Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Man, where do you get the currency for this? Do you buy it? I struggle getting nearly that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Lockback posted:

Man, where do you get the currency for this? Do you buy it? I struggle getting nearly that much.

I'll never pay a penny on games like this past the sticker price on pure principle. My team isn't amazing or anything but everything is super cheap right now. You can get Rubies from the wingmen collection for 3k and Yao for like 10. Along with other cheap cards and reward cards it's next to nothing. The only thing I actually really get coins from are moments challenges. The Chinese new year ones paid out like 15k total. There's usually like 10k worth a week. It took me awhile to figure out who/what to buy since it's my 2nd year playing this, and I don't play much, but basically only buy cards that are out in current collections (they go dirttt cheap) or the moments card of a player that has a higher one after it's been out awhile. So, the wingmen collection is out now and that's cheap, and a card like Ruby westbrook is also cheap since he has an Amethyst now. Historic high rated cards and high rated cards from old collections go for a lot and should be avoided. That's pretty much it.

That being said 2k needs to change how they give players coins. They're incredibly stingy and don't really reward you for actually playing other humans online unless you play blacktop mode which (imo) absolutely sucks.

e- Just looked and the "all around" collection is out now which will drop heavily while it's out. Again there are rubies in there like Chris Webber that have 20 gold badges on them out of the gate and will cost nothing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I see the high-value moments challenges but typically the player costs as much as you get. Smart play buying up guys on current packs though. The cost of packs seem way out of line with what you get, but I guess that's other people's problems.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Lockback posted:

I see the high-value moments challenges but typically the player costs as much as you get. Smart play buying up guys on current packs though. The cost of packs seem way out of line with what you get, but I guess that's other people's problems.

The challenge is usually up for two days, sometimes longer. So you can buy the player the first day, complete the challenge and then sell him right back for the same price. The chinese new year challenges mostly had no requirements. The only one I remember was one required two rockets players on the team so I just got two bronze players for 300 coins and kept them benched.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea you just have to smartly play the auction both buying and selling and of course completing challenges and playing games to earn mt. I havent spent any real money at all and am running an all diamond/amethyst team

Patience is key on the auction when it comes to the moments challenge players. Even if you overpay you still come out on top flipping the player once the challenge is completed.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Seriously, who's brilliant idea was it to release a million Yao Ming's into the wild. If 2k can't properly balance centers/height in general they just flat out shouldn't release 7'4 + centers into the game, or at the very least make them extremely expensive. Only release anyone above 7'3 if they're an actual league player, problem solved, sort of. If you ever wanted to know what Yao Ming guarding Yao Ming would look like, hop on MTO.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I like MyCareer a lot more than last year, but I'm disappointed (and unsurprised) at the "your stats are way below what they should be given the narrative of your character, unless of course you pay us a bunch of money for VC" bit yet again.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I want to try proam mypark etc. and I'm really annoyed that they've basically made mycareer necessary to play those modes. Also I just saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WsGrHzReo4

start at 27 seconds.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CVagts posted:

I like MyCareer a lot more than last year, but I'm disappointed (and unsurprised) at the "your stats are way below what they should be given the narrative of your character, unless of course you pay us a bunch of money for VC" bit yet again.

The year you played the guy coming in mid-season on 10-day contracts was far and away the best narrative as well as the best mechanically for the first season.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Now that the Blazers have picks I thought I'd hop into Start Today and see what I could do. Nothing, cause the Blazers only have their own pick. Not protected Grizzlies' from the Plumlee trade or the Cavs'. Rosters are correct and Verajao's on the books though. What the heck 2k

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Lockback posted:

The year you played the guy coming in mid-season on 10-day contracts was far and away the best narrative as well as the best mechanically for the first season.

Eh i like being able to win mvp and roy though

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Seltzer posted:

I want to try proam mypark etc. and I'm really annoyed that they've basically made mycareer necessary to play those modes. Also I just saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WsGrHzReo4

start at 27 seconds.

I will never get tired of watching this and wondering how he reads and speaks like a deaf person

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

the_american_dream posted:

I will never get tired of watching this and wondering how he reads and speaks like a deaf person

If you think thats bad, you should see the ones we had to cut

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Why does this happen to me about 40% of the time I start MyCareer?

