Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Truga posted:

Personally I'd love a factorio that's in 3d, but isn't a gigantic shitshow like modded minecraft.

Same here, I recall having giant suites of mods that asymptotically approached Factorio's level of automation, but never quite got what I was really looking for. I was very proud of the solar panel production machine I built into a wall and fed with nothing but alchemical energy. Eventually my group had enough techno-magical abilities that we created a completely new architectural style based upon the assumption that people could fly.

Mods got real weird real fast back then.

In an ideal world, I would get the Zachtronics people to optimize the Infinifactory code for scale and add mining systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

TBH I'd probably like Factorio way more if it wasn't so ugly. Like I get what they're going for but I'm not a huge fan of all the browns and grays. I like the way Minecraft looks, it's just a shame about the community and the mishmash of mods.

vOv fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 15, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
They're fixing that somewhat. New biomes/tilesets/assets will add some colour to the landscape and they're redoing assets for higher resolution which should change the aesthetic and colour palette a bit going into the future.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I haven't tried it, but it looks like this mod adds a fair amount of variety.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Torpor posted:

I just want 3d multi level factorio so I can build gigantic factory hellscapes that belch fire.

Combining Minecraft and Factorio would be the best game ever. Maybe also add in a little bit of farming simulation for survival. I've often dreamt about making such a game but I'm useless and lazy so I'll never do it.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

drunkill posted:

They're fixing that somewhat. New biomes/tilesets/assets will add some colour to the landscape and they're redoing assets for higher resolution which should change the aesthetic and colour palette a bit going into the future.

Wow, those are really a huge step up from the original art. I'm personally OK with the current style myself; I respect that most of the efforts up to now have been on streamlining things like the UI and doing everything possible to reduce CPU overhead so you can build REALLY big with very little noticeable lag.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Adding some sort of farming system to Factorio would be a great idea, producing ethanol would be neat if they nerfed accumulators so you could still have a sustainably powered factory. Especially if pollution & biome negatively impacted crop growth, adding an extra challenge to base layout.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I tried one of the arborium mods and was pretty disappointed when I figured out it's just a 3x3 building that generates wood as long as you provide it with power and seeds. You got seeds as a side product from turning wood into planks in a sawmill, so you just had an arborium feeding a sawmill which fed seeds back into the arborium. Two 3x3 buildings for an infinite supply of wood felt pretty cheaty.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The current art throws me back to the good old days when I'd spend hours in the StarCraft map editor.

Also I did what y'all suggested and just bootstrapped a second base into a different location. I'm playing in peaceful mode so it worked like a charm, no defences to set up or maintain, etc.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Crops are fiddly enough conceptually I'd rather it be spun off into a SimFarm sort of game inspired by the sort of minute to minute gameplay of Factorio.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

zedprime posted:

Crops are fiddly enough conceptually I'd rather it be spun off into a SimFarm sort of game inspired by the sort of minute to minute gameplay of Factorio.

That would actually be pretty loving cool with this type of engine. I played the crap out of that game as a kid.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I think Factorio could really benefit just from some basic landscaping, rather than full agriculture. I've got patches around my base that I never walk through and wouldn't mind repopulating with trees (after torching the forest on the first day of game play).

Also, it would be cool to plant some kind of biomediation patches that function solely to soak up pollution.

Anyway, like what someone said earlier, there's infinite things you could add to Factorio. The base game is such a great platform

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Collateral Damage posted:

I tried one of the arborium mods and was pretty disappointed when I figured out it's just a 3x3 building that generates wood as long as you provide it with power and seeds. You got seeds as a side product from turning wood into planks in a sawmill, so you just had an arborium feeding a sawmill which fed seeds back into the arborium. Two 3x3 buildings for an infinite supply of wood felt pretty cheaty.

The tree mod I use (and I assume bobsmod does) takes the current mechanics and changes the paradigm a bit. With wood you have to split off some of the created product and re-introduce it into the input. It's the only time I've seen looping as a viable solution to any factorio problem.

In addition, to get usable amounts of wood, you require waaaaay more than just 2 buildings. With the aforementioned looping, scalability becomes a very different problem than what I am used to.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 15, 2017

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

KirbyKhan posted:

The tree mod I use (and I assume bobsmod does) takes the current mechanics and changes the paradigm a bit. With wood you have to split off some of the created product and re-introduce it into the input. It's the only time I've seen looping as a viable solution to any factorio problem.

In addition, to get usable amounts of wood, you require waaaaay more than just 2 buildings. With the aforementioned looping, scalability becomes a very different problem than what I am used to.

