Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
i love the new scrunts

that guy has a techno-parrot on his shoulder

EDIT 2: haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

im the codpiece

That Sonic-the-hedgehog(tm)-robot-bird on the middle guy's shoulder sure is something special.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
these are great. I may buy some of the characters from ebay at some point in the future

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

They're borderline for too much detail making the faces incoherent, but that second one is over the line into "where did his face go"

Still probably the best models they've shown in ages

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/03/gw-breaking-updated-necromunda-returns.html

So that's apparently a thing.

On the one hand, I've seen GW produce worse terrain.
On the other hand, the point of Necromunda was that it was gang fights in a big city, not frontline (or spec ops) battles using 40k armies.
On the other other hand, Gorkamorka, and Mordheim were a thing.
But on the other other other hand, why the hell does it have to be scouts again?
I mean, Lost Patrol already exists.

I'll wait for a rules review because holy poo poo if they think they can replace Necromunda with this.
Although I'll be curious to see if it has a working campaign system that isn't made of poo poo.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm kind of on the fence with the new Squats Steamhead Duardin. I like the ornate armour and most of the guns, but the doofy baloons don't quite sell it.

Also does AOS really need another 40k faction lost in space?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Zark the Damned posted:

Also does AOS really need another 40k faction lost in space?

It'll make the blend go easier when the Space End Times hit and the surviving factions marines become Age of the Emperor, and GW launches their totally original idea to combine both their fantasy and scifi game into one, called Sigmarhord... I mean, Sigmemperor

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

this guy has at least 6 separate guns on him

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He's wielding moustache akimbo

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Every last one of them has legs and arms too short to stand back up if they fall over.

:mediocre:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

they stop me from forging a narrative because if I saw some short dweeb with a mustache and monocle and top hat I'd go out of my way to NOT fulton them, Mother Base has enough dweebs already

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

mcjomar posted:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/03/gw-breaking-updated-necromunda-returns.html

On the other hand, the point of Necromunda was that it was gang fights in a big city, not frontline (or spec ops) battles using 40k armies.
But on the other other other hand, why the hell does it have to be scouts again?

I'll wait for a rules review because holy poo poo if they think they can replace Necromunda with this.
Although I'll be curious to see if it has a working campaign system that isn't made of poo poo.

Necromunda was good. So much fun. I'm starting to feel shame since I know this will be my first GW purchase in 16 years.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

Necromunda was good. So much fun. I'm starting to feel shame since I know this will be my first GW purchase in 16 years.

I'm cautiously optimistic on this one.
This is one of GW's better business decisions, going by what we know of the product so far.
The price point and a rules review will leave the situation a lot clearer though, so I'm probably going to be mindful and wait for an unboxing vid and some rules reviews around the web before I drop any amount of money into the GW coffers.
Especially in terms of what units can be used, how the campaign system works, etc etc.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

mcjomar posted:

I am really put off by this for a couple reasons. First, the interesting thing about Necromunda was that it was a hive war with all these different human factions. This is basically just a really small 40k game with some sort of progression system, which is.... ok, I guess, but if I wanted to play tiny complicated games of 40k, I still own the 2ed books so there is nothing stopping me. Making it into essentially 40k, the skirmish game now that we've realized we made the base game huge isn't really compelling to me.

Second, that terrain is trash. I'm not talking about how it looks, although I am also not particularly taken by it, but how it works on a table. You get basically one big piece of terrain with two levels? That's it? The original Necromunda box gave you three distinct pieces of terrain with 2-3 levels, and connectors that would work at multiple heights so that you could arrange them in different ways. Yes, they were cardboard, but we played with those things for years and they were rad, and the entire point was to give you enough terrain to meaningfully clog a board right out of the box. This doesn't look like it comes close to getting the sort of tight-fought battles and claustrophobia that really made Necromunda function differently than the open fields of 40k.

Last, although this kind of loops back to the first, we're making it Space Marines vs. Orks? Really? Thanks for the most boring combination you have only retrod a dozen times. If this is supposed to be the Battle for Armageddon, why the hell isn't it Imperial Guard vs Orks to represent the fall of Hades Hive? That's like a pivotal moment in the narrative and the history of 40k, why wouldn't you showcase it for this instead of whatever bullshit with SM scouts?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't really hate those dwarves, but I agree with the person that couldn't work out what game they were for. My initial reaction was 'Wow, 40k is getting Demiurge back on the tabletop? It really is the end times'.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm the dwarf with one ball.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know what might have been cool; have it set that, there's a war going on outside the hive, out in the wastes somewhere (marines and orks, sure, why the gently caress not) but Dark Eldar slip into the hive and start terrorizing everyone inside. No one knows what the gently caress is going on, only that literal shadows have been stealing people and leaving bloody smears across the halls. The gangers and nobility inside the hive start gathering themselves into their own camps and venture out to try and solve the issue, as well as negotiating past each other (gangers want up and out, nobility think they should stay down in that hole).

