Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

I am pretty dedicated to eating well on any trips I take, but even I wouldn't take my own waffle maker with me while traveling.

I've actually flown with my old waffle maker twice now. It started as sort of a joke when my tattoo artist's shop manager said that waffles sucked and pancakes were infinitely better. I wasn't about to argue which was better, but I was drat well going to defend the waffle. So I flew my waffle maker up to the shop, along with a triple berry compote and I made overnight waffles with the berries, bourbon barrel aged maple syrup and fresh whipped cream, because I don't gently caress around with lovely waffles. Since then, it's actually turned into a thing and I've planned a breakfast for the entire shop every time I have flown in to work on my tattoo. We've now done 6 breakfast, two of which were waffles. I've also flown a pancake griddle, a sous vide circulator and an ebelskiver pan. Oh and I also flew two loaves of banana bread to Costa Rica for her and her shop-mates when I met them at a convention down there.

Edit: For the record, I didn't pick this waffle maker because I thought it would fly better, I just wanted a nice waffle maker. That being said, it would probably pack better than my last one should I fly with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
How fuckin rich are you? And can I have some?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
New shoes and parts

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

How fuckin rich are you? And can I have some?

I'm not. The travel is all free because I fly close to every other week for work and rack up airline/hotel miles. I kind of like doing the pop up breakfast chef thing though because it's a fun way to tip my artist and a great way to make friends with everyone in the shop. I do buy a lot of random food gadgets though. For instance, I decided I can't just use my stand mixer to go making whipped cream for these waffles, so I ordered one of these.

I've actually wanted one for generally loving around with making infused booze and flavoring extracts for beer brewing for a while, so I'll definitely get use out of this thing beyond whipped cream.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's pretty cool, my dude.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

rockcity posted:

I'm not. The travel is all free because I fly close to every other week for work and rack up airline/hotel miles. I kind of like doing the pop up breakfast chef thing though because it's a fun way to tip my artist and a great way to make friends with everyone in the shop. I do buy a lot of random food gadgets though. For instance, I decided I can't just use my stand mixer to go making whipped cream for these waffles, so I ordered one of these.

I've actually wanted one for generally loving around with making infused booze and flavoring extracts for beer brewing for a while, so I'll definitely get use out of this thing beyond whipped cream.

May I suggest whippits!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

rockcity posted:

This is a good post.

Now tell me the secret of how to use it to infuse booze. I have the one pictured and a large one but that you can't heat. I will infuse all the boozes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I feel like I've seen those used for soda water or something at bars.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ultimate Mango posted:

This is a good post.

Now tell me the secret of how to use it to infuse booze. I have the one pictured and a large one but that you can't heat. I will infuse all the boozes.

I just read a thing about this a couple days ago. From what I understand you basically just add your ingredients, pressurize, and wait a few minutes. Let the pressure off slowly, then strain your newly infused booze.

Edit: found the article.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like I've seen those used for soda water or something at bars.

They're probably using it for exactly what I'm talking about and it's stupid simple. Basically you can make any flavor of vodka in like 20 seconds by just adding vokda (or any alcohol) and whatever you want into the cream whipper, charging it with the N2O cartridge, shaking it up and then releasing out the N2O and pouring out the liquid. The science is fairly simple, it's that when you infuse the N2O it gets into whatever you put in there like fruit, herbs, bacon, whatever the gently caress and then when you release it, it gets sucked back out, taking the flavor of that item with it and rapidly infusing it into the alcohol. What would take a couple days to weeks of infusing by just putting it in the bottle now takes less than a minute and you can make whatever flavor you want on the fly.

You can do the same process with higher concentrations of the flavorings to create tinctures (extracts) that can be used to flavor things as well. I've heard of a few brewers doing this to infuse certain flavors into beers that can be hard to properly gauge by steeping whatever ingredient into an entire batch.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Rad Lieutenant posted:

New shoes and parts

Those Empires are ultra sexy. I've got the regular (ACC) ones and I am super jealous.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You'll laugh but I bought a Zinus 12" mattress (and frame) from Amazon and I couldn't be more pleased. It sleeps just fine, and I enjoyed using those extra thousands of dollars on other goods and services. That said, my wife and I are normal sized adults so I don't know how this holds up if you're "big."
:same:

I got those in January to replace a Serta mattress that I'd been sleeping on for 10 years. I get a better sleep on the Zinus than I ever did on the Serta and the Serta probably cost at least a couple hundred more.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You'll laugh but I bought a Zinus 12" mattress (and frame) from Amazon and I couldn't be more pleased. It sleeps just fine, and I enjoyed using those extra thousands of dollars on other goods and services. That said, my wife and I are normal sized adults so I don't know how this holds up if you're "big."
Why would we laugh? Did you just the memory foam mattress or a different one?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I bought an adult toy to play with beeps and blips

Korg Volca Sample

Sample was all sad and lonely so I had to buy it a buddy. Welcome Keys.

these toys are ridiculously funny :homebrew:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
What's wrong with Ikea mattresses?

