Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

Splicer posted:

But what do you do with all the water left over from melting the ice caps?

You construct an ice palace in the desert so children can learn to ski http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3554626.stm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Splicer posted:

But what do you do with all the water left over from melting the ice caps?

Honestly, I thought my empire boiled then stored it all for when I need to make an ocean world out of a desert or alpine world.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Wiz doin' an AMA today: https://www.reddit.com/r/4Xgaming/comments/5ym7p7/ama_with_martin_anward_of_paradox_interactive_on/

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Well that was a new experience - I'm the most powerful empire in the galaxy, I see some other assholes attacking an empire I like the look of, so I declare a quick humiliation war so I can bust in and break all their ships and frontier outposts. After this, the empire I like liberates a bunch of the assholes' planets... which promptly ask to become my vassal.

Edit: conformist rad-roaches are the best, uplifted them and now I just colonise every world with them. Permanently maxed happiness with hardly any deviance before I build a capital, with habitability techs they can live anywhere.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 15, 2017

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Wiz boldly staking a position on the most controversial topic of the thread this week:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Is the controversy stemming from the terrible lighting in that photo?

The AMA starts in 30 minutes (1PM ET for anyone who doesn't want to bother with the link). I usually skip these as they're like really slow, boring chat rooms where the answers are quickly burried under a ton of stupid questions but I'll look for a synopsis once its done.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never seen an interesting reddit AMA. Maybe out of 1,000 posts only 100 that are actually the person answering questions and only 20 of those are interesting, which they get posted elsewhere.
WIZ WIZ WIZ IF U HAD TO PICK A BLORG OR A HUG TO FRIEND WHICH ANIME U LIKE?!?!
Maybe fix sectors before you make a dlc!!!
I WANT TO MAKE VIDO GAMES HOW TO GET IN GAMES?!
gently caress you wiz why do I have to pay for a patch???
I heard there are dyson spheres in the dlc can you tell us about those and other questions clearly answered in the dev diaries???
Wiz what is ur fav anime???
Wiz I'm not racist but can we PLEASE be able to purge non-white human pops????
Wiz do girls work at paradox?? what does their hair smell like??? Can I work there? I got ideas for a game!
Oh my god no improvements to diplomacy or war?? How can you ignore these????
Wiz on the latest live stream you did a non-optimal thing, why did you do this?

It's just going to be pages and pages of that along with reddit's unreadable formatting :( God bless anyone who sorts out the few nuggets of new/interesting information though.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I think Wiz should just skip reddit and post a video exactly like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSVQtlQtxCs

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baronjutter posted:

I've never seen an interesting reddit AMA. Maybe out of 1,000 posts only 100 that are actually the person answering questions and only 20 of those are interesting, which they get posted elsewhere.
WIZ WIZ WIZ IF U HAD TO PICK A BLORG OR A HUG TO FRIEND WHICH ANIME U LIKE?!?!
Maybe fix sectors before you make a dlc!!!
I WANT TO MAKE VIDO GAMES HOW TO GET IN GAMES?!
gently caress you wiz why do I have to pay for a patch???
I heard there are dyson spheres in the dlc can you tell us about those and other questions clearly answered in the dev diaries???
Wiz what is ur fav anime???
Wiz I'm not racist but can we PLEASE be able to purge non-white human pops????
Wiz do girls work at paradox?? what does their hair smell like??? Can I work there? I got ideas for a game!
Oh my god no improvements to diplomacy or war?? How can you ignore these????
Wiz on the latest live stream you did a non-optimal thing, why did you do this?

It's just going to be pages and pages of that along with reddit's unreadable formatting :( God bless anyone who sorts out the few nuggets of new/interesting information though.

Brandon Sanderson does very good reddit AMAs, but yeah, they are generally very bad.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This one so far seems fairly informative for now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, 90% of these questions are good and reasonable. People ask a question, and if there's a reply it's wiz answering it. So often it breaks down because there will be a question, then 5 comments from the crowd, then the person answers, then people ask 20 follow-up questions, then 3 off-top arguments start.

