Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

lol imagine looking at infinity and thinking "this looks good but it doesn't have that rich gw tang i so desire"

this is so many loving people

ugh, I know so many Carls it sucks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
The best part about the Necromunda thing: "Rules will be almost identical to the original." Because what I want in a new game is trash rules that should have been left back in the 90s.

Also, I think I figured out why GW is still in business. It's you. It's all of you who like the balldwarfs.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I'd be interested in seeing how GW sales break down between new players versus the middle-aged guys who've been playing and giving GW money for decades. because if they're getting most of their money from the latter that'd explain a lot of things

otoh I doubt GW actually knows the answer to that question

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I like the flying airboats but the balloon men and infantry are indiscernible messes. They might be better with an alternate paint scheme but I doubt it.

Thats my hot take, judging AoS releases one army at a time. Maybe one day they'll release something I like for AoS. The Sylvaneth were pretty ok i guess. Ok cya

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Moola posted:

this is so many loving people

ugh, I know so many Carls it sucks...

"i want to play a game but i need it to have ugly models and embarrassing lore!"

*gw fairy appears*

"'ave i got da game fuh you!"

*wisks them away to the dilapidated games workshop store but it's closed at 3pm on a saturday"

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Those dorfs are pretty dorky and I like that about them but they don't fit the BLOODGRIM theme AoS has. They are also covered in random poo poo that makes them look super busy but that is GW norm now. They would have been a candidate for just paint project if they weren't undoubtably ludicrously over priced.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Lotta rubes in this thread forgetting that you

:siren: DONT GIVE GW MONEY :siren:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I'd be interested in seeing how GW sales break down between new players versus the middle-aged guys who've been playing and giving GW money for decades. because if they're getting most of their money from the latter that'd explain a lot of things

otoh I doubt GW actually knows the answer to that question

I guarantee you that new players give GW the most money - all the guys I know that play GW games stopped spending money on them 10+ years ago because they either play defunct game systems or have everything they need for their armies. Most guys my age took a look at 40K's continuous escalation at some point and said "gently caress that poo poo."

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Avenging Dentist posted:

The best part about the Necromunda thing: "Rules will be almost identical to the original." Because what I want in a new game is trash rules that should have been left back in the 90s.

Hopefully they at least change how close combat works. I liked necrmunda a lot, but the combat phase was always a confusing mess

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I saw it yesterday, but what the gently caress *is* this gun circled in red. I can grok the other four guns, but I just don't get this one. It doesn't look good no matter its rules or intended weapon type.

I also still can't get over the balloons. They're metal balloons :psyduck:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

I saw it yesterday, but what the gently caress *is* this gun circled in red. I can grok the other four guns, but I just don't get this one. It doesn't look good no matter its rules or intended weapon type.

I assume the gem is a sight of some sort. Sniper blunderbuss.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

Terrain is plastic.

I imagine the Orks are the weaker side in the starter, like the Tau were the weaker side in Kill Team.

And yeah, odds are I'll immediately pull out painted Tactical marines or Mechanicus or Chaos or Genestealer Cults.

But for kids if the price point is low enough it is a great point of entry.

What insane company wouldn't include two evenly matched sides

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pyrolocutus posted:

I also still can't get over the balloons. They're metal balloons :psyduck:
I am operating on the theory that just like sigmarines, they were supposed to be painted like a different material.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
can't believe they went to all the effort of sculpting those dudes just to set up a "going down like a lead balloon" joke

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bombogenesis posted:

Dumb baloon Dorfs are neat and I may buy some when they get a starter box, but I have to wonder if GW is purposely making everything more overly-busy in some kind of attempt to get people to buy more paint. They obviously don't realize that it's intimidating to newcomers or the chronically lazy.

I think it's an attempt to foil recasters more than anything else. And terrible aesthetic sense.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think it's an attempt to foil recasters more than anything else.
It's not working.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Too real. That middle panel hits close to home. My poor dorfs :smith:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's not working.

I can confirm :china:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Museums recast dung all the time.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Pyrolocutus posted:

I saw it yesterday, but what the gently caress *is* this gun circled in red.
It's a dorf-panzerschreck.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I genuinely want to like this army but - gently caress it I'll crosspost

Rulebook Heavily posted:

i actually want to like this army but GW loving murdered it.

This is what steam technology looks like.

Simple shapes. Cubes, cylinders, funnels. The moving parts are all visible to the naked eye: you could look at a train like this and deduce how it worked just by looking at it, which is part of why steam technology fascinates people so much even today.

The cul-de-sac of the "steampunk aesthetic" follows this:

Top hat is a cylinder on a wave. A monocle is a simple clear circle. The pipe is of organic material, so it has a curve to it that culminates in a nice, simple, visually clear bowl.

Now look at this guy.

