Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It's really loving stupid that the new guild buffs fall off and that you can have only one at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So do I actually have to pay real money for a server transfer? I started playing this last night for the first time and then came across this thread, but my char is on Fort Aspenwood and I'd like to play with goons...

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

cage-free egghead posted:

So do I actually have to pay real money for a server transfer? I started playing this last night for the first time and then came across this thread, but my char is on Fort Aspenwood and I'd like to play with goons...
You can transfer for free if you delete your character, which is probably not a big deal if you only started yesterday. Also server you are on only affects World vs World mode.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Forgall posted:

You can transfer for free if you delete your character, which is probably not a big deal if you only started yesterday. Also server you are on only affects World vs World mode.

Good point about the character. But I guess I don't understand your last sentence, do you mean that I can join any guild despite what server people may be on, but WvW mode is server-dependent?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

cage-free egghead posted:

Good point about the character. But I guess I don't understand your last sentence, do you mean that I can join any guild despite what server people may be on, but WvW mode is server-dependent?

Yes. Your home server only determines your team in WvW. All PvE maps are shared and have players from all servers in the region (NA or EU) mixed together. It just spins up as many instances of a zone as it needs to accommodate the total number of players in the region that want to be in that zone. And guilds, communications, the trading post, etc. are also region based, not server based.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Can someone in Goon Squad shoot me an invite? Doesn't seem the forums are being monitored. IGN is yarpblat.2795

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Kessel posted:

It's really loving stupid that the new guild buffs fall off and that you can have only one at a time
:agreed: I don't get why they went from having them all on all to the time to how it is now

At the very least they could have made it so the buff you pick sticks around forever and not this sorta janky rear end implementation where it's just a 24 in-game hour buff, which is just long enough to not have to refresh it regularly but short enough it always ends up running out on me without me noticing :mad:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's not like it would be stupid overpowered either, and could serve to give guild halls and upgrades more of a noticable purpose. I blame Colin, personally.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
My Colin was fired because we were grinding for so long

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Insert name here posted:

:agreed: I don't get why they went from having them all on all to the time to how it is now

At the very least they could have made it so the buff you pick sticks around forever and not this sorta janky rear end implementation where it's just a 24 in-game hour buff, which is just long enough to not have to refresh it regularly but short enough it always ends up running out on me without me noticing :mad:

I don't have it on hand, but I also recall seeing a screenshot of an Aegis duration in the weeks on a Guardian, so the engine can definitely handle longer duration buffs than 24h.

Really though, there are non-duration buffs in the game and they should be used instead of a timed buff, and then just stripped (like the timed buff) when you change buffs.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

If anyone needs mastery points or map completion in HoT zones, I really enjoy them all including Tangled Depths. I'll totally help you out. Look for Johnny Madhouse during North American evening time!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thanks for the mastery advice all. I spent a few hours last night chaining events in the Silverwastes (i.e. following around a tagged person who seemed to know what they were doing) and the bar didn't move all that much, so it looks like I've got plenty of time to get the points.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah I know I definitely stuck some music on, chugged a few exp boosters and got all my available tyrian mastery exp out of the way through cat genocide near HoT launch

(the room with the altars in Cathedral of Fire Citadel of Flame spawned (spawns?) an infinite stream of exp-giving cats for you to get all the tyrian exp you'd ever need, though one of the altars spawns two mobs and another spawns nothing but people kept running to the duff one anyway)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Fractals also give lots of Central Tyria XP, and are how I got most of my masteries done.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Priapus Unbound posted:

If anyone needs mastery points or map completion in HoT zones, I really enjoy them all including Tangled Depths. I'll totally help you out. Look for Johnny Madhouse during North American evening time!

It's true, you're awesome as poo poo and know Tangled Depths an unhealthy amount.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Ah, goomteq, how I have missed thee

:getin:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I should pick the game back up, for whatever reason playing on non-daylight savings just does not work for me at all. The hours for everything just is not all that convenient for me, I guess.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I kinda want to pick the game back up again, but the whole thing of the story bits progressing unless you raid is putting me off. I raided 9 loving years ago when I didn't have any sort of responsibilities, now i obviously do, and it kinda sucks that the Mursaat and White Mantle, the things i was and am still interested in the Guild Wars bit, is locked behind some faceless sentinel me and other buds gotta take down.

