Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Space Crabs posted:

Yeah when they were strapping down the little baby crate and putting a few cantaloupes in it even the kingdom people looked like they knew it was stupid.

It's just another method of control like Negan's whole hatchet trip with Rick.

The whole point is that they are doing what you tell them to do, which means the less sense it makes and the stupider it is the less they like it and the more you get across the point that you are the post apocalyptic boss that makes the rules. They should be glad Negan isn't demanding a finger each time or that everyone wear evening dresses or something.

Exactly. I love to make fun of how stupid TWD has become but this is one, rare, thing that actually makes sense.

It's all psychological, like making everyone say "I am Negan."

And what is very interesting is how the guy in charge of that Savior team feels it goes too far at times. He's showing cracks in the evil "We are all Negan" facade. Probably the reason why he wanted the easy route was because he's a softy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

And what is very interesting is how the guy in charge of that Savior team feels it goes too far at times. He's showing cracks in the evil "We are all Negan" facade. Probably the reason why he wanted the easy route was because he's a softy.

Yeah, killing someone for the orders not being followed and then making them truck back out with a full convoy and cargo truck with a single cantaloupe to make it right is exactly what Negan wants to do, because if they dared to defy your demands you make them make it right at all costs, but the guy yelling at the other guy about it and seeming conflicted is actually surprisingly good development and writing for a show that has the zombie clothesline or apparently drunk rick almost die to a CIG deer when he decides to go "Up Up" *makes circle hand motion*

I'm just afraid they'll forget about developing a complex community for the saviors and instead get rid of them entirely because of how many extras it takes to show them and instead focus on the garbage people because filming in a dump is super cheap and they pay people by the word or syllable or something.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's not even in a dump, it's just another set on their compound

I agree about extras being an issue for those groups but at least you can just pick up crazies from the welfare office to stand in as garbage pail extras

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bates posted:

I can't get past the absurdity of 12 angry armed men having a tense standoff over a single cantaloupe - in a crate which had been loaded onto a truck bed. No one thought to just have a guy drive it out there in a car.

BRING FORTH THE ROYAL LORRY. SECURE THE CANTALOUPE!
I'll just put it in a bag and carry...
IT'S CARGO! IT GOES IN THE TRUCK!

There must be 100+ Saviors why would they even bother with 12 loving cantaloupes. You couldn't just have less frequent drops with actual meaningful amounts of food? This loving show.
Have you ever been in a leadership role of a lot of bored men with nothing to do?

Seriously, it's basically busy-work to either allow people to build up DKPNegan-Bucks, and to keep them from just sitting around getting drunk and unruly and thinking about how Negan's only one guy and it might be easy to take his spot. I used to be a class leader in a high-end raiding guild in WoW and I would arrange for everyone I was in charge of to go out on training missions and/or to assist the weaker people of their same class to get quests and poo poo - I even required my hunters to train 1 dragon a week to ironforge or stormwind, and to finish the hunter class quest to get that bow and staff - not because it was worthwhile as a weapon, but because it forced people to work together and help each other by scouting for the super-rare-spawn creatures in that quest, which required weird ways to defeat. If they didn't do their "weekly chores," then they were not allowed to raid.

I did like that the guy told Ezekiel to literally just make up the difference, no more, no less. He was rubbing in the fact that it was all bullshit, and that it was done simply to reinforce the position the kingdom is stuck in. And it makes it a much easier choice to go against the Saviors when they do poo poo like that.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 14, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The more this poo poo slowly builds up leads me to believe that the season will not with Negan getting defeated, but with Rick bringing together all the different forces, setting out to attack The Saviors, and right when the battle is about to start--CUT! TUNE IN NEXT SEASON TO SEE THE BIG BATTLE!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Astroman posted:

The more this poo poo slowly builds up leads me to believe that the season will not with Negan getting defeated, but with Rick bringing together all the different forces, setting out to attack The Saviors, and right when the battle is about to start--CUT! TUNE IN NEXT SEASON TO SEE THE BIG BATTLE!

And the big battle will happen on the last episode of that season. Every episode preceding the last episode will consist of people in Rick's siege camp philosophizing about violence.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

The Human Crouton posted:

And the big battle will happen on the last episode of that season. Every episode preceding the last episode will consist of people in Rick's siege camp philosophizing about violence.

I fully expect it to be as dumb/lame/lacking as the Governor's first attack on the prison.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Astroman posted:

It's been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZLRAGkeoDE

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

The Human Crouton posted:

This is pretty accurate. Except the next season will start with a flashback to what the guy that got lost on the way to Seaside has been doing for a few months. With an entire episode or multiple episodes inexplicably turned into mostly silent romps through the wasteland.

Maybe a flashback episode to the farm with Maggie getting pumped up about missing Glenn.

