Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

thathonkey posted:

I dont get the rage about el super pan. it's very avg esp for the price. h and f is ok but the main restaurant is better as is fred's at krog market

I'd be willing to bet we're all just nostalgic for the original super pan.

The original had me on the hook for real. The times I've gone to the PCM remake, I honestly couldn't tell you how much I paid - I just never really paid attention. I could come up with legit critiques I'm sure, but my mind never really goes there because I'm eating a loving delicious pork belly bun at super pan (which is open again) and all is right with the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
where/when was the original? didnt realize it had history. why cant MY favorite sandwich place reopen - Kool Korners. will never happen and crazy cuban is the closest we will ever get but i can dream.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Anyone try out Food Terminal on Buford yet? We tried to go today, but it looks like they suddenly changed their schedule and no longer doing Sunday. The concept is like a cafeteria style but with Asian food. Our friend who just came back from living in Malaysia said the food is great.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

AgentHaiTo posted:

Anyone try out Food Terminal on Buford yet? We tried to go today, but it looks like they suddenly changed their schedule and no longer doing Sunday. The concept is like a cafeteria style but with Asian food. Our friend who just came back from living in Malaysia said the food is great.

I'm probably going to check it out this week for lunch. I'm excited. The few people I know who went seemed to like it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

thathonkey posted:

where/when was the original? didnt realize it had history. why cant MY favorite sandwich place reopen - Kool Korners. will never happen and crazy cuban is the closest we will ever get but i can dream.

Kool Korners is still open in our hearts, and in Birmingham if you're willing to make the drive.

El Super Pan was somewhere near the Murder Kroger, and I think it closed sometime around 2012 or 2013. I used to walk there for lunch. Staring at maps now, I can't remember exactly where it was.

e. VVV yeah, that sounds right.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 13, 2017

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Kool Korners is still open in our hearts, and in Birmingham if you're willing to make the drive.

El Super Pan was somewhere near the Murder Kroger, and I think it closed sometime around 2012 or 2013. I used to walk there for lunch. Staring at maps now, I can't remember exactly where it was.

I think it was on Blue Ridge right off of N Highland.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
it was the basement of pura vida, which is closed and is now that dumb barbecue restaurant that isn't very good :)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
oh i know exactly where youre talking about and also glad in not the only one who thinks sweet auburn bbq is a fuckin joke

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

thathonkey posted:

oh i know exactly where youre talking about and also glad in not the only one who thinks sweet auburn bbq is a fuckin joke

pretty much all atlanta barbeque is a fuckin joke, but I'm pretty goddamn hard on barbeque, so if anyone disagrees they're probably objectively right.

(probably just still bitter about how bad my first b's cracklin' ended up being after the hype)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i like community q and daddy d'z and fox bros

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

thathonkey posted:

i like community q and daddy d'z and fox bros

I can get on board with community q, but daddy d'z? better shut that mouth

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ive just been going there forever so it represents a known quantity for me which is probably also affected by nostalgia

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

AgentHaiTo posted:

Went for lunch today. I had their Grandma Wonton BBQ Pork and Roti Canai with Beef Rendang, plus a ginger drink and a strawberry peach black tea. I rather enjoyed it. The pork in the first dish was really tasty and the noodles were good. I think I like the rendang at Mamak better, but this one was still good. It had a bit more spice to it compared to Mamak. The roti and dal were very good. I really enjoyed the ginger drink as I'm a huge fan of ginger beverages. I'll definitely be back for more.

The space is huge and seats a ton of people. There were a lot of people there given it was before noon on a Tuesday. The menu is basically a magazine, and then you order by marking down what you want on a sheet. Some pics of the menu follow.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

mindphlux posted:

I can get on board with community q, but daddy d'z? better shut that mouth

Bad opinion alert

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Any word on Tassa? It sure sounds like it is doing some things off the beaten path and the person I'd tempt the place to is from that region and has had zero strong options that I know of to chase at the best of it here semi-locally for nostalgia and otherwise.

http://tassarotishop.com/

BBQ chat: If in Decatur, go to Smoquehouse---they can do some wonderful things and changed my life in terms of brisket, jerk turkey, brunswick stew, beef ribs(drat you lack of local interest* the last time they tried~), smoked wings, etc.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
hrmm i have yet to find a great brunswick stew in atlanta - thanks for the recommendation

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Any word on Tassa? It sure sounds like it is doing some things off the beaten path and the person I'd tempt the place to is from that region and has had zero strong options that I know of to chase at the best of it here semi-locally for nostalgia and otherwise.

I've been to the Alpharetta location for the lunch buffet and enjoyed it. I rather enjoyed the callaloo and their house ginger beer.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Arepas are delicious and that place in Sweet Aurburn is good stuff.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

mindphlux posted:

pretty much all atlanta barbeque is a fuckin joke, but I'm pretty goddamn hard on barbeque, so if anyone disagrees they're probably objectively right.