Also, the power drain is high, so it stresses your grid as well.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dirk the Average posted:

Also, the power drain is high, so it stresses your grid as well.

Art imitates life. Every yahoo who started a grow-op in their closet always underestimates (or ignores completely) the electricity costs.

Autism metaphor: "bitcoin generates infinite resources!" a mining rig draws more power than the worth of the bitcoin generated per kilowatt. "So I'll just get MORE mining rigs" since the fundamental per unit cost is higher than the benefit, more mining rigs just deplete your current resources faster. "So I'll just use my mom's house, she pays the electric bill, therefore there is no cost to myself". There ya go, bitcoin is not self sustaining.

Replace bitcoin with wood. You can't use the wood generated from the wood plant to power your wood plants, and keep the operation going. Scaling up to more wood plants does not change this (the higher tier wood plants with fertilizer might, but I never got that far with testing). "Using your moms power" is basically using your coal steam engines or solar plants to power this vanity project.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 15, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
One tree mod lets you have unpowered greenhouses that just use the sun's power

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Nevets posted:

Adding some sort of farming system to Factorio would be a great idea, producing ethanol would be neat if they nerfed accumulators so you could still have a sustainably powered factory. Especially if pollution & biome negatively impacted crop growth, adding an extra challenge to base layout.

The Homeworld mod has this sort of stuff in it and Yuoki has a whole bunch including some genetics too but minus the polution/biome bits.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'd love to have people to feed, and move around on underground subway trains from barracks to chowhalls to worksites (some sort of bonus to productivity or something)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Toast Museum posted:

I haven't tried it, but it looks like this mod adds a fair amount of variety.

This is cool and exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, thanks!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Baloogan posted:

One tree mod lets you have unpowered greenhouses that just use the sun's power

Bio Industries right? Phone posting but: Yeah, I think that one generates a slight amount of power. If I remember right it still has a power draw, it didn't work untill I plugged it in to the electric network. Even if the power generation is greater than the power draw, the problem falls apart at night unless you add accumulators to the mix.

The way other folks get extremely sperg about iron generation from minerals (Angel's and bobs, crushers too), I get about hydroponics and agriculture. If a mod does not model the power problems inherent in indoor growing then MY IMMERSION is ruined.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

e: phonepost

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I still really want canoes, barges, and docks for an island map. More diversity in logistics challenges would be so awesome

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Baloogan posted:

I'd love to have people to feed, and move around on underground subway trains from barracks to chowhalls to worksites (some sort of bonus to productivity or something)

ikanreed posted:

I still really want canoes, barges, and docks for an island map. More diversity in logistics challenges would be so awesome

Not going to lie, I would probably conduct ritualistic human sacrifices if it made a viable and fun Factorio-Anno fusion game possible.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

LonsomeSon posted:

Not going to lie, I would probably conduct ritualistic human sacrifices if it made a viable and fun Factorio-Anno fusion game possible.

I'm in! :f5:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Also for those playing Oxygen Not Included, you can now opt into the beta preview.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Just been trying out production line and it seems pretty good, has you managing a car production line and all the parts therein. Quite rough for an alpha but has a lot of content. Seems to be getting weekly updates too,

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dred_furst posted:

Just been trying out production line and it seems pretty good, has you managing a car production line and all the parts therein. Quite rough for an alpha but has a lot of content. Seems to be getting weekly updates too,

Aye, I've been enjoying it too. But in it's current state, it's very punishing. Overhauling your factory is also suicidal, you're forced to basically start a brand new production line with all the researched bits due to space constraints.

The game becomes a cakewalk once you've got a functioning assembly line that is churning out 3 cars a minute (which isn't even that many). Becomes next to impossible to lose cause cars always sell.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dred_furst posted:

Seems a little bit like Big Pharma with different goals in the research tree. Is it too much to ask for a manufacturing game with real life logistics? Conveyor belts are neat for the whole sperg frisson of moving things but its all push (minus really silly but fun Factorio programming) and I'm really missing a game that can implement different push and pull systems across different levels of logistics. Maybe its a design goal but the description of it at the moment sounds like an also ran.

I'm probably the only one missing that though.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I'm pretty new to circuits. Can someone explain how this person set this up:

Yellow if full, red if empty and green if in between.

I've redrawn what I can make out of his connections:

kiwid fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 17, 2017

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Not a circuit expert, but my guess would be the top left tests if the tank is less than full, outputting red. The top right tests if the tank is greater than 0, outputting yellow. If both those signals are on, the bottom right outputs green, (and somehow overrides the other two), otherwise there is only one signal (yellow or red) and that gets passed to the light.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Lamps have a checkbox on them when connected to circuit networks that says "Use Colors", and the detailed text says "Set the color of the lamp based on color signals. If a color signal has a value greater than 0, the lamp will show that color. If multiple colors are present, only one of them will be used."

