Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You live in Ukraine Russia?!?

Sebastopol, CA

Chichevache posted:

That's awesome! I've decided to start getting into woodworking lately. I'm carving a spoon! :downswords:

A cool aspect of woodworking is you can do some form of it regardless of how much workspace you have available. Small projects with hand tools can be done in a studio apartment at your kitchen table, if you have a little garage space you can have a few more tools and maybe a dedicated table to work at, scaling on up to a huge barn full of large table tools etc.

I just finished reading Nick Offerman's newest book, Good Clean Fun: Misadventures in Sawdust at Offerman Woodshop where he says as much.

Basically a year ago the local OSH was moving and had a blowout sale, so I picked up a router/router table combo thing for cheap. Made a little shelf, and started thinking more about woodworking. I've done some blacksmithing classes about ten years ago and have some metalworking tools, so my ultimate goal is to combine the disciplines and make furniture and stuff out of steel and wood. The goons in the woodworking thread have been very helpful.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I'll always be a city boy but am insanely jealous of country boy hobbies.

I'm a suburbs boy now, but not really by choice. But see above: you can buy a saw, a drill, and some sharp things and get to making little wood projects at a kitchen table.

186 posted:

I can only make bird houses. :smith:

Making bird houses is a noble and honorable passtime. And potentially profitable, too. Ric Offerman, Nick's dad, makes these:

He uses offcuts and scrap, basically, and sells them for over $120 each, and apparently has no trouble selling all his stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Like he's very jacked but the most annoying kind of chipper imaginable. I never talk to people at the gym so him coming over to shake my hand while I'm on a foam roller listening to podcasts is... not my favorite thing

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I almost died doing the bench press once. For some reason ABBA's Dancing Queen came onto the gym radio and I started laughing and the bar came down on my neck. Why do they play that poo poo at gyms?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chichevache posted:

I almost died doing the bench press once. For some reason ABBA's Dancing Queen came onto the gym radio and I started laughing and the bar came down on my neck. Why do they play that poo poo at gyms?

I've had this happen when that Nickelback song started playing

*unracks weight*

LOOKATTHISPHOTOGRAPH

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

I've had this happen when that Nickelback song started playing

*unracks weight*

LOOKATTHISPHOTOGRAPH

I am very sorry. My sincere condolences.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Gym restrooms are hilarious as well.

Cause you just chilling then turn the corner and some old dude is butt rear end naked and you like uhhhhhh.

Hey Frank!

:allbuttons:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

A Man and his dog posted:

Yeah? Uhhhh no one should be wandering around the gym shirtless

:lol:

You'd think that but we're always telling dudes to put their shirt on or their custom cut tank top that only covers their nips is not cool

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I feel stronger when I lift weights without a shirt on

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

seiferguy posted:

I went to LA Fitness for awhile. Pretty chill, and most weight racks were usually available. The only issue is about once every 6 months, one of the personal trainers would give me a free workout, then try to sell me on one of their personal training programs. Sorry, I'm not paying $150 a month for 5 half hour training sessions. Thanks for the workout, though!

Yeah I go to LA Fitness. It's running/biking distance so I get a pre-workout heading to the gym in the warmer months. There's the occassional muscle-head ogre that has to show off in some way, but other than that, I just get in and get out. No fuss.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Bad Moon posted:

You'd think that but we're always telling dudes to put their shirt on or their custom cut tank top that only covers their nips is not cool

i wear a speedo and tassels at the gym

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

I spent three hours driving to sebastopol and back in order to buy a used table saw tonight

It was worth it, though. It's a Delta 36-451 with a Biesemeyer fence in good condition for $150 and he threw in some dado blades for free as an apology for not having the (easily replaceable) blade guards any more.

I'm gonna get high on sawdust and varnish

my workshop is my gym

What's up my mans. I started woodworking a year ago -- took an intro to woodworking/metal working class at the local art museum. Learned how to weld and use all the shop tools. Most did small stuff for the past year, but bought my first big tool (DeWalt jobsite table saw) a week ago and am loving the world it's opening up to me. Took a picture framing class at Woodcraft a few weeks back and am starting to plan out the jig so I can start framing the posters and art I have.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Bad Moon posted:

I work at a local community center gym and it's pretty nice and comparable to LA Fitness despite being a non profit. It's chill for a gym except The of occasional douche canoe who keeps dropping our weights trying to be cool

Community center gym buddy! Mine is cool and good because it has most of the equipment I want and it's not hard to get my workout in most of the time. I went to a chain gym for two weeks free and hated it mostly because they wouldn't stop contacting me about joining.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

pubic works project posted:

Yeah I go to LA Fitness. It's running/biking distance so I get a pre-workout heading to the gym in the warmer months. There's the occassional muscle-head ogre that has to show off in some way, but other than that, I just get in and get out. No fuss.