You could have, like, six factions! Three separate kinds of gangers, nobility/enforcers, Kabalites and Haemonculus Covens.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Since this game isn't using 40k rules, I wonder if this is a sneak preview of the 8th edition streamlining...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm also the blood marine that bitch slapped that orc something fierce.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like the new steampunk dwarfs. GW clearly stealing the concept from titan forge and running with it. http://titan-forge.com/fantasy_miniatures_metal_beards_ancestral_zeppelins

This makes sense because Kieron Gillen and I both preferred the zepplins anyway: http://hipsterhammer.tumblr.com/post/117425110621/the-dwarf-hipsterhammer-starter-list

My zeppelin that I proxy as a gyrobomber when I play 8th:
]

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 15, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ashcans posted:

Last, although this kind of loops back to the first, we're making it Space Marines vs. Orks? Really? Thanks for the most boring combination you have only retrod a dozen times. If this is supposed to be the Battle for Armageddon, why the hell isn't it Imperial Guard vs Orks to represent the fall of Hades Hive? That's like a pivotal moment in the narrative and the history of 40k, why wouldn't you showcase it for this instead of whatever bullshit with SM scouts?

It's not IG because those boxes sell. GW is likely sitting on tons of unsold Scouts 'cause a Marine army only needs a couple squads max, as opposed to IG where you need tons of them to effectively blob up.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

So I guess we've all been pronouncing it incorrectly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2KqndeepXQ

Ro-boo-tay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RmdAlaOiMw&t=62s

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
He's so loving lame

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

I am really put off by this for a couple reasons. First, the interesting thing about Necromunda was that it was a hive war with all these different human factions. This is basically just a really small 40k game with some sort of progression system, which is.... ok, I guess, but if I wanted to play tiny complicated games of 40k, I still own the 2ed books so there is nothing stopping me. Making it into essentially 40k, the skirmish game now that we've realized we made the base game huge isn't really compelling to me.

Second, that terrain is trash. I'm not talking about how it looks, although I am also not particularly taken by it, but how it works on a table. You get basically one big piece of terrain with two levels? That's it? The original Necromunda box gave you three distinct pieces of terrain with 2-3 levels, and connectors that would work at multiple heights so that you could arrange them in different ways. Yes, they were cardboard, but we played with those things for years and they were rad, and the entire point was to give you enough terrain to meaningfully clog a board right out of the box. This doesn't look like it comes close to getting the sort of tight-fought battles and claustrophobia that really made Necromunda function differently than the open fields of 40k.

For the first bit, it's the fact that we can do this, but with a campaign system that makes me semi-reasonable about this. I've got my 2nd ed books as well, but I can't remember any kind of campaign system in there worthy of the name? This possibility in rules is the only reason that this has any hope of holding my attention. If this part is poo poo, then my interest is gone, and I won't be wasting any more thought on this than I did with Gangs of Commoragh (flying evil space elves just don't work for me, and I still have my copies of necromunda rules and models). But I like my campaign systems, so this is pretty much where my focus is on this product.

For the second bit, yes, but by recent (last decade) GW standards, it's positively intelligent (comparing it to things like the xenos jungle trees, the plasma reactor, the terrain piece based on blood, etc just proves this, because those are hilariously bad, while this is just... bland).
However, we've also seen them supply cardboard terrain with Gangs of Commoragh, so your point has legs and is running.
But apparently you can customise those few bits of terrain to a degree - remember, this is GW so any way they can convince you to buy lots of kits of that particular terrain piece, then they'll do it.

That said there are a number of 3rd party terrain sellers that are - if not always as good as, then reasonably in the same ballpark quality wise - cheaper than GW and still doing the same thing (customisable terrain) but better. So for me terrain isn't the selling point on this. Like I said, I've seen worse terrain design from GW (the recent xenos jungle trees? Yes?), so this just gets a shrug from me. For a newbie (presumably where this is aimed) this will give them a starting point. But unless they provided the box set with suitable quality cardstock, (how does the Gangs of Commoragh stuff stack up on that front anyway? Is it sturdy enough to survive reasonable use?) it could get damaged fast, so wouldn't be as high a selling point as all that. I can see the logic of trying to use theoretically more resilient modular plastic terrain a-la the ruins out of 3rd edition starter (for example - it's my favourite terrain piece they ever made, including the dorky jungle ruins that came with it).

