Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

PyRosflam posted:

The newer units make the older ones far less valuable.

Early last stand a good Marine could clear a lot of poo poo while bad ones would die to the swarm of banshees around wave or so.

I never see good eldar anymore, but if you ran Eldar Orc Marine you could have at least a fighting chance to win.

Gimic builds were even more funny, you have an unkillable group, then your mirrors show up and destroy you haha (this made the 2nd map so much better)

Why did we never get any more maps for Last Stand?

My favourite gimmick was full melee Farseer with boons. She was glass cannon as hell, but as long as you timed your abilities right you'd never die and just murder everything with your sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

MikeC posted:

Tell that to the company of heroes crowd. Opposing Fronts factions were absolutely better especially at the start. Then they release Tales of Valor which simply allowed you to swap existing units for better versions of them if you bought the XPAC. No they did not separate the pools of players. If you chose not to buy a low value product you were simply behind the power curve.

Then there was CoH 2 and Online with their pay to win scheme wrt to commanders with flat out better skills that you could pay for. Relic is atrocious for this money grabbing poo poo.

I am not exaggerating in the slightest, unless you are OK with pay to win multiplayer in a full priced AAA game, do not get this for the multiplayer.

Yes they simply let opponents who have payed for the DLC to pound you into dust to encourage you to pony up money

Never played anything that didn't have Orks in it. Maybe you're​ confusing greedy motivation with

Arcsquad12 posted:

Relic cannot balance their games for poo poo,

All I remember is not having to pay $60 for each expansion despite it being three parts to one story unlike StarCraft. And they actually tried different things each campaign unlike StarCraft which just changed factions.

No they aren't perfect and their balance team is basically curb your enthusiasm where it shows up once every five years. But it's still a company that puts it's games on sale, offers content at reasonable prices and is full of people who have aren't phoning in the

"everyone here was fans of the IP before the contract was signed, you really get the sense that everyone has a passion for the franchise and I think the fans will understand that." -:dice: employee talking about star wars battlefront.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Up Circle posted:

building nothing but manticores and having it be viable in 3v3 pretty much cemented dow2 as the best rts ever made

All will be forgiven in Dawn of War 3 if the inevitable Imperial Guard expansion features the Deathstrike Missile Launcher that fires from an entirely different map and kills everyone in the vicinity.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's worth noting that the second to last THQ CEO was a huge dickhead who was likely responsible for the DLC situation w/ Relic games. I dont think game devs actually care about getting people to pay money they wont see for micro's.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neurolimal posted:

It's worth noting that the second to last THQ CEO was a huge dickhead who was likely responsible for the DLC situation w/ Relic games. I dont think game devs actually care about getting people to pay money they wont see for micro's.

Wasn't he the one who declared that THQ was now as big as Activision and EA after Homefront released? Because I am convinced that was the same genius who thought putting Space Marine out two weeks before Gears of War 3 was a good idea.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wasn't he the one who declared that THQ was now as big as Activision and EA after Homefront released? Because I am convinced that was the same genius who thought putting Space Marine out two weeks before Gears of War 3 was a good idea.

Space Marine was such a good game too. It really felt like you WERE a space marine, everything had such weight to it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RFC2324 posted:

Space Marine was such a good game too. It really felt like you WERE a space marine, everything had such weight to it.

Thunder Hammer + Jetpack = A good time for me, a bad time for 100s of Orks

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
God Space Marine was great! The only missed opportunity was the sound design in multiplayer, just a bunch of grunts and growls. They should have had a button that when pressed fires off some ridiculous warhammer quote, I mean they had access to all of the ones they used for the dawn of war games.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

PyRosflam posted:

The newer units make the older ones far less valuable.

early last stand was balanced around teamwork and finding skill synergies, later last stand was balanced around overwhelming solo play - i still maintain that the best tls class was farseer when you fully committed to support

later on tho the marine sergeant, for example, was updated with those lightning claws that could absolutely solo maps whereas they were originally just the party tank with some damage potential in most builds, they still needed other players to succeed

Bob Wins posted:

God Space Marine was great!

the thing that really killed it was the lack of dedicated servers imho, even at its peak it was usually unplayable due to latency even tho it was fun as heck all round: solid mp, solid last stand, solid solo campaign even if its production values were a little lacking

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

And then they announced Eternal Crusade, and it looked to be exactly like Space Marine MP but with even more factions. And then it came out, and turned out to be pretty shite. :smith:

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
My favourite part of Last Stand was building a Tyrinid that only had a 2 second window where it could be damaged every 10 seconds by becoming invincible every time it deliberately killed and resummoned one of its minions. But the best part was that the mirror clone had no idea how to use the build so you didn't run into the 'you made a build you can't beat' issue. I felt smart that day.

But yeah, the chaos and Nid heroes that came with the Chaos Rising expansion were straight up better than the originals. Balance lol.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Perestroika posted:

And then they announced Eternal Crusade, and it looked to be exactly like Space Marine MP but with even more factions. And then it came out, and turned out to be pretty shite. :smith:

It's weird having a small company nobody's heard of going and openly aping the multiplayer of a game by a better funded, more experienced developer. No surprise it didn't turn out very good, but it's kind of an odd story imo.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Well Eternal Crusade was supposed to be a WoW ripoff originally.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Planetside 2 rip-off actually iirc.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Dodoman posted:

Planetside 2 rip-off actually iirc.

Correct, and it was declared fit for release while woefully underdeveloped by publishing.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dark Millennium was the WoW ripoff, and it actually looked good in the Alpha footage. Then the company making it died.

Eternal Crusade is brought to you by the fine folks who made Doritos Blast 2, so it is understandably a horrible piece of poo poo.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Dark Millennium was the WoW ripoff, and it actually looked good in the Alpha footage. Then the company making it died.