I just came from the main menu, you fuckers. Thanks for letting me sit through the 4 minute loading session twice. Where did this miraculous update come from? Sometimes it happens midway through a game and I get to see that overlay until the game ends. :thumbsup:

zelah posted:

I think it might have been a mistake, looking on twitter it sounds like Shaq calls you Freq at one point.
Can confirm this happened to me. To be fair, I look exactly like Freq.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I know it's early to get hyped for 2k18 but I really can't wait to play it on a Switch. MyLeague mode on the go is going to take up too much of my time. I wish subbing would go back to being done the same as in earlier versions like 2k9.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

The Glumslinger posted:

If you think thats bad, you should see the ones we had to cut

oh haha wow I assumed this was all done in one quick take in between practices are something

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Ether Frenzy posted:

Why does this happen to me about 40% of the time I start MyCareer?

I just came from the main menu, you fuckers. Thanks for letting me sit through the 4 minute loading session twice. Where did this miraculous update come from? Sometimes it happens midway through a game and I get to see that overlay until the game ends. :thumbsup:

Its downloading content updates, most frequently new rosters and clothes, so it takes a bit of time to download in the background, rather than force you to wait on the spinny screen everytime you boot the game. The reason why you get it so much is because we try to put out new rosters every day.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Why do players keep shooting stepback 3s when wide open instead just shooting still

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

The Glumslinger posted:

Its downloading content updates, most frequently new rosters and clothes, so it takes a bit of time to download in the background, rather than force you to wait on the spinny screen everytime you boot the game. The reason why you get it so much is because we try to put out new rosters every day.

Ok, that makes sense. I'd rather wait in the main menu while it does it though (or have it pushed to the game while my Xbox is in rest mode) because having to back out immediately after loading in is kind of aggravating if you just have time for 20 minutes of play/one game or whatever.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Spacebump posted:

I know it's early to get hyped for 2k18 but I really can't wait to play it on a Switch. MyLeague mode on the go is going to take up too much of my time.

I didn't even think about this. I've spent countless hours simming seasons only to start over once I won a few championships or players I liked retired. I would love to be able to waste that time on the go

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

zelah posted:

I didn't even think about this. I've spent countless hours simming seasons only to start over once I won a few championships or players I liked retired. I would love to be able to waste that time on the go

That mode on the go is half of why I plan on buying a Switch. the other half is because I love Nintendo games

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tae posted:

Why do players keep shooting stepback 3s when wide open instead just shooting still

Cause the 360 noscope takes too long

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Does anyone know how much Jordanbux you get (or are they Kobebux this year?) for dutifully doing all the chores in MyCareer practice such as

Hit a 3 in each basket
Hit a 3 from each corner
Hit 5 shots in a row
Hit 10 shots in a row
Make 5 layups
Make 5 dunks
Dunk in each basket
Make 5 shots in each basket
Dribble move before scoring

Which all pop a little banner saying there's some coin bonus, I do that list every practice and I actually tried to track how much I got last night and it appeared to be 0 but I'm not positive, if it's 0 I'm going to just go ahead and do the vertical jump practice twice and exit practice instead.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

A couple of us were gonna mess around with a fantasy draft later tonight if anyone wants to join. (gimme PSN)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Glumslinger, if you are ever in a room where they are discussing classic teams please push hard for the 2011 Mavs. (or as many past champions as possible.) I love running myLeague mode leagues with as lots of past champions. Also, if possible please try to pass around the idea to give users the option to dump players from Teams/Classic Teams not picked for myLeague into the free agent pool. Good luck with 2k18, I'm excited for it.

Edit: anyone else that plays myLeague/myGM mode ever encounter benchwarmers that haven't been signed for 10 or more years play one last season with your team? (then retire right after that)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I asked in the PS4 thread but does this year or any of the past few years have classi 90s teams and presentation modes? I think NBA 2k7 had it and that was the last one I played but I really want to play as a late 90s hornets team thanks

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

I asked in the PS4 thread but does this year or any of the past few years have classi 90s teams and presentation modes? I think NBA 2k7 had it and that was the last one I played but I really want to play as a late 90s hornets team thanks