The most visually distinct shape is a ball, just barely, because it has obscuring poo poo on it. I couldn't tell that was a top hat until someone mentioned it, and you can forget recognizing the monocle immediately too. The mechanical parts - which is the ENTIRE MODEL, since no flesh or cloth is made visible - are in a kind of half-living state where you can tell it's detailed armor, but can't really tell where the technology is without searching for it.

GW failed to make a top hat and monocle look instantly recognizable and visually clear. They made it impossible to instantly spot a cylinder and a loving circle.

The only shapes GW didn't gently caress up are the guns, because even GW hasn't found a way to gently caress up a gun beyond recognition yet. Too bad that "Ball", "Circle" and "Cylinder that isn't a gun barrell" elude them

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The only shapes GW didn't gently caress up are the guns, because even GW hasn't found a way to gently caress up a gun beyond recognition yet.

One might argue that bolters come close.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
They aren't steampunk they use magical gasses or some poo poo.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

fine fine they're fartpunk same diff

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Was that the starter set that had a model on one side that the other side was literally incapable of harming in any way?

Third ed starter box with space marines and landspeeder vs dark eldar warriors with strength 3 splinter rifles.

Thirsty Dog posted:

What insane company wouldn't include two evenly matched sides

Try finding a 40k starter with even sides. There simply hasn't been one. Space Marines always have 20-30% more in points than whoever they are fighting, after all they are the hero faction. If the starters were equal and Chaos/Orks/Nids etc beat the snot out of marines 50% of the time then there'd be a lot fewer marine players.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

steam is gaseous

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

TKIY posted:

Isn't steam in their literal name?

Even if it wasn't the zeppelins and clockwork birds and top hats is clearly trying to ape steampunk

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bad Moon posted:

Isn't steam in their literal name?

Honestly I don't even know anymore. They are called something overlords but are they Steamhead Duardin or not?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Everything GW is making these days is way too busy, sometimes less is more guys.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

TKIY posted:

Honestly I don't even know anymore. They are called something overlords but are they Steamhead Duardin or not?

BEHOLD THE AGE OF SIGMAR

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bad Moon posted:

BEHOLD THE AGE OF SIGMAR

I have hope that the underworld game is better and it's also not branded with AoS.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Duterte motherfucker is back.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Still in that shirt after the last time? No way it's not either a political statement, masochism, or actual brain damage.
(he plays AoS, so it's probably the last reason)

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
They usually film two bat reps in one da and post the second a while later. Though it's not impossible he wore it twice

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I can't believe gw made Chester Balloonman

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Thundercloud posted:

Third ed starter box with space marines and landspeeder vs dark eldar warriors with strength 3 splinter rifles.

I think there was a splinter cannon on the sprue so you had at least a chance of bringing down the Armor 10 Speeder with a lucky glancing hit, but yeah that set was a pretty lousy value all things considered. I remember them talking about the terrain in it a lot too.

quote:

Try finding a 40k starter with even sides. There simply hasn't been one. Space Marines always have 20-30% more in points than whoever they are fighting, after all they are the hero faction. If the starters were equal and Chaos/Orks/Nids etc beat the snot out of marines 50% of the time then there'd be a lot fewer marine players.

Second edition should have been close. You had 20 marines against 20 orks and 40 gretchin, plus a card ork dreadnaught.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think there was a splinter cannon on the sprue so you had at least a chance of bringing down the Armor 10 Speeder with a lucky glancing hit, but yeah that set was a pretty lousy value all things considered. I remember them talking about the terrain in it a lot too.

Second edition should have been close. You had 20 marines against 20 orks and 40 gretchin, plus a card ork dreadnaught.

TFW u pick the dark eldar and thru the dice gods beat the redshirt running the demo game

https://media2.giphy.com/media/Zw3oBUuOlDJ3W/giphy.mp4

EDIT: incase this sounds smug as gently caress, it was just a fond memory of the dude saying 'this isn't meant to be happening' as my Deldar smacked his dudes up.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

For Marine players it was great.
For Dark Eldar players it was godawful.
I do have a terrible nostalgic soft spot for those plastic ruins though. The trees were flimsy and kinda crappy though. If they'd been a bit sturdier, I'd have been a bit happier with them.

The 2nd ed starter set really was fantastic value for money though. And it was a "proper" starter set, in that it gave you enough forces to properly start an army and play normal games. The card terrain wasn't too bad either, given the price point on that box at the time.

The starter sets since then seem to have gotten progressively worse (unless you're a space marine player).
Although Black Reach at least gave enough models to get a good start on either army, to a lesser or greater degree. Sadly it also gave us Sicarius, and Matt Ward got his claws into the Marine codex, so on balance it was still terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

mcjomar posted:

The starter sets since then seem to have gotten progressively worse (unless you're a space marine player).

The starter scenarios for AoS were set up so the Sigmarines would win and Chaos were practically an NPC chump faction. These were intended as actual scenarios, not just rules examples.

I get that letting the new guy win is good for demo games but the lopsided starter sets aren't a good way to go about this.

• Locked thread