Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Zoe posted:

I'm still not completely clear on what's going on but I feel like we've been way too trusting of the guy in the robot suit and I wonder how much of that was based on 'well he's a guy whose face we can't see with a really convenient story of amnesia, OF COURSE he's not a bad guy that would be too obvious!'

I mean killing Dio is one thing, everybody wants to do that, but whatever other shenanigans he's been up to here nearly killed Phi and Sigma, and I'm just not sure of the extent of his planning here or if there may be goals beyond loving everyone over so he can escape.

Just need to point out, these shenanigans did kill Sigma. As of this cliffhanger Siggy is dying with no way out, since there was only enough antidote for one person and he gave it to Phi.

If K is responsible, which seems likely, then he's also killed himself with this plan. What the gently caress is he playing at? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fixed the audio links.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think "why didn't you inject yourself?" "Huh, that never occurred to me." is one of my favorite moments of the game just because it's a good character definition. Even if it was accidental forgetting in the heat of the moment, Sigma cares about helping other people. Dio, for example, would never forget that he needed the cure too.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea, it's not even a 'You first', it just never even occur to him to put himself above someone else's well-being.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Alacron posted:

Just need to point out, these shenanigans did kill Sigma. As of this cliffhanger Siggy is dying with no way out, since there was only enough antidote for one person and he gave it to Phi.

If K is responsible, which seems likely, then he's also killed himself with this plan. What the gently caress is he playing at? :psyduck:

It's very likely that it also killed Clover and Tenmyouji. As far as we're aware, no one made it through the doors, and it's looking pretty drat unlikely we'll ever find out if they did. If this whole thing was K's doing, he just succeeded in killing everyone but Phi and Quark.

I think he's got the second highest (non-self-inflicted) killcount at this point.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Sigma and Phi went right from the lounge with K to the treatment center and then right back. I find it improbable that K could strip out of his armor in the short time between Sigma leaving and returning, make a noise and head straight to the treatment center with Sigma and Phi following right behind, deprive Dio of air for the 3-4 minutes needed to kill him, then beat them back to the lounge and put the armor back on before they headed immediately back. Plus if he did that, why is he still here? If K has Quark's bracelet and a way to get his bracelet off, why didn't he just leave like he always does when he betrays to reach 9 BP?

I am still assuming that K's bracelet is attached to his arm like the others, and armor is over top of it. I guess that's wrong? But if that bracelet K presented as Dio's was actually K, it beats me how he got it off, because it looks like the others. When S and P found K in the lounge, his bracelet spot had the white ring like it was when Sigma left the lounge with K in it, so it was there on his arm.

Where was the update where K's armor gets examined? I re-read the first early updates and don't recall seeing it there.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Sigma and Phi went right from the lounge with K to the treatment center and then right back. I find it improbable that K could strip out of his armor in the short time between Sigma leaving and returning, make a noise and head straight to the treatment center with Sigma and Phi following right behind, deprive Dio of air for the 3-4 minutes needed to kill him, then beat them back to the lounge and put the armor back on before they headed immediately back. Plus if he did that, why is he still here? If K has Quark's bracelet and a way to get his bracelet off, why didn't he just leave like he always does when he betrays to reach 9 BP?

I am still assuming that K's bracelet is attached to his arm like the others, and armor is over top of it. I guess that's wrong? But if that bracelet K presented as Dio's was actually K, it beats me how he got it off, because it looks like the others. When S and P found K in the lounge, his bracelet spot had the white ring like it was when Sigma left the lounge with K in it, so it was there on his arm.

Where was the update where K's armor gets examined? I re-read the first early updates and don't recall seeing it there.

K's bracelet IS attached to his arm, so that's why he didn't leave. K's armor was examined after the first AB game.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
This is a zero escape game, so absurd pseudoscience babble is always a possible explanation.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Added Space posted:

This is a zero escape game, so absurd pseudoscience babble is always a possible explanation.

Only if it's been previously discussed and had attention given to it. 999 was full of conversations relating to morphogenetic field theory in some fashion, so when the big twist happened, it made sense (within the setting, anyway). Zero Escape has a mostly consistent internal logic. It gets amended each game in some way, as the writers decide to try out new ideas, but at no point within any of the three games does anything happen that breaks the "rules" of the fictional reality they've defined for the player. Just because it draws on pseudoscience and conspiracy theories to build its framework, doesn't mean anything goes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

whitehelm posted:

K's bracelet IS attached to his arm, so that's why he didn't leave. K's armor was examined after the first AB game.

