Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

BotW drew me in in a way that MonHun has never quite managed to and I still can't really put my finger on why. I got 3 for the 3DS and probably put a couple hours into it but it just never clicked.

I put a ton of hours into MonHun, and quit before G rank or whatever high level rank thing is every time. I like the boss battles a lot but basically thats when the game feels grindy and I just completely lose interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Holyshoot posted:

Those are most likely pre-orders that morons havent picked up yet. Walmart holds pre-orders until April for some dumb reason.

A company holding preorders for people that preordered isn't dumb, it's what they are supposed to do. Walmart is actually doing the correct thing here.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

And that's why BOTW is maybe my favorite game of all time.
It doesn't really explain anything and expects you to experiment but things work the way you'd expect and sometimes in ways you wouldn't.

You never NEED shield surfing but goddamn is it fun.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tender Bender posted:

Monster Hunter isn't open world though, it's small separated levels that are basically arenas. Breath of the Wild isn't similar to Monster Hunter but it does take elements from it, mainly the gathering/crafting/preparation stuff, and use that to great effect.

However, if its world was filled with dinosaur dragons, Breath of the Wild would be exactly what I imagined Monster Hunter was when I watched the trailer and went out to buy Tri for the Wii.

It is a really dense series and as someone who loves it I wouldn't recommend it unless you're prepared to spend a good ten hours wrapping your head around the game's systems and controls and watching a bunch of YouTube guides.

Its not that dense. I jumped in at 4 and grocked it right away.

1. Dodging is super important you actually have to do it.

2. It matters where you hit stuff and with what sharpness.

3. Pick a weapon and watch a youtube explianing the moves. It will tell you your basic combo and when to use. If the video is too complicated try a simpler weapon. (switch axe for life)

Go to town. After 10 hours maybe real some guides and you will have frames of reference for what the he'll is going on.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That sounds like work. I play games after work.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

And that's why BOTW is maybe my favorite game of all time.
It doesn't really explain anything and expects you to experiment but things work the way you'd expect and sometimes in ways you wouldn't.

You never NEED shield surfing but goddamn is it fun.

It's a really well executed game, I don't want to get into specifics in this thread because even discovering systems and mechanics is fun and rewarding. In, say, Monster Hunter (which I still think is a bad comparison) I think it's a necessity to look up guides for all its systems, but in Breath of the Wild I don't think you should look up anything, because for some reason it actually feels rewarding to learn something by accident or from a random npc and realizing the answer to a question you've been wondering for hours.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I put a ton of hours into MonHun, and quit before G rank or whatever high level rank thing is every time. I like the boss battles a lot but basically thats when the game feels grindy and I just completely lose interest.

Me too. But at that point ive gotten well over 100+ hours out of it. I never feel the need or urge to 100% it if that's even possible. I just play for a long as time then am done.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

parallelodad posted:

That sounds like work. I play games after work.

Its about as dense to get in and understand as a dark Souls.

Not for everyone but its not an insane barrier.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rexroom posted:

https://twitter.com/nmspitzel/status/842044491024461824

Despite the price increase compared to the other ports, this one is in my list of 2017 anticipated games. Along with Puyo Puyo Tetris and Splatoon 2.

Its gonna be bad

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
ARMS when

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Neogeo games updated to fix sync issues

https://twitter.com/HAMSTER_Corp/status/841856789536620544

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Bloop posted:

That seems more about making fun of internet doofuses self-diagnosing than the real condition, so I'd say it's far less bad for a number of reasons (the actual group is less marginalized for example) but still not ideal.

It's still in the "bad" category for the same reason "retarded" is, though. It's not like that was in the DSMIV-TR or anything. Neither are most other slurs. It's about whether it harms people not a technical definition.

We should probably have a better word for what you're talking about, though. Grognard and Pedant don't always cover it.

Dude just look at the guys rap sheet or post history and put him on ignore. You're feeding the troll and had you never responded to him the last few pages would be free of this poo poo.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm looking forward to that as well. The portability will be a big factor in buying it on switch.

Some games are just better portable. Some are better on a tv.

Switch is both and its awesome.

yeah not to harp on this but my steam/3DS backlog is probably going to stay pretty untouched at this rate just because of how nice it is to just be able to get up and relax somewhere that's not "in front of a computer" all the time, but also have a decent sized screen instead of perpetually staring at a 6"x4" screen even on the "extra large" versions

nintendo accidentally ruined me, whoops

Bombadilillo posted:

Who fights mobs in monster Hunter? Unless you are grinding for a specific horn or something. Then 5 minutes later you grind for 5. Hours to get the real materials.

I'm actually having to grind in Zelda now. But I have to wait for the red moon to go to all the spots I found again.

someone who apparently didn't get far enough into the game to get to whatever part people love, which I guess is kind of the point

Kashuno posted:

I would love an open world monster hunter, if such a game existed.

honest question, what exactly defines "open world" for you

I mean to me any game that doesn't have "missions" that jump you from area to area where you can't go back is open world. Deus Ex is (mostly) open world, Dishonored is not. MH3 felt comparatively open in that regard, even if there were loading screens between subzones, but that felt like more of a system limitation than a game design preference.

but on the other hand the term "open world" is probably so definition-compromised that it's probably on par with "roguelike" in terms of "game genre terms that could mean literally anything at this point"

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Year 1 and you'll have
- New Zelda
- Mario Kart
- New Mario
- Splatoon 2 to a lesser extent
- A very nice indie catalogue

All leading up to the holiday season. It's gonna sell like hotcakes.
If they manage a Smash Bros port pre-christmas? Hoooooooo boy.
Lesser Extent?! Game sold as much as a Mario game. Get out of here with this ignorant garbage.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Monster Hunter is exclusively missions that jump you from, literally, a town to a different level. You can just walk around the level.

