Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

The only conclusion you could reasonably draw from this is that leftmost cards are people you are queued with though? If this were a thing, you'd know it because Silver & bronze players would scream & hoot when they got that sick left card, baby oh yeah!

No. Once we reached plat he switched to Sombra, one of his worse characters and either did not get a card or got the 3rd or last card.

Cards definitely mean more than medals. Well if they get the left most card in every match they're improving. They should be happy.

Idia fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Idia posted:

No. Once we reached plat he switched to Sombra, one of his worse characters and either did not get a card or got the 3rd or last card.

Cards definitely mean more than medals. Well if they get the left most card in every match they're improving. They should be happy.

Confirmation bias strikes again. You saw your good playing friend get the left card at sheer random a few times, which led you to start believing this was a thing. After that every time your friend got the left card you remembered it, because you thought it had some significance. You're seeing the best players get the leftmost card specifically because you're looking for it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Let me tell you about how this one time anecdotal evidence changed my perception of something definitively.

Also did you know that the shuffle function on my iPod is broken? It definitely plays some songs more often than others!

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

Confirmation bias strikes again. You saw your good playing friend get the left card at sheer random a few times, which led you to start believing this was a thing. After that every time your friend got the left card you remembered it, because you thought it had some significance. You're seeing the best players get the leftmost card specifically because you're looking for it.

No, it wasn't random. He got it game after game. It wasn't random. It was consistent until he picked Sombra and he never got the first card again. I also got the left most card time after time climbing from low silver to high silver in season 2, solo q.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Idia posted:

Cards don't mean anything but they are nice to get

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Montalvo posted:

Let me tell you about how this one time anecdotal evidence changed my perception of something definitively.

Also did you know that the shuffle function on my iPod is broken? It definitely plays some songs more often than others!

Don't make jokes about things like that, it is a serious problem! So serious that Spotify changed their truly random shuffle function to be less random. Confirmation bias is a bitch.
https://www.quora.com/Is-Spotifys-Shuffle-feature-truly-random/answer/Mattias-Petter-Johansson

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

okay someone review the stream where the guy carried from silver to diamond and see where his cards were

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

phthalocyanine posted:

Cards don't mean anything but they are nice to get

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
e: sorry double post, got really excited about cards

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Sometimes when I have a really dominate game (usually something silly like Torbjörn/Bastion against a bad team in mystery heroes), I'm thinking like okay NOW I actually carried this team and I expect to get the leftmost card and the leftmost card it is. Pretty sure there is a correlation.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I've never seen the MVP card on the right side and when I play with my friends who are much better than me they're almost always on the left side while I pop up on the right.

I know it is anecdotal but I have no reason not to believe the pattern I consistently notice is a real thing.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

This data is like when my Science Teacher roasted me for having all my numbers end in 0 or 5.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Bolivar posted:

Sometimes when I have a really dominate game (usually something silly like Torbjörn/Bastion against a bad team in mystery heroes), I'm thinking like okay NOW I actually carried this team and I expect to get the leftmost card and the leftmost card it is. Pretty sure there is a correlation.

Yeah I have noticed this too and think Idia is probably correct but I don't think blizzards algorithms are completely accurate because maybe that rein played well but I don't know if the damage he blocked was absolutely game changing here

You can really tell that someone carried a game when they get the only card, the truest metric

Montalvo posted:

e: sorry double post, got really excited about cards
It has been very nice to receive these cards ty

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Isn't the whole point of cards that they give equal representation to factors of the game that can't be directly compared? Who can say that healing done "carried" more than damage blocked. It would be hard to tell as a spectator of the game, let alone an algorithm. And if blizz did go through all the trouble of making that happen, they would for sure explicitly label the cards from best to worst.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

phthalocyanine posted:

You can really tell that someone carried a game when they get the only card, the truest metric

Oh this the best, I don't know how the gently caress but it's like..."ok I guess all the rest of us really sucked, including the winners"

Another fan favorite is four cards for the losing team.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 15, 2017

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

Isn't the whole point of cards that they give equal representation to factors of the game that can't be directly compared? Who can say that healing done "carried" more than damage blocked. It would be hard to tell as a spectator of the game, let alone an algorithm. And if blizz did go through all the trouble of making that happen, they would for sure explicitly label the cards from best to worst.

