Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Being the chosen one is much more like being Harry than anything else. Harry, in fact was not really terribly good at much magic except for flying a broom. His grades were always below average in most classes and was thrown into the wizarding world at a much later age than all of his classmates. He was only comparable to the rest of the wizards and witches because he had his unusually powerful artifacts like the sword, phoenix wand (comparable to the staff Akko gets) , and a couple of teachers who would surreptitiously bail him out from time to time (Snape/Dumbledore/Ursula).

If we have to get into this, the point I was making is character motivations. Both Harry and Mildred are similar in that they have adventures thrust upon them. Harry can't help but be the chosen one. The connection I draw between Ged and Akko is that both *seek out greatness*. So they tend to be instigators of the adventures they are involved in, instead of stuff happening reactively.

Akko is chosen - but there's no refusal of the call. In a Goblet of Fire situation Akko's name would not be put into the goblet due to shenigans, Akko would certainly put her name in there herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Being chosen by the Shiny staff is pretty significant. Like Ursula puts it, she mainly falls down because she's being compared to the other students who have been doing this for years and years, but knowing she literally knew no magic a few months ago, being able to throw out repair magic, transformation magic, trigger the cinderella artifact without a hitch, (accidentally) raise the dead... those are significant things.

My point is that Diana isn't much like Ethel at all. The Worst Witch books are basically driven by Ethel's emnity.

Most of the stories so far in LWA have been triggered by Akko's rivalry with Diana. It's just that it's... uhh... coming from the other direction.

A work can be heavily inspired by another work while flipping around some of its key elements, and 'what if the ordinary screw-up was kind of a jerk, and the snooty model student wasn't all that bad underneath it all?' is a pretty obvious reversal of convention. Kind of like how a work can be inspired by Star Wars while making Darth Vader the misunderstood hero. He's clearly still based on Darth Vader, he's just not evil any more.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Most of the stories so far in LWA have been triggered by Akko's rivalry with Diana. It's just that it's... uhh... coming from the other direction.

A work can be heavily inspired by another work while flipping around some of its key elements, and 'what if the ordinary screw-up was kind of a jerk, and the snooty model student wasn't all that bad underneath it all?' is a pretty obvious reversal of convention. Kind of like how a work can be inspired by Star Wars while making Darth Vader the misunderstood hero. He's clearly still based on Darth Vader, he's just not evil any more.

Sure, you can switch around stuff, but I think the fundamental dynamic of a narrative about whether our character can achieve her ambition (vs one about whether our character can survive her enemy's plot) is more important in the comparison than surface elements like 'is our protagonist competent or not'. Mildred's kind hearted clumsiness is kinda fundamental to her character in the Worst Witch series. I suspect Akko's incompetence is being removed as the series continues - but her *ambition* will remain central to her role in the story.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Akko putting her name in the Goblet of Fire or otherwise being a bit of an anti-Hero in how she's so driven by what is most commonly seen as a villainous virtue, Ambition; are all kinds of interesting to think about.

What if Akko is this series's Tom Riddle? :aaa:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Raenir Salazar posted:

Akko putting her name in the Goblet of Fire or otherwise being a bit of an anti-Hero in how she's so driven by what is most commonly seen as a villainous virtue, Ambition; are all kinds of interesting to think about.

What if Akko is this series's Tom Riddle? :aaa:

what does atsuko kagari anagram into

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Futaba Anzu posted:

Checking the internet unless I'm using the website wrong, nothing.

Suspicious.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Futaba Anzu posted:

Oak Ska Guitar

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Oak Ska Guitar

hmm, yes. Anime IS Ska

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Oak Ska Guitar

Oskaar Gaitu?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

A saga. Kirk out.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

I compared LWA with HP in what if HP didn't have Voldemort and Harry got to live a happy life with his still alive parents but still got on adventures with Ron and Hermione.

This is the hook I used to get a couple friends into the show; it's a decent approximation to get across the premise about a magicless girl going to wizard school where she meets two friends, a talented witch and a ginger, and a blonde, arrogant rival. In reality the show isn't as much like HP has that suggests, it's definitely doing its own thing when you look at the actual dynamics, structure, and themes.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Andrews dad is voldemort

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Futaba Anzu posted:

Andrews dad is voldemort
Heh.