This does have classic teams in it but doesn't have the classic presentation that was in the game a few years ago. Here is a list of classic teams. (Some teams might be missing players, if you want to check the rosters they can be found via google.)
1964-65 Boston Celtics
1964-65 Los Angeles Lakers
1970-71 Milwaukee Bucks
1970-71 Los Angeles Lakers
1970-71 Atlanta Hawks
1971-72 Los Angeles Lakers
1971-72 New York Knicks
1976-77 Philadelphia 76ers
1984-85 Milwaukee Bucks
1985-86 Chicago Bulls
1985-86 Boston Celtics
1985-86 Atlanta Hawks
1986-87 Los Angeles Lakers
1988-98 Detroit Pistons
1988-89 Chicago Bulls
1989-90 Cleveland Cavaliers
1990-91 Chicago Bulls
1990-91 Los Angeles Lakers
1990-91 Portland Trail Blazers
1990-91 Golden State Warriors
1992-93 Chicago Bulls
1992-93 Charlotte Hornets
1993-94 Denver Nuggets
1993-94 Houston Rockets
1994-95 New York Knicks
1994-95 Orlando Magic
1995-96 Chicago Bulls
1995-96 Seattle Supersonics
1997-98 Chicago Bulls
1997-98 Los Angeles Lakers
1997-98 Utah Jazz
1997-98 San Antonio Spurs
1999-00 Toronto Raptors
1999-00 Portland Trail Blazers
2000-01 Philadelphia 76ers
2000-01 Los Angeles Lakers
2002-03 Dallas Mavericks
2003-04 Detroit Pistons
2003-04 Minnesota Timberwolves
2004-05 Phoenix Suns
2005-06 Miami Heat
2006-07 Cleveland Cavaliers
2007-08 Boston Celtics
2007-08 Houston Rockets
2012-13 Miami Heat
2016 U.S. Olympic team
2016 Australia Olympic team
1992 Dream Team (need to unlock/dlc I think?)

You can also buy DLC of a few college team's all time teams. Didn't appeal to me very much but if a school you like is there, it might be worth getting. (The college players are ranked with college skill in mind, so college DWill is in the 90s etc)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm okay thanks I appreciate th list. Wish they had the presentation.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
2k12 is the one you want and probably my favourite ever

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome thanks. I think I actually have that one already on pc, I remember there was one you could nod and add college teams

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I bought this on sale for the playoffs. Scratches the itch. Playing MyPlayer. It's fun, but feels uh, real stingy with the points you to get to level up your my player though. I started the game as an SG sharpshooter, played for eight hours and got frustrated at feeling like I still shot threes worse than everyone except centers until I apparently spend 100000 upgrade points.

So I switched to playing a rim protecting center and now I put up 30/20 on the reg off of just layups and dunks. They're a lot harder to miss. I've been keeping it at 12 minute quarters cause I like feeling like I'm putting up real numbers (yes I'm weird) but might turn it down soon when the novelty wears off.

I should really stop mashing a for the ball though. Last game I played JV had a triple double with steals against me because I insisted on yelling for dumb entry passes whenever I thought I could get by him (never) and my teammates were happy to oblige and throw him the ball. Thanks for not counting as turnovers tho.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 17, 2017

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

attackmole posted:

I bought this on sale for the playoffs. Scratches the itch. Playing MyPlayer. It's fun, but feels uh, real stingy with the points you to get to level up your my player though. I started the game as an SG sharpshooter, played for eight hours and got frustrated at feeling like I still shot threes worse than everyone except centers until I apparently spend 100000 upgrade points.

So I switched to playing a rim protecting center and now I put up 30/20 on the reg off of just layups and dunks. They're a lot harder to miss. I've been keeping it at 12 minute quarters cause I like feeling like I'm putting up real numbers (yes I'm weird) but might turn it down soon when the novelty wears off.

I should really stop mashing a for the ball though. Last game I played JV had a triple double with steals against me because I insisted on yelling for dumb entry passes whenever I thought I could get by him (never) and my teammates were happy to oblige and throw him the ball. Thanks for not counting as turnovers tho.

If you haven't yet, switching your difficulty to HoF is awful for gimping your team's defensive ability, but will increase your VC income drastically.

Even more important is playing/poking at the mobile app. Although it's a giant timesink, completing the daily games and free-matching takes less than ten minutes and speeds up your leveling a bunch.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Anybody else having major issues with the game loading? I've been getting that Xbox error "it took too long to load" nonstop for like a month

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The game is a mess and the 30 dollars I paid was a ripoff

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hey Glumslinger - for next year, you should let people know that it'd be great if there was a 2 vs 2 court on MyPark that was standard possession rules (not "make it, take it"), it sucks having to play 3 vs 3 in order to get a regular game of basketball because that means most of the time (for my squad, anyway) we have to take a random clown who then proceeds to be terrible/actively throw the game for his buddies as they twink their way to glory.

Playing "make it take it" is awful because there is no way to prevent people with maxed 3 point shooting skills from hitting everything they take even with two hands in their face so the opportunity for games to end 21-0 when the actual skill/talent mismatch is minimal is way larger than it should be. I don't know how many games I've lost without our team ever even touching the ball despite being a 95 overall 6'9" slasher with everything purpled out and my 93 overall 3-point shooting little buddy, also purpled. Maybe there should be a rookie court for only, say, players under All Star level - so that the majority of new players don't get discouraged after losing 600 games in a row and advancing one half a level in Rep.

