expected to criticize the -objective choices- of a video game. :psyduck:

I dunno, seems like they're letting you play maximum rear end in a top hat Ryder if you want. Or, cutting away excess parts of missions so that you have less busywork. Which seems crazy after Inquisition, but Hernandez did say there was less padding, maybe this is what she meant.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

If you throw us, do we not ragdoll? If you incinerate us, do we not scream?

SHEPARD: "To bang or not to bang. That is the question."

Decius posted:

Writing quickly because I need to vanish...

All of these things don't go into the same category. I love B5 and the Expanse, but both of them are very different sci-fi. Neither of them are remotely pulp.

Other people have said it, so I'll reiterate. When people say pulp sci-fi - people who have a broad knowledge of sci-fi - they are referring to a time period around the 40s where the stories consisted or typical adventure stories that emphasized action and plot over anything else, but transplanted without much thought to alien planets. Very little question is given to the how or why of things and there's very little regard for any rules or consistency even chapter-to-chapter. Johnny Spacerock, the all-American good boy hero, needs to save the beautiful woman from the Snakepeople of Verticon 12 because that's the story.

The Expanse, for example, is very concerned with the how and why of things. As is Babylon 5. Mass Effect has a whole codex. You might call them space opera, but they're not pulp by any stretch of the imagination.

People aren't arguing whether ME is space opera, they're arguing whether it's pulp.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mass Effect is actually fruit pulp.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I suddenly realise it would be loving amazing if some competent studio started making games based on Harrry Harrison's Bill The Galactic Hero series

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Mass Effect is in fact pulp. One of the major problems I had is how the cheap paper discs kept falling apart in my DVD drive.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
less than a week till we are all taken away by the mass effect

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im ready for the mass effect "effect"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
early impressions

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232048307&postcount=1

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

CottonWolf posted:

Andromeda seems more Star Trek than Star Wars. Which I tend to think of as a positive.

Yeah you would, childfucker.

Serf posted:

I dunno, seems like they're letting you play maximum rear end in a top hat Ryder if you want. Or, cutting away excess parts of missions so that you have less busywork. Which seems crazy after Inquisition, but Hernandez did say there was less padding, maybe this is what she meant.

Actually people are saying you literally CANNOT play Ryder as an rear end in a top hat like you could with Shepherd.

There's basically no "renegade" options in this new one, you're always goody mcbabyhead

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Yeah you would, childfucker.

Er... I have literally no idea what you're talking about. Do you have the wrong person?

Bulbo
Nov 4, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Er... I have literally no idea what you're talking about. Do you have the wrong person?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-ladowsky/pedophilia-and-star-trek_b_5857.html

quote:

[...]of the more than 100 offenders the unit has arrested over the last four years, "all but one" has been "a hard-core Trekkie." [...]

Also, Aatrek.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Curses. The secret paedophilia ring of the Start Trek fandom has been outed, and I didn't even know.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My main takeaway from the last few pages is I'll be playing a whole lot of multiplayer.

Serf
May 5, 2011

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Actually people are saying you literally CANNOT play Ryder as an rear end in a top hat like you could with Shepherd.

There's basically no "renegade" options in this new one, you're always goody mcbabyhead

I dunno, being able to not check on your sibling/fellow crewmembers sounds like a pretty good way to roleplay a thoughtless rear end in a top hat.

I'm glad the paragon/renegade divide is gone. That seemed like a Shepherd thing, and it was also pretty limiting since they reinforced it with those points-locked choices, forcing you to play one or the other to get some options. I thought it was a rather dumb holdover from KOTOR.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect is just plain jane science fiction, not space opera or pulp or any other weird terms people use to describe it. The series certainly draws inspiration from many different sources, but at its core it attempts to explore the relationship between people and technology, which is as traditionally sci-fi as you can get. Neither space operas or pulp sci-fi are concerned with the tech itself as an element of the story, it's just a backdrop.

Mass Effect, a philosophical treatise on man's relationship to technology.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Think I'm gonna upgrade to the 1080ti ahead of this game. I've been wanting something cutting edge for a while and now's as good a time as any.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

CottonWolf posted:

Curses. The secret paedophilia ring of the Start Trek fandom has been outed, and I didn't even know.

They're Wesley crushers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Karpaw posted:

Mass Effect, a philosophical treatise on man's relationship to technology.

It doesn't have to do those things elegantly in order for it to be true.

I think if there's anyone we can trust to explore technological themes with a deft hand though, it's the writer of Halo 4.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

My main takeaway from the last few pages is I'll be playing a whole lot of multiplayer.

sign me up skipper, I'm coming home (to shoot aliens)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i'm going play the single player mode and i'll love it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Kurtofan posted:

hosed up if true

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Bioware should let me put the aliens into gulags

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Just watched a stream from one of these twitch guys that get press copies and the only thing that looks like will annoy me a lot is the planet selection/scanning when you're exploring a system. Holy gently caress it takes forever for it to zoom in, you scan, zoom out. And when you want to switch to another planet you zoom in again to where you were just to travel to the new place :psyduck:

Like yeah it's more immersive but gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Flipswitch posted:

Bioware should let me put the aliens into gulags

nothing convinced me the way humans treated elves was correct in dragon age like sera