Another flashback episode(s) where Rosita and Sandra spend time trekking to the Savior base, remembering and dealing with their issues about abraham, only to arrive when the armies are all fighting at alexandria or some other change from the comics.

At least one more visit to the up up.

Add an 8 month midseason break.

Season 8 will close with a really sweaty rick breathing heavily, staring down a smirking neegan before a gunshot cut to black.

8 more months later Season 9 will open with Rick laying on the ground, the battle already over, flashing back to when he was a cop at alexandria doing some pointless B plot for the entire premier.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 14, 2017

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

An entire season of Rick and Shane: Atlanta PD.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Space Crabs posted:

This is pretty accurate. Except the next season will start with a flashback to what the guy that got lost on the way to Seaside has been doing for a few months. With an entire episode or multiple episodes inexplicably turned into mostly silent romps through the wasteland.

Maybe a flashback episode to the farm with Maggie getting pumped up about missing Glenn.

Another flashback episode(s) where Rosita and Sandra spend time trekking to the Savior base, remembering and dealing with their issues about abraham, only to arrive when the armies are all fighting at alexandria or some other change from the comics.

At least one more visit to the up up.

Add an 8 month midseason break.

Season 8 will close with a really sweaty rick breathing heavily, staring down a smirking neegan before a gunshot cut to black.

8 more months later Season 9 will open with Rick laying on the ground, the battle already over, flashing back to when he was a cop at alexandria doing some pointless B plot for the entire premier.
Way too accurate to not be almost entirely true.

I personally think Rosita and Sandra if they wanna kill Negan so bad, ought to take those loving huge loads of explosives and set up an IED and wait for him to get into a truck for a supply run. Boom. Job's done! Way easier than hunting around for guns and ammo.

But I'm pretty sure they're going to use the explosives in some grandiose scene that takes out the zombie-wall around the compound, because that wall was the big sticking-point to fighting the Saviors in the comics.

Oh and also since Dwight still has his crossbow, there's another scene we haven't seen, yet.. The crossbow assassination attempt.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They are basically tripping over sniper rifles in the wasteland so I don't understand why a guy that walks around in the open all the time and comes over for a friendly breakfast is somehow this ultimate target that 300 people separately need to band together to somehow take care of.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Fear of retaliation, of the Saviors splintering up and then coming to attack them anyway.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
With all the insane setup they put at the very beginning into securing that one loving cantaloupe I was like "okay they have to reveal later in the episode that it's a bomb or something" but no that's just the world we live in

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That was such a great show, but yeah, that was a bit of a letdown. Though didn't they shut down the battle at the end of the episode, not the next season, when the Western States Army comes blasting in and rides roughshod over both towns like a Deus ex Machina?

IIRC Titus Welliver was in that group. Between him and that clip it's like Spot the Supernatural actor--you had Cain and Gabriel in that one clip alone! :allears:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Cantaloupe going to be Season 7's "Goons don't get it" moment?

The cannibal camp seems like it was so so long ago.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't watch SNL much so I missed Dave Chappelle playing Negan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG0wQRsXLi4

Astroman posted:

That was such a great show, but yeah, that was a bit of a letdown. Though didn't they shut down the battle at the end of the episode, not the next season, when the Western States Army comes blasting in and rides roughshod over both towns like a Deus ex Machina?

IIRC Titus Welliver was in that group. Between him and that clip it's like Spot the Supernatural actor--you had Cain and Gabriel in that one clip alone! :allears:
IIRC, the army came in like a deus ex machina and then it turned out that it was just a few deserters with a tank. So the townspeople took their tank, but that was slightly before the end of the season..?

Like, the only thing I remember about the end of Jericho is from the old thread title, "NOW WE HAVE A TANK!!!"

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I did like that the guy told Ezekiel to literally just make up the difference, no more, no less. He was rubbing in the fact that it was all bullshit, and that it was done simply to reinforce the position the kingdom is stuck in. And it makes it a much easier choice to go against the Saviors when they do poo poo like that.

I'll go along with it as long as we agree "rubbing it in" is a dumb strategy for keeping people in line. And it is, the Kingdom is now going to war because an unnecessary cantaloupe drop got botched.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bates posted:

I'll go along with it as long as we agree "rubbing it in" is a dumb strategy for keeping people in line. And it is, the Kingdom is now going to war because an unnecessary cantaloupe drop got botched.
It's all Negan really knows how to do. He rubbed Glenn into the pavement, he rubbed Abe into the gravel, he rubbed spencer out, he rubbed out olivia, he allows Carl to walk around and check out his bevy of hotties just to rub one out while he rubs in the fact that he can afford to be fickle, he kills the doctor to reinforce his point to Eugene that he's in control... It's how he does everything. His followers of course do the same poo poo, whether by decree or learned through example.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Space Crabs posted:

I think why I expect the Game of Thrones "big army preparing to do the big thing that's been building up" works so much better, aside from length of build up, is the fact that HBO went out of their way to show you that they are willing to pump MILLIONS into big gently caress-off awesome battle sequences. If anything the massive set pieces they've done so far, some of the biggest on TV in the last season, seem to really be there to promise you that poo poo'll only get more insane from there.

