Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Meraki content filtering, why are you so terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

This happens literally every loving year.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Cowboy SysAdmins are the best.

One time one of our "Senior Engineers" decided to turn four stand-alone SQL servers into a cluster just because he could. Didn't bother to tell any of the application/service owners or lines of business either.

That was a fun Wednesday.
Ah, but this is my boss.

He told me which server he ran the CSR on, but the certificate isn't there. :iiam:

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

Cowboy SysAdmins are the best.

One time one of our "Senior Engineers" decided to turn four stand-alone SQL servers into a cluster just because he could. Didn't bother to tell any of the application/service owners or lines of business either.

That was a fun Wednesday.

Professional DBA here. I physically recoiled in horror as I read this post.

I love this thread. :)

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

anthonypants posted:

Ah, but this is my boss.

He told me which server he ran the CSR on, but the certificate isn't there. :iiam:

We had something bad happen with certs once. Our internal CA had a SHA-1 root cert, so an Engineer that is no longer with the company decided to create a second internal CA and just import all the certs from the original barring the root, then pushed out updated certs to the entire infrastructure.

The good news: certs being pushed out were now SHA-256.

The bad news: the environment stopped working in nearly every capacity.

Man, now that I think about it my company hires some really terrible talent.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 15, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

"Hey, our wildcard cert is expiring at the end of April so I want you to order a new one. Get familiar with the process."
Okay, I'm working on a couple projects right now so that isn't a huge priority, but there's minimal effort involved so I should be able to complete that fairly easily.
"Since you didn't start immediately, I started the process without you. Here's a list of the servers we need it installed on."
Uh
"Actually this list that was generated isn't complete, and some of these servers aren't in use anymore. I used a third-party tool to generate this list."
Uh...okay I'm going to start looking at this now. I got the email from DigiCert with the, uh, p7b file? Do you have the private key that goes along with it?
"I don't have a private key for that."
Uhhhhhhhhhhh
"I generated the csr on a Windows machine."
Okay, great. Which Windows machine?
"I don't remember."

wheee

We had a cert get revoked on one of customer facing servers yesterday, no idea why. Maybe we are supposed to get a email, I don't know. The person who used to handle all the cert business left, his email was sent to his boss, a new guy was hired, he isn't here and now the emails from Symantec go..somewhere.
I go to login to Symantec's site with the password I have on file, it doens't work, password reset goes to the wrong account, so I'll never see that. Person who is responsible for it doesn't want to give me the password, or sign in, so I have no idea.
We started using Digicert for reasons, so I sign in there, get the ok to just get a new cert, see I need a CSR text block. Go on one of our linux servers, run OpenSSL to generate one, paste that into their site. Ok, now I've got a .PEM file, but I need a key and nothing on their site let me generate one. Frantically google how to make these, find out I need the file from Digicert, and the key from the CSR, run them through openssl and the p12 file shows up. Shove that in the site and yay it works.

Thanks knowledge hoardering bosses for keeping all this poo poo to yourselves, or changing passwords. Fuckers.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

diremonk posted:

Why would you ever use a acoustic treatment made of recycled cloth when you could probably do the same thing by using foam panels that are designed for that purpose that won't shed fibers.

What's great about that stuff is that it is super flammable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

Thanks knowledge hoardering bosses for keeping all this poo poo to yourselves, or changing passwords. Fuckers.

It may not be intentional, they're probably just as lost as you are because SSL certs are documented about as clear as mud.

Not sure anyone out there has the faintest clue how to properly manage them, we're all just kind of banging around in the dark.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

slartibartfast posted:

Professional DBA here. I physically recoiled in horror as I read this post.

I love this thread. :)

Probably not the thread for it, but since we're talking about sql clusters anyway - do you have a favorite resource for a run down on setting up NDB clusters? Beyond the official documentation obviously. I'm trying to teach myself how it works and think I'll probably just have to go through the process of building one on AWS or something.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

CitizenKain posted:

We had a cert get revoked on one of customer facing servers yesterday, no idea why. Maybe we are supposed to get a email, I don't know. The person who used to handle all the cert business left, his email was sent to his boss, a new guy was hired, he isn't here and now the emails from Symantec go..somewhere.
I go to login to Symantec's site with the password I have on file, it doens't work, password reset goes to the wrong account, so I'll never see that. Person who is responsible for it doesn't want to give me the password, or sign in, so I have no idea.
We started using Digicert for reasons, so I sign in there, get the ok to just get a new cert, see I need a CSR text block. Go on one of our linux servers, run OpenSSL to generate one, paste that into their site. Ok, now I've got a .PEM file, but I need a key and nothing on their site let me generate one. Frantically google how to make these, find out I need the file from Digicert, and the key from the CSR, run them through openssl and the p12 file shows up. Shove that in the site and yay it works.