I'm from Eastern NC* and thus am required by birthright to roll my eyes at Atlanta "BBQ". That said, whenever I go off the beaten path at some of these places, I have a better experience. The brisket at Fox Bros is good. The chicken at Fat Matt's is good. Etc.

(*whether you think our BBQ is unique and great or terrible vinegar-soaked garbage, you at least have to admit that it's a distinct cultural thing, built up over the ages, which ATL BBQ is not)

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Tassa's buffet is pretty good, though they got rid of the sweet corn coo coo, which sucks. The best thing there IMO is the pork in brown sauce. Would definitely recommend.

There's also another Caribbean restaurant near there in Alpharetta called Caribbean Fiesta, which is also very good. That one is more standard Caribbean food vs. Tassa, which has less common food there along with regular stuff like jerk and curry chicken.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

thathonkey posted:

hrmm i have yet to find a great brunswick stew in atlanta - thanks for the recommendation

I'm sure I've mentioned it before in this thread but just in case: Sprayberry's in Newnan has the best Brunswick Stew (also the best onion rings after you add a shitload of salt. Burgers are good. Pork is aight.)

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The only caution I'd offer on Smoquehouse's brunswick is the last time I was there....too drat long ago now mind as I need to get back...the recipe seemed to have shifted slightly* towards a chunkier style but not then at such a drift so as to effect the flavor. All the brunswick I grew up around in south'ish GA was chunky and terrible in a....what to say..."warmed over last minute Church fare" character----never thought I'd find myself enraptured with the stuff until Smoquehouse forced a bowl on me stating they had their own way of doing things.

My standard for the old times there was to get a bowl of brunswick, which at the zenith was super finely wrought everything but so much put together such that it was still absolutely thick like an all-absorbing unctuous red swamp, then open it up while I devoured an overstuffed brisket on powerful texas toast(this they also had stopped doing of late on account of folks complaining*...damned bog standard plain white bread/bun barbarians messing it up for the rest of us when it could be so much more~) above it---invariably ample brisket would escape that wonderful sandwich only to then land and sink under in the stew, which was then stirred up at the end and consumed with all haste and zeal possible.

Good to know on the Tassa, the Marietta location would probably be the more likely one to pull of the pair---but the prospect of super strong Ginger beer alone is drat enticing as it is an exceedingly hard thing to find a good variety of.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Edgewood's been home to some pretty fascinating if low-key long-term pop-ups. I passed by Hungry Ghost yesterday which seemed to have a cornucopia of popular Asian concepts on a weekly-rotating menu by way of a 8.5x11" sheet of paper on the door and finally popped in tonight. Google says they're open 5pm-4:30 am but first time counter clerk assured me nah man it's only 3am, but "it's my first day."
So- yesterday was 4 kinds of ramen and many Korean burritos (seemed like they'd been watching season 1 of Mind of a Chef in which that's all Momofuku guy does), today was phô and themed bao. Plus some rum cream pies.
I had:
-Horchata
-Chicken and Beignets with fruit compote
-Grilled pork bahn mi

The bahn mi was bizarre. Not your crispy golden Buford roll, but more of a white yeasty po'boy, loads of radish/carrot, crispy kale??? and smashed pulled pork, not your typical pink-seasoned grilled pork. Lots of pickled cucumber, a handful of cilantro, and sweet red peppers in the meat. Pretty wack, but not awful.
The chicken and beignets were goddamn delightful with a sublime floral flavor and there is no reason for them to be that good. Chicken was perfectly crispy and seasoned but tender. The new guy spent about 10 minutes figuring out how to give me whipped cream and powdered sugar to go as well as 2 syrups and fruit but I never asked for it to go and opened his 5 cups at the big wooden table and plated my own... chicken and beignets.

The horchata was actual horchata and had rice bits.
I'm glad they're there. I doubt they'll last.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Does it actually exist/how is the apparent all-you-can-eat buffet at Breakers Korean BBQ? It got the nod on Atlanta Eats last night, alongside a Tassa segment that made the place look even more appetizing in conjunction with the good things said in the thread here, but their website only seems to show picture of delicious looking food and not any finer details on price or the like...

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Does it actually exist/how is the apparent all-you-can-eat buffet at Breakers Korean BBQ?

Go to 9292 instead.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Went to Food Terminal yesterday based on this thread's recommendation.

Lordy.

I now consider myself slighted in terms of grandmother quality, since neither of mine EVER made Pork BBQ Noodles like that. :v:

Can't recall what main dish my buddy got, but we had a few apps too. The Five Spice Shrimp rolls were great, as was the Sambal Okra and the Achat.

At any rate A+++ WOULD GORGE AGAIN L@@K!!!!!!!!!11!!11!11one

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Found a Feb article on that 9292 place---wow does that look/sound the best sort of insane, thanks venutolo~

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've only been to breakers once, but didn't get any itch to go back based on what I had.