The first LA Fitness I went to had a regular. A woman who was totally jacked, and had a mullet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Neil Armbong posted:

What's up my mans. I started woodworking a year ago -- took an intro to woodworking/metal working class at the local art museum. Learned how to weld and use all the shop tools. Most did small stuff for the past year, but bought my first big tool (DeWalt jobsite table saw) a week ago and am loving the world it's opening up to me. Took a picture framing class at Woodcraft a few weeks back and am starting to plan out the jig so I can start framing the posters and art I have.

Yeah! Picture framing is definitely on the agenda. If you have a router, a good set of router bits really opens up the possibilities for fancy framing.

I haven't taken any classes - it's an option, but I think I'm gonna rely on youtube videos and farting around in my garage for a while and then see if I think a class will help.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

seiferguy posted:

The first LA Fitness I went to had a regular. A woman who was totally jacked, and had a mullet.

Sounds like my kinda lady!!!

Haha, my old LA Fitness had this jacked lady who had a big rear end that was all muscle. You'd break your hand if you tried to slap it. All the regular guys loved her.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I think every gym has a lady like that issued to them as we have one. She does body building comps and is yoked as gently caress

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Yeah? Uhhhh no one should be wandering around the gym shirtless

:lol:

This is why I have a home gym, precisely so I can work out shirtless and waste time 'mirin' in the huge mirrors that I personally installed.

Reminder that I am a carpenter by trade

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Chichevache posted:

ABBA owns, I would get pumped hearing that poo poo.

This once came on my gym's radio for some reason but it oddly got me going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l153atE72OA

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Speaking of working out The Dumbbells is a great comedy podcast about working out. It's a great balance to Doughboys which is two guys reviewing Panda Express and Quiznos and poo poo

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Probably Magic posted:

Me, I'm just high... on life. Really makes you think, doesn't it.

Life is a gateway drug

The Marijuana tangent was quite fascinating. I knew people made different strains, but I always pictured it less scientific and more artistic with no real quantifiable data.

I currently do not work out because my wife is mad that she barely sees me as it is and spending an extra hour a day going to the gym was too much. I hope to have my basement cleared out in the next few months to set up a small gym, but that would require me being home enough for my wife to not be mad at me. :v:

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I've been really lucky that all the gyms I've gone to have generally been well maintained and filled with polite, reasonable people. No funny stories about idiots almost killing themselves. Closest is seeing women standing up while using the hip abduction machine and turning it into a twerk trainer.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My grandma suddenly died last week and I just got back from the vet because when I came home I found my cat dying on the floor from throwing a clot. She didn't make it either.

Call your grandmas hug your pets

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

poo poo Spoeank, I'm sorry man.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Spoeank posted:

My grandma suddenly died last week and I just got back from the vet because when I came home I found my cat dying on the floor from throwing a clot. She didn't make it either.

:smith: why must all life end in death

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Jesus that's awful I'm so sorry

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Anals of History posted:

seeing women standing up while using the hip abduction machine and turning it into a twerk trainer.

:allears:

Spoeank posted:

:smith:

At least my grandparents all died decades ago.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Spoeank posted:

I haven't talked to my grandfather in over a year and didn't know him very well, and found out Sunday night he died from a massive heart attack/stroke.

Get to know your relatives while you have them around, even if they're total misanthropes.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
My grandparents were cool enough to die before I was born.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

Sorry to hear that, man. Losing either of those sucks.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Screw anyone who dies because dead people are not team players and I only want team players

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I was real close to my grandmother.

Cool rear end lady who worked her rear end off for her family during the 40s-50s in the coal mine territory of PA.

I cried my eyes out at her funeral. RIP.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Crying is dope.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
My grandmother's dementia is getting pretty bad. Every time I call she keeps asking me if I'm engaged to my ex. Doesn't stop me from calling though.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I'm truly terrified of these next 4 days of betting

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Let's go UNCW!

Also, yeah gambling on college basketball is uhh not easy.

I tried for a few years and had to tap out.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Let's go UNCW!

Also, yeah gambling on college basketball is uhh not easy.

I tried for a few years and had to tap out.

The fact that my Alma mater has done anything on a nationwide scale other than institutional racism is fascinating

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Big Jesus posted:

My grandmother's dementia is getting pretty bad. Every time I call she keeps asking me if I'm engaged to my ex. Doesn't stop me from calling though.

My 63 year old mom is getting to this point. Her sister did the same thing at her age, and died about a year later.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
blizzard bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YJVwUG4ajw

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Can we have some cool weather please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I'm quite jealous, my dog cowers at the sight of snow. Or heavy rain for that matter, which is a slight issue in Oregon.

• Locked thread