Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MacheteZombie posted:

That was some awful poo poo.

Somewhere along the way (maybe after the first Barney / Robin breakup) they changed Barney from "sociopath who really does mean well for the people he cares about" to "unholy monster who no one should ever talk to," yet still expected the audience to cheer for him and be all, "Oh, what a lovable scamp" at his antics.

Oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Timby posted:

Somewhere along the way (maybe after the first Barney / Robin breakup) they changed Barney from "sociopath who really does mean well for the people he cares about" to "unholy monster who no one should ever talk to," yet still expected the audience to cheer for him and be all, "Oh, what a lovable scamp" at his antics.

Oof.

Yeah, he pretty much got the Full Spike Treatment. And much like then, the writers did not have the discipline to look past the charisma of the actor to realize that the character had to go.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kaynorr posted:

Yeah, he pretty much got the Full Spike Treatment. And much like then, the writers did not have the discipline to look past the charisma of the actor to realize that the character had to go.

It's not even that the character had to go, it's that he needed to actually grow. They showed shades of this when he met his dad and started to realize he might actually want a family life, but even in the ninth season, the season about the loving wedding weekend, he was still all WEEKEND AT BARNEYS :2bong:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I remember when TV IV went from loving that show to relentlessly hate watching it, which really was the only sane option because yeah that show went to poo poo so fast and so thoroughly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Timby posted:

Oof.

Still better person than Ted

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I still marvel at certain actors taking really poo poo writing, really AWFUL people if met in real life, and make them compelling and charismatic. From really kooky shows, like Regina on Once Upon a Time or Rachel on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, to basically anyone on It's Always Sunny or Shameless, dedicated to people being jerks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of weird, I've seen absolutely zero advertising for Patriot, on TV or before other Amazon stuff. I only watched the first episode because of the overwhelmingly positive buzz it has gotten in this thread.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It was was on my amazon frontpage, but I completely dismissed it from the thumbnail before hearing praise for it here.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 15, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

It's kind of weird, I've seen absolutely zero advertising for Patriot, on TV or before other Amazon stuff. I only watched the first episode because of the overwhelmingly positive buzz it has gotten in this thread.

It's truly baffling that they're barely pushing what is unquestionably their best original programming show. I haven't seen anything either.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hmm... The first episode of Series of Unfortunate Events did not hook me.

Back to Dark Matter, I guess.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

Hmm... The first episode of Series of Unfortunate Events did not hook me.

Back to Dark Matter, I guess.

Series of Unfortunate Events is kinda boring, slow and repetitive so don't worry about it. If you didn't like the first episode then you absolutely won't like the rest because they are more of the same.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't agree with that at all. I very much had a hard time with the first couple of episodes but ultimately ended up enjoying the show and getting into it. I think there's a series adjustment period to the first part as the characters and settings are introduced and the weird tone of the show. Once it gets going there's more entertaining character sand settings and it moves better.

My advice would be that you should see A Series of Unfortunate Events as 5 2-part episodes. Watch them that way. Ep 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, and 9/10. Each two parter covers one book and has its own little complete story. I only found that out mid watch and I wish I had known that going in and tweaked my viewing to fit it.

In the end I kind of struggled with the first "book" (Episodes 1 and 2) but got into it during the second "book" (Episodes 3 and 4) and never really looked back.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah 3/4 is def the highlight

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

raditts posted:

If that's what I think it is, over here they call them "welfare queens" and they don't really exist so much as they are a right-wing bogeyman used as a justification for "gently caress the poors." No reality shows though, unless you include "news" reports on Fox News under that umbrella.

I meant the shows, not the people. :) And yeah, similar idea really, the idea is to basically troll rightwingers into watching and rage at how poor people spend 'my taxes'.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Holy poo poo, Review is back tomorrow.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
fuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
For, like, three episodes though.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Patriot is absolutely amazing. It's like if Wes Anderson had made a spy series.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hilario Baldness posted:

It also bears more than a passing similarity to Hal Hartley movies, especially Fay Grim

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hilario Baldness posted:

You just murdered any interest I had, yikes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

kittenmittons posted:

Holy poo poo, Review is back tomorrow.