That's what I thought. In which case, K couldn't take his bracelet off anymore than anyone else could, even if his armor came off. So I'm not sure what the hell is going on then. If K's bracelet is still on, than he's just as dead as Sigma and Phi, which I think rules him out. That leaves Clover as the killer (Ten would take Quark and leave even if he died too), but Dio still had the anti-toxin, so how would Clover survive?

EDIT: One more oddity - we needed to unlock a plot lock to get here, but we don't seem to have found something useful for another plot lock, and it doesn't look like Sigma's got much time left to discover anything except K's face. I guess that will help somehow elsewhere?

EclecticTastes posted:

Only if it's been previously discussed and had attention given to it. 999 was full of conversations relating to morphogenetic field theory in some fashion, so when the big twist happened, it made sense (within the setting, anyway). Zero Escape has a mostly consistent internal logic. It gets amended each game in some way, as the writers decide to try out new ideas, but at no point within any of the three games does anything happen that breaks the "rules" of the fictional reality they've defined for the player. Just because it draws on pseudoscience and conspiracy theories to build its framework, doesn't mean anything goes.

I disagree with that about the first game. It's not at all a consistent, logical leap to go from people can subtly communicate with other people at a distance to people can subtly communicate with each other several years in the future (in an alternate timeline... which can't exist because you are alive there and are dying here).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 16, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. What are we supposed to be noticing? Someone got out of K and left the shell here?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Glazius posted:

Huh. What are we supposed to be noticing? Someone got out of K and left the shell here?

The fact that his armor's been unlocked actually. Which begs the question: when was it unlocked?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

K is actually just a sentient protoplasmic lifeform poured into a humanoid container. It's child's play for him to exit and reenter his suit!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

I disagree with that about the first game. It's not at all a consistent, logical leap to go from people can subtly communicate with other people at a distance to people can subtly communicate with each other several years in the future (in an alternate timeline... which can't exist because you are alive there and are dying here).

I'll admit that I'm allowing a little leeway for it having been the first game of the series, but keep in mind all the notions about morphogenetic field theory brought up during the game. It was explained that having a powerful esper in a group would cause them to get a signal boost from the other espers around them, and young Akane was in a facility filled with other espers. Now, they did make a small leap in explaining that Akane was, in fact, the most powerful esper on record, but that's not exactly an unreasonable leap to make. Less reasonable is the assertion that she can both send and receive, an idea that was never explored before that reveal. I'll also grant that "sharing info with extratemporal versions of yourself" is also a little out there, but Lotus' discussion of people-as-monitors had introduced the concept of human consciousness existing in something analogous to The Cloud, a concept central to VLR, not to mention the asides about Ice-9 and Glycerin implying that information can be shared in a way that transcends the human mind. Not the most cleanly-polished plot point, certainly not on the level of its sequels, but some hints are there.

As for the timeline shenanigans, the many-worlds interpretation guarantees an arbitrarily high number of universes in which Akane survives, so she looked into them and found the precise sequence of events that would ensure her survival in that moment. She would then recreate that exact sequence of events based on her visions in either a predestination or ontological paradox. However, in failure timelines of 999, Junpei's inability to solve the mystery the right way results in the paradox breaking, causing Akane to Marty McFly out of existence (or, the director alternately proposed, IIRC, she just feigns illness and bails, her plan a failure and her alternate past self doomed). In the interpretation of events in which Akane stops existing as soon as Junpei fails to save her, she can only exist at all due to Schoedinger's Box. It's unclear if he'll make it to the incinerator or unlock the sudoku console right up until a certain point, and that's where Akane vanishes and the timeline ends. Now, the reason the timeline is able to exist is because once Akane saw it, she was able to plan to recreate it, which means it will exist. Think the entire scene at the police station from Bill and Ted, where they plan to do some time shenanigans later on, and their effects occur immediately (DC's Legends of Tomorrow recently did this with George Lucas, as well). This interpretation of temporal mechanics holds intent as equal in value to action. As long as someone will do something, its effects on the timeline are already implemented. The person won't later blow off fulfilling their end of the paradox, because if they did that, then the initial effects would not have manifested.

