Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

All the mother seems to be teaching is:

I was thinking: http://www.theonion.com/article/johnson-johnson-introduces-nothing-but-tears-shamp-2506

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I wonder about that poo poo with people who are all We're Super Separate Finances.

Won't you go crazy and murder your spouse with a barbecue fork if one of you retires and the other has to keep working?

My uncle did that, lol. He was a bus driver, and figured he could retire with a reasonable pension at 60, while he's still young enough to enjoy life. Wife wanted to work until 65 like normal people, and have a more secure retirement (if he worked another 5 years his monthly pension would be higher when he retired). His dad, aunts and uncles all lived to their late 90s, and were independent, spry and healthy right through their 70s and into their 80s, so in our family it makes sense to plan for a loooong retirement. I saw him at my grandpa's funeral shortly before he retired, and at 59 he could easily have passed for 45. Good genes and hair dye.

Anyway, he decided he was going to retire early and that was that, she can keep working if she wants to. But just sitting around isn't fun, he wants to take trips and live life. How about a vacation to Thailand? Aunt shoots it down, doesn't want to go. So he goes without her. Has a great time.

Gets home and all his personal stuff is in storage. She's filed for divorce while he was gone, and changed the locks. None of his children are speaking to him. He whines on facebook about how 'he worked all his life for his family and they just throw him away when he's not useful to them anymore'. LOL.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Devian666 posted:

What research shows is that if you buy books like this to help your child your child is more likely to benefit. That is any book about helping your kids not just ones about money.

I was interested in money and how banks work from about 8 years old. Although that was probably an influence by my grandfather and my own inclination towards anything involving mathematics. I think where that there's a mistake in the sum involved being $100 and the child netting $15. I suspect the lesson will end up focusing the child on how to yield a higher percentage of the $100, although that could positive or negative consequences.

My dad worked in banking, and at a really young age tried to encourage me to open a savings account with the little money I had. In retrospect, I was at way too young an age for it. He brought me into work with him, which looking back was pretty cool because he worked in this huge bank in the old part of downtown.
He introduced me to all his coworkers, including one of the senior directors of the bank. They were all telling me the whole spiel, about how the prudent and frugal way was to save and earn money from interest and dividends. I got overwhelmed, worried that they'd take my money away and had a huge meltdown tantrum in front of a bunch of customers, and ended up causing a huge scene.
He never took me back there, and stopped working there soon after. As I'm older, I'm pretty sure that he was actually fired, and my behavior in front of the director and customers had something to do with it.

All I wanted to do with my money was feed the birds.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
God Dammit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powerlurker posted:

Wife says it's shellfish.

Tell her to be less clammy :downsrim:

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

My uncle did that, lol. He was a bus driver, and figured he could retire with a reasonable pension at 60, while he's still young enough to enjoy life. Wife wanted to work until 65 like normal people, and have a more secure retirement (if he worked another 5 years his monthly pension would be higher when he retired). His dad, aunts and uncles all lived to their late 90s, and were independent, spry and healthy right through their 70s and into their 80s, so in our family it makes sense to plan for a loooong retirement. I saw him at my grandpa's funeral shortly before he retired, and at 59 he could easily have passed for 45. Good genes and hair dye.

Anyway, he decided he was going to retire early and that was that, she can keep working if she wants to. But just sitting around isn't fun, he wants to take trips and live life. How about a vacation to Thailand? Aunt shoots it down, doesn't want to go. So he goes without her. Has a great time.

Gets home and all his personal stuff is in storage. She's filed for divorce while he was gone, and changed the locks. None of his children are speaking to him. He whines on facebook about how 'he worked all his life for his family and they just throw him away when he's not useful to them anymore'. LOL.

Jesus Christ that's depressing

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of sympathize with bus driver guy. Not being able to do things because my partner doesn't seems lovely.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah I'm not feeling the LOL on that one :(

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
There's got to be a Paul Harvey rest of the story moment in that one.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Coworker shared on facebook a friend trying to sell their boat in Indiana. 55 hours on the engine, $29k asking price but "willing to negotiate." I can't find the MSRP on this but they are certainly taking >$10k hit on it.

