Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Torrannor posted:

Sad that Varric was the weakest rogue, but still no reason to take Cole or even Sera over him.
Nope, Cole has a ton of really interesting party banters with pretty much every other party member because he can literally read their minds.

I do love Cassandra, though. She surprised me the most in terms of who I thought I was going to be boring before I played the game.

FunkMonkey posted:

Seconding the love for James and Dorian.
Thirding, this is the correct opinion.

e: To be more on topic, I think I am going to like Peebee the least, and Drack the most. I am skeptical about how interesting the human party members are going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Zore posted:

Sera had an interesting philosophy, but would have worked much better as a recurring antagonist for the Inquisitor. Her personality and ethos doesn't mesh with what you're doing at all and having her work self-destructively against you as you accumulate power could have been interesting as she turns the common people against you.

Like, she works perfectly in that role and not at all as a normal companion.

Agreed, an antagonist or unreliable ally would have been a much better role for her.

Also Cassandra was far and away the best of them all. She had a permanent spot in my group.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stroop There It Is posted:

Thirding, this is the correct opinion.

James would have been a good character if he hadn't been introduced in the series' grand finale. As it is, I completely ignore him when I play the game nowadays.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Cythereal posted:

James would have been a good character if he hadn't been introduced in the series' grand finale. As it is, I completely ignore him when I play the game nowadays.

They had to introduce James in the 3rd installment as a replacement for Grunt. Shoulda gone with a surly, rude, and bizarrely cruel Batarian companion imo.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Looks like giant bomb is gonna stream some Andromeda in an hour and a half.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

FunkMonkey posted:

The whole LOLsorandom part of Sera was tolerable, if obnoxious. It was the utterly irrational, self-destructive anarchist shtick that killed it for me. Sera is the only character in any RPG I have deliberately booted from the group, and I don't regret it. Not even Anders crossed that line.

The gently caress? Anders is a literal terrorist.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

DO IT TO IT posted:

Looks like giant bomb is gonna stream some Andromeda in an hour and a half.

Uh oh. From the podcast linked earlier, multiple of them weren't so hot on it.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Admiral Ray posted:

They had to introduce James in the 3rd installment as a replacement for Grunt. Shoulda gone with a surly, rude, and bizarrely cruel Batarian companion imo.
So... Zaeed, but Batarian?

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, that would've worked better, but I do think he's more interesting and fun than the people dismissing him as a "new to the series surrogate" imply.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Liam has a British accent and I will therefore use him. Cora i don't care about I don't think

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

So... Zaeed, but Batarian?

Yeah, that would've worked better, but I do think he's more interesting and fun than the people dismissing him as a "new to the series surrogate" imply.

Hell yeah. Or, gently caress, just Zaeed. Why the hell not.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nope, Cole has a ton of really interesting party banters with pretty much every other party member because he can literally read their minds.

I do love Cassandra, though. She surprised me the most in terms of who I thought I was going to be boring before I played the game.

I agree about the party banter, but he was never really interesting in the missions itself. Even the one time where he really should have shined, going into the Fade at Adamant, he was just kinda freaked out. It doesn't help that you absolutely want to have Varric with you when you go to Adamant.

And Cassandra being the best character surprised me as well, she didn't look very interesting in DA2 or the Inquisition promotion material. So even though some of the squadmates in Adromeda may look boring now, I'm still giving them the benefit of doubt until I can see more of them in-game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

WanderingKid posted:

A lot of Bioware companions are literal terrorists or worse tbf.

Like Zaeed, Morinth, Ya Zhen, Thane, Miranda...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Admiral Ray posted:

I don't think 3 needed a new companion at all. That's my problem with James: he's a good character introduced a game or two too late for me to care. Cortez and Traynor suffer from the same problem in my opinion, though it's somewhat excusable for Traynor since a part of her character and her dynamic with Shepard is that she's the new girl who knows she's new and isn't a hardened veteran like the rest of the cast.

James, I think could work if he was optional and introduced as "You got Ashley/Kaidan/Grunt/Wrex/Jacob all killed? Here's a replacement soldier to help with the heavy lifting." Garrus and Tali do the "Shepard's protege" role better. Garrus, Javik, and Ashley do the rough and tumble badass role better. James is just pointless and redundant for me.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
looking at the MEA page in origin client and the standard edition can no longer be selected, not fishy at all

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

"So these guys cloned for a guddamn special project. I thought, "why the hell not?". Turns out that I was the one put into one of them freezers, got bit drat chilly and now they tell me we are in a guddamned new galaxy. But the main question is: is that a loving batarian over there and why in the poo poo they let one of them fucks into this guddamn arkship?"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Martout posted:

looking at the MEA page in origin client and the standard edition can no longer be selected, not fishy at all

I can on mine. Restart it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Martout posted:

It absolutely can. I am looking at it right now.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

WanderingKid posted:

Oh he still got the boot after the big climax because hahaha I wasn't keeping him around in place of what's his face. I was immensely gratified to hear the "where are they now" thing from Varric regarding him. I'm talking about having the option to keep them without consequence or sacrifice vs booting them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FunkMonkey posted:

Oh he still got the boot after the big climax because hahaha I wasn't keeping him around in place of what's his face. I was immensely gratified to hear the "where are they now" thing from Varric regarding him. I'm talking about having the option to keep them without consequence or sacrifice vs booting them.

