Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013

Lol did not stop. Money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
that's life

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

etalian posted:

Rome:Total War owned
Yeah, what a blast from the past. Someone going for a war dog reference in this day and age

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Do Chinese regularly drink Lapsang Souchung? I have no idea why the chain supermarket near me got a shelf full of tinned lapsang souchung for sale suddenly, and not at a low price. Some granny is going to be pissed.
The first time I had it, I bought some organic stuff from a Tibetan guy in the US and went home. I was LOLing at the barbecue aroma and flavor. It was completely a novelty. I used it as a joke when I served tea to someone, and they said it reminded them of when they used to smoke a pack a day.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Vesi posted:

runny egg has lower bioavailability so by not cooking it properly you're wasting food and basically eating plastic

Is bioavailability the new macrobiotic?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm going to need to try out that fish ball museum the next time I have to work in Taipei. I usually only have a single day to wander around and recover from jet lag, and fish balls sound like the perfect remedy for that.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Going to the Great Wall will kinda suck, because Beijing and surroundings kinda suck. The Wall is alright.

would you say, then, that it's not that great?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There's a Nougat museum in New Taipei City.

Here's a weird one from Thailand today: I finally found the Sony Service Center. It was through a door immediately behind the two guys who pointed me in the wrong direction the previous time I looked for it. While I was waiting for them to create my service ticket, I noticed an informercial on their TV. The odd thing was that the brand of the product being advertised, some kind of spray painter, was blurred out. It felt like some kind of bizarre post modern art experience.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

WarpedNaba posted:

Is bioavailability the new macrobiotic?

Probably, and they'll have an even stupider idea of what it is than macrobiotic. Bioavailability is literally 'how easily can the body break it down and use it'. So long chain molecules are generally harder than short, plant cellulose is harder to breakdown than equivalent fruit etc. (I think, biochem and relevant classes were aong time ago).

But someone should advertise 'high bioavailability energy water' which is just sugar in water and make a fortune.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Haier posted:

Do Chinese regularly drink Lapsang Souchung? I have no idea why the chain supermarket near me got a shelf full of tinned lapsang souchung for sale suddenly, and not at a low price. Some granny is going to be pissed.
The first time I had it, I bought some organic stuff from a Tibetan guy in the US and went home. I was LOLing at the barbecue aroma and flavor. It was completely a novelty. I used it as a joke when I served tea to someone, and they said it reminded them of when they used to smoke a pack a day.

From what I've read, it's almost entirely a tea that westerners drink. The growers make a good deal of money from it but view it as a weird thing that just happened to catch on outside of China.

Maybe they're trying to sell it back to the home market now as an exotic "foreigner" preferred tea?

All my evidence is just based on little things I've read here and there over the years, if anyone has more concrete info please chime in.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Mods please merge all Japanese and Korean threads into this thread, as all are China, thank you for respecting our culture.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Don't go to Taiwan for the beaches though. They have the nicest lakes and warm seas, but swimming is banned everywhere :psyduck: You can't even go snorkeling without wearing a mandatory life vest.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

peak debt posted:

Don't go to Taiwan for the beaches though. They have the nicest lakes and warm seas, but swimming is banned everywhere :psyduck: You can't even go snorkeling without wearing a mandatory life vest.

There are ghosts and you might drown.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I don't get what's so great about lapsang souchong either, but I suspect part of the appeal is how supposedly manly it is to enjoy smokey flavours.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I guess some people enjoy smoky flavors and some don't.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
3 years in china i never went and saw the great wall.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Grevling posted:

I don't get what's so great about lapsang souchong either, but I suspect part of the appeal is how supposedly manly it is to enjoy smokey flavours.

Wikipedia says Winston Churchill drank it. He's pretty much the best British person from the last 200? years.

I'm a big Lagavulin whiskey fan, but lapsang souchang is maybe just so so. Tiegaunyin and puer are where its at.