I tried one of their £230 in the shops (Hoevarg? ) and it seemed fine.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

spog posted:

I tried one of their £230 in the shops (Hoevarg? ) and it seemed fine.

Yeah, we have one of the memory foam ones and it's absolutely fine. It's not like sleeping on clouds but I'm definitely getting better sleep on it than on other cheapo mattresses.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spog posted:

Nerds have thing A so they have to hate things B and C and also anything that's less expensive than A. Welcome to SA.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sappo569 posted:

I bought a fancy lamp

Did you get Touch, too?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Sappo569 posted:

I bought a fancy lamp

I keep expecting your lamp to turn and look at me in bewilderment after stomping a capital I flat.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Did you get Touch, too?

Yep , I've been trying to play room scale games and without a 3rd sensor my hands are constantly losing tracking when turning around

Really they should just give you the option to buy the whole thing with 3 sensors since I imagine 80% of their customer base would want one

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I think we'll see a "room-scale bundle" at some point.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

M40x have enough funk for your rear end.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

rockcity posted:

I've actually flown with my old waffle maker twice now. It started as sort of a joke when my tattoo artist's shop manager said that waffles sucked and pancakes were infinitely better. I wasn't about to argue which was better, but I was drat well going to defend the waffle. So I flew my waffle maker up to the shop, along with a triple berry compote and I made overnight waffles with the berries, bourbon barrel aged maple syrup and fresh whipped cream, because I don't gently caress around with lovely waffles. Since then, it's actually turned into a thing and I've planned a breakfast for the entire shop every time I have flown in to work on my tattoo. We've now done 6 breakfast, two of which were waffles. I've also flown a pancake griddle, a sous vide circulator and an ebelskiver pan. Oh and I also flew two loaves of banana bread to Costa Rica for her and her shop-mates when I met them at a convention down there.

Edit: For the record, I didn't pick this waffle maker because I thought it would fly better, I just wanted a nice waffle maker. That being said, it would probably pack better than my last one should I fly with it.

You are a class act.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rockcity posted:

They're probably using it for exactly what I'm talking about and it's stupid simple. Basically you can make any flavor of vodka in like 20 seconds by just adding vokda (or any alcohol) and whatever you want into the cream whipper, charging it with the N2O cartridge, shaking it up and then releasing out the N2O and pouring out the liquid. The science is fairly simple, it's that when you infuse the N2O it gets into whatever you put in there like fruit, herbs, bacon, whatever the gently caress and then when you release it, it gets sucked back out, taking the flavor of that item with it and rapidly infusing it into the alcohol. What would take a couple days to weeks of infusing by just putting it in the bottle now takes less than a minute and you can make whatever flavor you want on the fly.

You can do the same process with higher concentrations of the flavorings to create tinctures (extracts) that can be used to flavor things as well. I've heard of a few brewers doing this to infuse certain flavors into beers that can be hard to properly gauge by steeping whatever ingredient into an entire batch.

You can also us CO2 cartridges with it to make carbonated fruit. Start with fruit that's fairly sweet and wet (watermelon chunks are good) then charge it with a couple CO2 chargers. Let it sit for an hour or so, then slowly release the gas and enjoy your carbonated fruit. Grapes work well too but you need to slice them in half. Serve immediately. You need something sweet because the carbonic acid makes it less sweet (think flat soda versus carbonated soda).

I haven't found a good use for fizzy fruit, mind you. But it's tasty.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

rockcity posted:

lol so this is what you have to do to get time with Teresa Sharpe :)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My dude :respek:

I'm a side sleeper and I love mine. It was like 400 dollars for a queen that came with a frame and headboard, but the headboard came scratched on the backside so amazon refunded the entire order :coal:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You can also us CO2 cartridges with it to make carbonated fruit. Start with fruit that's fairly sweet and wet (watermelon chunks are good) then charge it with a couple CO2 chargers. Let it sit for an hour or so, then slowly release the gas and enjoy your carbonated fruit. Grapes work well too but you need to slice them in half. Serve immediately. You need something sweet because the carbonic acid makes it less sweet (think flat soda versus carbonated soda).

I haven't found a good use for fizzy fruit, mind you. But it's tasty.