I think our houseboat buying friend here in BFC has finally seen his ship come in!

Punkbob posted:

I kind of sympathize with bus driver guy. Not being able to do things because my partner doesn't seems lovely.

That story is more of a BWR (bad with relationships) than BWM. No poo poo if you retire early and your wife keeps working it's going to breed resentment. Especially when you want to go on some exotic trip and she stays at home working. It's one thing if she genuinely enjoys working and was okay with it, but from the evidence presented it seems like that's a no. The #1 to kill any relationship is to get one partner to resent the other.

The real issue here is how the hell the guy thought this wouldn't cause issues.

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 15, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
:psyduck:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5zjcp2/need_a_financial_plan_for_boyfriend_and_i/

quote:

Need A Financial Plan for Boyfriend and I. Boyfriend's financial habits are hurting us.

Hi PF,

I need some advice for my and bf. He is also a reddit user, but he knows me main account and I want to be able to honestly assess.

Here's out main problems:

1) Our credit score is low (both of us are around 500)

He leases his truck and wants to be able to get a new one when it expires, so he wants to improve his credit score. I've told him to just get a loan from our local credit union (we can get a 15k loan for only 7% or so) because it makes more sense in the long run.

He wants to build his credit up, so he's gotten a new credit card and started keeping a balance on it each month to build credit. I think that this is spending money we don't have right now to save money in the future. He says we can't afford to get a new truck if we buy outright.

I also have a selfish reason for wanting him to get the loan, he races his truck and goes mudding on the weekends and his lease has a mile-limit on it. This means that I have to drive him to and from work or his friend's house sometimes to save miles.

2) He just got a new job with the county and they have a pension plan that automatically takes 5% of his paycheck and a union that takes $25 per month. He only makes about 26k and I make between 22-35k depending on tips.

He's trying to find a new job to get rid of his 5% deduction and $25 dues. It seems insane that they can force him to pay both of these just to earn a paycheck. He's got an offer for a job that pays about the same, but will let him take more of it home.

Even after that happens, he still won't be able to afford his new truck and he wants to lease. I want to see if there is any way to finance a new truck (45k or so) on our income as an investment for him. He takes very good care of his trucks and works on them, so they would probably go up in value over time and he would actually have something of his own instead of making payments and having to give the car back.

3) We just bought a house. That means we're saving money on rent, but the monthly utility bills are a little higher than we were used to and the 5% deduction and dues he has to pay combined with winter being a slow season at my work are hurting us.

We put 3% down on the house for a FHA loan. The payments are the same as when we rented, but this time we are paying ourselves and if we get desperate we can sell.

Now we have a big problem that the seller never told us about. Our concrete walkway has a rise in it of about 2 inches and the city is making us fix it. The seller says that we agreed to do it when we bought it, but he never actually mentioned it and I am pretty sure that since we have an FHA loan, we can make the government get him to do it instead.

4) We're getting married sometime this year and have talked about rings. He doesn't want to budget for one until he gets a new job that doesn't take all his money and hopefully a new raise.

He wants to get some cheap-o ring for 5k from CostCo and it really hurts my feeling that he can save for a truck payment and work hard to find a new job, but will settle for my ring.

I've found ring financing options that have super low monthly payments and last for several years, so we will have time to get in a better financial position to pay it off. This seems like the smart way to do it rather than cheap out or pay a ton upfront.

I'm trying to explain to him that the same reason he wants to finance a truck is the same reason that I want to get a good quality ring. It should be the only one you ever need and you don't want to cheap out.

5) My dad died last year and I inherited his retirement plan from work. We used it to put the 3% down on our house and now we have gotten word the guy running it that we owe over $8,000 in taxes. This is insane. We googled it and you do not have to pay any taxes on what you inherit from family for $13 million dollars. This was WAY WAY less than $13 million!
We called the IRS, but it just goes to an automated help line.

