Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

The Shortest Path posted:

Bitterblossom stuck at $25 despite seeing play in zero good decks, same with Baby Jace.

Archangel of Thune is still around 20 and is a relatively useless card since the pod ban, it's been steady for months.

Price memory is the worst.

I imagine Archangel has some casual/EDH appeal. Life-gain theme AND an angel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

At least Thune is in the very popular in casual wheelhouse.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

KillarySwank posted:

Price memory is the worst.

I imagine Archangel has some casual/EDH appeal. Life-gain theme AND an angel.

Also Soul Sisters is an occasional blip on the Modern radar.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Btw, if you want to see Todd Stevens get smashed in the middle of a weekday he is streaming for 12 hours and has been drinking since 10am.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Btw, if you want to see Todd Stevens get smashed in the middle of a weekday he is streaming for 12 hours and has been drinking since 10am.

Isn't that dude a school teacher? Jesus...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

Yes. Its spring break for most of texas schools.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

ShaneB posted:

I'm grumpy about this because I'm not spending $5 on a widely printed uncommon.

in 1995 I could buy a pack of Revised for $3.25 and people would buy Serra Angel, Sengir Vampire, Clone, Sol Ring, or Demonic Tutor for $5 uncommons all day, every day. Ravnica block: you needed Remands, Spell Snares, Lightning Helix so I see good uncommons being worth $5 if you play $3.99 retail for basic packs and $10.99 (?) for Eternal and Modern Master packs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

No Luck Needed posted:

in 1995 I could buy a pack of Revised for $3.25 and people would buy Serra Angel, Sengir Vampire, Clone, Sol Ring, or Demonic Tutor for $5 uncommons all day, every day. Ravnica block: you needed Remands, Spell Snares, Lightning Helix so I see good uncommons being worth $5 if you play $3.99 retail for basic packs and $10.99 (?) for Eternal and Modern Master packs.

Remand hit $7, but I don't remember Lightning Helix or Putrefy being more than $2.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
It depends on a lot of factors. Dismember stayed at close to 5 and had much less implications for eternal formats, but it was much less drafted due to being in the third set from a block.

The paper market is much less fluid than MTGO, where fatal push has fallen to under two tickets. I don't really play the MTGO long game of buying cards to sell later, but you wouldn't be foolish for buying 20 now and sitting on them, it'll be worth 4-5 tickets in a couple years without fail.

Back when I was a heavy drafter I used to never sell my lands and right before set rotation I'd buy 4 play sets on modo of all the essential mana fixing, and like clockwork sell off last years which were of course suddenly in short supply as they hadn't been drafted in so long. I don't think I ever lost money on a single dual land, although some appreciated less than a ticket depending on how the format shook out, but it was always worth double whatever I paid in aggregate, and in the case of fetch lands and man lands it was absurd. I remember creeping tar pit in particular quadrupling in value while it was in standard.

E: haha watching Numot and he just said chests dropped in price already just due to the announcement.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 15, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dehtraen posted:

He's probably a serial killer.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

lol if you don't think every school teacher is like that

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I was going to say. How many teachers have you met as an adult?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

With the crazy PC world we live in where you can get in trouble/fired for anything you think as a teacher he probably wouldn't drink and stream because there is some dickhole that could report him and be like "Why is this irresponsible person teaching our kids"

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Just keeping everything straight since the thread moves fast: if you don't have a car you're not allowed to play magic, and if you teach children you're not allowed to get hammered, thanks./

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Dehtraen posted:

As guy who is longtime friends with some teachers, you have 2 types of people who willingly go into a profession where they get paid nothing and have to look after other people's kids:

Very maternal/paternal personality
loving insane

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Just keeping everything straight since the thread moves fast: if you don't have a car you're not allowed to play magic, and if you teach children you're not allowed to get hammered, thanks./

Yeah one or two people will post an opinion and we all agree with it automatically. It's a thread rule!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Yeah one or two people will post an opinion and we all agree with it automatically. It's a thread rule!

agreed

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If someone can prove to me that they're a teacher I almost feel obligated to buy them a drink.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

I, for one, am finally glad to find a community where we all agree that arc-slogger is the greatest card ever

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

With the crazy PC world we live in where you can get in trouble/fired for anything you think as a teacher he probably wouldn't drink and stream because there is some dickhole that could report him and be like "Why is this irresponsible person teaching our kids"

Eh, I honestly doubt even going that far anybody would give a poo poo in Texas. Besides, he has made it known that he intends to quit his career and do magic full time. Also considering he is a math teacher he would have to massively gently caress up to get fired.