I'm super excited about food terminal, and hadn't heard of 9292 - thanks venutolo, you're on top of this poo poo as always!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Just ate at Food Terminal again. Had the five spice shrimp and Thai chili pan mee, plus a virgin mojito soda. All very good. I dig the place. My only minor complaint is that the service has been slow once the food is delivered, so it has taken a while to get a drink refill or the check.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Hungry Ghost round 2: the phô was phônomenal.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Gonna bring my out-of-town Jewish parents to Bagel Palace today for brunch. We expect a good nosh.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Gonna bring my out-of-town Jewish parents to Bagel Palace today for brunch. We expect a good nosh.

i dont know about nosh but i dont find that place to be anything special. if you want to treat your parents to something really nice id call an audible for The General Muir instead. their bagels are probably the best to be had in all of Georgia. they have a bunch of other Jewish stuff too.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I've erred in not mentioning it before, but I love Thank U Chicken in Duluth near-ish Gwinnett Place Mall. Really excellent yangnyeom fried chicken that I have eaten for lunch the last three or four Fridays.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

thathonkey posted:

i dont know about nosh but i dont find that place to be anything special. if you want to treat your parents to something really nice id call an audible for The General Muir instead. their bagels are probably the best to be had in all of Georgia. they have a bunch of other Jewish stuff too.

The General Muir is obviously better food, but there's a special kind of atmosphere only a deli like Bagel Palace can give off.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
We went to Pijou Belly tonite. I liked my Pijou Burger well enough with kimchi, sriracha mayo, and fried egg. I'm always suspicious of Asian fusion food, but somehow when it's Korean and something, I always end up liking it. The kids split a half order of what Pijou calls their famous chicken and it was really salty, even for me, and I'm Filipino, so that's saying something as we have patis running in our veins. I thought it was cooked well though, as it was roasted so the skin was really crispy, but the salt content was raising my blood pressure just taste testing it. I also loved their pickled daikon that they called Mu(I guess that's Korean), but my wife thought they were too sweet, but I like it when it's made that way. My wife got the tonkotsu ramen and she said the broth was tasty, and she liked the generous amount of vegetables in there, but she thought the noodles themselves were just ok.

Also, my wife got slightly annoyed that a Korean couple sat next to us, and ordered from the secret, verbal only authentic Korean menu that was not offered to us. She spent a year in Korea, and can order in Korean. She asked the waitress about it, who said they don't have a paper menu for it, and you just have to know.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
not a dining discovery, but I found nam dae mun farmers market today, near the cobb galleria. I was driving home from up 75, debating going to buford, and thought I'd see if I could find a decent market on the 75 corridor.

I'm sure anyone living up there probably already knows about it, but I was left wondering how I hadn't heard about it. Basically a mid-tier asian farmers market - like the international one in plaza fiesta on Buford, or the vietnamese ones scattered up and down chamblee. pretty decent fish selection, tons of cheap produce, lots of frozen poo poo - I'll definitely be going back.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Morrow/Mt Zion location only opened up a few months ago...and this was after being delayed on opening for well north of a year---also hoping to check it out soon'ish as that report on the gist of things jives pretty well with what a few other folks that have already been are saying. Plus...hope burns for their apparent bakery and other such amenities as YDFM has been on something of a downward slide on quality of late in terms of various bits so having somewhere much closer stands to be quite a boon if the standards wind up solid---head north for Nam Dae Mun, head east for Farmview.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
oh cool, I actually did make a new discovery then! I figured it had been there for decades and I just had never bothered to look.

I got some bread from their bakery, it was very good - baguette. I didn't know it was supposed to be anything special, but it was good enough looking that I tore off a chunk as soon as I got out of the store and just ate some goddamn bread. which isn't something I normally do.

edit : woah so this is actually a chain. there's goddamn 7 of them around the outskirts of Atlanta. learn something new about OTP lyfe erryday.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, that's definitely a good sign on the bread(parking lot bread is the finest of bread)---ostensibly they should have a good/better than usual French foundation of sorts given the whole South Korean angle if memory serves. A place where you can get a proper baguette and, apparently, a whole lamb or goat and all cuts that would arrive at that gestalt should the notion strike is a good one. Supposedly they are (going?) to be doing something with brisket in their in-house cafe, which nobody has quite ventured yet as everybody keeps getting overwhelmed by the general shopping and such, among other things...

Amusingly enough, with this 7th location being so incredibly late in finishing construction and getting open in full, the moment it'll have in the spotlight will be rather brief as they are well on their way on Location #8~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
went to the makan ramen re-do, had a pretty infuriating service experience. didn't have more than a single ramen bowl, so I don't want to comment on food just yet. Any of y'all been?

I'm taking a coworker to food terminal tomorrow evening - anything to avoid or definitely get? looking forward to trying the place.