I'm not clear on how it decides which color to use, though.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Ignoranus posted:

Lamps have a checkbox on them when connected to circuit networks that says "Use Colors", and the detailed text says "Set the color of the lamp based on color signals. If a color signal has a value greater than 0, the lamp will show that color. If multiple colors are present, only one of them will be used."

I'm not clear on how it decides which color to use, though.

Yeah that's my problem. Sometimes it'll send two signals and I don't know how to make it override.

This is where I'm at:

I believe my problem is in the 3rd combinator somewhere. Not sure how to make it work.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 17, 2017

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

kiwid posted:

Yeah that's my problem. Sometimes it'll send two signals and I don't know how to make it override.

This is where I'm at:

I'm really puzzled because I built a creative mode test version and it works perfectly but I still have the same confusion about circuit conditions.

My setup here: http://imgur.com/a/PykSP

Three Deciders outputting a color: red when water < 500, yellow when water >500, green when water >2000. I'm not sure why it consistently correctly picks green to show on the light, but it does.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Wait, it's red if empty, yellow if full, green if in between?

- first decider checks if contents < lower limit, outputting red ("the tank is empty")
- second decider checks if contents > upper limit, outputting yellow ("tank is full")
- last decider checks if all signals are 0, outputting green

This way you have exactly 1 signal driving the lamp at a time.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ignoranus posted:

I'm really puzzled because I built a creative mode test version and it works perfectly but I still have the same confusion about circuit conditions.

My setup here: http://imgur.com/a/PykSP

Three Deciders outputting a color: red when water < 500, yellow when water >500, green when water >2000. I'm not sure why it consistently correctly picks green to show on the light, but it does.

I wonder if it is something silly like choosing the first alphabetically. What happens if you change it to blue when water > 500?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Solumin posted:

- first decider checks if contents < lower limit, outputting red ("the tank is empty")
- second decider checks if contents > upper limit, outputting yellow ("tank is full")

Oh, right, that DOES make more sense. Goddamnit, I knew there was a more elegant solution that I was missing.

In other news: the person I talked to in the Discord chat just now seems to think that certain colors have priority over others.

EDIT:

Nth Doctor posted:

I wonder if it is something silly like choosing the first alphabetically. What happens if you change it to blue when water > 500?

When I fooled around with it, it looks like the signals really are chosen left-to-right. Not sure if there's a difference here due to mods (I have... quite a few still installed) but red is preferred over green, both of them over blue, all three of those over whichever one is next, and so on.

Ignoranus fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 17, 2017

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ignoranus posted:

Oh, right, that DOES make more sense. Goddamnit, I knew there was a more elegant solution that I was missing.

In other news: the person I talked to in the Discord chat just now seems to think that certain colors have priority over others.

Glad I could help! I didn't have a chance to test it myself but it should work.

I would expect it to choose by some arbitrary ordering, or by which color signal was updated most recently, or by which color signal is strongest. The latter two methods could have ties, so it would have to fall back on the arbitrary ordering anyway.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Solumin posted:

I believe you're right. However, when all hooked up, the light now flashes on and off because the third combinator detects zero signals, turns the light on green but then detects itself and turns off in a loop.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I never hosed around that much with multiple colors because I've never run into a situation where I can come up with more than 2 actions to take after checking a certain value. But I do remember the collision stuff around colors being what was easiest to program and not what was most user friendly because I remember being disappointed at some point you couldn't do a voting system where counts are converted to color counts and the highest color count gets priority.

So I could totally see it being a totally arbitrary but easy and lightweight to implement collision decision. And that's either going to be based on the colors themselves (easy to suss out), or on resolution order (good luck trying to abuse that to make it work predictably).

e.

kiwid posted:

I believe you're right. However, when all hooked up, the light now flashes on and off because the third combinator detects zero signals, turns the light on green but then detects itself and turns off in a loop.
You need an output condom, usually easiest by switching from red wire to green wire at a final combinator output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

zedprime posted:

You need an output condom, usually easiest by switching from red wire to green wire at a final combinator output.

Using a red wire works. It all makes sense now that it's hooked up. I wonder how the original managed to do it without red wire though.

It's definitely working now:

Edit: Actually it appears the original guy was using red wire, but his lubricant is just setup wrong and that's the one I happened to be looking at to copy. I should have looked at the others because he's definitely using red wire.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 17, 2017