Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

stingtwo posted:

2. Amazon are the only ones that would be willing to take on the debt.
You don't become one of the biggest companies in the world if your management paradigm is this

What exactly would they be paying for? The IP? Chris' Visiontm? SQ42s script? A team beaten into learned helplessness that has spent the last few years refactoring pipelines?

Amazon is going to fork at least a couple of hundred million US american buckaroos for this? :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Goobs posted:

who are you even?

apparently my official something awful forums posting credentials pass for the star citizen thread was lost in the mail because it doesn't exist

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

They were especially encouraged to "drink and be merry" near the end of the day. You see, the ensuing domestic violence was a bonus as it allowed the workers to vent their despair and frustration on someone weaker without ever questioning why it was that everyone lived their whole lives with literal starvation wages while the landowners lived in conspicuous luxury.

This sounds like modern Britain. Or Russia.

Goobs posted:

who are you even?

He's no close up of a cat, I'll tell you that.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
its so crazy how Apple is buying CIG out and star citizen will be made by ex-Rare developers.

here's a couple youtube video links because im an edgy queeflord:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xroagimY5Ys

https://www.youtube.com//watch?v=O4D81Kp6w2I

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Children, children, if you don't behave Fluffy Modem will come for you when you're asleep.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The Titanic posted:

I was there when he was sane.

People would be all: "Derek, I don't think your battlecruiser game is good."

And DS would be all: "Oh jolly good, spud! Why it does look like there are improvements I can make! Here's what I'll do to make my game better for you, dear concerned player!"

And then there was SA and it's never been the same since.

lmbo

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Goobs posted:

why are people still talking about amazon buying star citizen when the agent wrote in my opinion after he said that stuff? its like you all just ignored the fact that its bullshit just to theorycraft why its so bad. the thread is bad again.

Because in my opinion is code for "this is the truth and nothing but the truth". Just ask anybody at r/DS

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Hav posted:

He's no close up of a cat, I'll tell you that.

dont dox me

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

If that's true then finally, Tony Z can go and do something useful like making another Crusader game

Agreed. A new Crusader could be awesome, if they avoid the Syndicate trap...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Goobs posted:

why are people still talking about amazon buying star citizen when the agent wrote in my opinion after he said that stuff? its like you all just ignored the fact that its bullshit just to theorycraft why its so bad. the thread is bad again.

"in my opinion" is what one of the reddit idiots writes as protection after saying stuff he might get sued for. If you want any other thread jokes explained just hit me up via pm.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

so amazon is 100% their publisher now

welcome to the jungle, motherfuckers

I look forward to CIG viciously denying this for a year, banning anyone who mentions it, firing any employee who speaks of it on camera, only to announce it on stage at the next CitCon: "It was never a secret!"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Guess we will know if someone gets refunded with an Amazon gift card.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
If Amazon wanted their battered, dead eyed developers they'd just phone them up and ask them how they'd like a non-Chris job

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Goobs posted:

keep getting defensive over the dumbest poo poo on the internet, it looks reallll good on you.

:ironicat:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Has 'ol Dick Shart weighed in on this whole Amazon thing? Maybe he could write a blog about it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Goobs posted:

who are you even?

Are you the maga man or was that some other maga man

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

If Amazon wanted their battered, dead eyed developers they'd just phone them up and ask them how they'd like a non-Chris job

Yeah, but then you would have to treat them like decent human being, try to show you care and talk to them. Much easier to simply buy them in bulk along with the aircraft desks and the coffee machine.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D1E posted:

Has 'ol Dick Shart weighed in on this whole Amazon thing? Maybe he could write a blog about it.

I'll only read it if it's 100% guaranteed to bring about legal action.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Goobs posted:

its so crazy how Apple is buying CIG out and star citizen will be made by ex-Rare developers.

here's a couple youtube video links because im an edgy queeflord:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xroagimY5Ys

https://www.youtube.com//watch?v=O4D81Kp6w2I

Look you insufferable idiot, theagent's stated multiple times that every single statement he's ever made is made up bullshit so there's nothing separating this from his other stuff

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Number 1: There was no murder

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
like smed and roberts are having meetings but obviously it has nothing to do with amazon or cig its just two buds doing bud stuff

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Look you insufferable idiot, theagent's stated multiple times that every single statement he's ever made is made up bullshit so there's nothing separating this from his other stuff

:negative:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Oh if they gave smed purchasing power then I retract everything. He could do dumb poo poo i couldn't possibly imagine.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Speaking from experience here, If amazon did enter into an actual marketing partnership with CIG, no actual money (or very little) would ever change hands, even if they claim its a XXX million dollar partnership. What would likely happen is CIG promotes/advertises their usage of Amazon's engine and services, which they claim is worth XXX million dollars (or a few jpegs), and in turn, agree to exclusively use Amazon services for some period of time that equates to the same amount of money.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Goobs posted:

who are you even?