We have the opposite problem. Our org is so paranoid after our primary domain expired a couple years ago (due to an expired credit card and the notifications going to an unknown but long gone employee) that now ALL registrations for everything go through our NOC group mailbox. We get anywhere between 150 and 300 emails to that one mailbox every day.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I run into this with my developers. I'm system administrator, and sometimes the devs will be like "man, you sys admins are like magicians, how do you figure out what's going on with linux, it's so ridiculous?"

In the meantime I'm just like fixing a typo in a bash script, and they are designing complicated java applications that convert xml content into PDFs and publishing huge news websites.

This is simply differences in domain knowledge. I'm a developer and I know very little about networking, so the things the network engineers do seem like wizardry to me. We have the same type of brain and fundamental skill set (critical thinking, research, problem-solving), we just chose different specializations. I know I COULD learn about subnets and bash scripting and powershell and poo poo if I took the time, and I'm fairly certain most network engineers worth the name could learn programming. We just both have more than enough information from our own specializations to keep us busy for a lifetime.

My point is don't downplay your own skill set. I certainly don't think I'm smarter than a network engineer and I'm quick to speak up if I hear another dev looking down upon a network engineer simply because they're a network engineer.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

anthonypants posted:

"Hey, our wildcard cert is expiring at the end of April so I want you to order a new one. Get familiar with the process."
Okay, I'm working on a couple projects right now so that isn't a huge priority, but there's minimal effort involved so I should be able to complete that fairly easily.
"Since you didn't start immediately, I started the process without you. Here's a list of the servers we need it installed on."
Uh
"Actually this list that was generated isn't complete, and some of these servers aren't in use anymore. I used a third-party tool to generate this list."
Uh...okay I'm going to start looking at this now. I got the email from DigiCert with the, uh, p7b file? Do you have the private key that goes along with it?
"I don't have a private key for that."
Uhhhhhhhhhhh
"I generated the csr on a Windows machine."
Okay, great. Which Windows machine?
"I don't remember."

wheee

You can probably filter this list down to just the ones with IIS or less likely exchange, they probably used a GUI to make the CSR. This has come up at work for me too. All of the big registrars have no problem rekeying a cert if it is a lost cause.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not pissing me off: before last Tuesday, I wasn't even sure what a pivot table was. Today we had a meeting looking at a prototype report I made, and my boss complimented me on it several times. It's weird having managers that express genuine appreciation. There were a few things I missed, but I know how to fix those now.

I grew to hate pivot tables. They're great for slicing up data quickly, but once I've worked out how I want to look at the data I'd rather replace them with flat tables using sums and lookups (not least because I hate the way pivot table formatting behaves).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh boy, I love being told I have 3 less hours to setup a site in another country and that its urgently needed to be done the next day, but because the network is so lovely over there they don't want me using it until they've all gone home for the day.

Looks like its another late one, at least I can mention this in my review next week. "Will stay late because he's a dumb buttmonkey".

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Yet again, Dynamics NAV.

In no particular order:

* When creating a job, I order against the job using the Job Planning Purchases window. In this window, I enter a Unit Cost, then create the requisition, and from THAT worksheet, the purchase order. The Unit Cost from Job Planning does not translate to the Requisition Worksheet (it pulls last received cost), and 70% of the time, the corrected Unit Cost from the Requisition Worksheet does not translate to the actual Purchase Order. I have to put the unit cost in 3 times for one PO.

* There is no functionality to search Purchase Orders by the reference PO number (e.g. SVC/FOOBAR) only the 6-digit NAV-assigned document number. Instead, I have to find the vendor the PO is for and click through each order to that vendor to find the particular PO I'm looking for. This is really fun when I have 20 or 30 orders from one vendor throughout our branch and I'm hunting for the needle in the haystack.