Eternal Crusade is brought to you by the fine folks who made Doritos Blast 2, so it is understandably a horrible piece of poo poo.

If thats the free kinect wipeout clone, those were actually good games.

I think what really killed DM and EC is the fact that having an action based MMO with enormous playercounts requires developers with very intimate experience with multiplayer coding (and the resources to support such). Not really something to dump on green devs.

Hell, if anyone ITT played planetside 1 they can attest to how janky enormously ambitious multiplayer can be.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well DM actually looked fine. It was your more traditional MMO. The company making it just went bankrupt.

Eternal Crusade is terribly designed. Sure, the netcode is rear end, but the actual systems involved would be rear end even without the lag. It really just feels god awful to play overall. I mean, I'll play 40k games even if they suck, and shooters even if they suck, and EC sucks too much at both things even for me.

[EDIT] And Planetside 1 is from a different era, it was actually surprisingly well made for its time. It just so happens that its time included horrible clientside exploits and it being the era of people playing things on dial up. :v:

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
What amazes me is that Space Marine's multiplayer was clearly an afterthought. Only had a handful of maps, could only play as SM and CSM which are exactly the same except for the models, barely got any post launch support, etc. And yet to this day it's still ridiculously better than EC.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Man, gently caress this RTS nonsense. What I want is an RPG about the bludflag krew. Make it like Fire Emblem or maybe XCOM with rpg elements. Fill it with dialogue from the Kaptain and his Boyz.

Or something like that. I just want an rpg or turn based game. Honestly 40k can work in almost any genre. It just needs someone decent to develop them.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 14, 2017

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Senjuro posted:

What amazes me is that Space Marine's multiplayer was clearly an afterthought. Only had a handful of maps, could only play as SM and CSM which are exactly the same except for the models, barely got any post launch support, etc. And yet to this day it's still ridiculously better than EC.

I loved mp in space marine. It was a very good time. It was fast, gritty, and great for people who just wanna chill and kill.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

The Skeleton King posted:

Man, gently caress this RTS nonsense. What I want is an RPG about the bludflag krew. Make it like Fire Emblem or maybe XCOM with rpg elements. Fill it with dialogue from the Kaptain and his Boyz.

Or something like that. I just want an rpg or turn based game. Honestly 40k can work in almost any genre. It just needs someone decent to develop them.

Sanctus Reach is supposedly decent?

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Has there been any mention at all about last stand? I have way too many hours in that mode.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Has there been any mention at all about last stand? I have way too many hours in that mode.

Not yet,

but given the craziness that was Last Stand in Space Marine they might not make it happen. That said the update to DOW2 was also the announcement of DOW3 if I recall so who knows.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Not at launch, most likely at some point post release.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sanctus Reach is supposedly decent?

It looks so drat janky though. Armageddon had that hex map, rendered static image combat of an old dad game, and I found that to be kinda charming. This just is some shoddy 3D modeling work.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I'd play the poo poo out of XCOM: Bluddflagg.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Given that Mordheim got a release, and Necromunda has one upcoming, here's hoping that Gorkamorka sees the light of day in the future for Orky gang action.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

Given that Mordheim got a release, and Necromunda has one upcoming, here's hoping that Gorkamorka sees the light of day in the future for Orky gang action.

Let's just hope it goes to a different developer, because goddamn Mordheim was one big old let-down, and chances are the same will happen to Necromunda.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment. :smith:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Skies of Arcadia, but as the Bluddflagg crew. We've been making a list of good series that would benefit from a 40k crossover. A small sample:

Wargame 40K (of course)

You mentioned Warhammer 40COM, but it needs to be repeated forever how much it would own.

Death Hulk: Isolation, or any sort of 40k setting that would work with the Alien: Isolation setup. Hell, you can replace Synths with hosed-up Servitors and it'd probably be even creepier.

Battlefield 40K: I know it would get :dice:'d up, but it'd be worth it for the footage at least.

Some kind of 40K version of Vermintide. Collections of different vibrant characters from different factions/classes interacting in co-op action. I like my copy of Deathwing, but I'd like to see something with more personality.

Dishonered/Thief where you play as Trazyn the Infinite.

Ace Inquisitor where you play a Pheonix Wright style game as an Inquisitor.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Plan Z posted:

Inquisitor Effect where you play a Mass Effect style game as an Inquisitor. The choices you make split you down the paths of Orthodoxy or Radicalism. Also you get to sleep with a Kroot.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

"Karg"

"Agmar"

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Squig Rancher or bust.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So is the open beta slated to happen sometime soon? Now? Or did I miss it? I could have sworn I signed up for some beta newsletter but I didn't any emails about it.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Closed beta has ended but word on the street is that there'll be an open beta some time before release.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So is the open beta slated to happen sometime soon? Now? Or did I miss it? I could have sworn I signed up for some beta newsletter but I didn't any emails about it.

Gonna be adjacent to release so some time after 17/4.

Now I'm kinda surprised nobodies made a deathwatch left 4 dead style game yet, plenty of enemy types and equipment and locales to work from.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A deathwatch game would be more like Payday or Rainbow Six than left 4 dead.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They already tried to make a 40k Left 4 Dead style game, that's what Space Hulk Deathwing was.

That game was disappointing. :saddowns:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

They already tried to make a 40k Left 4 Dead style game, that's what Space Hulk Deathwing was.

That game was disappointing. :saddowns:

To be fair the game itself is pretty solidly fun, just literally every technical element of its a loving mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Artum posted:

To be fair the game itself is pretty solidly fun, just literally every technical element of its a loving mess.

They released a big technical patch the other day, anyone know if it runs better yet?

• Locked thread