Is it the Review of 30 pancakes fame or a far less exciting Review I've never heard of?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

It's nothing like that at all. It's intricate but the excessively controlled set and costume design and forced mannerisms aren't there at all.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

MiddleOne posted:

Is it the Review of 30 pancakes fame or a far less exciting Review I've never heard of?

Pancakes/Divorce/Pancakes Review. Awesome show and criminally underrated.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Someone oughta kick this joker's rear end

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Someone oughta kick this joker's rear end

I trust www so I may still give it a shot, but I'm sticking by disliking Wes Anderson's work.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

whowhatwhere posted:

It's nothing like that at all. It's intricate but the excessively controlled set and costume design and forced mannerisms aren't there at all.

Someone keeps bringing up Wes Anderson when Patriot comes up. There must be something there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

I trust www so I may still give it a shot, but I'm sticking by disliking Wes Anderson's work.

The similarities to Anderson are mainly in the style it's edited/the way shots are framed, and some needle drops. The actual dialogue isn't Wes Anderson-y so give it a shot!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Patriot has some straight-up gorgeous shots in it too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxNiqmRWTUI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh wow, that looks fantastic.

But also lol that they appear to have included the Djinn sex scene, I hope it's less embarrassing onscreen than on page because yikes

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm not saying the show looks bad, because it doesn't, but gat drat that's a terrible trailer.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This might be a STARZ show that is somehow bloodier than Spartacus was.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Spartacus showed a dude slave with cum on his face. Will it beat that?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I started reading that book awhile back and got distracted before finishing. I was loving it though so I really gotta go and finish it before the show starts. Probably start from the beginning again since its been quite awhile.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Cart posted:

Pancakes/Divorce/Pancakes Review. Awesome show and criminally underrated.

I would say its underexposed, but not underrated. Everyone I know who has seen it absolutely loves it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

IRQ posted:

I don't like Wes Anderson at all and I loved Patriot. Like someone already said, it's only really similar to Anderson in a couple of superficial ways, I'd say it's closer to Cohen brothers material as far as actual substance goes, but it's also different from them too.

It is weird how little attention the show is getting though, I'd figure Amazon would be pushing it on the clickbait review sites much more than it seems to be. It's bound to get a ton of critical acclaim, I just hope it doesn't come too late.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sad that even the Amazon versions of American Crime have that whole not-only-mute-the-audio-but-black-out-the-entire-screen-when-a-curse-word-is-uttered nonsense.

savinhill posted:

It is weird how little attention the show is getting though, I'd figure Amazon would be pushing it on the clickbait review sites much more than it seems to be. It's bound to get a ton of critical acclaim, I just hope it doesn't come too late.

Bad news.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 16, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eh, that's not too bad, about what I'd expect for a show that asks you to accept a lot of weird conceits as read.

Well, it is a little odd that I can't find any single critic saying it's amazing, because it so clearly is. Not as a matter of objective fact, but I mean, it nails the tone and quality that it aims for.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure it's clear how amazing it is until you are a few episodes in. Not that it starts weak, but that it mght come.off as just being wacky/random before you have seen enough to start recognizing the patterns.

I wasn't interested in the show from the thumbnail because I thought it was gonna be a super edgy "reditioning people is so inconvenient!" type comedy. And that's. It really what it's like, tonally. It doesn't come off as edgy at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

I'm not sure it's clear how amazing it is until you are a few episodes in. Not that it starts weak, but that it mght come.off as just being wacky/random before you have seen enough to start recognizing the patterns.

Yeah, a ton of things scan as one-off jokes and then become full-blown serious plots. Like Leslie starts off as just "the rear end in a top hat boss" but then you learn about his past and see how his interactions with John inform other plots. Or as I said before, the entire character of Stephen, you'd assume to never see him again after the intro and then he's a prominent supporting character for the entire series.

• Locked thread