I dunno what the whole point of cards is except as a vanity to make four players feel good every match except when it backfires and you get cards for self healing as roadhog or objective time as tracer

But you do tend to see MVP and best kill streak cards on the left and enemies frozen on the right so shrug

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Unbelievably White posted:

I got a card, as Dva, for nearly 50 mechs destroyed. If some of them don't even represent good play, why order them?
I like these, the 'damage taken' one for Hog is also funny since it shows how much of an ult battery you were.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Except that taking damage feeds Hogs ult because Take A Breather charges it fast

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hog's ult generally isn't as good as the ults you're feeding

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
The fairest assumption might be that the game just records events/numbers that are spectacular in and of themselves, regardless of utility. If there's some internal 'point' system that rates awesomeness (possibly linked to potg), it could use that to order them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It could just be that the cards are generated in a particular order, and that the cards are displayed in the order that they're picked. For example, its perfectly plausible that the system would check for and assign things like MVP or best kill streak early, since those are things that people will pretty consistently want to see, while not picking poo poo like Enemies Frozen or Damage Taken until after high-priority cards have been assigned.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
My favorite thing is when there are less than 4 cards displayed, as it was just a boring garbage game with nothing exciting happening (or alot of character swapping leading to no damage/healing standouts). The other fun thing is when the losing team gets all the cards, when they dominate but somehow manage to lose the game.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
My favorite is when I get health recalled and I'm the only card on the team

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

It could just be that the cards are generated in a particular order, and that the cards are displayed in the order that they're picked. For example, its perfectly plausible that the system would check for and assign things like MVP or best kill streak early, since those are things that people will pretty consistently want to see, while not picking poo poo like Enemies Frozen or Damage Taken until after high-priority cards have been assigned.

This would make sense except I've seen healing cards jump around in every slot, sometimes being more left than kill streak cards

I'm gonna start keeping track of this for a while and see. I'm really curious about it now

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Enemies trapped

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Don't wanna add fire to the conspiracy, but most damage seems to never be the rightmost card. Most of the weird and strange ones tend to be on the far right.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I see MVP on the right all the time. Come at me scientists

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i have literally never heard of or thought about the order of the cards having any meaning whatsoever

who the heck started this, how bored are you

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i have literally never heard of or thought about the order of the cards having any meaning whatsoever

who the heck started this, how bored are you

Turns out that when a game doesn't give feedback that allows people to easily determine who the "best" player on their team is, they resort to all kinds of obsessive voodoo insanity in hopes of finding something, somewhere, that secretly announces who played the best.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The game already has a point system to decide the potg, it would take little effort to pick four people who gained the most points in specific ways and ranking them from highest to lowest.

The idea that whoever is on the left is the 'best' or that freezing people is more important than getting solo kills is crazy reductive but that wouldn't stop blizzard from doing it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Same. :brrring::hf::haw:

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Turns out that when a game doesn't give feedback that allows people to easily determine who the "best" player on their team is, they resort to all kinds of obsessive voodoo insanity in hopes of finding something, somewhere, that secretly announces who played the best.

I mean I know cards aren't useful for anything other than highlighting some specific stats in the game and giving people a chance for feelgoods

but now i really do wanna try and figure out if there's a pattern to the order they show up in. boredom is the first step towards discovery

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Boredom is the essence of discovery?

How good is Winston looking on the PTR? I've heard people saying he's great now, which is nice. I mean he'll never be top top tier as long as Reaper/Roadhog aren't nerfed to oblivion, but I like that my main is getting some upwind.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the only time winston hasn't been good is against 3-4 tanks

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean he'll never be top top tier as long as Reaper/Roadhog aren't nerfed to oblivion

This isn't really true though. Just the existence of a Reaper or a Roadhog on the other team isn't genuinely enough to prevent Winston from doing good work. If like half their team switches off to Reaper, Roadhog, and Zenyatta solely to gently caress with you then yes, you might have to switch, but "50% of the enemy teamcomp is devoted to ruining your poo poo" is something that applies equally to every character.

e; to put it another way the last significant dive meta had Winston as a cornerstone despite Hog 1.0 and Reaper existing in the game and Zenyatta even had 50% discord at the time but people still ran Winston all the time despite all of that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
winston has been top tier before and amongst pros where dive is super real atm he could be again with no changes to the game

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems like a huge buff to give to a hero who is already hovering around 30% pickrate in tournaments.

e: Winston's Lab has him on ~37% for the most recent patch.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It seems like a huge buff to give to a hero who is already hovering around 30% pickrate in tournaments.

e: Winston's Lab has him on ~37% for the most recent patch.

There've been periods where his pickrate has been way higher than that even. Try going back to like August-September of last year and I bet there'll be a jump.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

winston dropped off because of the tank meta but he was huge before that. especially in the early days where there were no hero limits and there'd be 2 of him on every koth map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ah yes, the days when some heroes had 200% pickrates.