I'm the ghost of Smokey Joe, and he's the pro from Dover.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
They axed the salt 3.0 thread on RSI

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TrustmeImLegit posted:

2.7 confirmed

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Doesn't Lumberyard already require them to only use Amazon services though

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

afaik, it actually doesn't.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

No it doesn't at all.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TrustmeImLegit posted:

As in deleted or moved to concern?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Closed for "Offtopic"

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Oh if they gave smed purchasing power then I retract everything. He could do dumb poo poo i couldn't possibly imagine.

Oh my god that's right, they brought on Smed didn't they: http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/15/14628784/amazon-game-studios-john-smedley-san-diego

They must have a real "Thing" for developers who crowdfund projects and then gently caress over their obsessive superfan backers. Expect to see Molyneux signing up next, possibly Garriot? Let's just get them all in here.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

You don't become one of the biggest companies in the world if your management paradigm is this

What exactly would they be paying for? The IP? Chris' Visiontm? SQ42s script? A team beaten into learned helplessness that has spent the last few years refactoring pipelines?

Amazon is going to fork at least a couple of hundred million US american buckaroos for this? :cmon:

Like i said on the last page, if they were crazy enough to buy this corpse, they would pay next to nothing for this(and i'm talking in the 5 figures range here) maybe keep chris in the loving corner and pay him to say nice things just enough to keep the dumbasses happy . The way I see this from the prospective of a company basically trying to get a new division off the ground, see what crap is making the waves on media(good or bad) and try and use it to promote their engine/services and loving hope that works.

Remember, this is the same division that spent $70 million on an engine almost no developer touches.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

stingtwo posted:

Like i said on the last page, if they were crazy enough to buy this corpse, they would pay next to nothing for this(and i'm talking in the 5 figures range here) maybe keep chris in the loving corner and pay him to say nice things just enough to keep the dumbasses happy . The way I see this from the prospective of a company basically trying to get a new division off the ground, see what crap is making the waves on media(good or bad) and try and use it to promote their engine/services and loving hope that works.

Remember, this is the same division that spent $70 million on an engine almost no developer touches.

I mean, for Cry 4 and Cry 5, there are some new things coming out:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

now do the same for UnrealEngine and Unity

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

aleksendr posted:

Theory :

Amazon care nothing about SC, Crobblers & Co.

What they are after is the large pool (300+) of semi-talentend (some are probably very talented but yet unknow) people working in those 4+ studios. They see a art house pool that, if correctly managed, can pump out reskins and iteration of a basic open world game time and time again, like Ubisoft does for open world or EA for sports.

They are not in a partnership to enable SQ 42, they are in to get some of the entry level talent CIG has soaked up around the globe that will probably be in its "prime" (5+ years of experience but still able and willing to work 70h in a week) in a year or two.

Crobblers & co will sell and sail to the Islands on a money boat while the backers will have paid 30k to play "Assassin Citizen 42" mixed with "World of Star Squadron".

No, but CIG is getting more and more quiet these days and the thread has not a had a good leak in a while, so we amuse ourselves with mad ramblings. Those posts have as much value as things like milestones, deadlines and production timeline to CIG eyes.

Most open dev ever !

Maybe, but I still have problems with the idea that Amazon would, essentially, take on a 145+ million dollar liability for a product that has already been sold to the majority of customers that would buy it. Not to mention what it will take to get it to an MVP level that wouldn't crucify them on release.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Someone should really edit that Squadron 42 Release date to be TBA. I mean, I'm all for causing a ruckus, but that list is crap, purely for this topic. 1) SC isn't CryEngine 4, in fact wasn't there a huge derail that discussed the fact that CryEngine 4 never actually existed or some poo poo? and 2) Neither of those games have a release date, so why is there even a year posted for Squadron 42?

Just my 2 cents though

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

RandomNinja posted:

Someone should really edit that Squadron 42 Release date to be TBA. I mean, I'm all for causing a ruckus, but that list is crap, purely for this topic. 1) SC isn't CryEngine 4, in fact wasn't there a huge derail that discussed the fact that CryEngine 4 never actually existed or some poo poo? and 2) Neither of those games have a release date, so why is there even a year posted for Squadron 42?

Just my 2 cents though

lol, I also just noticed this for both SQ42 and SC

Platform(s)

Microsoft Windows, Linux

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ripptide posted:

Maybe, but I still have problems with the idea that Amazon would, essentially, take on a 145+ million dollar liability for a product that has already been sold to the majority of customers that would buy it. Not to mention what it will take to get it to an MVP level that wouldn't crucify them on release.

smed