Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I wasn't around for the last couple DLCs of ME3 multiplayer so I'm gonna ask here:

Did Bioware ever learn the difference between radius and diameter or is that still a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kurieg posted:

There's a couple of proper nouns that I have no context for, otherwise no.

I think they're merging shields and barriers together. As none of the biotic powers mention barriers, the biotic passive boosts shields, and you can upgrade some of the powers to work through shields.

I'm fine with that, honestly, I like that change.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DatonKallandor posted:

I wasn't around for the last couple DLCs of ME3 multiplayer so I'm gonna ask here:

Did Bioware ever learn the difference between radius and diameter or is that still a problem?

now that i think about it, i wonder if shockwave still craps out on wave 6

not that it was all that useful anyway but what an odd bug

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Went to download the soundtrack and it's not showing up in my EA account.

edit: never mind, EA support just told me I can't download it until the game is out.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 15, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cowcaster posted:

now that i think about it, i wonder if shockwave still craps out on wave 6

not that it was all that useful anyway but what an odd bug

Someone figured out why that was happening, but they couldn't figure out why it was set up to allow it to happen.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
Gamespot crew just talked about Andromeda on the lobby and pretty much trashed it, though all of them are still early in the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kurieg posted:

Someone figured out why that was happening, but they couldn't figure out why it was set up to allow it to happen.

This is something I missed back in the day. What exactly was the problem?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

marshmallow creep posted:

This is something I missed back in the day. What exactly was the problem?

i don't know the explanation but the problem was once you got past wave 6 in the multiplayer (the second "event wave") shockwave just literally turned off. you could press the button, your character would make the throwing animation, it caused the cooldown, but nothing came out. i think it might've only been when you took the radius upgrade for it, but it was definitely caused by wave 6.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It'll be weird playing ME3 multiplayer with actual balance and (hopefully) less bugs. Like a solid half the weapons are cool but worthless. Particularly some of the sniper rifles and smgs.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
It'd be cool if after this game you sent arks back to the original galaxy and see what's up

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How on earth would anything power related be affected by wave count? I only studied computer science in college and have never done any serious programming myself, but it seems to bizarre that there would be an interaction there.

RBA Starblade posted:

It'll be weird playing ME3 multiplayer with actual balance and (hopefully) less bugs. Like a solid half the weapons are cool but worthless. Particularly some of the sniper rifles and smgs.

SMGs and Sniper Rifles seem to be hard to balance in lots of games. I know in the Division SMGs for a long time (still?) were the go to for melting face, and Battlefield and sniper rifles are infamous.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK

Spacebump posted:

Went to download the soundtrack and it's not showing up in my EA account.

edit: never mind, EA support just told me I can't download it until the game is out.

It should work if you're on PC; for consoles you will need to launch the game so that the entitlements are written.
Once that's done, the soundtrack should download.

Other than that, I'd just confirm you're on the right account, via Account Check on the site, and the Settings/Online/EA Account UI in the game.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

How on earth would anything power related be affected by wave count? I only studied computer science in college and have never done any serious programming myself, but it seems to bizarre that there would be an interaction there.

if wavecount = 6 then power = lol

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

quote:

Ian Soon Frazier‏ @tibermoon
Ok, I checked it out. The #8 heads do have a slightly narrower range than head 1 or 3, due to the base texture. I'll see if patching is a possibility for that or not. We're looking at various CC patch possibilities now, so this can go on the list.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Shockwave was bugged and would stop working if you took one of the final upgrades, but it wasn't tied to any specific wave.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

The more options to make Ryder uglier the better. I want the end result to look like something out of a cautionary Aesop in a feudal Russian book of folktales.

Baba Ryder lives in a chicken-legged spaceship and eats naughty children who talk back to their elders.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SMGs and Sniper Rifles seem to be hard to balance in lots of games. I know in the Division SMGs for a long time (still?) were the go to for melting face, and Battlefield and sniper rifles are infamous.

Obviously wavenumber and energy are directly related. It is a fundamental property of radiation.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

One thing that seems to be a bit of a bummer is that it seems you can't be much of an rear end in a top hat/Renegade as Ryder like in the OT. But then again we've yet to see the Big Decisions you do in this game

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Honestly, the 4 "classes" of weapons in games (pistols, SMGs, shotguns, and rifles/long guns) make no sense to include. They either overlap or fill entirely different roles, and it's weird for a game to try to accommodate them all. Game fights are radically close quarters, so pistols and SMGs (which are just rof variants of the same gun) often hold their own against shotguns and rifles; so we have to make shotguns also good at close quarters but then balance that by making them insane garbage past five feet, and that leaves rifles for long distance, so we give them lots of range and damage but even in the future they are bolt action to maintain balance.

*Daisy Rider puts six bullets through the same hole on target*
"Gee, Daisy! You sure are swell!"
"Thank you kindly, Drack, but you ain't so bad ya'll-self!"
*Boss Kett seethes*
"As long as I'm the Cluster Commissioner in the great Galaxy of Andromeda, you two are gonna rot in the penitentiary. Cuff them!"

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

i don't know the explanation but the problem was once you got past wave 6 in the multiplayer (the second "event wave") shockwave just literally turned off. you could press the button, your character would make the throwing animation, it caused the cooldown, but nothing came out. i think it might've only been when you took the radius upgrade for it, but it was definitely caused by wave 6.
Not quite. You'd still get the shockwaves, they just wouldn't actually affect anything. It only happened with the radius upgrade, and only on the PC version.