ThePeavstenator posted:

As guy who is longtime friends with some teachers, you have 2 types of people who willingly go into a profession where they get paid nothing and have to look after other people's kids:

Very maternal/paternal personality
loving insane

Teachers and drinking go hand in hand.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Quick, where is suicide steve to complete the threadshitting trifecta?

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 15, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

Quick, where is suicide steve to complete the threadshitting trifecta?

"Restricting Chalice and Lodestone Golem made Shops unplayable and made Vintage terrible."

Good enough?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

Which mtgs thread was this post from

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I believe they sign a contract when they're hired that they're not to wear skirts at any time and attending the ice cream social when any students are present is strictly prohibited.

Hellsau posted:

"Restricting Chalice and Lodestone Golem made Shops unplayable and made Vintage terrible."

Good enough?

It's playable only because it kinda beats Mentor even though it really doesn't. But yes it made vintage really bad.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

So yeah, Death's Shadow.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

So yeah, Death's Shadow.

Leyline of Sanctity is now a 20 dollar magic card on average.

Oh and laffo at tarfire prices too.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

InterrupterJones posted:

So yeah, Death's Shadow.

Well I regret selling like 30 for $2 2 GPs ago but eh whatever.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Leyline of Sanctity is now a 20 dollar magic card on average.

It was pushing 30 a couple years ago so that doesn't seem crazy wrt its price history.

What are you bringing it in against these days? Ad Nauseum, Burn and Valakut?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 15, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

It was pushing 30 a couple years ago so that doesn't seem crazy wrt its price history.

What are you bringing it in against these days? Ad Nauseum and Burn?

C-Euro posted:

What are you bringing it in against these days? Ad Nauseum and Burn?

Its good against decks that are attempting to play 8+ discard spells maindeck. Its also a card that doesn't have a reasonable replacement.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Oh and laffo at tarfire prices too.

Man, glad I got that Duel Deck Anthology when it came out. I have 3 tarfire I didn't even know about!

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

InterrupterJones posted:

So yeah, Death's Shadow.

Abugames still has a few sets for cheap

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Modern Masters one is far cheaper to grab still.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Elyv posted:

I, for one, am finally glad to find a community where we all agree that arc-slogger is the greatest card ever

I unironically support this assertion. He was the MVP of homebrew mirrodin block deck that got me my best money finish ever.

I still dream of milling my deck EOT and casting beacon of destruction on upkeep. :allears:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

InterrupterJones posted:

So yeah, Death's Shadow.

I don't think it's happening anytime soon, but Wraith is the card I would expect them to ban to rein in the deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I don't think it's happening anytime soon, but Wraith is the card I would expect them to ban to rein in the deck.

I think wraith is fair as gently caress and would be idiotic to ban.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

I think wraith is fair as gently caress and would be idiotic to ban.

Something something free mechanics break Magic

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Alaan posted:

I was going to say. How many teachers have you met as an adult?

Most people aren't getting poo poo hammered at 10AM. Teachers or not. That being said he isn't drinking up a storm he is taking a sip of a rolling rock every time someone subscribes (and he has 11 subscribers), he isn't getting smashed.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I really love how many goofy-rear end cards Death's Shadow plays. Like, imagine going back in time two years and telling people that the top deck in Modern would be playing Death's Shadow, Street Wraith, Mishra's Bauble, Ghor-Clan Rampager, and Tarfire.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Lord of Hats posted:

I really love how many goofy-rear end cards Death's Shadow plays. Like, imagine going back in time two years and telling people that the top deck in Modern would be playing Death's Shadow, Street Wraith, Mishra's Bauble, Ghor-Clan Rampager, and Tarfire.

I think only Mishra's Bauble is the surprise. Tarfire has had a home in Legacy Goblins and Street Wraith a place in Dredge.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 15, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The Shortest Path posted:

Bitterblossom stuck at $25 despite seeing play in zero good decks, same with Baby Jace.

Archangel of Thune is still around 20 and is a relatively useless card since the pod ban, it's been steady for months.

It's a popular card in a popular tribe that sees fringe play in Chord decks. I'm not surprised at all its $20.

Archangel of Thune and Kalonian Hydra were expensive the entire time they were in Standard despite never being actively good in anything I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

Most people aren't getting poo poo hammered at 10AM.

If I don't have to work, I guess I am not like most people. Day drinking is the beeeeeest.

• Locked thread