Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wait what, is there an actual loving language they created for the Minions like loving elvish and not just a bunch of loving gibberish? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Today I discovered there was effort put into Minions and now I'm sad.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Macaluso posted:

Wait what, is there an actual loving language they created for the Minions like loving elvish and not just a bunch of loving gibberish? :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure it's more like Simlish where it doesn't actually translate into words but is meant to sound similar to a whole bunch of things at different times.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
PSA: the Minions aren't that bad, you might be overexposed to lovely memes though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

starkebn posted:

PSA: the Minions aren't that bad

PSA: Yes they are

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

Today I discovered there was effort put into Minions and now I'm sad.

They're also voiced by the first movie's director, it would be almost sweet if the end result wasn't so awful.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Minions kinda crossed a line when they became part of an April Fools' prank that backfired horribly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Nah, its just specific find replace with words from a variety of languages, with the word that need to be intelligible swapped out based on the country.

I sat through a meeting from their studio rep sales person. Its done to optimize the minions for global reach among young children.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
you know what I love happy feet, it's one of the most absurd movies I've ever seen. they play boogie wonderland at work a lot and it always reminds me of this scene https://youtu.be/uIzgfH55rKc

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
the girl penguins have bird titties

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

Didn't Peeble and the Penguin do this too? Weird.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Pick posted:

Didn't Peeble and the Penguin do this too? Weird.

gotta have titties how else you know it's a girl and not homo??

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hmm, neither has a bow on it's head so I'm torn

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Minions kinda crossed a line when they became part of an April Fools' prank that backfired horribly.

What was this about?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

ThermoPhysical posted:

What was this about?

IIRC, Something gmail did where you could hit a button to send some gif of a Minion doing a mike drop... And then (seemingly) permanently block the recipient.

I remember at least one article about some guy who accidentally hit that button while responding to a potential employer, which screwed him out of an interview (or something along those lines).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

CRINDY posted:

Is animation fatigue a possibility for the wider market, do you think?

I don't know about fatigue, but there's only so many times a family will take its kids to the cinema per year. I imagine a lot of smaller studios will have trouble competing with Disney and Illumination because those who rarely frequent theatres are more risk-averse when selecting films and thus tend to go with brands they already know and trust. Mabye that's less true for films based on existing properties (TV shows, books, whatever), though.

Pixeltendo posted:

Will the movie end with Gru creating the Gru-mer which causes his twin brother to go bankrupt?

Not asking Danny DeVito to voice the character was definitely a missed opportunity.

Clumsy Card House
Jan 6, 2008

Coco teaser. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNCz4mQzfEI

The end shot of the city looks promising.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Regalingualius posted:

IIRC, Something gmail did where you could hit a button to send some gif of a Minion doing a mike drop... And then (seemingly) permanently block the recipient.

I remember at least one article about some guy who accidentally hit that button while responding to a potential employer, which screwed him out of an interview (or something along those lines).

Sounds like they did his potential employer a favor.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Clumsy Card House posted:

Ugh those stereotyped behaviors and cultural appropriation! It makes me sick.

No way, buddy boy.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

CRINDY posted:

Then again, we're getting close to full animated saturation where there are so many major studios that there's a new studio pic every month or so. Is animation fatigue a possibility for the wider market, do you think?
I really wanna say "no more than live-action fatigue", but frankly I have no real idea. Given Disney was suffering pre-Little Mermaid despite having some great work put out (I mean, I liked Oliver and Company...), being routinely beat out by Don Bluth films, the scenario you propose is entirely possible.

Troposphere posted:

Troposphere posted:

Hedrigall posted:

Animation seems like a great career choice if you're into weird sex things
(I am going to get so much mileage out of this post)

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Looks fun and colourful as hell. And wow, an animated xoloitzcuintli!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I know it's just a teaser but the City of the Dead doesn't look as alive as it did in The Book of Life. I hope Pixar brings their visuals A-game because I'm not impressed

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Larryb posted:

A new Dispicable Me 3 trailer is out.
It seems like mangled rap songs are going to be the new norm when it comes to trailers for animated movies. "Oh poo poo, gotta cut off Xzibit before he mentions weed!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Coco looks kind of dull, visually and thematically, from the trailers but the music is probably gonna be my favorite Disney soundtrack because im not biased at all no sir.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/TashaRobinson/status/841683694708523008
https://twitter.com/acgodliman/status/842036546203222016

This is a goddamn trainwreck, isn't it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What the ever-loving feck?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
At least it doesn't feel like a carbon copy of the animated movie if those are true.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, the Gaston changes are sort of "sure, fine, whatever", but the other one...

Beast-splaining

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Beastsplaining :smugjones:

don't really see the big deal, maybe just trying to make this poo poo a little two-sided

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
lol, Belle's one quality that makes her the intelligent Disney princess is "likes to read" and they decide this is a good character to not know/understand Shakespeare.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

lol, Belle's one quality that makes her the intelligent Disney princess is "likes to read" and they decide this is a good character to not know/understand Shakespeare.

Uh, that's the opposite of what that means. If they're (the twitter poster, not the film) using "Beast-splaining" like "Man-splaining" then it implies that what's going on is that he's explaining to her something she already knows but that he assumes she doesn't. Thus it being condescending.

The change isn't "Belle doesn't know Shakespeare" it is "The Beast is literate and intelligent and treats Belle like she isn't smart enough to understand what he does." (Again, based off only that explanation.)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Das Boo posted:

In all fairness, this is very faithful to the 'original' Belle, who "likes to read," but whose favorite book is a romantic fairy tale about a clandestine prince. The disaster for Beauty & the Beast fans is that the remake is already, imminently ruining the original film by clarifying it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Shadow Hog posted:

This is a goddamn trainwreck, isn't it

See, everything I hear about the new Beauty and the Beast makes me like it just a little bit more. PTSD Gaston owns.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's weird though. It's like the studio going "the villain must have some sort of semblance to humanity to explain that he's not really evil, it was the environment that MADE him that way!"

Although I probably would be on board for watching a movie about Gaston's descent into PTSD instead of B&tB.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Characters don't have to be people they just have to serve their purpose in the narrative.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/capcom-announces-disney-afternoon-collection-ps4-xbox-one-pc

About

The Disney Afternoon Collection brings together six retro games from Capcom into one colorful new package. The games feature a number of beloved characters from memorable 80s and 90s Disney TV shows. Relive those afternoons spent with Disney or discover these pieces of gaming history for the first time when the collection releases across North America and Europe beginning on April 18, 2017 for $19.99 as a digital download on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. With crisp 1080p visuals, a massive in-game Museum full of historic info and art, new modes like Boss Rush and Time Attack, and a rewind feature, this collection is a fantastic new way to experience these classics.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This makes me a hell of a lot more interested in the BatB remake than anything else I've seen.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Larryb posted:

A new Dispicable Me 3 trailer is out.

Huh. I wish they'd explored more of Gru as an anti-villain. He's pretty good at being bad. I just wanted to see him being pretty good at being good by being bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ImpAtom posted:

Uh, that's the opposite of what that means. If they're (the twitter poster, not the film) using "Beast-splaining" like "Man-splaining" then it implies that what's going on is that he's explaining to her something she already knows but that he assumes she doesn't. Thus it being condescending.

The change isn't "Belle doesn't know Shakespeare" it is "The Beast is literate and intelligent and treats Belle like she isn't smart enough to understand what he does." (Again, based off only that explanation.)

I have a completely different read based on how the author wrote it, so I guess somebody'll have to clarify once the movie comes out. Because I've got no interest in live-action Disney remakes whatsoever.