LethalGeek posted:

Lesser Extent?! Game sold as much as a Mario game. Get out of here with this ignorant garbage.

:yeah: Splatoon best shooter.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Rexroom posted:

https://twitter.com/nmspitzel/status/842044491024461824

Despite the price increase compared to the other ports, this one is in my list of 2017 anticipated games.

why?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

parallelodad posted:

Oh, if you have Bomberman, you can turn off that annoying dynamic camera. The game is so much better when you do. Should have been the default option.

Too bad it doesn't affect story mode

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

honest question, what exactly defines "open world" for you

I mean to me any game that doesn't have "missions" that jump you from area to area where you can't go back is open world. Deus Ex is (mostly) open world, Dishonored is not. MH3 felt comparatively open in that regard, even if there were loading screens between subzones, but that felt like more of a system limitation than a game design preference.

but on the other hand the term "open world" is probably so definition-compromised that it's probably on par with "roguelike" in terms of "game genre terms that could mean literally anything at this point"

Open world means generally there is more or less one large open world the game takes place in. You can call things whatever you like but people are generally going to be confused if you refer to stuff like Deus Ex as open world.

For an open world Monster Hunter, imagine breath of the wild but instead of goblin camps there's rathalos and tigrex.

Bombadilillo posted:

Its not that dense. I jumped in at 4 and grocked it right away.

1. Dodging is super important you actually have to do it.

2. It matters where you hit stuff and with what sharpness.

3. Pick a weapon and watch a youtube explianing the moves. It will tell you your basic combo and when to use. If the video is too complicated try a simpler weapon. (switch axe for life)

Go to town. After 10 hours maybe real some guides and you will have frames of reference for what the he'll is going on.

That's good to hear. I personally bounced off 3 twice before settling in and then really grabbing the series at 4.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

whaley posted:

Too bad it doesn't affect story mode

It did for me. The camera still zooms in and out, but it stopped doing the shaky thing where it pretends is a handheld.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

Fuggin foight me during Global Testfire scrubbo. I'll put youse in da fuggin ground :colbert:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I bought Metal Slug 3 and it seems fine. Doesn't look or sound weird. Tons of slowdown in certain scenarios, dunno if that's "faithful recreation" or just lovely porting. I'll have to try it in portable mode later, because I didn't really buy it to play on a huge TV.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Splatoon is good if only for making console FPS's controls better for comboing motion sensors and joystick for aiming.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Splatoon is amazing if you play all your games on a console that never gets any other competitive shooters.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

Open world means generally there is more or less one large open world the game takes place in. You can call things whatever you like but people are generally going to be confused if you refer to stuff like Deus Ex as open world.

:shrug:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

Splatoon is amazing if you play all your games on a console that never gets any other competitive shooters.

I play my games on PC :confused:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Splatoon is good

TheScott2K posted:

Splatoon is amazing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Splatoon is amazing if you like good games

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

Dude just look at the guys rap sheet or post history and put him on ignore. You're feeding the troll and had you never responded to him the last few pages would be free of this poo poo.

I've never once used ignore in all these years and arguing with assholes is more for the benefit of onlookers than assholes. It's good to shun bad behavior wherever you see it.

I'm off the soapbox about this for now, though.

Play games. Enjoy your Switch.

Zelda is good. Can't wait for Splatoon2!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If every FPS adopted Splatoon's aiming the genre would be better for it.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I didn't get a Wii U so I'm excited to play splatoon. Hopefully I can get in on the demo thing they are doing

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

To be fair you're also going to confuse people if you refer to it as a Transhumanist Inventory Management Adventure.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Deus Ex kind of exists in a gray area. The first one, like a lot of RPGs that predate the term "open world" gives you large areas that aren't necessarily linear, but are presented basically sequentially and the modern ones basically follow suit with a more robust hub world. If I were describing it to someone, I probably wouldn't call it an "open world" game because that connotes a bigass map covered in icons. That's not what Deus Ex, DXHR, or DXMD are really doing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I think Deus Ex is probably best described as a hub-and-spoke world game. Which honestly sounds dumb as hell, but apt.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

I think Deus Ex is probably best described as a hub-and-spoke world game. Which honestly sounds dumb as hell, but apt.

Or you could just call it what it is - an RPG

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

TheScott2K posted:

You are bad at video games

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TheScott2K posted:

Nah, I've tried first/third person shooters on PS4. They all suck the same huge dick thanks to aiming with an analog stick with no gyro support for fine tuning.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

TheScott2K posted:

Or you could just call it what it is - an RPG

Yep, an RPG, just like WoW or Morrowind or Mass Effect or Planescape Torment or Dark Souls or Divinity Original Sin!

Good thing we don't need to get more granularly descriptive than that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

whaley posted:

You are bad at video games

And he's completely right.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm excited to try splatoon test fire and see for myself. Wish it was now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Yep, an RPG, just like WoW or Morrowind or Mass Effect or Planescape Torment or Dark Souls or Divinity Original Sin!

Good thing we don't need to get more granularly descriptive than that.

There are more useful descriptors than sort-of applicable ones like "open world."

"First person RPG" does a lot more to explain what makes Deus Ex different from Ultima VII than "open world."

• Locked thread