Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

loquacius posted:

I think the main roadblock with the Jets is that there aren't any good cupcake flavors that are green

Mojito cupcakes are amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

im glad they leaked this just to give the jets that final kick in the nuts

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

"Congrats on being the off-season champions" isn't really as acerbic a zinger this year, for some reason.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

evilweasel posted:

im glad they leaked this just to give the jets that final kick in the nuts
I'm pretty sure they already knew. It looks like both the Jets and Steelers pulled their offers when he left.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/842067834125602817

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The pats can make literally any RB look amazingly good.

Remember Jonas Gray's 200 yard 4 touchdown game?

Bellicheck is a master at finding a niche use for a specific guy and exploiting that to an absurd degree. It doesn't require that the player actually be good at their position in a more general sense.
Counterpoint: Brandon Bolden

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'm pretty sure they already knew. It looks like both the Jets and Steelers pulled their offers when he left.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/842067834125602817

From what I read the Steelers didn't pull their offer when he left but threatened to if he got on a plane and left Pittsburg. Which is an odd thing to do considering phones have existed for a very long time so it didn't really do them any favors in preventing him from showing the offer to NE.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

From what I read the Steelers didn't pull their offer when he left but threatened to if he got on a plane and left Pittsburg. Which is an odd thing to do considering phones have existed for a very long time so it didn't really do them any favors in preventing him from showing the offer to NE.

We're in an age also where a player's career trajectory was altered for want of a fax machine, so I wouldn't be surprised by anything that comes out of the negotiating process.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Not that it will matter because the Patriots are just going to win another Super Bowl and we'll be treated to yet another offseason of think pieces of the genius of Belichick, but any other front office paying Gilmore and Hightower that much money would have been compared to the Dolphins, Redskins, or Dream Team Eagles by now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

I guess it depends if he wants Jamie Collins money or not.

https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/842050390115926018

This was SOOOOO stupid.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

fsif posted:

Not that it will matter because the Patriots are just going to win another Super Bowl and we'll be treated to yet another offseason of think pieces of the genius of Belichick, but any other front office paying Gilmore and Hightower that much money would have been compared to the Dolphins, Redskins, or Dream Team Eagles by now.

Hyped New England teams blow. It's the underdog squads you need to watch out for

With a squad this hyped I would be shocked if Bradys Achilles makes it through training camp

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Counterpoint: Brandon Bolden

Bolden has been a useful special team player who occasionally contributes in the running game and can catch passes.

In week 4, 2012, he rushed for 137 yards on 16 carries with an 11 yard reception and a touchdown, typical of how Bellichek uses his backup RBs; mostly as backups, but when he finds exactly the right matchup, he makes them look really good for one game.

Looks like he's still on the roster and unsurprisingly so. I'm not sure if he's a good counterpoint to the argument.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Blitz7x posted:

Hyped New England teams blow. It's the underdog squads you need to watch out for

With a squad this hyped I would be shocked if Bradys Achilles makes it through training camp

2007 was pretty hyped.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol seattle taking steps to keep feast mode in check

quote:

Lacy's deal with the Seahawks is worth up to $5.55 million, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. The contract includes $2.865 million fully guaranteed, plus an additional $2.685 million in bonuses tied to how often Lacy is active on game days, his weight and his total rushing yards.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

evilweasel posted:

2007 was pretty hyped.

2014 with Revis and (pre-career meltdown) Browner too.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

evilweasel posted:

2007 was pretty hyped.

I don't remember 2007 ever being that hyped up. There were people speculating that Moss was going to be cut or traded by the end of preseason - he spent the month of August nursing a hamstring injury and no one had really seen him play. Wes Welker was just a decent player, nothing special at the time. And no one really knew what Brady could do if you actually put him in a pass first offense and gave him great receivers.

I don't think the hype started until after the first couple of games when it became clear what Brady and Moss could do together. I remember they destroyed the Jets and Chargers, then spygate happened. And after that point the hype went crazy, with Belichick refusing to ever let off the gas.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I think it is pretty lovely of the Patriots to get the title of offseason champs when they are already the regular season champs. If they go 4-0 this preseason.... :argh:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

evilweasel posted:

2007 was pretty hyped.