I tried to put my paycheck information into turbotax and it says I should get a big refund. So, I'm not sure if they made some kind of mistake. That's not really part of our financial issues, but I need help showing him the math that leasing a truck is a bad idea, if there is anyway to get his job to give his money back since he is leaving there soon, and how much we will save a month if we finance a ring instead of paying for it upfront. I know that spending a lot on the ring is not moving us toward our financial goals, but it's a personal thing for me and that's what money is for. The main thing is that we need to find out how to manage it. How to build his credit fastest and what order we should do it all in.

Thanks

Her one other post:

quote:

Cheap ways to get guns?

My boyfriend (future fiance) likes to get a new gun every couple of months. It's part of who he is and his family tradition and is going to be a part of my life.

He gets them usually from his friend or online, but some of them are over $1,000 and we can't really afford it.

Are there any hunting or firearm enthusiests who know the best prices for firearms? We have a dealer who can pick them up in our neighborhood so getting them shipped isn't an issue if it makes the price better.

Thanks

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

quote:

He wants to get some cheap-o ring for 5k from CostCo and it really hurts my feeling that he can save for a truck payment and work hard to find a new job, but will settle for my ring.

Sever.

(to him, not her)

edit: got around to reading the rest of it holy hell. This has to be a troll, it hits like every single BWM staple. "we bought a house so we're saving money on rent" "we put 3% down" etc.

edit 2:

quote:

I'm trying to explain to him that the same reason he wants to finance a truck is the same reason that I want to get a good quality ring. It should be the only one you ever need and you don't want to cheap out.

I'm triggered so hard here by these two sentences I can't even begin

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 15, 2017

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

goddamn thats like the perfect storm of BWM, just needs a horse somehow.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ride the horse to work so you can save lease miles on your gun-filled muddin' truck that you absolutely need to have to maintain your masculinity in the south

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Hooooly poo poo. :stare: Let's do this one line by line.

quote:

He leases his truck and wants to be able to get a new one when it expires, so he wants to improve his credit score. I've told him to just get a loan from our local credit union (we can get a 15k loan for only 7% or so) because it makes more sense in the long run.

The lease makes me cringe but hey, she realizes that having a car payment forever is horrible. Unfortunately her solution is to get a 7% loan :gonk:

Guy: -1
Girl: 0

quote:

He wants to build his credit up, so he's gotten a new credit card and started keeping a balance on it each month to build credit. I think that this is spending money we don't have right now to save money in the future. He says we can't afford to get a new truck if we buy outright.

Increasing your credit score by running a balance :smith:. Again, she is the voice of reason...sort of, because this isn't saving money at all!

Guy: -2

quote:

I also have a selfish reason for wanting him to get the loan, he races his truck and goes mudding on the weekends and his lease has a mile-limit on it. This means that I have to drive him to and from work or his friend's house sometimes to save miles.

So not only is this guy bad with money he's also bad with life.

Guy: -3

quote:

He just got a new job with the county and they have a pension plan that automatically takes 5% of his paycheck and a union that takes $25 per month. He only makes about 26k and I make between 22-35k depending on tips.

He's trying to find a new job to get rid of his 5% deduction and $25 dues. It seems insane that they can force him to pay both of these just to earn a paycheck. He's got an offer for a job that pays about the same, but will let him take more of it home.

That is not insane and the union is the reason the job pays as well as it does. Plus, I'm guessing that pension is pretty nice if it's taking 5%.

Girl: -1

quote:

Even after that happens, he still won't be able to afford his new truck and he wants to lease. I want to see if there is any way to finance a new truck (45k or so) on our income as an investment for him. He takes very good care of his trucks and works on them, so they would probably go up in value over time and he would actually have something of his own instead of making payments and having to give the car back.

TRUCK EQUITY

Girl: -2 (but I really wanted to take away 2 for truck equity. Jesus Christ)

quote:

We just bought a house. That means we're saving money on rent, but the monthly utility bills are a little higher than we were used to and the 5% deduction and dues he has to pay combined with winter being a slow season at my work are hurting us.

We put 3% down on the house for a FHA loan. The payments are the same as when we rented, but this time we are paying ourselves and if we get desperate we can sell.

Buying a house is not paying yourself! And those 3% down FHA loans carry life-of-loan PMI. The idea being you refi as soon as you hit 80% LTV but uh, :lol: at the idea of a refi out of FHA with a 500 credit score. You'll end up paying more on interest and closing costs than you'll save on getting rid of the PMI.

Girl: -3

quote:

Now we have a big problem that the seller never told us about. Our concrete walkway has a rise in it of about 2 inches and the city is making us fix it. The seller says that we agreed to do it when we bought it, but he never actually mentioned it and I am pretty sure that since we have an FHA loan, we can make the government get him to do it instead.

:ughh:

No, the government is not going to fix your walkway for you. Seller might be a scumbag if he knew about the repair and didn't disclose it though, but I'm loathe to give the OP the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Girl: -4

quote:

4) We're getting married sometime this year and have talked about rings. He doesn't want to budget for one until he gets a new job that doesn't take all his money and hopefully a new raise.

While not splurging on a ring can be good with money, I get the sense the guy isn't buying a cheaper ring solely to save money but because he's immature and doesn't see a ring as valuable/important. He gains one GWM point but loses a GWL point.

quote:

I've found ring financing options that have super low monthly payments and last for several years, so we will have time to get in a better financial position to pay it off. This seems like the smart way to do it rather than cheap out or pay a ton upfront.

A jewelry loan isn't wonderful but honestly it could be worse and if she really wants a nice ring I don't see too many faults on it. Focusing on monthly payment and not total cost is bad though. I'll grade it a neutral.

quote:

Oh boy. Although since she's a big believer in TRUCK EQUITY it's not surprising she thinks that if you buy a nice truck it'll last the rest of your life.

Girl: -5

quote:

My dad died last year and I inherited his retirement plan from work. We used it to put the 3% down on our house and now we have gotten word the guy running it that we owe over $8,000 in taxes. This is insane. We googled it and you do not have to pay any taxes on what you inherit from family for $13 million dollars. This was WAY WAY less than $13 million!

:psyduck: I have no idea what happened here given the info but I'm guessing they did something foolish or the guy running it is screwing them over.

quote:

I tried to put my paycheck information into turbotax and it says I should get a big refund. So, I'm not sure if they made some kind of mistake. That's not really part of our financial issues, but I need help showing him the math that leasing a truck is a bad idea, if there is anyway to get his job to give his money back since he is leaving there soon, and how much we will save a month if we finance a ring instead of paying for it upfront. I know that spending a lot on the ring is not moving us toward our financial goals, but it's a personal thing for me and that's what money is for. The main thing is that we need to find out how to manage it. How to build his credit fastest and what order we should do it all in.

Showing why the truck lease is a horrible idea with math is admirable

So at the end of the day, the OP by my scoring is actually worse with money than the person she's written about. Of course, the boyfriend seems like a real selfish shithead so I feel bad for her. But drat, they both need a lot of financial education.

edit: :laffo: the op already deleted her post. drat, that's gotta be some kinda r/personalfinance record.

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 15, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just do a burn-out in your cool truck on the sidewalk until you've ground down those extra 2 inches, problem solved

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

I know that spending a lot on the ring is not moving us toward our financial goals, but it's a personal thing for me and that's what money is for.

That's what money is for. Me. ME. ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The OP of that post has already deleted it but some of the reddit comments are great. I'm glad I'm not the only person who felt the need to go line by line saying how dumb the whole plan is. I even was nicer on the ring thing than most people!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

axeil posted:

Hooooly poo poo. :stare: Let's do this one line by line.

The lease makes me cringe but hey, she realizes that having a car payment forever is horrible. Unfortunately her solution is to get a 7% loan :gonk:

Guy: -1

Increasing your credit score by running a balance :smith:. Again, she is the voice of reason...sort of, because this isn't saving money at all!

So not only is this guy bad with money he's also bad with life.

That is not insane and the union is the reason the job pays as well as it does. Plus, I'm guessing that pension is pretty nice if it's taking 5%.