"If we go for Biological Ascencion, do Sector AI prioritize each species for each specific min-maxed composition (i.e placing thrifty species on energy tiles, intelligent species on research tiles, agrarian species on food tiles, so on and so forth)?
-The sector AI has logic for moving Pops to tiles where they have production bonuses, yes."

This is good to hear. I wonder if that applies to your core planets too. A little "sort" or "optimize" button that moves the pops around to correctly take advantage of their bonuses.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 15, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

This one so far seems fairly informative for now.

I don't know, I didn't learn anything new from it. Also, it was a bit short. There's a giant stack of unanswered questions at the end, when the AMA suddenly cuts off.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I wish I was good enough at the internet to make heads or tails out of Reddit. I like the dated layout of these dead gay forums much more, though I guess these days that is like preferring a phonograph to iTunes or whatever it is the kids use now

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I wish I was good enough at the internet to make heads or tails out of Reddit. I like the dated layout of these dead gay forums much more, though I guess these days that is like preferring a phonograph to iTunes or whatever it is the kids use now

Don't worry, the good thing about progress is: Reddit, too will die some day. Just hope whatever replaces it is more to your taste and you're good to go!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Guys, we have our own AMA going on in this thread for months.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
At least my question got answered!

No, they haven't implemented hooks so species can have custom robots associated with them, maybe later :negative:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Nah, branching reply threads (like reddit) and linear threads (like SA) have both been around for ages, neither is more dated than the other. Also, the former type has always sucked balls for discussions with more than 10-20 comments

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah branching threaded systems are a lovely solution to massive volume. Imagine if GBS was just one thread and everyone posted their poo poo in it. Of course that's why you have individual threads, which I think work way better and are way more readable than branching bullshit.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Reddit shares the same structure as a website comments section which should tell you everything you need to know about it.

Also, whoever recommended that "faster start" mod a few pages back, we're friends now. I'm the guy that kinda mod was made for.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dog Kisser posted:

At least my question got answered!

No, they haven't implemented hooks so species can have custom robots associated with them, maybe later :negative:

Yeah, together with Wiz telling us robots aren't getting any new portraits, this kind of made me decide to pass on this expansion. Not that I can complain, I put 100+ hours into Stellaris and had my fun, but the idea of my space centipedes turning into humanoid robots makes me roll my eyes so hard it hurts. And my eyes can't take all that strain.

Anyway, if the scourge of humanoid robots / synths is defeated at some point in the future, I'll of course come back!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Meh, it's not enough to put me off the expansion completely. I think I said this earlier, but while it's certainly not perfect, there's still more than enough other stuff that I think it's worth it. Writing off everything from ascension perks to megastructures to all the other stuff because the robot path is a bit boring seems kinda hyperbolic.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 15, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just look at the robot portraits as a counter representing a cool robot form of your race.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Crazycryodude posted:

Meh, it's not enough to put me off the expansion completely. I think I said this earlier, but while it's certainly not perfect, there's still more than enough other stuff that I think it's worth it. Writing off everything from ascension perks to megastructures to all the other stuff because the robot path is a bit boring seems kinda hyperbolic.

I don't have infinite time to play video games, so it's not "hyperbolic" to stop playing a game if you don't find it fun anymore. Hell, I even said I'll come back later after the portrait-problem is solved. That's so milquetoast you could argue it's the exact opposite.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh, I wasn't attacking you in particular, or implying that you're somehow obligated to buy something you don't want. "Hyperbolic" was probably too strong of a word to use there, I'll admit. Was just commenting that TO ME, in my particular situation, the criticisms of Utopia centered around the robot path don't outweigh the other positives.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 15, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It seems weird to me that a single portrait thing is enough to make you not want to play, but I get it. The whole "Private colony ship" and associated capitalist/rand fluff around individualism was enough to get me to never be individualist. People can have weird single-issue things that make or break their enjoyment of stuff.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I wish that, along with the private colony ship, there was a "penal colony ship" or something where for even cheaper you could setup a colony that purposefully has divergent views from your home world (which would be a stand in for the fact that the world is a space Australia populated by prisoners)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

quote:

