Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Jesus this game looks so bad.

And also...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...r%2C+Shotgun%29

quote:

Both Gary Carr’s Liam (a companion) and Zoe Telford’s Addison (grumpy Space Captain Lady) sound as though they’re distractedly reading from a page where the text is too small in a poorly lit room, which is a real problem when both are in such prominent roles. Telford’s E-NUNC-I-AT-ING makes it sound like she’s reading phonetic words in a language she’s never heard. Thankfully Fryda Wolff is perfectly good as your character, Ryder (no one plays Mass Effect as a guy, right?), so at least you don’t wince at the sound of your own voice. In a saving throw, the brilliant Kumail Nanjiani is cast as a Salarian, Director Tann, but he’s so far not been given anything worth saying. Most of the rest are stilted or dreary.

This is endemic. It’s so very, very bizarre to be playing a BioWare game where the characters are so empty and dull. Of course the two companions you start with in all three previous Mass Effect games are the worst, and that’s no exception here. But it doesn’t get much better. You are bombarded with conversation by nearly your entire crew early on, and they’re so freaking stereotypical. The exposition hangs off the dialogue like eighty ton weights, drowning any hope of emotional connection. Characters painfully tell you what their personalities are, rather than, say, having one. (“I tend to live the way I work: kinda “feel it, do it.” Not a lot of close ties, no real sense of purpose.” – Actual dialogue someone wrote on purpose.)

Holy poo poo this game has been officially just nuked from orbit.

Once again, RIP Bioware. Did all their writers from the 2000 era move over to Guerilla games? Because there is ZERO talent at Bioware any longer, and this thing is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

black.lion posted:

Yall i have the ea access thing so presumably i can play at midnight, right? Has anyone preloaded on PC yet?

Word on the street is that 5:30pm EDT today is when Origin Access people can download/play the trial.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Utnayan posted:

And also...

Once again, RIP Bioware. Did all their writers from the 2000 era move over to Guerilla games? Because there is ZERO talent at Bioware any longer, and this thing is a steaming pile of poo poo.

You should probably quit caring about it then? But you're going to buy it and still post in here because you're a goon.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Cross-Section posted:

Word on the street is that 5:30pm EDT today is when Origin Access people can download/play the trial.

VIBRATION INTENSIFIES

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Utnayan posted:

And also...

It's John Walker lol.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

It's $5 to get access to the trial, right?

Also, is GMG the cheapest place to get the game right now? I'm guessing that 20% discount will vanish after the game launches.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Utnayan posted:

And also...

I love these doomsayer posts

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

frajaq posted:

Yea. Apparently a bunch of generally positive impressions are worthless, but one negative one means the game is going to implode.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

gmq posted:

It's $5 to get access to the trial, right?

Also, is GMG the cheapest place to get the game right now? I'm guessing that 20% discount will vanish after the game launches.

If you have Amazon Prime Amazon is selling a empty box with a Origin code in it for 20% off up to two weeks after release.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Utnayan posted:

And also...

from the same writer:

https://twitter.com/botherer/status/181533940224507905

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Yea. Apparently a bunch of generally positive impressions are worthless, but one negative one means the game is going to implode.

These are dumb arguments from all of you. People can read what Mr. Walker wrote and you can compare that to DAI and to MEA pre-release footage to see how much of what he says is likely and true. It's not like he made up the things he didn't like. It's up to everyone to decide how important what part of the game is going to be.

Just because fanboys write "generally positive" impressions isn't going to make the game great for someone whose preferences are more aligned with the impressions basically saying "it's okay I guess", or even with Walker's. And vice versa, obviously.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
While most things are poo poo RPS loves their hit pieces so I'm not writing off the game yet. Will probably do Origin access so if it's bad at least I have a month of lovely EA trash to keep me busy

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I wonder if the MP will be healthier on PS4 vs PC

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/botherer/status/679412223412969472

🤔

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

the first sentence is correct, but that's beside the point

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
also here is the voice acting he lauds as being better than everyone else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo14cfpfp2E

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

frajaq posted:

It is universally being panned across streams and press everywhere.

I loved the ME series (Even 3) But this is one gigantic poo poo show.

The writers are rookie. They all left to work elsewhere and it clearly shows. The animations are completely 100% wooden. Need a little humor/evidence?