* There is no allowance for multiple phone numbers for one contact. Extension? Sure. But a separate phone number? Preposterous! And the Sales Lead created from a contact only shows a single phone number. And only the first line of the address, not the second.

* There is no check built into the system for duplicate contacts like there is in QuickBooks; in QB, if I try to create a customer that's already in the list, (case-insensitive) it won't let me do it. In NAV, I could have 3 or 4 of the exact same contact if I don't check before putting it in. Same EVERYTHING except maybe salesperson code. Okay, which the gently caress one am I using?

Hundreds of thousands of dollars the company spent to implement this piece of poo poo with custom plugins that cost thousands in themselves.

And they won't shell out $3k per for a few additional licenses so everyone in the company could work at once if necessary. :shepspends: At least once a day the program boots me for inactivity, then I can't get back in for an hour because we don't have enough licenses.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So wait, Adobe really has ended support for working with files over the network for things like illustrator? This is a thing in 2017?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

MANime in the sheets posted:

We have the opposite problem. Our org is so paranoid after our primary domain expired a couple years ago (due to an expired credit card and the notifications going to an unknown but long gone employee) that now ALL registrations for everything go through our NOC group mailbox. We get anywhere between 150 and 300 emails to that one mailbox every day.
I've got almost the reverse of this, I've got a shared mailbox to use for central management of products and sign ups etc. even the label is obvious (digitalaccounts@domain.com)

One day some renewals came up from our various domain registrars and one of them is linked to a bosses bumfuck gmail account, I figured gently caress this I'm rounding them all up into one company account. I got immediate backlash from finance manager that boss needs complete access to it if he needs to buy a domain (Like what in the middle of the night?) and to return it immediately, so I changed it back over and stated I'm absolving myself of supporting this since its impossible with no access.

D34THROW posted:

And they won't shell out $3k per for a few additional licenses so everyone in the company could work at once if necessary. :shepspends: At least once a day the program boots me for inactivity, then I can't get back in for an hour because we don't have enough licenses.
This is triggering me, exact same situation with Salesforce and I've got people crying to me they can't do any work because their account is disabled. I tell them to go bark up upper management's tree and to open their loving wallet because I'm tired of playing user account whack-a-mole.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Sickening posted:

So wait, Adobe really has ended support for working with files over the network for things like illustrator? This is a thing in 2017?

Only on macs as far as I know and that's not a recent change, it's always been that way... because macs are poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Flatscan posted:

Only on macs as far as I know and that's not a recent change, it's always been that way... because macs are poo poo.

Umm per a few links I read its for almost all its products regardless of OS. Here is an example

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

D34THROW posted:

Yet again, Dynamics NAV.
:words:

Most of this but SAGE instead.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sickening posted:

Umm per a few links I read its for almost all its products regardless of OS. Here is an example

Where does it say there they're ending support? It just reads like a lot of rear end-covering about network performance not being as good as local, to me.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sickening posted:

That's not what that says. It says that Adobe would prefer that you not do work over the network because it'll be slower than local storage (and implicitly, because they don't want tech support calls blaming them when suddenly stuff is slower than the customer expected).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Haven't Adobe always basically said you're on your own if you work from files stored on a network share? Like if you can't reproduce the issue you are having on a file stored locally then they aren't interested?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fishmech posted:

That's not what that says. It says that Adobe would prefer that you not do work over the network because it'll be slower than local storage (and implicitly, because they don't want tech support calls blaming them when suddenly stuff is slower than the customer expected).

The issue is that apps will totally freeze randomly without any real reason. We have 6 designers with a dedicated NAS and every adobe application at this point is causing headaches randomly. NAS performace seems to be outstanding and lantency is not the issue and at this point I have been monitoring it very closely. Just running tests on high end machines the performance gains from simply working locally is so much better than it doesn't make logical sense outside of software bugs. I would prefer not to sync collaborations through sync'd directories on local computers.

I would almost expect something to go wrong with video editing or some other large capacity media creation, but photo editing?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Thanks Ants posted:

Haven't Adobe always basically said you're on your own if you work from files stored on a network share? Like if you can't reproduce the issue you are having on a file stored locally then they aren't interested?