I enjoy going max rivalry with Anders, siding with the templars, and sparing him. Anders shows up, a broken empty husk of a man to fight at your side and try to make things right.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Digging the Insurgent, actually.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

marshmallow creep posted:

The Infiltrator's head is photoshopped, right? There's no way it is actually that big.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Booting him and then rejecting his attempt to come back after siding with the mages was one of the most satisfying moments in the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

Well...there is one good reason :smith:

although i guess if we're talking about ME3 he was alive for that so yeah why not

Martout posted:

Someone else was complaining that they couldn't select the standard edition too, i guess maybe it's a weird bug?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At least Anders actually is your only healer if you don't play a mage (until you maybe get your sister into your party), so there's at least one reason to keep him around.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

khy posted:

I never got into Dragon Age much so I didn't even know who Sera was until I googled her.

I dunno, the Asari in the first 3 games weren't all that interesting. I always loved the Krogan, Salarians, Turians, Geth... I kind of wish there was a little more variation in the aliens and more 'alien' aliens. Too many bipedal, bimanual races and not enough like the Hanar, or the Rachni, and the like. But that's more of a general gripe about sci-fi as a whole, too many humanoid aliens.

hey its almost like bioware became a poo poo company with no imagination

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tiny rider is going to look asbolutely miniscule next to jaal if that's how big angarans are

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

That's a huge Angara.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

tiny rider is going to look asbolutely miniscule next to jaal if that's how big angarans are

Jaal just keeps him in his pocket for emergencies. Just, literally.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Torrannor posted:

At least Anders actually is your only healer if you don't play a mage (until you maybe get your sister into your party), so there's at least one reason to keep him around.

Merrill has healing spells I think too? or was healing locked behind one of the specializations? I can't remember how DA2 worked

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Torrannor posted:

Sure there is. gently caress that whole city. I'm glad he blew up the Chantry and I wish it was a bigger explosion. He was a hero with a cool ponytail.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
and now it's back, origin is such an excellent piece of software!

trial download and that should open in about half an hour yeah?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm watching the stream of the MP and I really love how maneuverable everything looks. I was never good at getting out of touch situations in ME3 so I'm hoping with how fast everything is I'll be able to stay safer.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ainsley McTree posted:

Merrill has healing spells I think too? or was healing locked behind one of the specializations? I can't remember how DA2 worked

She has the normal healing spells, not the Spirit Healing specialization that lets you revive etc.

Which is more than enough with potions for DA2.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I only care about the multiplayer, is the multiplayer fun/similar to ME3? How much are the loot boxes?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Well...there is one good reason :smith:

although i guess if we're talking about ME3 he was alive for that so yeah why not

Someone else was complaining that they couldn't select the standard edition too, i guess maybe it's a weird bug?

f o l l o w t h e m o n e y

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's my fetish

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i think for my first playthrough i'm gonna use drack and jaal after that introducing drack video was like "drack misunderstanding jaal, jaal misunderstanding drack"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cythereal posted:

Sera's also weird because she claims to be an anarchist revolutionary, but everything she supports is going back to the status quo - she outright tells you that she doesn't want to change anything, why would she? She wants things to go back to the way they were before, when they made sense to her.

Despite all the monkeycheese "let's murder everyone who acts the slightest bit superior to anyone else," Sera's the most hardcore conservative member of Inquisition's cast. Even Vivienne approves of some changes (that personally benefit her).

Yeah. It always annoyed me that she's basically screaming "SMASH THE STAATTEEEE" but she's 100% okay with humans loving over elves at every opportunity because elves suck despite the fact that the people who are in power got to be in power by crawling on the backs of the elvish slave caste.

And that the whole debate about the elvish pantheon basically amounts to her arguing the technicality that they weren't gods therefore they're full of poo poo, despite the fact that they were so ludicrously powerful that the difference was moot, and that there's demonstrable proof that they actually existed.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so origin access starts tomorrow right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

So wait, there is an alien species that looks like a cat, and it's not the alien species named Kett? :confused: