Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

But isn't the entire point that the Virtues are pretty much vaunted a lot but only a rare few actually do anything about it?

Like, Syanna might have been a brat, but Milton did nothing to stand for a weaker girl getting poo poo and abuse, which is cowardice. There is one moment he talks about his past that seems to have a bit of regret there.

The bald knight, on the other hand, is extremely well regarded because aside his goofiness, he truly tries to be a proper knight. And Toussaint isn't in that great knightly shape because, after all, it is Geralt that gets Aerondight and the blessing of the Lady of the Lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Transmetropolitan posted:

But isn't the entire point that the Virtues are pretty much vaunted a lot but only a rare few actually do anything about it?

Like, Syanna might have been a brat, but Milton did nothing to stand for a weaker girl getting poo poo and abuse, which is cowardice. There is one moment he talks about his past that seems to have a bit of regret there.

The bald knight, on the other hand, is extremely well regarded because aside his goofiness, he truly tries to be a proper knight. And Toussaint isn't in that great knightly shape because, after all, it is Geralt that gets Aerondight and the blessing of the Lady of the Lake.
Touissant seems fine as it goes... Damien's as stand up a guy as you ever see in the series. What they did to Syanna is nothing compared to what Radovid does to Sorceresses in the north, magical curses are serious business in the world of the Witcher. Abusing someone with the Black Hole Sun probably didn't seem immoral to them.

But OTOH Crespi was cartoon villain evil from any perspective so who knows.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think there's a distinction between striving for the Virtues and failing, and actively going the opposite direction. Like, do you ever see an ACTUAL Knight (not a bandit or fallen knight) beat up a peasant or actively exploit people? That's a serious question, btw, I don't remember. It seems like "bad" knights are just jocular buffoons.

BTW I know Blood and Wine is supposed to be the light and fun one but that drat abandoned estate where you find the journal that describes the Hanse bandits pulling the ex-knight, his wife, and his kid out of bed in the middle of the night before hanging them both in front of him is really pointlessly cruel and nasty, imo.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 15, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Can you guys keep B&W ending talk in spoiler tags? It's the absolute end of the entire game and just on the last page we had a few people playing it for the first time (including me) and there are still others that didn't get there yet and were actively looking for advice on their ongoing playthroughs itt. I thought we were good at keeping the main game ending talk in spoilers so do the same for the expansion.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 15, 2017

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Fine fine, regarding syanna you dont save syanna for syanna,you save syanna for annarietta,especially if you promisse to do so .a Word once given...

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Every time I sit down to start this game up I think "I'd like to get all the miss-able achievements on my first go since this is a HUGE game and replaying it would take a long time I bet," and every time I look at the huge list of miss-able steps that I have no context for recognizing due to not wanting to spoil myself and sort of walk away. I know I have to Gather Allies and something about saving before going to an Island and it's really easy to let someone die but I shouldn't let her die? And so despite owning the game on both PC and PS4 at launch I always shut down after white orchard and go back to other games.

Help??/???????

Can someone give me a checklist of "do X/don't do Y until you do Z" stuff that I can just ALWAYS look at, or something?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CuddlyZombie posted:

Help??/???????

I'd strongly recommend just playing the game and take the "mistakes" as they come and see how the story works out for you, then reconsider after you're done playing whether you think the achievements you missed are worth going back for. Otherwise you risk turning what is a pretty phenomenal and atmospheric game into a task as opposed to something you actually enjoy. Plus the game is large enough that replaying it is actually quite fun because you're reminded of stuff you might have forgotten or you have a fresh context to put it in.

That said, who the hell am I to dictate what you will and won't enjoy, or how you prefer to play your videogames! So check out this link which details express instructions for every single achievement, warns which ones are missable or hidden away, and use that as a starting point to plan out your playthrough.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
seconding "don't worry about achievements first time through"

finish White Orchard and follow the Bloody Baron quest line for a bit and decide if you really care about achievements in this game :v:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
ok, some thoughts after finishing most of B&W first time through:

-The side quests are all great and it adds a huge new zone to explore
-Gorgeous, different tone than the rest of the game which is refreshing
-Main quest is kinda meh, it's still good it's just not nearly as emotionally compelling as the base game or HoS
-There are a lot of quests you can miss if you don't complete them on the spot, I just failed Extreme Cosplay because I was one level too low to equip the quest sword, reloaded an earlier save, and left. You were so good about this otherwise CDPR, it's irritating.

I really really get the feeling this was intended strictly as an epilogue, B&W only makes sense and is doable at a high level after you've completed the base game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CuddlyZombie posted:

Every time I sit down to start this game up I think "I'd like to get all the miss-able achievements on my first go since this is a HUGE game and replaying it would take a long time I bet," and every time I look at the huge list of miss-able steps that I have no context for recognizing due to not wanting to spoil myself and sort of walk away. I know I have to Gather Allies and something about saving before going to an Island and it's really easy to let someone die but I shouldn't let her die? And so despite owning the game on both PC and PS4 at launch I always shut down after white orchard and go back to other games.