Girl: -1

TRUCK EQUITY

Girl: -2 (but I really wanted to take away 2 for truck equity. Jesus Christ)

Buying a house is not paying yourself! And those 3% down FHA loans carry life-of-loan PMI. The idea being you refi as soon as you hit 80% LTV but uh, :lol: at the idea of a refi out of FHA with a 500 credit score. You'll end up paying more on interest and closing costs than you'll save on getting rid of the PMI.

Girl: -3

:ughh:

No, the government is not going to fix your walkway for you. Seller might be a scumbag if he knew about the repair and didn't disclose it though, but I'm loathe to give the OP the benefit of the doubt at this point.

While not splurging on a ring can be good with money, I get the sense the guy isn't buying a cheaper ring solely to save money but because he's immature and doesn't see a ring as valuable/important. He gains one GWM point but loses a GWL point.

A jewelry loan isn't wonderful but honestly it could be worse and if she really wants a nice ring I don't see too many faults on it. Focusing on monthly payment and not total cost is bad though. I'll grade it a neutral.

Oh boy. Although since she's a big believer in TRUCK EQUITY it's not surprising she thinks that if you buy a nice truck it'll last the rest of your life.

:psyduck: I have no idea what happened here given the info but I'm guessing they did something foolish or the guy running it is screwing them over.

Showing why the truck lease is a horrible idea with math is admirable

So at the end of the day, the OP by my scoring is actually worse with money than the person she's written about. Of course, the boyfriend seems like a real selfish shithead so I feel bad for her. But drat, they both need a lot of financial education.

edit: :laffo: the op already deleted her post. drat, that's gotta be some kinda r/personalfinance record.

Poor as gently caress and are buying trucks, houses, rings, guns and probably horses all at the same time and somehow doing it on a credit score of 500. Classic consumption crunch.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Poor as gently caress and are buying trucks, houses, rings, guns and probably horses all at the same time and somehow doing it on a credit score of 500. Classic consumption crunch.

I love that TRUCK EQUITY has finally made a come back. If it weren't for the post getting deleted I'd have thought one of us wrote it to give us something to talk about.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I will bet actual money that the sidewalk was disclosed in writing. They feel it wasn't explained to them because someone didn't sit down, hold her hand, and say, "you will have to spend your own money to fix the sidewalk."

Rofl @the pension and union fee taking all his money, Jesus. I wonder where she thinks that money goes?

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

axeil posted:

From her post it sounds like she inherited an IRA/401k and withdrew the money to put down on the house. Guess she didn't realize you have to pay taxes on those distributions.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
A gun every couple of months? Their house is going to look like a US army warehouse in 10 years time, plus decent guns worth collecting are by no means cheap.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BarbarianElephant posted:

A gun every couple of months? Their house is going to look like a US army warehouse in 10 years time, plus decent guns worth collecting are by no means cheap.

No, it will look like America.

Ever heard of a little thing called "Freedom"?

:911:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
When most people talk about Truck Equity they talk about the value of the asset. When this chick talks about Truck Equity she talks about the truck appreciating in value like a house lmao.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Probably all a bunch of Tauruses and other lovely guns.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

axeil posted:

quote:
My dad died last year and I inherited his retirement plan from work. We used it to put the 3% down on our house and now we have gotten word the guy running it that we owe over $8,000 in taxes. This is insane. We googled it and you do not have to pay any taxes on what you inherit from family for $13 million dollars. This was WAY WAY less than $13 million!

I think they took a distribution from an inherited ira or 401K and haven't paid federal or state income taxes on it. When she puts her info into turbotax she probably doesn't realize that's taxable income.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

axeil posted:

I get the sense the guy isn't buying a cheaper ring solely to save money but because he's immature and doesn't see a ring as valuable/important

It's not, though :confused: And even if you think it is, 5k isn't "cheaper." Especially on a 26k salary. That's definitely over the dumb "two months' salary" diamond industry motto by any metric.