I did read you can do it with the CO2 cartridges and funny enough, I was planning on making it with dry ice for a party in a couple of weeks. I'm going to have more people there than I'd want to be doing it in the siphon, so dry ice should work better. I might pick up some CO2 cartridges to screw around with other things though and possibly to have around for non-party things.

Menstrual Show posted:

lol so this is what you have to do to get time with Teresa Sharpe :)

Certainly doesn't hurt. I'd argue it gets me up toward the top of the list for her manager when she opens up a new month so I get a good pick of dates. I'm also planning to do dinner next time I go up since it's one of her other artist's birthday. Thinking the sous vide circulator will be making a return and maybe the new cream whipper for some kind of instant mousse dessert.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

When you say "flew in," what do you actually mean? You have a concierge or something that puts it on a plane to you? How is it not infinitely cheaper to just buy another one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't trust any waffle maker that doesn't flip over.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

When you say "flew in," what do you actually mean? You have a concierge or something that puts it on a plane to you? How is it not infinitely cheaper to just buy another one.

No, I'm actually flying with these things. I fly from Florida to Virginia to see the tattoo artist I am currently going to. Bringing food equipment with me costs me nothing because I fly a lot for work and get free checked bags. Shipping it all around would in fact be pretty ridiculous, or at least more so than what I'm actually doing.

As for the flip waffle maker, my last one was and that is largely why it broke. The handled snapped flying it home the first time and it was about 10 years old and replacement handles aren't available anymore. I epoxied it and got another few more months out of it and then it snapped again in air travel. On the way home the other side that rotates broke and now it's really dead. Hence the new waffle maker. Reviews on the Breville are basically overwhelmingly positive, with most conceding that it is a very expensive waffle maker. This one looks to somewhat get around the flipping by how the plates are designed with the outer walls being very tall to allow the batter to get pushed up against the top plate better. I'll be giving it a trial run in two weeks when I have some friends in town.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Oh, that's good. I was thinking it was just absurd in my mind haha.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

Oh, that's good. I was thinking it was just absurd in my mind haha.

I completely own any absurdity. I've also flown a suitcase full of nothing but 12 22oz bottles of beer that I brewed for a party they were having. I'm also considering getting a second set of foam for a Pelican case that I have specifically for when I travel with beer, which is actually pretty often. I have also, with at least some sincerity, considered contacting TSA to see if I could legally check a 5 gallon keg on an airplane. I can not find anything specifically prohibiting it.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I bought a new laptop. Insurance paid for it but it was still fuckin' painful to put on my credit card.

System 76 Oryx Pro, because to hell with a 2016 Macbook.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That looks like it weighs at least 12 lbs.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

That looks like it weighs at least 12 lbs.

5.5. More than a MacBook by a fair shot, but heck I'm a strongish, athletic person, I can deal with a 5lb laptop. I'm not exactly jet setting around with it, just taking it to work.

(they've got thin and light models also if you're so inclined)

mystes
May 31, 2006

rockcity posted:

I need this. I wonder if I can make my own hot pepper liqueur.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

You can, but unless you absolutely need it in the next ten minutes, you'd be just as well letting them infuse in a mason jar for a few days.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mystes posted:

As someone who has done a shot of habanero infused vodka with a spice tolerance of "mild" on a scale of 1-10 at Asian food places I can tell you it is both the best and worst idea. There were a dozen or so habaneros mixed with less than a bottle of vodka and left to soak for far too long.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

rockcity posted:

I did read you can do it with the CO2 cartridges and funny enough, I was planning on making it with dry ice for a party in a couple of weeks. I'm going to have more people there than I'd want to be doing it in the siphon, so dry ice should work better. I might pick up some CO2 cartridges to screw around with other things though and possibly to have around for non-party things.

Certainly doesn't hurt. I'd argue it gets me up toward the top of the list for her manager when she opens up a new month so I get a good pick of dates. I'm also planning to do dinner next time I go up since it's one of her other artist's birthday. Thinking the sous vide circulator will be making a return and maybe the new cream whipper for some kind of instant mousse dessert.

I do a cherry basil sorbet with carbonated cherries,

http://kitchenconfidante.com/cherry-basil-sorbet-recipe

Now its requested like every 3rd time I go to a dinner party.

You can also do a lime basil sorbet with carbonated cherries.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/basil-and-lime-sorbet-recipe

Both get an internet man who you dont know's mark of approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

strangemusic posted:

I bought a new laptop. Insurance paid for it but it was still fuckin' painful to put on my credit card.

System 76 Oryx Pro, because to hell with a 2016 Macbook.

Not to shop shame, but what do you use a PC like that running Ubuntu for?