Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Saint Freak posted:

Your figure's legs appear to be on the wrong way.
Now for the finale!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Does Street Fighter 5 need a combo damage reduction? Here's a persuasive argument and explanation of how it could improve the game

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Countblanc posted:

If you have someone cornered and they keep jumping out over you it might mean you're trying to get too close to them. Unless you're trying for specific set ups try bullying them a bit further away with longer range pokes. This makes jumping over you more difficult since they're more likely to just land on top of you and you can more easily antiair them. Of course this is harder in sfv than other games since "longer range pokes" are a luxury, but my point is to consider where you're standing in relation to your opponent more closely.

Yeah. It's really easy to think of the corner as the place where you get to make them guess over and over, but it's actually the place where you have all the spacing control, and they have nowhere to get out back but through you.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

General Morden posted:

Does Street Fighter 5 need a combo damage reduction? Here's a persuasive argument and explanation of how it could improve the game

Only if we go back to ST damage on normals

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Correctly guessing an opponent's next move is one of the hallmarks of Street Fighter. Option selects, which allow multiple options to be covered with overlapping commands, directly conflict with this idea,

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofiend/blog/2017/03/15/street-fighter-v-season-2-balance-update

Mostly reverting dumb S2 changes, but pretty good stuff I guess? No one seems to have been gutted to shitness this time

e: except maybe Guile

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Alex... buffs???????!!!!

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Count Bleck posted:

Alex... buffs???????!!!!

and nerfs listed as bug fixes

I like how they say in the developer comments "we are quite happy with this character's progression in s2, but...." if there are any nerfs in these notes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lol they're all little babby tweaks

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Can someone explain to me how increasing charge time makes charge characters easier to play?? I'm not sure if i'm reading that wrong or not.

Other than that I like the jump/throw tech OS being gone and it seems like maybe they're starting to get that oki is fun to play with the DP changes, though idk why they're bothering to be so micromanage-y with them. DPs are already unsafe if you make the call wrong, making it a three way decision doesn't seem much more interesting than a 50/50 one.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm not sure how jump throw tech os is gone when you can just do 1, brief 7 back to 1+throw and that'll still give you a jump if it's possible and tech a throw if you're in the middle of being thrown

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Can someone explain to me how increasing charge time makes charge characters easier to play?? I'm not sure if i'm reading that wrong or not.

its so you don't get the moves on accident

quote:

making it a three way decision doesn't seem much more interesting than a 50/50 one.

three is more than 2 and if nuance make things interesting then its more interesting, really. I could see this being said for the difference between 19 and 20 options or something with a lot more than 2 vs 3, but i dont get where you're coming from here

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I'm overall pretty happy with the changes (mostly because they're undoing a lot of the s2 changes that I hated) but there's also some dumb stuff. I don't think Guile and Urien should be nerfed, they're powerful and interesting characters and the rest of the cast should be brought to that level. Also I hate that they made ken's b+mk overhead -4 to be in line with the rest of the cast, rather than making the rest of the cast's command overheads NOT punishable on block, you know like every other street fighter game in existence.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm overall pretty happy with the changes (mostly because they're undoing a lot of the s2 changes that I hated) but there's also some dumb stuff. I don't think Guile and Urien should be nerfed, they're powerful and interesting characters and the rest of the cast should be brought to that level. Also I hate that they made ken's b+mk overhead -4 to be in line with the rest of the cast, rather than making the rest of the cast's command overheads NOT punishable on block, you know like every other street fighter game in existence.

I liked the Urien changes well enough. He's still going to be a very strong character, they've just gotten rid of a few of his more brainless options.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I just noticed that the heavy DP doesn't even get iframes until frame 3 so there's not really a change there for dealing with meaty pressure, worrying over nothing lol

Jmcrofts posted:

making mixup tools worth using is against this game's design document

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Their wording is really bad and makes me think the change list was handed over untranslated and then poorly translated and then poo poo out in the change log without much thought.

It means that you have 10 frames after letting go of a charge to complete the charge input and still get a move. IE you hold back for however many frames you need to charge a sonic boom, then hold forward for 9 frames, then press a button and you will still get the sonic boom. Previously you could only hold forward for 5 frames.