These guys were Superstar reps while my team has the default wave taunt.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Ether%20Frenzy/video/28987014

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

The Taxman posted:

If you haven't yet, switching your difficulty to HoF is awful for gimping your team's defensive ability, but will increase your VC income drastically.

Even more important is playing/poking at the mobile app. Although it's a giant timesink, completing the daily games and free-matching takes less than ten minutes and speeds up your leveling a bunch.

No way I'm playing a mobile game, I'm too old (spiritually) for that poo poo. Anyways my rim protecting center is off the ground now so I'm not feeling as grumpy about it. Upped the difficulty to all star after rattling off some dumb win streaks on the base difficulty so that's helped. Played 500 ball for a while and now I'm on a huge win streak again so it might be time to bump it up to superstar. I am playing on the Kings though, so my teammates need all the help they can get from the difficulty level.

Is there anywhere in MyCareer where you can see the league trades? I'm just coming up on February of my first year and I'm starting to see players diverge from the real rosters, so I'm hoping that there's somewhere where I can see all the trades that happened but I can't find it anywhere.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 24, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Hey, I just wanted to mention that if you have amazon prime, you can get free stuff in 2K17 tomorrow (or starting tomorrow, not super clear on how it works)

https://blog.twitch.tv/twitch-prime-members-get-in-game-loot-for-nba-2k17-1f0b093feffb

Free MyTeam pack and 75K vc

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey, I just wanted to mention that if you have amazon prime, you can get free stuff in 2K17 tomorrow (or starting tomorrow, not super clear on how it works)

https://blog.twitch.tv/twitch-prime-members-get-in-game-loot-for-nba-2k17-1f0b093feffb

Free MyTeam pack and 75K vc

here's a code for someone who can use it

WR27B-CCO71-AGIVZ-1WPPO-TTYV7

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I know there is no reason for it but I wish the next game would include a classic Bobcats team. Mainly so I could add another franchise to myLeague. ABA teams would be cool also but I imagine there is probably a good reason those haven't been added at this point. Does anyone else here sink most of their time playing into myLeague mode?

Anyone playing on PS4 (sadly not me) should check out this roster, it seems cool.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianm...y/#180363fe5f4d

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
this is a hell of a thing:

https://mic.com/articles/168273/nba-2k-e-league-5-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-e-sports-league#.Ikr0T0YKd

quote:

Early on Thursday morning, Take-Two Interactive and the National Basketball Association announced a new competitive gaming initiative and partnership.

NBA 2K eLeague is a new eSports league that will begin operation in 2018. The news has both the competitive gaming and sports worlds buzzing. Here are five key things you need to know about NBA 2K eLeague.

NBA 2K eLeague: It'll be played on NBA 2K18

Most fans of the NBA 2K series already have NBA 2K17. While it makes sense for those with aspirations of competing in this groundbreaking league to hone their 2K skills on the latest edition of the game, it's important to note, the competition doesn't begin until 2018.

There's almost no chance 2K Sports will want games to be contested on an older version. So we expect NBA 2K18 to be optimized for the competitive gaming platform that is being created.

NBA 2K eLeague: This is not a 1v1 competition

Many 2K fans prefer to play MyTEAM or Play Now Online where they control an entire team against another user who controls another squad. While that's a fun way to play, it's not the format for the NBA 2K eLeague.

"The founding teams, each composed of five professional eSports players who will play the game as user-created avatars, will be announced in the coming months," states the official press release.

Essentially, this equates to five MyPlayers — or 5v5 gameplay — which can be seen in 2K Pro-Am and MyPARK.

NBA 2K eLeague: The league is operated by the NBA

For the first time ever, an American sports league is operating an eSports league. That means real NBA franchises will run the teams.

The NBA's involvement in the project speaks to its faith in the future of eSports, and the strength of its partnership with Take-Two Interactive. The partnership also strengthens the chances of the business venture becoming a success. The NBA will undoubtedly have a vested interest, and therefore should provide as much commercial support and visibility as any other American eSports organization.

NBA 2K eLeague: Only expert players need to apply

Almost everyone who plays NBA 2K believes they're really good at the game. With just five spots (and potential alternates) available, membership in this organization is likely to be even more select than the real NBA.

If you're going to be in this league, you had better be more than just a neighborhood 2K giant. After all, it's a league that will be opened to players from around the world.

NBA 2K eLeague: This is a real job

This isn't a glorified exhibition of a hobby. This is going to be a real job for the players who are drafted and signed.

This means, there will be salaries, contracts, etc. All those parents who tell their kids gaming is a waste of time may have to reconsider their argument.

So PC players are definitely excluded from this. Hopefully this means better support for Pro-Am at least.

• Locked thread