It sounds pretty weak I know, but if I remember right, Guild Wars 2's original main feature was for it's pick up and play nature, something MMOs are certainly never known to want or do. Feels like a big unnecessary swerve to focus on poo poo like that, that's all.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I have like an hour or two a night to play and it's been a lot of fun to just hop in and do solo poo poo or group up. Only around level 20 but it has been a very enjoyable experience after not playing an MMO since 2011

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

I kinda want to pick the game back up again, but the whole thing of the story bits progressing unless you raid is putting me off. I raided 9 loving years ago when I didn't have any sort of responsibilities, now i obviously do, and it kinda sucks that the Mursaat and White Mantle, the things i was and am still interested in the Guild Wars bit, is locked behind some faceless sentinel me and other buds gotta take down.

To be honest there isn't that much lore in the raids. I guess the Xera fight is probably the only interesting thing from the first three wings.

The second raid is pretty self contained with the only interesting bit being the Deimos fight. Basically just watch the 20 second cut scenes on youtube if you don't raid.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah I kinda felt the same way and then I found half the stuff they bring up is tiny text snippets or dialogue chains the wiki already has. I would like to see the Deimos stuff in person but I have the option of youtube if I give in.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
The amount of story that is "locked" behind raids had been greatly exaggerated.

A lot of fuss over a cameo and maybe a few paragraphs of text.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Reddit is constantly frothing at the mouth about ~*~*~RAIDS STORY~*~*~ but there's almost literally no actual story content. The closest thing there is is the Xera/Lazarus Wing 3 stuff, and even then, literally everything is explained as a part of Season 3 Episode 1.

Raid if you want to raid. There's no story of relevance.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
The hype from watching wooden potatoes talk about ALL THE LORE AND STORY!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
havent played gw2 since launch and running around bustin' dudes with conjured weapons is still fun as hell

what are some good pve elementalist builds? pretend im not scrub and want to do endgame stuff, just looking for some reading material i guess

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

boy are my arms tired posted:

havent played gw2 since launch and running around bustin' dudes with conjured weapons is still fun as hell

what are some good pve elementalist builds? pretend im not scrub and want to do endgame stuff, just looking for some reading material i guess

Staff ele is good.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Fresh Air Dagger Ele is my favorite but you can't play it lazily like staff

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Tempest_-_Fresh_Air_DPS_(R)

Metabattle has a bunch of builds, look at raid and fractal categories. Just slot a speed boost somewhere for general PvE, like Signet of Air for Elementalist.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

You don't need to slot in a speed boost for ele because there's a passive one in the air traitline if you're in air attunement. Just stay in air attunement when you're going places, it's a good attunement to start in even if you're running staff.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

If you get yourself a staff, a dagger, and a warhorn, that should cover all the current meta builds for you. Staff ele is great for dropping tons of AOEs on everything and just making GBS threads out massive damage. Dagger/Warhorn is good for things that move around a ton and don't just stand nicely in your meteor showers. Otherwise, just go full berserker gear and have fun watching all the big numbers.

I do also like running around in some celestial gear for miscellaneous PvE content outside of raids and fractals. It's not really optimal by any stretch, but it's fun having all your trait lines feel strong and just being able to press all the buttons.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
thanks for all the replies, i'd like to try them out but my game keeps running into various issues

i can't edit keybinds and every now and then when i press two movement keys (like, say, w and d) one of those won't register; sometimes if i press a movement key nothing will happen until i double press it

i've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and file repair and nothing seems to work. got a ticket in but idk what they can do that i haven't already tried

e: the one thing i hadn't tried was unplugging my 360 controller so i guess ill give that a whirl

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 19, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

thanks for all the replies, i'd like to try them out but my game keeps running into various issues

i can't edit keybinds and every now and then when i press two movement keys (like, say, w and d) one of those won't register; sometimes if i press a movement key nothing will happen until i double press it

i've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and file repair and nothing seems to work. got a ticket in but idk what they can do that i haven't already tried

e: the one thing i hadn't tried was unplugging my 360 controller so i guess ill give that a whirl

Did they have you run GW2 as Admin? That fixed my weird keyboard issues for some reason.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Aleph Null posted:

