Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Macaluso posted:

I mean if I was a reviewer I would personally find it hard to not be comparing Ori and the Blind Forest to Hollow Knight the entire time, cause they're similar in a ton of ways. And Hallow Knight wouldn't come out anywhere near as good to me because Ori is one of the best platformers I've played... ever in my life. I'd totally be fawning over Ori too

Granted I'd probably mention that bias up front though

Personally everything about Hollow Knight is knocking it out of the park for me while I was never too impressed with anything in Ori aside from the graphics. For some reason the gameplay in Ori tended to sort of rub me the wrong way. I'm liking Hollow Knight's a lot better, and I think all the Dark Souls influence really helps it stand out, as long as you're a fan of Dark Souls style setting and storytelling. I could definitely see getting annoyed at all of the anti-QoL features like the mapping but personally they're really helping me feel immersed in the game. It really feels like you're exploring an ancient lost kingdom rather than trying to get to the boss of level 4, which is pretty rare for me with this kind of game.

Palpek posted:

I'd wait for more people to play Andromeda before dogpiling on it. People realized pretty quickly when Dragon Age 2 was awful so it's not like there's some extreme headstart needed.

I'm assuming the multiplayer will be at least a good as ME3s, which is the main reason I want it. It seems like it would be hard to mess up since all the have to do is take ME3 multiplayers and put Andromeda assets in it, but after Inquisition's MP being kinda lousy I'm still going to wait,

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How does mapping work in Hollow Knight?
I don't like it when 2D exploration based games don't have a map because it's a lot harder to parse where areas connect to each other when it's not in 3D.
That was one of my main complaints about Salt & Sanctuary.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was hoping they'd at least expand the multiplayer but it looks like just the same old horde mode with 7 waves instead of 10. Co-op story missions, humans vs. zombies aliens, something new.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't like it when 2D exploration based games don't have a map because it's a lot harder to parse where areas connect to each other when it's not in 3D.

I didn't actually play so I may get some of this wrong, but from what I've seen there's a map vendor who updates your map when you find him, and you can buy various map upgrades like compasses and treasure locations and stuff from him. So it has a map but it's not just there by default.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah that's fine then.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Congratulations. I have nowhere near the wherewithal to do all that

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Sakurazuka posted:

You can find the map vendor NPC in each area and he'll give you an incomplete map of that area. In addition, you have to buy the different types of markers (for NPCs, save points, fast travel points etc) for them to show up on your map. You also have to buy an ink and quill, which lets you fill in the missing parts of the incomplete map you're given by the map vendor by exploring the map itself and then sitting on a bench (save point), at which point your map will update with all the newly explored spaces. It's kind of annoying that you don't immediately start drawing a map of a new area once you enter it though - even if you've explored a chunk of it on your own, you won't be able to see any of that mapped area until you find the map vendor and buy that area's map. Some people think it's kinda lovely to gate a lot of the map features behind items you have to buy when they'd be standard in a different metroidvania, but I'm cool with it. I'm more ambivalent on the fact that the game gives you very few ability slots (you start off with three and slowly accrue more through exploration), some abilities require more than one slot, and seeing where you are on the map takes up a slot. You find a lot more slottable abilities than you find new slots, and taking away a really basic utility if you don't want to spare a slot on the map ability disincentivises experimenting with new abilities imo.

It's a pretty game with a lot of good points, but I quit playing it because there are a lot of bosses and the save point system makes fighting bosses a huge boring chore.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hmm that sounds less good, I'm already kind of mad at Nier for doing a similar thing with it's mod slots.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

raditts posted:

You live in PA? The only redeeming factor of Lancaster County is the metric shitload of variety in places that will get you fuckin drunk.

Yeah, I'm in Johnstown aka the dead steel city. Of the 3 major steel cities, Johnstown went kaput because it kept getting flooded so people were like "gently caress this" and now it's just kind of real sad here lol. Lancaster is a good 3~ hours off from us but it seems like it'd be a fun trip.

Unrelated but talking about Lancaster reminded me of this girl I knew in college who was from Lancaster who was a writing major, but she was really disappointed with the classes because they kept asking her to write about things that weren't just happy stories and she just wanted to write happy stories without sadness or anger or anything, and when I tried explaining that writing outside of your comfort zone is a way to help round out your skills and write better, she rejected it entirely. She got into the writing major because she wanted to one day go work for a video game company as a writer. I remember her telling me that her dad would tell her that she shouldn't just focus entirely on video game writing, but her takeaway from that was that she should do more than just focus on video game writing, that she should go all in on it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Make the hacking mini game picross and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

There could be a cool twist moment where you try to hack the highest security level and it's 3D picross

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My favourite hacking minigame is the one from Bioshock. I LOVE playing pipe dreams and have had a ton of f2p pipe games on my phones over the years. I love making long wacky pipes before time runs out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pipe Dreams/Mania was one of the only videogames I ever got my parents to play.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Deus Ex: Human Revolution had a pretty cool hacking minigame.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VideoGames posted:

My favourite hacking minigame is the one from Bioshock. I LOVE playing pipe dreams and have had a ton of f2p pipe games on my phones over the years. I love making long wacky pipes before time runs out.