You're not wrong about Walking Dead though. They will drag the resolution out incredibly. I am honestly shocked they didn't drag the season opener out as a flashback episode.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Blazing Ownager posted:

You're not wrong about Walking Dead though. They will drag the resolution out incredibly. I am honestly shocked they didn't drag the season opener out as a flashback episode.

Yeah instead we got a dragged out flash forward, totally different

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I've actually been enjoying this season, however the Scavengers and Oceanside suck. I don't know why they felt the need to add these new factions to the TV show that just complicate things more.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Rick's army would still get stomped, attacking a well-defended, well-armed fortress. Unless, I dunno, all the Saviors' bullets stopped working for some reason

EDIT - I want everyone wiped out except the Kingdom, and from here on in the series will be "Yes, Your Majesty" with Ezekiel in the Paul Eddington role

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jai Guru Dave posted:

Rick's army would still get stomped, attacking a well-defended, well-armed fortress. Unless, I dunno, all the Saviors' bullets stopped working for some reason

Why storm the place at all? Siege it, IED the hell out of all exit roads, snipe anyone that comes out, starve them till surrender.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Build trebuchets and shoot zombies in.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They should go to the local up, up, up and scout for badbads and use talk talkies to fight the save saves

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MeLKoR posted:

Why storm the place at all? Siege it, IED the hell out of all exit roads, snipe anyone that comes out, starve them till surrender.

Yeah. A wall of zombies cuts both ways, as they say.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I really want them to attack and fail because Eugene gooned up the base too well

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

I really want them to attack and fail because Eugene gooned up the base too well

This

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

Can't wait for Rick's face when he sees half molten metal'd zombies along a fence

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Johnny Truant posted:

Can't wait for Rick's face when he sees half molten metal'd zombies along a fence

"EUGENE!!! :argh:"

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Faustian Bargain posted:

I thought the setup by Richard was pretty obvious (and clever) but was still good because of the monkey wrench the long haired rear end in a top hat threw into it. I was really hoping they killed that guy before he got back to the compound.

But it was so contrived and unrealistic. They had to use something simple like cantalopes and put them in a truck to make the whole thing work. I team of 6 saviors is going to go thru all this for 12 cantalopes?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

But it was so contrived and unrealistic. They had to use something simple like cantalopes and put them in a truck to make the whole thing work. I team of 6 saviors is going to go thru all this for 12 cantalopes?

Space Crabs posted:

Is the Cantaloupe going to be Season 7's "Goons don't get it" moment?

The cannibal camp seems like it was so so long ago.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Astroman posted:

Part of it is probably The Saviors being dicks, ie "The terms of the deal are you will always come to each drop of fruit with a cargo truck, 2 other vehicles, and 6 men and if you ever change this in any way, not matter what the cargo, you are failing to live up to the agreement."

they used a hatchback last week.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yo for real though who fed the cantaloupe to the walkers at the fence? Andrea?

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Space Crabs posted:

Yeah when they were strapping down the little baby crate and putting a few cantaloupes in it even the kingdom people looked like they knew it was stupid.

It's just another method of control like Negan's whole hatchet trip with Rick.

The whole point is that they are doing what you tell them to do,

No it's just bad writing to allow richard to easily swipe the cantalope. Last dropoff they used the hatchback, guy said they were short, ezekiel I believe said look again.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
How many episodes are left, because it seems like a lot still needs to happen. They need to organize everyone, re-introduce Oceanside and get them involved or steal their guns, and then actually have the confrontation with the Saviors. I am guessing we don't get a good resolution this season and have another dumb cliffhanger.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
edit: ^^^^ 3 episodes I think. Probably one episode with Sasha/Rosita, one Tara/Oceanside and then in the finale everybody gets together and start the war - but Negan will somehow turn the tables resulting in the cliffhanger.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

No it's just bad writing to allow richard to easily swipe the cantalope. Last dropoff they used the hatchback, guy said they were short, ezekiel I believe said look again.

Obviously they were told to bring it in a hatchback.

Bates fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 15, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They're going to end the season by having all of the communities meeting up and smiling at each other like retards for five minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bates posted:

edit: ^^^^ 3 episodes I think. Probably one episode with Sasha/Rosita, one Tara/Oceanside and then in the finale everybody gets together and start the war - but Negan will somehow turn the tables resulting in the cliffhanger.

moist turtleneck posted:

They're going to end the season by having all of the communities meeting up and smiling at each other like retards for five minutes

God damnit this is going to be exactly how it goes, too