Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

I call those types "Tactical Snake Oil Salesmen"

Snake Oil Eaters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Snake Oil Eaters?

That's the customers

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Booblord Zagats posted:

That's the customers

Those are also the people who would unironically call the Operator Hotline if it existed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08kSncpUnUo

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I would read a sociology paper on the spread of the image of Special Forces in popular culture.

It seems like until 2001 or so line infantry was the common conception of the military. Most people now could rattle off the names of units that were entirely out of the public imagination in say 1999.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 15, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Frosted Flake posted:

I would read a sociology paper on the spread of image of Special Forces in popular culture.

It seems like until 2001 or so line infantry was the common conception of the military. Most people now could rattle off the names of units that were entirely out of the public imagination in say 1999.

That's ignoring things like Navy SEALs, the Delta Force movies, and all the other lovely movies of the 80s and 90s that centered on special operations units.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Right but I'm not sure the average dude watching "Commando" took it nearly as seriously then as people do now.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

mlmp08 posted:

Right but I'm not sure the average dude watching "Commando" took it nearly as seriously then as people do now.

80s was cartoon action, made to be entertaining and only entertaining. New action tries to be realistic, artful and maybe entertaining in the case of poo poo like Hardcore Henry and John Wick. Problem is most film makers aren't nearly good enough to pull off more than one, much less all 3

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Commandos were lionized in the 80s and 90s from what I can see, but it was a somewhat generic interpretation. People knew who SEALS and Delta Force were, but that was the extent to what got name dropped. It was always guys dressed in all black with black face paint, shooting MP5s from the hip and throwing grenades that blew up entire guard towers in huge gasoline fireballs that flung men two stories into the air. I'm doing a Let's Read of Wingman, a lovely pulp novel series that started publication in 1987, and the author does things like dress everyone up in black jumpsuits or have SAS fighting as regular infantry in units of 600 or more like they're just the next level up from Marines.

The current obsession with specific units like SEAL Team 6 or "Tier One" seems to be part of the recent conflicts in the Middle East, where exploits like the assassination of Osama Bin Laden get talked about publicly and a little more information about the identities of the units and people involved are leaked out. There's a general uptick in the interest people have in ARE TROOPS, which drives the more military-minded people to harp over the specifics like exactly what gear a particular unit carries.

How many movies have Benghazi and the assassination of Bin Laden got since they occurred?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think there have been five Bin Laden raid movies if you count zombies

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gonna start writing a screenplay that's nothing but Rangers digging up Jessica Lynch's unit from that soccer field after extracting her, gonna get optioned, just you see

The sequel will be the 'combat jump' that was basically 90% field grades that wanted their mustard stain

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Actually I'm surprised hollywood didn't poo poo out a Robert's Ridge movie yet, but I guess they don't like to focus on the proud SEAL tradition of calling in the Rescue Rangers every time they gently caress up

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iss4xxLwqwc

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
in case yall forgot Act of Valor was pretty much a Navy approved propaganda film, up to providing the SEALs to do it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
theres also trash like lone survivor and american sniper. gently caress both of those movies. its pretty funny that every flick featuring seals is goddamn terrible

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ahaha suggested videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g5p6b-ZZ5Y

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Gun people are the worst

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

my kinda ape posted:

Gun people are the worst

It's like anything else, when you only have one part to your entire personality, you're going to be a loving rear end in a top hat. Don't matter if it's guns (Gun nuts), cars(Hella Flush), pets (Crazy cat lady), politics (ugghhhh) or videogames (twitch). If you're one dimensional, everyone but people exactly like you will hate you

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's like anything else, when you only have one part to your entire personality, you're going to be a loving rear end in a top hat. Don't matter if it's guns (Gun nuts), cars(Hella Flush), pets (Crazy cat lady), politics (ugghhhh) or videogames (twitch). If you're one dimensional, everyone but people exactly like you will hate you

Is it okay to like a just a bit of each of those to a moderate degree? :ohdear:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

pretty sure that was his point :)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

theres also trash like lone survivor and american sniper. gently caress both of those movies. its pretty funny that every flick featuring seals is goddamn terrible

Reminder that Lone Survivor features a scene of these dudes falling down a mountain that would be home in a Loony Tunes cartoon.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
My related video: A dude that doesn't really want to be like the highspeed operators, he wants to be like the Youtubers that emulate the highspeed operators.

You know, the ones that have mastered tactical talking and explaining, tactical enunciation, and tactical knifehanding while pop-and-locking every loving movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2SbbdW6S_g

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
the best war on terror specops movie was The Objective. SPOOPY WIZARD TALIBANS OOOooooOOOOoooOOooooo

edit: i forgot this :ghost:

Mike-o fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 15, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

That's called being well-rounded.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

tactical enunciation

"Hello GENTLEMEN. Today we will be examining the AR-15 PLATFORM"

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Not the president, just innocent people. He also lied about having a Tennessee Department Of Safety Certified Firearms Instructor certificate (which doesn't exist).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNhsJLEEZ54

Oh word, I thought it was the president. Still pretty dumb of him though, sheesh.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

I would read a sociology paper on the spread of the image of Special Forces in popular culture.