Help??/???????

Can someone give me a checklist of "do X/don't do Y until you do Z" stuff that I can just ALWAYS look at, or something?

I don't know about ~every single achievement~ but here's a list of all the big plot poo poo you can gently caress up to get a less than ideal ending:

At a certain point you can shove Dijkstra. This, uh, does more than shove him and ends that major side-quest line.

When you find Kiera at the Tower on the island at the end of that quest line, you can kill her (rude because she's awesome) or you can let her go (not ideal) or you can send her to Kaer Morhen.

You can gently caress both Triss and Yen, but if you tell them both you love them, you'll end up forever alone, so choose wisely. Yen is kinda the default choice and Triss has somewhat less content.

It'll tell you some quests will become unavailable once you sail to the Isle where Ciri is. Those quests are the Dijkstra/Radovid/etc storyline, so you might want to finish them before you go there.

Whether Ciri lives or dies depends on what you choose and how good a dad you are during five certain scenes when you two are together. I suppose it's up to you if you want to google the specific choices.

Gwent is rad. Get into Gwent from the start.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm not sure that you can do every achievement in one play through tbh, especially if you have the paid DLC's installed (Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine) because there are points in there that the quest line can be done in 2 different ways and you get an achievement for each seperate path. It might just be B&W that does this, it's been a while since I got the achievements myself. However you'd have to have a save before it splits and replay the other path to get both.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
re: Mutual of Beauclair's Wild Kingdom

gently caress you, you incredible moron, I'm not going to let a super-toxic subspecies of basilisk that just murdered five humans survive for your personal vanity

a bloo bloo, it's my family crest, don't kill the last one!!

you're talking to the wrong dude

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

re: Mutual of Beauclair's Wild Kingdom

That incredible moron had set up signs warning people to avoid the area, and those people who got killed had hoped to get their caravan destroyed by the basilisk so that they could claim an insurance payout. If you spare the creature the incredible moron sets up a fence and hires guards to keep people away from the basilisk. To kill a monster that is not threatening anyone is not necessarily something Geralt would do.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How am I already at 35 hours with this game? I'm level 12, have barely done half of Velen and haven't even touched Skellige or Kaer Morhen. It's not like I dawdle or meander all that much except for the odd Place of Power exploration. drat. This is going to be a 200+ hour game easy, especially with the expansions.

Last night I put a single point into Acquired Tolerance and I guess I had found quite a lot of level 1 recipes because my toxicity is now high enough to guzzle two decoctions and a few spare potions as well. I've only just dabbled in the Alchemy skill tree and I feel like I'm going to be a beast before too long. The only enemy that is consistently annoying is a bandit with a crossbow, go figure. But right now I don't have the ability points or activated skill slots to spare on Deflection or an upgraded Yrden if it's only for one enemy type.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

The only enemy that is consistently annoying is a bandit with a crossbow, go figure.
Just keep moving.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sweet child hasn't experienced the pleasure of skelligan siren swarms yet

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

How am I already at 35 hours with this game? I'm level 12, have barely done half of Velen and haven't even touched Skellige or Kaer Morhen. It's not like I dawdle or meander all that much except for the odd Place of Power exploration. drat. This is going to be a 200+ hour game easy, especially with the expansions.

Yeah I have 110 hours and only just finished the main game + side quests. Haven't even touched the DLCs yet.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lobok posted:

The Velen map includes Novigrad and the Hearts Of Stone area so it constitutes most of the game; it's not nearly as daunting as it looks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redbackground posted:

Just keep moving.

Between dodges and Quen shields I can handle them but they are annoying for how I need to chase after them. I like to use Aard to knock them down so I can murderize them as emphatically as possible.

2house2fly posted:

The Velen map includes Novigrad and the Hearts Of Stone area so it constitutes most of the game; it's not nearly as daunting as it looks.

Yeah not quite the size of the maps per se, as I've been to Novigrad briefly already and saw the HoS area in the corner of the map from another Internet discussion. Just mission volume and the number of map markers.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I like to use Aard to knock them down so I can murderize them as emphatically as possible.
:same:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it really confused me for a hot minute how there's this whole storyline important bit about getting a pass to allow you into novigrad when i swam across the river and explored the entire town 13 hours ago. i assumed it must be a different city.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
ALSO I just started the Cabaret sidequest and somehow the game cheated me out of a Dandelion/Priscilla argument. I'm talking to Dandelion inside the bar he bought, after talking to the dwarf outside, and Dandelion and Geralt just dive into some discussion about Priscilla ("What was that about?!") that I definitely have no idea what they're talking about, so I look up the quest specifics and I see that there was an initial cutscene or something that just didn't play. :/

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 15, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cowcaster posted:

it really confused me for a hot minute how there's this whole storyline important bit about getting a pass to allow you into novigrad when i swam across the river and explored the entire town 13 hours ago. i assumed it must be a different city.