My only issue with that minigame is that if you don't use the difficulty reduction tonics you can run into ones that are literally impossible to complete (alarm/shock tiles making a solid wall) later on in the game, which felt a bit cheap! I get why they didn't want to interrupt Bioshock 2's more action-oriented gameplay with it and went with the rhythm game thing instead, but I did miss it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Dragon Age Inquisition was called a "return to form" for Bioware for long enough that I stupidly bought it, not falling for that again.

mindblowing on "Crash won an Oscar" levels of bullshit that, in a year where we got Mario Kart 8, Smash Brothers 4, and Bayonetta 2(!!) the GOTY went to DA:I for a majority of outlets. It was the year before the PS4/X1 actually found their footing so maybe everyone who didn't have a WiiU was just loving desperate because the choices were down to Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Inquisition was perfectly okay, definitely not without its flaws, but an otherwise solid RPG in a weak year overall for RPGs. I think around this time many goons had already forsworn their holy crusade against Bioware and the evil EA empire so opinions around here tend to get a bit exaggerated.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Bioshock pipe dream hacking was cool except there was way too much poo poo to hack for such an involved minigame.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Inquisition was perfectly okay, definitely not without its flaws, but an otherwise solid RPG in a weak year overall for RPGs. I think around this time many goons had already forsworn their holy crusade against Bioware and the evil EA empire so opinions around here tend to get a bit exaggerated.

loving MMOs have better single player combat and sidequests than DAI

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

I liked the goony collector dude who went crazy over "ancient vessels" that were just old broken coffee mugs.

I liked how Aloy suggests that maybe people just drank out of them and he thinks that's ridiculous, they're far too fancy for that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Last night while playing near, I got a game over from eating a fish. When I say game over I mean I got an ending. GoTY.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I guess it is kind of silly that we meticulously preserve ancient pottery in museums that people probably just pissed and poo poo in every day without a second thought.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

http://www.parenfaire.com/brewfest/index.php

I'm hoping to go to this if we're comfortable enough financially by the time it comes around. It looks like a lot of fun! :)

Lotta breweries, I'll hopefully get to try out all kinds of beers and see if there is anything I enjoy.
http://www.parenfaire.com/brewfest/breweries.php
Do any of you beer fans recognize any of those breweries?

Also, the complimentary food list

Unlimited buffalo chicken mac & cheese sounds rad as gently caress. Also lol at there being additional charges if you wanna buy a pickle tho. Of all the things that they need to add additional charges for, it's the pickle.

This is from many pages ago but I live in Lancaster, about ten minutes north of the city, and found out about this from your post. The Lancaster breweries are all good. Troeggs and Yards are also both very excellent. I've taken recently to enjoying Yards Pale Ale and Love Stout. I've enjoyed every Troeggs I've had, especially the Troeggenator. Look out tho cause it's like 1,000% alcohol (in reality it's 8-9%).

If you make it to this I hope you enjoy Lancaster County. It's pretty good right now, especially with all the new food places downtown. There is something awesome for any type of food you may want. Let me know if you need any specific guidance for your trip to Lancaster Co, I'll point you to the good stuff and steer you from the dumb stuff.

If your into video games also be sure to check out a Just Press Play store while here. They're a locally owned store with four locations now I believe. Great group of people, big selection of older games, their new releases are a few bucks cheaper than major retailers, and there is usually a coupon or two for deals on used/retro games.

Edit: I've never enjoyed a Victory Beer. I've tried several of their beers over the past nine years and never once enjoyed any of them. Lancaster Brewing Cokpany makes a pretty good lager!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 15, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution had a pretty cool hacking minigame.

It was pretty neat, but having the alarm trigger be based on a dice roll which meant that it could trigger on the very first turn of a 20-node network even with all the upgrades was pretty obnoxious. It's like, "oh I guess I have to start over".

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The best videogame hacking is in EYE: Divine Cybermancy. :colbert:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

It was pretty neat, but having the alarm trigger be based on a dice roll which meant that it could trigger on the very first turn of a 20-node network even with all the upgrades was pretty obnoxious. It's like, "oh I guess I have to start over".