The last bit, you're not wrong here. I don't give a crap about the models, personally, but for a newbie just starting it's kind of important. For an experienced player (read: someone suffering from sunk cost fallacy, or who doesn't give a poo poo about selling the crap they no longer use, or who has sold as much of it as they care to), they'll just care about the rules anyway, supply their own terrain, and use models from their own army rather than giving a crap about this part anyway. On the other hand, if (as I'm guessing) this is aimed at a newbie, then Spehhs Mareeens will be kind of a good army starting point (two troops choices in this box set, so they just need a HQ to start "real" 40k), while the orks (as usual) get hosed over (ten boyz is only barely enough for a single mob). Guard would be more thematically appropriate, but a rank newbie isn't going to give a drat about that as they won't necessarily know or care about that part. I don't know what I would suggest as an alternative to Blood Angels, given that this is Armageddon, that would be kind to newbies just starting out. Tau won't fit, Chaos might if you're playing one of the earlier Armageddon wars. Black Templars? Same issues as Blood Angels, there. Are there Necrons hidden on-world? etc. Hence why GW takes the "safe" option, and shoves more marines in our faces over something more interesting. They're fairly generic, fairly resilient, fairly kind to new players who don't know what's going on, and generally look cool to people who've not got more experience, or aren't as interested/involved in the background.

But yeah, from a veteran's perspective, it's pretty wierd that it isn't Guard. Although someone asked in the FB thread, and the guy managing their community stuff responded with the virtual equivalent of :corrupt: so people are taking that to mean we'll see plastic steel legion. Something I'm still sceptical about, but if that does turn out to be the case, then it might be a good step from GW to deploy this.

If they release these rules (assuming they're being honest about including all the unit stats with the rules for this) separately for a cheaper price point, then I might consider it (assuming the rules aren't crap of course) and just buy the rules on their on to use with other minis/terrain as I've got access to plenty of modular multilevel terrain both of the card and plastic varieties..

Otherwise this is just a step in the right direction for GW. Not a big step, this is still GW, and they still do lovely things (xenos jungle trees). But it's better than we've seen previously.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Man those trees were bad.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Terrain is plastic.

I imagine the Orks are the weaker side in the starter, like the Tau were the weaker side in Kill Team.

And yeah, odds are I'll immediately pull out painted Tactical marines or Mechanicus or Chaos or Genestealer Cults.

But for kids if the price point is low enough it is a great point of entry.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mcjomar posted:

If they release these rules (assuming they're being honest about including all the unit stats with the rules for this) separately for a cheaper price point, then I might consider it (assuming the rules aren't crap of course) and just buy the rules on their on to use with other minis/terrain as I've got access to plenty of modular multilevel terrain both of the card and plastic varieties..
The rumor is that the rules are virtually identical to NM, to the point where you can port your old gangs over.

Thundercloud posted:

Terrain is plastic.

I imagine the Orks are the weaker side in the starter, like the Tau were the weaker side in Kill Team.

And yeah, odds are I'll immediately pull out painted Tactical marines or Mechanicus or Chaos or Genestealer Cults.

But for kids if the price point is low enough it is a great point of entry.
If it's true NM, everyone is going to start out with the same stats. Yeah, it will be silly to have a scout the same as an Ork the same as a Dark Eldar, but they specifically said this is not using the 40K rules at all (again, virtually the original NM rules) so identical stat lines make sense in a NM campaign.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 15, 2017

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

those metal dwarfs are wow as gently caress

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
If you set the bar exceedingly low then every step above that is a success. This is what GW is doing.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
On the Paratrooper Dwarfbots: Given the flight stands and the actual AoS rules, I wonder if they can't be hit by shorter infantry when measuring model to model?

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Thundercloud posted:

Was that the starter set that had a model on one side that the other side was literally incapable of harming in any way?

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Dumb baloon Dorfs are neat and I may buy some when they get a starter box, but I have to wonder if GW is purposely making everything more overly-busy in some kind of attempt to get people to buy more paint. They obviously don't realize that it's intimidating to newcomers or the chronically lazy.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
If you had told me that Squats were coming back to 40k and shown me those pictures, I would have added them to the list next to Genestealer Cult of things that GW have done recently that I actually like.

But these are supposed to be for their fantasy game? Really? It actually is starting to feel like they may be going down the warmahordes route. Sigmarines with Bolters, Dwarves with chainswords....

The not-necromunda game is...odd. If you are going to 'bring back' Necromunda why reduce it to low model count 40k? Kill team was out what, 6 months ago? Why go with marine scouts when lost patrol is so recent?

To me the logical 40k line to shoehorn into a Hive based skirmish game is Genestealer Cult. They are new and here's an opportunity to bulk out the range and they fit the fluff. Keep the marines in there if you must, but I would have brought back the not-judges (Arbiters? It's been awhile...) then shoved 40k rules for them in White Dwarf or the next inevitable Age of Emprah book.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

Those are a joke right? They look worse than your kid brother's first Ork conversion.

They are cool and good.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The balloons really make them look dumb in the same way that the Grey Knight baby harness robot looks dumb.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

:unsmith: :respek: :unsmith:

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Ashcans posted:

This x100

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Yeah, but you're not the target. The target is people who want a 40K skirmish game that can compete with Infinity.

The benefit of this is that it will (hopefully) reintroduce NM to a larger community and get some people to dust off their old gangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

berzerkmonkey posted:

The target is people who want a 40K skirmish game that can compete with Infinity.

lol imagine looking at infinity and thinking "this looks good but it doesn't have that rich gw tang i so desire"

• Locked thread