Let's just look at this gem on this guy's twitch comparing the actress who plays our female protagonist, and the abortion the "New" Bioware came out with right at the top.

https://twitter.com/terak404?lang=en

When most of us just got done playing Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda, seeing this game actually launch in the condition it is in is just downright laughable. I hope everyone plays the EA Access 10 hour trial. You won't make it past the 3rd hour, and you will save yourselves 60 bucks.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 15, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

utanyan's whole schtick is popping into threads about stuff he has no personal investment in and throwing around negative press to rile up the natives so pay him no mind

it is different from my schtick which is popping into threads about stuff which i have morbid curiosity in and throwing around negative press to rile up the natives

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 15, 2017

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Cowcaster posted:

utanyan's whole schtick is popping into threads about stuff he has no personal investment in and throwing around negative press to rile up the natives so pay him no mind

it is different from my schtick which is popping into threads about stuff which i have morbid curiosity in and throwing around negative press to rile up the natives

I'm sure everyone appreciates your dedication.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The videos seem to reinforce said reviews though, ones shown so far make the characters look and sound stiff and dull. That flirting one reminded me of fallout 4 of all things. ME's main draw was the strong and enjoyable cast and I'm not seeing that here so far.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'm not sure I put too much stock in the opinion of a Twitter user with an anime avatar and "Your autism level has increased" in their banner image.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Serf posted:

I'm not sure I put too much stock in the opinion of a Twitter user with an anime avatar and "Your autism level has increased" in their banner image.

Sounds like a bona fide goon to me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Serf posted:

don't doxx me

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cowcaster posted:

Oh thank god you posted this, I didn't check the username and was about to faintly agree with him.

That said, John Walker is a contrarian rear end in a top hat who gets in fights in the comment section so yeah take everything he writes with a grain of salt.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Serf posted:

anime avatars are quality seals, friend.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

Well, in all honesty, I am just giving your resident 3rd party marketing shills here, excusing Bioware/EA for their massive failing with this game, some hourly wages.

Two games that are absolutely awesome? Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda Breath of the Wild (Playing on Wii U). You know what is also hilarious? Watching this epic disaster in the making launching next to these two gems showing just how inept Bioware has become once and for all.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

1stGear posted:

Oh thank god you posted this, I didn't check the username and was about to faintly agree with him.

That said, John Walker is a contrarian rear end in a top hat who gets in fights in the comment section so yeah take everything he writes with a grain of salt.

what if there's no salt in the andromeda galaxy?? what then.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

the first sentence is correct, but that's beside the point

So the ending was A okay and everyone should have just shut the gently caress up?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

But can

I play

A VORCHA IN MULTIPLAYER

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Utnayan posted:

Well, in all honesty, I am just giving your resident 3rd party marketing shills here, excusing Bioware/EA for their massive failing with this game, some hourly wages.

Two games that are absolutely awesome? Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda Breath of the Wild (Playing on Wii U). You know what is also hilarious? Watching this epic disaster in the making launching next to these two gems showing just how inept Bioware has become once and for all.

yes, noted bioware shill in the mass effect andromeda thread, cowcaster

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I think the real question is, is there a slider so i can make Ryder obese?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Avalerion posted:

The videos seem to reinforce said reviews though, ones shown so far make the characters look and sound stiff and dull. That flirting one reminded me of fallout 4 of all things. ME's main draw was the strong and enjoyable cast and I'm not seeing that here so far.

It doesn't exist. Don't let any of the infiltrated 3rd party marketers here tell you any different. EA has a high pay roll in SA.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Avalerion posted:

ME's main draw was the strong and enjoyable cast and I'm not seeing that here so far.

All the previews are from early stuff in the game with most of the squad not available yet, in OT we've had 3 whole games to get to know the cast.

Don't tell me when you started ME 1 you found that Kaidan and Ashley were a strong and enjoyable cast :v:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like how about every 20 pages someone posts a link to that one poorly written article and uses it to say the game is bad. And ignores the positive ones.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Norns posted:

So the ending was A okay and everyone should have just shut the gently caress up?

no everyone was a loons

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Can adjust dick bulge size?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Utnayan posted:

It doesn't exist. Don't let any of the infiltrated 3rd party marketers here tell you any different. EA has a high pay roll in SA.

See now this is a good gimmick.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

yes, noted bioware shill in the mass effect andromeda thread, cowcaster

Not you. I know for a fact you aren't.

But... just watch as they reveal themselves to the denial and scapegoats.

Next up on the 3rd party marketing Agenda. Ready? I saw the playbook.

"Bioware has been known for their story, but this time we really wanted to try and nail the combat portion with Frostbite".

And then watch the shills roll in on game plan 97 for the two week launch window of ME:A claiming "I never play these games for the story. The combat and skills and such were always my main focus. I just love blasting people in space and that's all I need!"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Norns posted:

Can adjust dick bulge size?

only if you romance jaal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I wish bioware was paying me to say that it looks like its gonna be a pile but hopefully its actually just OK.