I mean, we're talking about enough money to take a baller honeymoon to Europe there.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 15, 2017

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

I mean, we're talking about enough money to take a baller honeymoon to Europe there.

Why would he go to Europe, he can't even carry his gun there

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
25 bucks a month union dues is so laughably small i can't even

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

25 bucks a month union dues is so laughably small i can't even

But MAH MONEY

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Thank you for that clearly fraudulent personal finance death trap bait.

I mean, it's like they went through BWM Bingo (R) and pulled out everything they could except boats and horses.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dream killing SOs are on a roll today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5zjrnl/wife_wants_to_have_no_insurance_with_three_kids/

quote:

Wife wants to have no insurance with Three kids.

I looked around for a bit I couldn't find a answer to my specifics situation. Hopefully this is the place I can ask.

I pay 1k and some change a month for health, dental and eye insurance for my family of 5. With 3 being young kids.

My wife seems to think we can not pay insurance keep that money. Save some of it and if someone gets sick just make payments to the hospital. That in the long run we will be a lot better off.

I don't know enough of the fine details to know how to respond to her to convince her this is a bad idea. She thinks the medical bill payments would be lower than the premiums we pay.

What would meds cost? Could we be turned away for some treatments? Would we be more likely to see wage garnishments without insurance if we didn't pay for the bills? She also thinks just not paying some of the bills is an option also.

Edit: I know medical bills can get expensive. I told her as much. Her argument everytime is well if we make payments to the hospital it will be a lower cost. What if the difference of paying the hospitals for life or paying more for insurance for life. I need an argument for that.

Edit:2 I guess to make this clear my wife is ok with more debt even colossal amounts of debt. If payments on that debt is still cheaper the insurance both would be paid for life so what should the argument for that be?

Edit3: Neither of us are very well informed on finances and or insurance. She loves her kids. I am not here for personal attacks or feelings and need financial advice and knowledge so I can present them to her. Me telling her she is dumb or that I feel strongly about this doesn't help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5zjog4/fianc%C3%A9_has_180k_of_student_loans_should_i_leave_a/

quote:

Fiancé has $180k of student loans. Should I leave a job I love for a 25% pay raise?

'm 25 years old, currently have no debt, except for a credit card that I pay off monthly for points. However, I recently got engaged to a great guy, who is about to graduate PT school at a top program, with around $180,000 worth of student debt. Additionally, the lease on his car is set to expire in the next few months, so we'll be in the market for a replacement. The offer he recently took is paying $65k/year, which is about average for our area. We're also moving in together and planning a wedding, so there are a lot of expensive transitions coming up in our life.

Right now, I'm at a job at a tech company that I absolutely love. It's the stereotypical ping pong tables, N-64, free breakfast and lunch, unlimited time off, and fantastic co-workers. I've only been here for 4 months, after leaving a job I hated, but I love the company. The only downside is that we're finally turning a profit after 9 years, so growth has really stagnated and I'm not sure that advancement is something that is going to happen for at least another year or two. This job currently pays me $35k with quarterly bonus potential putting me right at $42.5k total. There is no 401k match, but I do have some stock options that would mature before we go public that could be a nice bump.

I was recently contacted by a recruiter for a position that is offering me $40k base with quarterly bonus potential that would put me at $56k total. Additionally, they're building this inside sales team from the ground up and want to promote whoever is in this position after 6-12months, which would come with a pay bump that would put me at $60-80k total. I think the opportunity for advancement is real, but I realize that it's all tentative and not a sure thing. However, there frankly is no culture there. I went through a brief phase of depression when I worked at a company that I hated, and I'm terrified of repeating that spell.

I should also mention that due to a layoff, and ending up at a company I hated, I had 3 jobs this past year. If I take the job, I have to stay there for a while.
Considering the debt I'm marrying into, am I stupid to turn down this offer?