Not blow, but just end up very unlucky

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/842066920182558729

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
AFC East step it the gently caress up

:colbert:

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I wouldn't worry too much about Brady going down. Jimmy G is in the exclusive club of players that 'cannot be traded for for the 1st and 12th pick in the draft club', according to 'sources'. NE will be fine.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm still seeing a lot of speculation pieces about how Jimmy to the Browns is "inevitable" because the Browns' best option atm is Osweiler and the Patriots don't have any draft picks left in round 1 or 2, but I still don't really believe it

That said even if Jimmy is traded NE will probably still be fine because Brissett did ok when his thumb was in one piece and the team is better now than it was then

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Michael Corleone posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about Brady going down. Jimmy G is in the exclusive club of players that 'cannot be traded for for the 1st and 12th pick in the draft club', according to 'sources'. NE will be fine.

Did the Browns actually offer that or is that just moronic NE hype?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

loquacius posted:

I'm still seeing a lot of speculation pieces about how Jimmy to the Browns is "inevitable" because the Browns' best option atm is Osweiler and the Patriots don't have any draft picks left in round 1 or 2, but I still don't really believe it

That said even if Jimmy is traded NE will probably still be fine because Brissett did ok when his thumb was in one piece and the team is better now than it was then

It's one thing for Brissett not to poo poo all over himself in the game he was thrown into by surprise and the other team had no tape on him or reason to even think he'd be playing, it's another to go deep in the playoffs once teams do get tape on you and can prepare against you.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Did the Browns actually offer that or is that just moronic NE hype?

No. The rumor is they offered the 12th but the Patriots now want 2 first round picks and/or the #1 pick and the Browns won't go there.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

evilweasel posted:

It's one thing for Brissett not to poo poo all over himself in the game he was thrown into by surprise and the other team had no tape on him or reason to even think he'd be playing, it's another to go deep in the playoffs once teams do get tape on you and can prepare against you.

Which Garrapolo hasn't shown either.

I think people are kidding themselves if they think that the Browns are trading any type of first for Jimmy. It doesn't mesh with anything this front office has done.

They have shown that they value cheap, controllable assets above all else, going so far as to paying a team money for one.

And now, all of a sudden, they are going to trade one of their most valuable assets AND pay a long-term contract to an unproven commodity when they could just keep the pick and save money with a different unknown commodity.

Nov 6, 2002

I will say this, I think the regime in Cleveland knows they need to show some progress, they can't have another 1 or 2 win season or they'll all be fired. I doubt they'll want to rely on Cody Kessler or Brock Osweiler to get them to the 4-5 win promised land. And none of the quarterback prospects look particularly promising, certainly not as guys who you can plug in right away. I think this really leaves the Browns in a tough position with an uninspiring list of free agent QB's or taking a gamble on a somewhat unknown commodity like Jimmy G.

Edit:

If you're Sashi and Hue would you rather hook your wagon to Jimmy G or one of these guys?

Colin Kaepernick
Jay Cutler
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Robert Griffin III
Chase Daniel
Josh McCown
Case Keenum
Shaun Hill
Matt McGloin
E.J. Manuel
Blaine Gabbert
Mark Sanchez
Geno Smith
Dan Orlovsky
Josh Johnson
Christian Ponder
Thaddeus Lewis
T.J. Yates
Kellen Moore
Ryan Nassib
David Fales
Bruce Gradkowski
Austin Davis
Charlie Whitehurst

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 15, 2017

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This is a super weak QB class, and as people said earlier in the context of Brandin Cooks, it's a better idea to have a young prospect who you at least know for sure can play on a professional level than a young prospect fresh out of college. I think the Browns could make worse decisions, but evilweasel has a point about Brissett :shrug:

e: I wouldn't trade #1 AND #12 for him though, maybe a first and a second but that feels like a lot too

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't understand why everyone in the NFL commentariat has the memory of a hermit crab when it comes to New England shopping around their backups.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/316725851733520385

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Finally things are turning up Patriots.

Unironically this!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

I don't understand why everyone in the NFL commentariat has the memory of a hermit crab when it comes to New England shopping around their backups.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/316725851733520385

Seriously. My presumption is that the most likely scenario is he gets traded off for the Matt Cassel package sometime around the draft.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Seriously. My presumption is that the most likely scenario is he gets traded off for the Matt Cassel package sometime around the draft.