Yes, for years now this has been the company line for InDesign and Photoshop.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Yes, for years now this has been the company line for InDesign and Photoshop.

Incredible. I had no idea. Probably would have never knew if I hadn't lost a few employees in a short period. Getting a few more desktop folks by the end of the week and I hope to never have to look at another adobe product ever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Having said that, I have Macs (10.11+) running off SMB from a NetApp filer (running 8.3.2) and with very minimum SMB tweaks, it works fine. I think I had to disable opportunistic locking and that was about it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Thanks Ants posted:

Having said that, I have Macs (10.11+) running off SMB from a NetApp filer (running 8.3.2) and with very minimum SMB tweaks, it works fine. I think I had to disable opportunistic locking and that was about it.

At $JOB[-1] I bought a Acronis Access Connect (formerly ExtremeZ-IP) which basically unfucks SMB & OS X MacOS (it uses AFP on the server side instead). I had a graphic designer that used Photoshop heavily and constantly had issues with file locking, files just up and disappearing, all sorts of stupid gremlin issues. We installed that (the trial) on the DFS-R host and her issues disappeared overnight, I think we purchased the license a few days later.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 15, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh yeah, that software owns owns owns

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

The Nards Pan posted:

Probably not the thread for it, but since we're talking about sql clusters anyway - do you have a favorite resource for a run down on setting up NDB clusters? Beyond the official documentation obviously. I'm trying to teach myself how it works and think I'll probably just have to go through the process of building one on AWS or something.

Sorry man, I'm the Idiot King when it comes to MySQL. Everything I do is Oracle/MSSQL.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
unless you're working with absolutely gargantuan files operating them through a CIFS share really shouldn't be an issue for *any* vendor ity 2017.

Adobe is a poo poo company.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

:agreed:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One I'm sure we can all relate to, cancelling meetings 15min before their scheduled time.

On the face of it, it doesn't seem to matter because hey, I get time back that I didn't have before.

It's far more disruptive than that though. Planning around the meeting was a concession of time to begin with. It already resulted in a less efficient day. Getting that hour back doesn't mean I get an hour's more worth of work done because I might not have a task that fits neatly into the meeting hole ready to go.

Compounding that is if the meeting has to be rescheduled, then you still lose that hour later.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's even worse when the meeting is being held in another building on campus.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Wikipedia posted:

An adobe brick is a composite material made of earth mixed with water and an organic material such as straw or dung.

Shitbrick describes their software pretty well.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

bull3964 posted:

One I'm sure we can all relate to, cancelling meetings 15min before their scheduled time.

On the face of it, it doesn't seem to matter because hey, I get time back that I didn't have before.

It's far more disruptive than that though. Planning around the meeting was a concession of time to begin with. It already resulted in a less efficient day. Getting that hour back doesn't mean I get an hour's more worth of work done because I might not have a task that fits neatly into the meeting hole ready to go.

Compounding that is if the meeting has to be rescheduled, then you still lose that hour later.

I started a new job this week. My new boss had to go to a meeting at 1pm and left me a couple of things to do while he was gone. He was back at 1:01pm. The meeting had been cancelled at 12:59pm while he was walking to it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm going to start declining meeting requests that are just booking out time to chat about stuff, or wanting an hour out of my day and come without any sort of agenda attached. It's like people are clueless how to proceed on something without having a meeting first - what happened to just talking to people?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
So in NAV, I can assign any number of ZIP codes to a city so that when I type the city into a relevant field, it offers a list of ZIP codes, OR so that if I type in a ZIP code it puts in the city.

But there's no allowance in the screen to assign ZIP codes to give them a state. Only a country. Still have to type in the state manually. :what:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I've had multiple project managers that were regularly canceling meetings (conference calls) five minutes after they started.

It's amazing how their deliverables always seemed to be on the bottom of my priorities list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm going to start declining meeting requests that are just booking out time to chat about stuff, or wanting an hour out of my day and come without any sort of agenda attached. It's like people are clueless how to proceed on something without having a meeting first - what happened to just talking to people?

I do this all the time.

:downs:Let's have a meeting about X, :invites20people:
:colbert: What is the agenda
:downs: to talk about X
:colbert: What about X? X is too generic, I want to know what our objective is
:downs: to talk about X
:colbert: declines meeting