I miss going to the tea shop and having the tea lady do gongfucha.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I drink tea that I get from my Iranian mom that's written in Farsi and I have no idea what type/brand it is or if it is garbage or good. It's def black tea and I steep it using my sick as gently caress gaudy samovar that I got when I was over there 12 years ago.

KillingPablo
Apr 5, 2003

WHOO! I am DEFINITELY not afraid of the fucking POLICE right now!
Today I made the mistake of trying to engage in a serious discussion of the THAAD issue with one of my colleagues. To be honest I'm not super well educated on the subject, but I looked into it a few days ago since everyone has been talking about it recently. Anyways, my colleague asked my opinion on it, and I said it was honestly a little silly that China was making such a big deal over the issue when all it served to do was make them look like a bully. Among the things my colleague said were:

- "America is putting China under siege."
- "China is peaceful and would never go to war, so this is probably the US taking steps to attack China."
- "If China's neighbors start shooting missiles, China won't be able to defend itself."
- "North Korea is a peaceful country, and is only defending itself from the Americans and Japanese."

Ultimately I excused myself to do some work since it was abundantly clear my coworker has bought into the "evil empire" narrative. Pointing out her hypocrisy and errors in logic was pointless, since all she wanted to hear me say that the US is trying to beat down China. It was a little eye-opening to see how big of a persecution-complex some people have here.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
It's just the good old nationalist/fascist narrative: Always the victim, but at the same time infinitely powerful.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

doesn't thaad have a short range and a pretty high failure rate?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

hakimashou posted:

Wikipedia says Winston Churchill drank it. He's pretty much the best British person from the last 200? years.

I'm a big Lagavulin whiskey fan, but lapsang souchang is maybe just so so. Tiegaunyin and puer are where its at.

I miss going to the tea shop and having the tea lady do gongfucha.
"I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."
- Best British Person apparently

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Deceitful Penguin posted:

"I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."
- Best British Person apparently

That's not really a high bar, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lapsang is absolutely a given to foreigners import back again product

Puer is the only tea worth drinking, preferably in stifling heat on a back porch while playing an astounding amount of mahjong.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

mojo1701a posted:

That's not really a high bar, though.
It is when you have [lists a bunch of fantasy authors like Terry Pratchett and China Miéville like a loving nerd]

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

basic hitler posted:

doesn't thaad have a short range and a pretty high failure rate?

How short is short? And its success rate is pretty good. You might be thinking of the other defense system in the Aleutians.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

How short is short? And its success rate is pretty good. You might be thinking of the other defense system in the Aleutians.
Wasn't it earlier versions of Patriot that came under fire for being pretty inaccurate, and operators often had to fire multiple missiles against each target because the kill probability of each missile was so low?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

KillingPablo posted:

Today I made the mistake of trying to engage in a serious discussion of the THAAD issue with one of my colleagues. To be honest I'm not super well educated on the subject, but I looked into it a few days ago since everyone has been talking about it recently. Anyways, my colleague asked my opinion on it, and I said it was honestly a little silly that China was making such a big deal over the issue when all it served to do was make them look like a bully. Among the things my colleague said were:

- "America is putting China under siege."
- "China is peaceful and would never go to war, so this is probably the US taking steps to attack China."
- "If China's neighbors start shooting missiles, China won't be able to defend itself."
- "North Korea is a peaceful country, and is only defending itself from the Americans and Japanese."

Ultimately I excused myself to do some work since it was abundantly clear my coworker has bought into the "evil empire" narrative. Pointing out her hypocrisy and errors in logic was pointless, since all she wanted to hear me say that the US is trying to beat down China. It was a little eye-opening to see how big of a persecution-complex some people have here.

Ask her what she thinks about all the patriot missile defense batteries already in South Korea.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

peak debt posted:

They have one lake and you can't swim in it nor would you want to

Swimming is not banned you or your friends who told you this are total idiots, maybe you were in some tourist area with liability?