The main application of this is cancelling standing normals into down charge moves, an example being Uriens headbutt loops or f+MP into headbutt.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Thanks for that, the change makes a lot more sense now. What horrible wording

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Claw Vega gets some actual decent heavy normals now it seems, although I don't know or care enough about him to know if they'll be helpful enough. Zangief getting like 3 different new moves is funny I guess.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Jmcrofts posted:

It's actually f+HK that got nerfed, you get a combo on most characters if they're crouching but it's pretty slow, the other guy has to be really scared/asleep on the wheel. Now it's -4 which means it's a high risk/low reward move vs Urien and Gief (since you don't get enough frame advantage on crouching hit) so they basically deleted the move vs those characters.

Ken still has the b+MK overhead which is fast enough to be difficult to see at least, it just does little damage.

e: edited for clarity

apple fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 15, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

oh hey cammy has an air throw again!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

apple posted:

It's actually f+HK that got nerfed, you get a combo on most characters if they're crouching but it's pretty slow, the other guy has to be really scared/asleep on the wheel. Now it's -4 which means it's a high risk/low reward move vs Urien and Gief so they basically deleted the move vs those characters.

Ken still has the b+MK overhead which is fast enough to be difficult to see at least, it just does little damage.

thanks, I have really poor knowledge of what the actual names of moves are

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
(only works against horizontally-angled kick attacks)

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
new change: LP+MP EX shoyuken has invulnerability when the timer shows an odd number. MP+HP EX DP is invulnerable when it's even. LP+HP EX is invulnerable only to ground attacks. Inputting EX DP with the shortcut is not invulnerable, but gives slightly more stun on hit.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

dhamster posted:

new change: LP+MP EX shoyuken has invulnerability when the timer shows an odd number. MP+HP EX DP is invulnerable when it's even. LP+HP EX is invulnerable only to ground attacks. Inputting EX DP with the shortcut is not invulnerable, but gives slightly more stun on hit.

you say this, but zappa exists

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dhamster posted:

Season 3 spoilers! Tag that poo poo.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dhamster posted:

Inputting EX DP with the shortcut is not invulnerable, but gives slightly more stun on hit.

i kinda like this

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
reminds me of Mike Z's terrible/awesome suggestion where if you input a reversal DP frame-perfect it's invincible, but if you input it during the reversal buffer window it still comes out but isn't invuln.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

reminds me of Mike Z's terrible/awesome suggestion where if you input a reversal DP frame-perfect it's invincible, but if you input it during the reversal buffer window it still comes out but isn't invuln.

but then only good players can access their character's tools

I kind of like this anyway but also I don't

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/nycfurby/status/842053083970564096

https://twitter.com/INFILTRATION85/status/842058391702794240

https://twitter.com/Alioune85/status/842056626681053184

General Morden fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 15, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Developer Comments: Invincibility on Shoryuken attacks has been a polarizing topic.

?????????????????

?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Doesn't giving three DP buttons three different degrees of vulnerability make pianoing DP inputs less reliable or consistent?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hah. Sounds about right.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

(only works against horizontally-angled kick attacks)

This is such a weird thing even amidst that sea of weird changes

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

anime was right posted:

Developer Comments: Invincibility on Shoryuken attacks has been a polarizing topic.

?????????????????

?

The poles are Capcom and Everyone Else.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan posted:

The poles are Capcom and Everyone Else.

Capcom plus apparently everyone who writes YouTube comments

Reiley posted:

Doesn't giving three DP buttons three different degrees of vulnerability make pianoing DP inputs less reliable or consistent?

There's no reason to piano DP inputs in SF5

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Zand posted:

but then only good players can access their character's tools

Play Tekken :twisted:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Reiley posted:

Wiggle your stick in a vaguely down/forward direction and hammer the button and a reversal DP will come out in sfv

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

AnonSpore posted:

This is such a weird thing even amidst that sea of weird changes

Bet you they only figured out how to make the animation look good for orthodox looking kicks and just restricted it because of that.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't be surprised if it's a translation thing and it only works against lows or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the leniency on sfv's dp motion is a deliberate ploy to prevent players from moving to other fighting games where you have to actually do more than 353 punch to get one