Did they have you run GW2 as Admin? That fixed my weird keyboard issues for some reason.

nope, and i couldn't figure it out until i ran into the same problem in a different mmo; turns out shadowplay really doesn't like mmos!

disabling fixed it across the board

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nope, and i couldn't figure it out until i ran into the same problem in a different mmo; turns out shadowplay really doesn't like mmos!

disabling fixed it across the board

It works fine for me :( GeForce 970

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

CLAM DOWN posted:

It works fine for me :( GeForce 970

i may play around with it some and see if it fixes it; shadowplay was idle and not actually recording, but its instant replay feature was on so maybe disabling that would fix it

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

drat I am having a lot more fun in this game than I expected. Verdant Brink has got to be up there with some of my favorite MMO zones.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I started playing this game, joined the goon guild, and got my mesmer to around lvl 17. I'm really on the fence if I want to continue or not.
The last MMO I played was FFXIV, and I had a shitton of fun. GW2 has one major advantage over FFXIV though, the active combat. It just feels more....clunky to me though. I also play with a combination of a gamepad and the mouse (I have problems using my fingers and hands), and I feel like I'm always fighting with the GW2 controls. (swimming is a nightmare, and casting any AOE abilities that require placing is a good luck scenario)
I want to make this game work - the mesmer class seems fun, the emphasis on looks and just romping around is cool- but I feel like there's too many things pushing back against me. Playing the game seems like "Hopefully it will get better soon" and not something I can just get lost in.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's kinda funny reading that between GW2 and FF14, the former is considered to be the "clunky" one when it comes to combat and controls :v:

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Valicious posted:

I started playing this game, joined the goon guild, and got my mesmer to around lvl 17. I'm really on the fence if I want to continue or not.
The last MMO I played was FFXIV, and I had a shitton of fun. GW2 has one major advantage over FFXIV though, the active combat. It just feels more....clunky to me though. I also play with a combination of a gamepad and the mouse (I have problems using my fingers and hands), and I feel like I'm always fighting with the GW2 controls. (swimming is a nightmare, and casting any AOE abilities that require placing is a good luck scenario)
I want to make this game work - the mesmer class seems fun, the emphasis on looks and just romping around is cool- but I feel like there's too many things pushing back against me. Playing the game seems like "Hopefully it will get better soon" and not something I can just get lost in.

Underwater combat is clunky, that's not just you (although I can see how gamepad/mouse would make it worse). You can bind a button to swim down (swim up should already share with jump) and that might help, but I imagine buttons are at a premium as it is.

For AoEs, you might play with the "Snap Ground Target to Current Target" setting. It basically does what it says: if you have a target, AoEs will center on that target instead of your mouse cursor. There are also keybindings you can use if you only want this effect some of the time: "Snap Ground Target" will do that only if you're holding the button, and "Toggle Snap Ground Target", well, turns it on or off entirely. That said, it also intentionally doesn't work with skills like Blink (because you probably don't want to jump right on top of the enemy :v:), so, uh, plan accordingly.

You might also try the action camera mode: it basically keeps mouse-look on (so you don't have to keep holding right-click to do that) and has you fire skills in the direction of your crosshair (with some aim assist if you have autotargeting turned on). You have to bind a key to "Toggle Action Camera" to use it. It's not really well-documented in my opinion, but you might look at https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-action-camera/ and https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Action-Camera-Further-Information/first to start with there. I'm not sure if it'll actually be an improvement for your situation, but it's worth a shot.

orcane posted:

It's kinda funny reading that between GW2 and FF14, the former is considered to be the "clunky" one when it comes to combat and controls :v:
FF14 has controller support built-in (because, y'know, consoles), so it tries not to do terrible things to controller players. GW2... Have you done much in the way of jumping puzzles, Valicious?

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Valicious posted:

Mesmer is a really bad starter class. It's mostly a utility class in PvE that really benefits from all the traits and utilities that you unlock around max level. Personally I feel like the default settings are also really bad. Turn off melee assist, turn on max range and instant cast (or cast on button release) for ranged skills, turn off camera shake, turn on skill retargeting, free camera, rebind all skills to the right of your weapon skills, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I would say try ele if you're​ a beginner. Great deeps alot of buttons to spam can be tanky or glass cannon.

• Locked thread