I didn't swim to get there but it was funny that as part of my reward for one of the big missions I got a pass when I had already been to Novigrad much earlier. There's a merchant right by the bridge who will sell you a pass if you do a small quest for him or you can just Axii him to offer it to you for cheap.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

redbackground posted:

ALSO I just started the Cabaret sidequest and somehow the game cheated me out of a Dandelion/Priscilla argument. I'm talking to Dandelion inside the bar he bought after talking to your dwarf buddy, and he and Geralt just dive into some discussion with Priscilla that I have not heard so I look up the quest and I see that there was an initial cutscene or something that I just didn't see. :/

Did you wander into the brothel and talk to Dudu right away? One time it glitched for me and Priscilla and Dandelion's initial argument played in the background while I was in conversation. It's not a big conversation anyways, just one of those incidental ones.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did you wander into the brothel and talk to Dudu right away? One time it glitched for me and Priscilla and Dandelion's initial argument played in the background while I was in conversation. It's not a big conversation anyways, just one of those incidental ones.

I actually waltzed through the back entrance of the Rosemary & Thyme initially (which probably should have stayed locked to eliminate this possibility occurring), got the quest checkmark sound effect ("Meet Dandelion"), poked around a hot second, and then went back out to the front of the building where I got the cutscene with Dwarfy no-selling the two thugs' threats about opening the bar. Talked to him about finding some Gwent cards for whoever, and then went inside, talked to Dudu first since I figured talking to Dandelion would be the longer and more important of the two conversations, and then only after I left the building did I see Priscilla hanging around out front, and she only spoke in generic NPC phrases. I didn't even know she was in the area, so when Geralt started with all that "Priscilla and you, what's up?" stuff, I was muy confused-o.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 15, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Cowcaster posted:

I grabbed a boat, sailed into the harbor just as the sun came up, and was promptly assaulted by a street gang that was 4 levels higher then I was. I barely fought them off.

Ah, Novigrad.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I didn't swim to get there but it was funny that as part of my reward for one of the big missions I got a pass when I had already been to Novigrad much earlier. There's a merchant right by the bridge who will sell you a pass if you do a small quest for him or you can just Axii him to offer it to you for cheap.

Mine happened as I was leaving Novigrad, guards stopped me and were basically "grr no witchers here!" and some head guard came over and said I was allowed in.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cowcaster posted:

A neat little touch is that if you did that in the presence of soldiers they'd start shooting at you.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Holy poo poo the drinking scene in Kaer Mohen is so good

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm dinkin around Novigrad, and I find I can no longer hustle peeps in Gwent.

Motherfucker.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
It took me until the beginning of NG+ to realize that there are Gwent difficulty levels. Wow.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

opposable thumbs.db posted:

It took me until the beginning of NG+ to realize that there are Gwent difficulty levels. Wow.
Well, I didn't know until now.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Palpek posted:

Well, I didn't know until now.

They added it with the big semi enhanced edition patch IIRC, so don't worry, you're not crazy.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Speaking of gwent difficulty levels, I finished up Gwent: To Everything - Turn, Turn, Tournament! from B&W last night and wound up not having to restart. My heart was loving pumping like crazy the whole time because of how used to the baller Novigrad deck I had been using and how much more ramped up the difficulty was compared to other gwent players. I agree with the pissed off dwarves, Skellige deck sucks rear end!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kopijeger posted:

That incredible moron had set up signs warning people to avoid the area, and those people who got killed had hoped to get their caravan destroyed by the basilisk so that they could claim an insurance payout. If you spare the creature the incredible moron sets up a fence and hires guards to keep people away from the basilisk. To kill a monster that is not threatening anyone is not necessarily something Geralt would do.

Agree with this. My Geralt is an eco warrior within reasonable limits.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I just started a new playthrough,after FINALLY getting SlotsSlotsSlots to play nice with my other mods,and I have a question-the moment I set foot in Velen I got the notification that Hearts of Stone is available. But I've had no such popups for Blood &Wine,even though Not-France is on my map. Do I have to play the story up to a certain point,or is there a bug? It's been a while since I've played this.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah, Blood and Wine pops up a little while later, and iirc you'll automatically get the starting mission for it in your quest log.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
IIRC there's also a note in a nearby bandit camp that says the basilisk just wrecked the wagons and didn't actually kill anyone, then the bandits moved in after the basilisk flew away.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

2house2fly posted:

Yeah, Blood and Wine pops up a little while later, and iirc you'll automatically get the starting mission for it in your quest log.

Phew,that's a relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Agree with this. My Geralt is an eco warrior within reasonable limits.

Staltran posted:

IIRC there's also a note in a nearby bandit camp that says the basilisk just wrecked the wagons and didn't actually kill anyone, then the bandits moved in after the basilisk flew away.

I'd had two beers and clearly missed some stuff in that quest, hah