I'm actually writing my Master's Thesis on Iraq War veteran literature and how it seeks to challenge the hegemonic discourses surrounding the American soldier, and provide a counter narrative to all the OORAH ARE TROROOPS platitudes :shobon:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Missionary Positron posted:

I'm actually writing my Master's Thesis on Iraq War veteran literature and how it seeks to challenge the hegemonic discourses surrounding the American soldier, and provide a counter narrative to all the OORAH ARE TROROOPS platitudes :shobon:

Care to shine some light on Operator worship?
The most memorable WW2 memoirs I remember reading growing up were all written by cold, miserable grunts, whereas I see the HSLD titles selling pretty well from the GWOT era.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I read lone survivor twice: once before I joined then the other towards the end of deployment. It's almost comical how bad they hosed. 4 man team gets compromised by kids, continue recon mission, all but one dies. All of that could have been avoided if they had extracted after getting compromised.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
SEALs are loving stupid.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

There's this great paper about SEALs being, well, not quiet professionals.

http://calhoun.nps.edu/handle/10945/47927

It seems like other elements of the community tend to be a little bit more subdued about their service than NSW.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Reverand maynard posted:

I read lone survivor twice: once before I joined then the other towards the end of deployment. It's almost comical how bad they hosed. 4 man team gets compromised by kids, continue recon mission, all but one dies. All of that could have been avoided if they had extracted after getting compromised.

I genuinely thought they made that part up for the movie. We're compromised? Nah, lets go on lol

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

The way I see it, the whole SF/Operator worship is just symptomatic of the nature of GWOT, and the role special forces have played in it. That, and they were the first ones in Afghanistan after the towers fell and America was out of revenge. That positioned them as an ~icon~ of the war of terror. What's a better counter to an invisible enemy that blends in a crowd, than a surgical elite force? In addition, they make for a really good subject for the entertainment industry which results in a loop wherein the SF operators themselves are both the subjects as well as the consumers of the cultural texts that mostly emphasize how loving rad and HIGH SPEED they are. No wonder that they start doing poo poo like canoeing, and carrying tomahawks etc etc. When every single part of your culture emphasizes your greatness, it's really easy to start believing it, and that you're above everything.

This is all just off the cuff opinions, as I don't really deal Special Force/Operator stuff. I'm mostly writing about how veteran literature can provide a voice for the experiences that are often marginalized, because they don't fit the hegemonic view of what constitutes the cultural image of a veteran. Actually, I should really look more into it the whole SF hype as it epitomizes everything's that's broken about the the general public's perception of military life.

quote:

The most memorable WW2 memoirs I remember reading growing up were all written by cold, miserable grunts, whereas I see the HSLD titles selling pretty well from the GWOT era.

More speculation, but it could also have something to do with the fact that the average American of today is much more disconnected from the realities of military life compared to WW2. Back then, probably everyone knew someone who served either in the Pacific or Europe. Compare that to now: most Americans are barely connected to the military at all, and are shaped by what movies, tv shows, and video games show war to be. That's why memoirs like the American Sniper do well, they presents all the thrills of "war" in a clear cut , black and white, and easy to understand package, without the moral uncertainties and shades of grey of the real world. Just like the movies. There is no personal connection like with WW2.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

I'm mostly writing about how veteran literature can provide a voice for the experiences that are often marginalized, because they don't fit the hegemonic view of what constitutes the cultural image of a veteran.

Sounds interesting - care to share some titles?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Frosted Flake posted:

Nobody who spent 6+ months jerking off in a portashitter and raking sand/rocks while surviving a dozen mortar rounds a month is writing a book. Not yet, anyway. Remember that all those WWII memoirs came out years later. The 2020s are probably going to be full of novel-length versions of the dick book's stories.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Dukket posted:

Sounds interesting - care to share some titles?

Redeployment by Phil Klay is a collection of short stories that comes to mind. Mainly because it's also my paper's main focus :v:.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Godholio posted:

Nobody who spent 6+ months jerking off in a portashitter and raking sand/rocks while surviving a dozen mortar rounds a month is writing a book. Not yet, anyway. Remember that all those WWII memoirs came out years later. The 2020s are probably going to be full of novel-length versions of the dick book's stories.

That's also true. The usual cycle goes poetry -> fiction -> memoirs. Currently we're going through the fiction phase.

EDIT: Had to dig up the worst example of the OORAH-garbage I used in my seminar presentation:

I mean, JFC.

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 15, 2017

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I honestly need to write my memories down....it's starting to get further and further away from when I was in Iraq. gently caress it's already been 10 god drat years.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Rare Nuclear Test Films Saved, Declassified, and Uploaded to YouTube

quote:

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) weapon physicist Greg Spriggs has made it his mission to preserve these 7,000 known films, many of them literally decomposing while they’re still classified and hidden from the public.

According to LLNL, this 5-year project has been tremendously successful, with roughly 4,200 films already scanned and around 750 of those now declassified. Sixty-four of the declassified films have been uploaded today in what Spriggs is calling an “initial set.”

LLNL Atmospheric Nuclear Tests: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvGO_dWo8VfcmG166wKRy5z-GlJ_OQND5

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZIkG1kWRng

oh yeah thats the good stuff

edit: the videos just showing a glowing ball, is that just measuring the light/radiation given off or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That's also true. The usual cycle goes poetry -> fiction -> memoirs. Currently we're going through the fiction phase.

EDIT: Had to dig up the worst example of the OORAH-garbage I used in my seminar presentation:

I mean, JFC.

Which is great because the original Jarhead is the story of how being a Marine in Iraq kinda sucks and there's no real glory, just a lot of boredom and masturbation in between nearly being blown up by accident.