Edit: To give a little more context, both jobs are sales jobs. I understand that potential earnings aren't straight salary, but at this point, I'm pretty used to it. Additionally, I also make an extra $9kish a year from reserve military service... so we can also throw that at his loans. Finally, yes, his schooling was expensive. But he had already made the decision to go there when we had met. Plus, we live in a city with a decently low cost of living, but is a huge healthcare epicenter. With the upcoming shortage in PTs and their increased play in total healthcare, we're confident that with increased experience, he might see a decent pay bump as well.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I guess it depends on what that $1000/month is buying. If they've got high deductibles as well then I honestly can't say banking the money is a worse idea. That's assuming everyone is healthy with no chronic medical problems.

At the very least it's a gamble. Run around without insurance for a couple of years and you have a $20k+ egg. It's already a terrible situation so now it's just how lucky you feel.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I guess it depends on what that $1000/month is buying. If they've got high deductibles as well then I honestly can't say banking the money is a worse idea. That's assuming everyone is healthy with no chronic medical problems.

At the very least it's a gamble. Run around without insurance for a couple of years and you have a $20k+ egg. It's already a terrible situation so now it's just how lucky you feel.

If you can find a way to stuff the money you save into something that is shielded from seizure when you declare a bankruptcy, this might outright be a better plan. With the removal of the individual mandate coupled with the inability to deny care for pre-existing conditions that Republicans are pitching right now, this is going to become a dominant strategy for a large part of the population. Just don't have insurance unless you have a serious health condition.

It's bad for society, but better individually. This is why the mandate existed.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
When someone says they're going to drop their insurance and will instead just save the money, it's safe to assume that they'll only do half of it.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

There are two parts to insurance - one is the normal one that everyone thinks of, which pays for stuff you need if they agree that you need it. The second part is the protection money part, which turns a $90,000 hospital bill into $6,500.

America is so hosed up that it would be insane to get rid of the insurance, mainly because of the second part.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Droo posted:

There are two parts to insurance - one is the normal one that everyone thinks of, which pays for stuff you need if they agree that you need it. The second part is the protection money part, which turns a $90,000 hospital bill into $6,500.

America is so hosed up that it would be insane to get rid of the insurance, mainly because of the second part.

Unless you run with very few assets that aren't protected in a bankruptcy and just plan to declare bankruptcy in case of the $80k hospital bill. You get to keep your house, 2 cars, retirement accounts, and horses in my state.

Given that 95% of my net wealth is in house and retirement accounts, that's almost a bet that I'd make.

Edit: Bankruptcy exemptions in Texas include

quote:

2 horses, mules or donkeys and a saddle, blanket and bridle for each; 12 head of cattle; 60 head of other types of livestock; 120 fowl; and pets to $30,000 total ($60,000 for head of family)

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 15, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

When someone says they're going to drop their insurance and will instead just save the money, it's safe to assume that they'll only do half of it.

Kind of like how a lot of people who just stopped paying their mortgages during the Great Recession somehow didn't save any of that money.

If you legit saved even 80% of that $1000/month you could quickly build up enough of a nest egg to buy cheaper insurance with higher deductibles and not worry about getting cleaned out with a big medical expense.

Droo posted:

You won't get preferred insurance pricing, but you won't pay $90k either if you negotiate a cash deal. Especially if it's not an emergency and you can shop around for the best price. If it's an emergency then all bets are off and you're better off with insurance.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Unless you run with very few assets that aren't protected in a bankruptcy and just plan to declare bankruptcy in case of the $80k hospital bill. You get to keep your house, 2 cars, retirement accounts, and horses in my state.

Given that 95% of my net wealth is in house and retirement accounts, that's almost a bet that I'd make.

And in the mean time, lots of doctors won't see you because you don't have insurance so when you have a problem you end up having to go to a hospital which makes medical bankruptcy even more likely. And after you declare bankruptcy you potentially miss out on job opportunities because employers can run credit checks to determine if you are a good idea to hire, not to mention the problems you will encounter if you want to move any time in the next decade.

Krispy Kareem posted:

If you legit saved even 80% of that $1000/month you could quickly build up enough of a nest egg to buy cheaper insurance with higher deductibles and not worry about getting cleaned out with a big medical expense.

I hate to break this to you, but $1000 per month for a family of 5 is not expensive.

• Locked thread