Anyways, I suspect they based Andrew's dad on a real British politician.

One guess would be Sir Geoffrey Howe, Baron Howe of Aberavon, Foreign Secretary under Thatcher. Any one have a better guess?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

sincx posted:

Heh.

Anyways, I suspect they based Andrew's dad on a real British politician.

One guess would be Sir Geoffrey Howe, Baron Howe of Aberavon, Foreign Secretary under Thatcher. Any one have a better guess?

Huh!! Oh wow! The resemblance is uncanny!

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
Akko seems to be good with destructive magic (which the Academy doesn't seem to encourage or teach) and magical animals (which will probably be more apparent later.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Drink Top posted:

Akko seems to be good with destructive magic (which the Academy doesn't seem to encourage or teach) and magical animals (which will probably be more apparent later.)

Really not debunking the Akko = Voldemort theory here

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012

skasion posted:

You're right. She's good at forbidden spells too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

skasion posted:

Who knew that Sucy stealing Akko's nose would have such drastic consequences?

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
http://www.netflix.com/littlewitchacademia now sends you to a placeholder page.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Netflix posted:

This show is: Exciting, Feel-good

Agreed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Needs a "Very Sucy" tag

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I like the dynamic between Diana and Andrew. I don't know if this was intentional, but they have the best interactions out of any two characters in the show. Everything about their personal situations, personalities, and dialogue when they collide is excellent.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

I like the dynamic between Diana and Andrew. I don't know if this was intentional, but they have the best interactions out of any two characters in the show. Everything about their personal situations, personalities, and dialogue when they collide is excellent.

Yeah, this is really well done. I like that they're clashing because they're basically the same as each other, but on opposite sides of the magic/muggle divide.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LWA would make a fantastic platformer if each of the girls had different abilities.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mushroom slowfall

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

LWA would make a fantastic platformer if each of the girls had different abilities.

You haven't played Fortune Summoners?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fangz posted:

You haven't played Fortune Summoners?

Never heard of it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Never heard of it.

It has its flaws but it's pretty much LWA the platformer.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Akko has the best running and jumping. She has the Shiny rod that she largely uses to smack enemies and activate certain switches. Sucy can throw potions and make mushrooms to bounce off of. Idk what Lotte would have other than an ability to repair certain ruined objects.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

There's a lot you can do with the spirits of objects, probably.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Euros? I guess LWA takes place in opposite world where Brexit was replaced with Brenter!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Fangz posted:

It has its flaws but it's pretty much LWA the platformer.

Except I guess you get Dianna instead of Sucy for the trio?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
That is one of the aforementioned flaws

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The worst flaw anything could have.

The more Sucy, the better.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Ooh, plot episode.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Ooh, plot episode.

:stare: Y-yeah. Oh wow... wow, looks like the overarching plot just hit like a freight train!!

Did anyone pause at those "red" flashes after Akko passed Prof. Woodward's test? I wonder if they were depicting the past or the future? Really interesting, especially what seems like a (nega)-Chariot in shadow? At any rate, it seems like we've got ourselves a pretty much clearly-stated capital-Q Quest on our hands now!

Another thing I liked was how it was kind of a classic folklore encounter with fey beings, down to Akko going underground into the fairy world and being tested by illusions and visions.

v- I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that! -v

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

One of those 9 witch hats is totally Rita Repulsa's.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Apparently in Ursula's day Titania was part of the faculty, which is quite a bit more impressive than say, a fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Apparently in Ursula's day Titania was part of the faculty, which is quite a bit more impressive than say, a fish.

I dunno. Have you read Professor Pisces's dissertation? Something else, that.

Also, Akko continues, in her stumbling and bullheaded way, to make progress. She knows what she wants, and she knows what she will and won't sacrifice to get there, which is a pretty decent foundation, especially since she's willing to put in the hours.

Episode could use more Sucy, but that applies to pretty much everything that isn't episode 8, so it's not a crippling flaw. Good times.

• Locked thread