I remember it could happen as early as wave 2, so it's not linked to wave. It's probably linked to usage, the more you use it the earlier it fucks up.

edit: I did some quick googling, and this guy thinks he knows what's up: http://bsn.boards.net/thread/1302/mass-effect-multiplayer-bug-list?page=1

"Despite being a sphere in visual, Shockwave actually uses a cone for hit detection so this evolution increases the angle of that cone. Only problem it, it increases the angle of the cone more and more every time you cast Shockwave so eventually the cone folds back in on itself and stops working. Since the math uses cosine at some point, you can actually get it working again by spamming Shockwave and it'll keep working and stop working periodically."

Sounds plausible.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

poisonpill posted:

*Daisy Rider puts six bullets through the same hole on target*
"Gee, Daisy! You sure are swell!"
"Thank you kindly, Drack, but you ain't so bad ya'll-self!"
*Boss Kett seethes*
"As long as I'm the Cluster Commissioner in the great Galaxy of Andromeda, you two are gonna rot in the penitentiary. Cuff them!"

when do we get our space western

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

Firefly?

WHEN DO WE GET THOSE DUKE BOYS IN SPACE

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I look forward to playing as a vanguard in Andromeda multiplayer and never putting a single point into shockwave once again.

RBA's Gone to the Rapture

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So energy drain and charge look good, now just what would be the other power for a vanguard? I'm thinking throw, lance, or singularity.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tooterfish posted:

Not quite. You'd still get the shockwaves, they just wouldn't actually affect anything. It only happened with the radius upgrade, and only on the PC version.

I remember it could happen as early as wave 2, so it's not linked to wave. It's probably linked to usage, the more you use it the earlier it fucks up.

edit: I did some quick googling, and this guy thinks he knows what's up: http://bsn.boards.net/thread/1302/mass-effect-multiplayer-bug-list?page=1

"Despite being a sphere in visual, Shockwave actually uses a cone for hit detection so this evolution increases the angle of that cone. Only problem it, it increases the angle of the cone more and more every time you cast Shockwave so eventually the cone folds back in on itself and stops working. Since the math uses cosine at some point, you can actually get it working again by spamming Shockwave and it'll keep working and stop working periodically."

Sounds plausible.

that doesn't explain everything though, like why if the glitch is caused by a bad formula would it be exclusive to the PC and not affect the consoles?

i want to say my wave 6 theory was based on an explanation i read back when i was actively playing the multiplayer, but since that was probably a good 3 or 4 years ago now and we've established i can't remember things correctly from as far back as yesterday it's likely i'm wrong

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

AriadneThread posted:

You play 16 games, what do ya get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Gaben don't call me cause I can't go
I owe my pay to the BioWare store

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Birudojin posted:

It should work if you're on PC; for consoles you will need to launch the game so that the entitlements are written.
Once that's done, the soundtrack should download.

Other than that, I'd just confirm you're on the right account, via Account Check on the site, and the Settings/Online/EA Account UI in the game.

I'm an Xboner, makes sense that it works for PC users already.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Hey guys sorry I'm late I was just in a meeting about how me and the team are supposed to use more emoticons when defending:airquote: bad face animation game 2017:airquote:. :mason: :roboluv: :shrug:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

when I see the 86% score on OpenCritic I'll know all my metabombing and forums shitposting about this game was Worth It, for the big fat check

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Am I alone in the feeling that the Asari are the least interesting alien species in ME, and that Peebee looks like she's going to be an irritating poo poo?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

khy posted:

Am I alone in the feeling that the Asari are the least interesting alien species in ME, and that Peebee looks like she's going to be an irritating poo poo?

Agree on the second point, and somewhat on the first. I think the "fast-thinking" salarians are the least interesting because they've had like 1500 years to advance technology and they haven't made their own mass relays yet.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

khy posted:

Yeah I never liked the asari. I haven't paid enough attention to tell whether peebee will be a fun character or not but that shrek raccoon face is enough for me to judge

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

khy posted:

You're just saying that because Asari are pretty much elves, Sera is fresh in our minds and PeeBee resembles her. Let's see if that ends up being vindicated!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

khy posted:

You're probably not alone but I think they are cool.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
where the gently caress are my elcor

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gamespot's The Lobby didn't like it much.
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/mass-effect-andromeda-ghost-recon-wildlands-our-fa/2300-6437694/

Starts around 43:00

They don't like the writing, characters, character creation, and the fact that there's a lot of hand holding in the opening hours.
They like the combat, driving, world design, and the skills.

Then again, the guy hating everything gave Fallout 4 a 9 out of 10. :downs:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

FunkMonkey posted:

You're just saying that because Asari are pretty much elves, Sera is fresh in our minds and PeeBee resembles her. Let's see if that ends up being vindicated!

Peebee, from everything I've seen, is an improved Sera. Same kinda character but they dialed it back some. That being said she at least has a personality. I watched the initial meet and greets with all the companions couldn't really tell you anything about what kind of characters they are. Except that Drack is a Krogan and is exactly like a Krogan.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

im gonna be bummed if this game turns out to genuinely not be good

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Peebee, from everything I've seen, is an improved Sera. Same kinda character but they dialed it back some. That being said she at least has a personality. I watched the initial meet and greets with all the companions couldn't really tell you anything about what kind of characters they are. Except that Drack is a Krogan and is exactly like a Krogan.

Only Peebee is an asari, so she has a whole host of lovely writing baggage attached to her that Sera doesn't. Sera just boils down to a black Republican who violently resists any suggestion that just maybe her backstory is a tad hosed up and she's not 100% right about absolutely everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Ainsley McTree posted:

im gonna be bummed if this game turns out to genuinely not be good

Condolences that your personal happiness depends on an entertainment product