I think he's shown more potential (by not showing as much!) than Cassel ever did. I don't think NE trades him for anything that isn't a low 1st or adds up to one.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I will say this, I think the regime in Cleveland knows they need to show some progress, they can't have another 1 or 2 win season or they'll all be fired. I doubt they'll want to rely on Cody Kessler or Brock Osweiler to get them to the 4-5 win promised land. And none of the quarterback prospects look particularly promising, certainly not as guys who you can plug in right away. I think this really leaves the Browns in a tough position with an uninspiring list of free agent QB's or taking a gamble on a somewhat unknown commodity like Jimmy G.

Edit:

If you're Sashi and Hue would you rather hook your wagon to Jimmy G or one of these guys?

Colin Kaepernick
Jay Cutler
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Robert Griffin III
Chase Daniel
Josh McCown
Case Keenum
Shaun Hill
Matt McGloin
E.J. Manuel
Blaine Gabbert
Mark Sanchez
Geno Smith
Dan Orlovsky
Josh Johnson
Christian Ponder
Thaddeus Lewis
T.J. Yates
Kellen Moore
Ryan Nassib
David Fales
Bruce Gradkowski
Austin Davis
Charlie Whitehurst
I would absolutely take Cutler over Garoppolo for a single season, even disregarding what you'd end up trading. Probably Kaep and Fitzpatrick as well.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think he's shown more potential (by not showing as much!) than Cassel ever did. I don't think NE trades him for anything that isn't a low 1st or adds up to one.

Yeah, I just don't think there's the market for him.

The Browns are clearly not a QB away, and look to be on a course like the Raiders, Bengals, 49ers and Vikings have/had done, which is to build a solid team, then plug in a QB when they get one. If not Jimmy, then a late 1st / early 2nd round guy, or one next year, they're on a long term plan still.

And aside from the Browns, who's even expressed interest? The 49ers are on last year's version of the Browns' plan, the Bears decided they'd rather spend on Glennon then spend draft capital, and the Jets wouldn't do it on principal. Even if Washington wants to continue cutting off their leg, I don't think their front office is even functional to decide or make the trades necessary for that to happen.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Cassel at least had an entire season's worth of material to work with. Garappolo could easily be Matt Flynn 2.0.

(Not that I disagree that with your point that NE won't trade him for less than a 1.)

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I just don't think there's the market for him.

The Browns are clearly not a QB away, and look to be on a course like the Raiders, Bengals, 49ers and Vikings have/had done, which is to build a solid team, then plug in a QB when they get one. If not Jimmy, then a late 1st / early 2nd round guy, or one next year, they're on a long term plan still.

And aside from the Browns, who's even expressed interest? The 49ers are on last year's version of the Browns' plan, the Bears decided they'd rather spend on Glennon then spend draft capital, and the Jets wouldn't do it on principal. Even if Washington wants to continue cutting off their leg, I don't think their front office is even functional to decide or make the trades necessary for that to happen.

I agree, there is not a huge market, I think it is literally one team at this point, the Browns and maybe the 49ers. But I think if the Browns were serious about one of the free agent options there would have been some chatter about that by now. They absolutely cannot go into the 2017 season with just Brock and Kody, for the aforementioned reasons (pink slips). So I think they are totally still in the Jimmy G market.

However at the same time, I think New England is willing to sit on him for another year to if they don't get what they want. Perhaps with a soon to be 40 year old at QB they value a little QB insurance more than they do a 2nd round pick.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
kodey

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Browns trading any firsts for Jimmy G would be as stupid as the Rams trading two drafts away for Jared Goff

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Michael Corleone posted:

agree w/ you that tom Brady is a system qb

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Browns absolutely can go into the season with Kessler and <____> at QB. Why would they be at risk of being fired if this is a nothing season? Everything they've done and indicated over the past two years was righting the ship through a long rebuilding process.

I also don't buy that the Patriots are even that high on Jimmy or see him as the future.

They spent a 3rd round pick on a QB in last year's draft afterall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Kalli posted:

They spent a 3rd round pick on a QB in last year's draft afterall.

Belichick knew at that point that he would need a 3rd QB for at least 4 games because of the Brady suspension and the best brains in football (Bill and Ernie) certainly planned for the eventuality that they want to trade Jimmy G after the season and that 2017 was a weak QB class, so they drafted their next backup QB, who won them a game.

Spending 2 first round picks for Jimmy G is just smart, as he has the same number of Super Bowl rings as Peyton Manning and twice as many as Aaron Rodgers.

• Locked thread