Yeah, that was pretty lame.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hi, games chat thread! Palpek, you will be happy to know that I am currently doing a let's play of ode-to-Twin-Peaks video game Alan Wake (I also made this post in The TV IV thread about watching the show for the first time). I am a long time fan of the show. As a bonus feature for said let's play, I'm doing big thoughtposts about the series episode-by-episode and prompting discussion for the thread. For those of you here that haven't seen Twin Peaks or want to watch it again, this is a great opportunity to do so! I'd be happy to have you all take part in the discussion.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mordja posted:

Agreed, hacking an ATM is only cool when it can hack you back.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The best hacking was in Sly Copper where it was just a fun twin stick shooter and happened at determined times.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I accept no hacking that doesn't result in some risk of me going comatose.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CJacobs posted:

Twin Peaks

Not to steal your thunder but I watched Twin Peaks for the first time a few weeks ago when I learned about the new season this summer and after reflecting Alan Wake felt way more like Stephen King: The Video Game

Now Deadly Premonition (from what I've seen) is Twin Peaks with a capital T if the show was completely supernatural elements and dropped the soap opera stuff

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lakbay posted:

Not to steal your thunder but I watched Twin Peaks for the first time a few weeks ago when I learned about the new season this summer and after reflecting Alan Wake felt way more like Stephen King: The Video Game

Now Deadly Premonition (from what I've seen) is Twin Peaks with a capital T if the show was completely supernatural elements and dropped the soap opera stuff

Oh, absolutely, Alan Wake is more inspired by it in setting alone than in tone. But I probably am not going to do a let's play of Deadly Premonition because playing that game makes me want to die, so I have to make due with what I have available.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

WarioWare or NES Remix would make neat hacking minigames if Mario ever decides to go cyberpunk

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Wildtortilla posted:

This is from many pages ago but I live in Lancaster, about ten minutes north of the city, and found out about this from your post. The Lancaster breweries are all good. Troeggs and Yards are also both very excellent. I've taken recently to enjoying Yards Pale Ale and Love Stout. I've enjoyed every Troeggs I've had, especially the Troeggenator. Look out tho cause it's like 1,000% alcohol (in reality it's 8-9%).

If you make it to this I hope you enjoy Lancaster County. It's pretty good right now, especially with all the new food places downtown. There is something awesome for any type of food you may want. Let me know if you need any specific guidance for your trip to Lancaster Co, I'll point you to the good stuff and steer you from the dumb stuff.

If your into video games also be sure to check out a Just Press Play store while here. They're a locally owned store with four locations now I believe. Great group of people, big selection of older games, their new releases are a few bucks cheaper than major retailers, and there is usually a coupon or two for deals on used/retro games.

Edit: I've never enjoyed a Victory Beer. I've tried several of their beers over the past nine years and never once enjoyed any of them. Lancaster Brewing Cokpany makes a pretty good lager!

Just Press Play is pretty cool. There's one in york and it's nice going into a game store that is being run by people who actually like games and aren't trying to sell you all sorts of bullshit stuff.

That said Amazon is still cheaper.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll LP Deadly Premonition but it's just gonna be me whistling the whistling song for 10 hours.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

With this many pa goons in the games chat thread maybe I should consider making a goon meets thread for the brewfest lol

Thank you (and everyone else) for the beer suggestions!

Lancaster seems like it'd at least be a relatively chill place given that my impression of it is that it is largely amish/mennonite territory and they're relatively chill people from what I remember.

I wouldn't mind some guidance though in regards to good places and bad places in lancaster. The divine swine looks like a nice place but the only reason I know of that place is because I think they have a deal going on with the mount hope winery and ren faire where they advertise for each other or something like that. Other than that, I'm not familiar with much of the area around Lancaster other than there being a place called "Intercourse"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mordja posted:

I disagree, it is actually Dystopia, in which you are placed in cyberspace which is a very strange first person shooter where the rules of physics don't apply and there are other hackers lurking trying to kill you with other objectives usually in opposition to yours

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

bloodychill posted:

I disagree, it is actually Dystopia, in which you are placed in cyberspace which is a very strange first person shooter where the rules of physics don't apply and there are other hackers lurking trying to kill you with other objectives usually in opposition to yours

Fuuuuuuuuuck, Dystopia owned (owns? Does anyone still play it?) Well, except that I could never actually get my mind around the hacking. Still, cloaking, silent step, smart pistols 4 LYFE. Throw in a cortex bomb for good measure, though I don't think it ever paid off very well.

Game's still got some of the most satisfying hit sound effects in a shooter and might have even been one of the first to use them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Aw hell yeah, good job Frank.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/officia...ics-on-april-18

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So are they just pretending that duck tales remake doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mordja posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck, Dystopia owned (owns? Does anyone still play it?) Well, except that I could never actually get my mind around the hacking. Still, cloaking, silent step, smart pistols 4 LYFE. Throw in a cortex bomb for good measure, though I don't think it ever paid off very well.

Game's still got some of the most satisfying hit sound effects in a shooter and might have even been one of the first to use them.

Last time I checked was two years ago and no one played it anymore then, which is very unfortunate. I was all about that Boltgun and the Laser Rifle, that was some good poo poo.

• Locked thread