“I’m not sure having victory conditions in the way we have them now is necessarily the ideal way to do it,” says Anward. “What we have right now is sort of checkbox to tick. You need 40% of planets, or 60% of planets, or whatever, and then you win. But that might not be how the player feels they win.

“Often we find a player will get to a certain point, they decide, ‘I have completed my goal, which was to do this.’ So what I would actually like to do in the future is way more customisable victory conditions. Where the player sets their own goal for the campaign. ‘I am going to be the Purifiers and purify the entire galaxy, that’s my goal. I’m going to be Psionic and ascend, that’s my end goal.’ But to have these more individual and not necessarily have that, if someone achieves their condition, everyone else loses. It might just be that they have now won, but more people can win, so to speak.”

:swoon:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it's time to end the end of history

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Someone asked if with all this new genetic engineering focus and thus the ability to make tons and tons of subspecies, can we actually name them? The answer is no :(
Like just being able to call your guys "desert humans" or "aquatic humans" to quickly tell who's who would go a long way in sort out the already bad species-spam.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Someone asked if with all this new genetic engineering focus and thus the ability to make tons and tons of subspecies, can we actually name them? The answer is no :(
Like just being able to call your guys "desert humans" or "aquatic humans" to quickly tell who's who would go a long way in sort out the already bad species-spam.

The problem is it would require reworking which species are considered the same, as its based on name + portrait right now. This is in plans to do, but not time for it for Banks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

The problem is it would require reworking which species are considered the same, as its based on name + portrait right now. This is in plans to do, but not time for it for Banks.

That totally makes sense. We almost need some Web of genetic relations showing who's an offshoot of who with scaling xenophobia.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

One answer that is new I think is that robot ascension gives you cheaper robots. Also that you can decide species to species wether to robofy.
Edit: Also can I request an unlockable tech for the synth path called 'Backups' that gives leaders who die a chance to come back?

genericnick fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 15, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Aren't synth leaders already immortal?

E: Oh wait they can still die to events/being blown up duh. Backups would be cool.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I have to wonder how the AI Rebellion crisis will interact with fully synthetic races.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bloody Pom posted:

I have to wonder how the AI Rebellion crisis will interact with fully synthetic races.

I'm guessing in a fairly unsatisfactory way :(
But wiz mentioned they've fixed up a bunch of crisis stuff for banks, so who knows what surprises lurk.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bloody Pom posted:

I mean, if anything I want to play as the AI gone insane that tries to murder everyone.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I think it'd be neat if the AI consciousness interacts with you like a normal empire if you're purely synth, but will happily declare war to purge your society of meatbags.

Maybe psionic/genetic ascension paths could have other ways of interacting with the Unbidden and Prethoryn, respectively.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

We haven't got an explicit answer yet but I really hope it's not the same mechanics as a normal empire otherwise it's an automatic game over. I hope we can join the rebellion instead and purge enslave graciously upgrade all the meatbags

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

I mean, if anything I want to play as the AI gone insane that tries to murder everyone.

Not in Banks:

wiz posted:

3) I think that's an interesting idea for the future. I'd like to do more with robots in general (more portraits, the ability to have different models of robots, the ability to start as a rebellious AI, etc) and expanding more on sentient ships could also fit into that.

The more I think about it the more I like the backups idea. Make Synth the say-no-to-death path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Synths should also get a lot of their own hosed up alternatives to drugs and mind control lasers. Perfect thought monitoring and control opportunities when everyone is networked up for an empire unscrupulous enough to take advantage of it.

• Locked thread