I've gone snorkeling and surfing all over, 花蓮 白沙灣 墾丁 , no one uses life jackets if they know how to swim foreigner and local alike

White sand beaches aren't common but they are very very nice

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
North Korea actually is defending itself but they are not a good country, I think even Chinese have to admit this

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Puer tea smells like cum why would you want to drink that

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

LentThem posted:

Puer tea smells like cum why would you want to drink that

love cum

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If your cum smells like puer you might want to consult a doctor

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
There's nothing like puer cum.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If your cum tastes like puer good for KTV girl healthy

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

If you can make a bull's semen taste like pu-erh, I'm sure you've found an untapped TCM market.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We must protect the puer-ity of our essence.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Chaoshan Girl came to stay the night. I had her play GTA 5 (with a game pad), and the last time she said she had played a game was maybe never. I explained that it was based on Los Angeles and southern and other parts of California, and it was an exploration-type game.

I spawned a golf cart for her to learn how to drive on (it has good handling and doesn't go too fast). I told her she had to follow the red and green lights and not to break traffic laws. She was freaking out since she's never driven a car before and didn't know what to do. When she would veer into other lanes, I would shout that this was the USA, and she can't drive like a Chinese. When she finally bumped into another car, I told her the driver might get out and ask for money. When the cops drove by I told her to get on the sidewalk because the golf cart wasn't street legal.
She was freaking out and paranoid, and it was fantastic trying to convince her this is how America really is. Her amazement at the size of the game and weather and day/night changes made her keep trying. She kept commenting how beautiful such and such was. I finally told her what "grand theft auto" means in a legal sense, and she didn't believe it. She kept mashing the Y button (get in/out of or steal a car), which caused her to pull someone out of car and then stand there and get her rear end kicked. When she realized she could run people over she began a purge of every biker and sidewalker she could find, while screaming and shouting every time and saying she doesn't like violence (yet still doing it).

I want to take this experiment to more non-gaming Chinese people if I can, and make is as bland and serious as Tokyo Bus Guide (classic Dreamcast bus driving sim), and throw a fuss every time they deviate from the rules.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
You're a monster.

Please report back with further findings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

Chaoshan Girl came to stay the night. I had her play GTA 5 (with a game pad), and the last time she said she had played a game was maybe never. I explained that it was based on Los Angeles and southern and other parts of California, and it was an exploration-type game.

I spawned a golf cart for her to learn how to drive on (it has good handling and doesn't go too fast). I told her she had to follow the red and green lights and not to break traffic laws. She was freaking out since she's never driven a car before and didn't know what to do. When she would veer into other lanes, I would shout that this was the USA, and she can't drive like a Chinese. When she finally bumped into another car, I told her the driver might get out and ask for money. When the cops drove by I told her to get on the sidewalk because the golf cart wasn't street legal.
She was freaking out and paranoid, and it was fantastic trying to convince her this is how America really is. Her amazement at the size of the game and weather and day/night changes made her keep trying. She kept commenting how beautiful such and such was. I finally told her what "grand theft auto" means in a legal sense, and she didn't believe it. She kept mashing the Y button (get in/out of or steal a car), which caused her to pull someone out of car and then stand there and get her rear end kicked. When she realized she could run people over she began a purge of every biker and sidewalker she could find, while screaming and shouting every time and saying she doesn't like violence (yet still doing it).

I want to take this experiment to more non-gaming Chinese people if I can, and make is as bland and serious as Tokyo Bus Guide (classic Dreamcast bus driving sim), and throw a fuss every time they deviate from the rules.

I played GTA3 in front of a Thai girl and I said "Oh this man is evil, look, he is shooting this woman, uh oh now he has shot a policeman, this is a bad man, now he has stolen a car and is running over people with it" and she was very adamantly saying to me "No! It's you! You are the bad one!" and that particular girl was pretty dumb so I'm not sure if she was just being playful or if she thought she ought to convince me that it was actually my motivations that were suspect.

• Locked thread