EDIT: Oh, as an addendum, obviously, for the Bill and Ted style of doing things before you do them, it needs to be something you're actually capable of doing in the first place.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 16, 2017

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I seem to recall in the Safe Ending (I think) the sequence goes "Akane falls over ill/Jumpy freaks, turns away/Jumpy turns back, Akane is gone, Jumpy can't figure out how the hell that happened". So yeah, she was almost certainly Marty McFlying.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

I seem to recall in the Safe Ending (I think) the sequence goes "Akane falls over ill/Jumpy freaks, turns away/Jumpy turns back, Akane is gone, Jumpy can't figure out how the hell that happened". So yeah, she was almost certainly Marty McFlying.

I still maintain that that was Akane deciding "well, this is a complete failure, I'm out", faking illness and sneaking through a side door when Junpei's back was turned.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

I still maintain that that was Akane deciding "well, this is a complete failure, I'm out", faking illness and sneaking through a side door when Junpei's back was turned.

The director's "answers" column for 999 includes his statement that both are of equal truth value. Effectively, his answer to all ambiguity is "if I didn't explicitly say what happened, assume that any reasonably possible theory is as true as any other". I'd link the Answers, but I wouldn't want to risk someone accidentally stumbling into the corresponding answers columns for VLR or ZTD.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So Akane is a ninja. Neat.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So Akane is a ninja. Neat.

Schroedinger's ninja, in fact. She only has, or doesn't have, ninja skills when the situation is such that they become necessary. :pseudo:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also the ability to apparently dial up fevers on demand, since Jumpy moans and groans that she's burning up.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

DeathChicken posted:

Also the ability to apparently dial up fevers on demand, since Jumpy moans and groans that she's burning up.

He was more right than he knew.

Naerylan
Feb 17, 2011
I've had this tab open faithfully for many, many months and then all of a sudden HOLY gently caress TEN NEW PAGES.

Of course it would stop at a cliffhanger. Of course it would. Thanks universe. Multiverse, whatever.

Great to see we're rolling forward again. Can't wait to see the ending.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

He was more right than he knew.
Not gonna lie, I was blown over by how loving clever that twist was. "Mysterious soap opera love interest disease"? Nah. You hosed up, son.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Materant posted:

It's very likely that it also killed Clover and Tenmyouji. As far as we're aware, no one made it through the doors, and it's looking pretty drat unlikely we'll ever find out if they did. If this whole thing was K's doing, he just succeeded in killing everyone but Phi and Quark.

I think he's got the second highest (non-self-inflicted) killcount at this point.

It's kind of weird how little Tenmyouji matters in this game. The only time he's on the path to victory is when Sigma groups up with him three times in a row. Otherwise after the first round he's there to worry about Quark, be the 'hey if you Betray then this dude dies' person, or just dies whenever he spends too much time with Clover.

He's made a couple interesting calls (like convincing Clover to Ally so that he could get Quark to 9 points), and him socking Dio will never not be satisfying, but he's not really that interesting of a character other than 'oh hey he might be Junpei'.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Assuming Tenmyouji is Junpei...

Fedule posted:

I'm not bluffing, goddamnit!
You hear me!? I'll do it!

Oh, I'm sure you will.
But there's really something I should tell you...

See, that detonator you're holding...
...It's a fake.

Junpei, back in 999 posted:

...he hasn't lost his touch with age. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Materant posted:

It's very likely that it also killed Clover and Tenmyouji.

Well, keep in mind that this isn't exactly the first time those two have gone missing suddenly.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, keep in mind that this isn't exactly the first time those two have gone missing suddenly.

Wasn't that on an adjacent path?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I admit, I'm not sure of how the 'K has been able to get out of the suit' factors into things, but I do have a few thoughts on why he would kill everyone (correct me if you believe I am mistaken):
1. He loved Old Lady/Akane/Whoever.
2. He did not really like his dad/Zero/Santa/Snake/Whoever (not for long stretches of time).
3. He reacted badly to realizing the role Akane would have to play, and opposed the plan due to the amount of sacrifice required on both a personal and greater scale.
4. He has expressed a tendency to focus on the present rather than hypothetical futures (wrong universe/multiverse here, bud).
5. Every time he escaped outside, he did not have his memories or any of the knowledge he regained this route.
6. This route has little knowledge of the state of the outside world.

All put together, in this theory of mine, he has just realized that Akane is dead, her sacrifice having gone off without a hitch and that he has been obediently running around according to his father's will like a well programmed robot. In short, he has failed to stop his step-mother's suicide but he can still stop his father's game. If he knew of the outside world, perhaps he might reconsider, but as far as he knows if he can cut this off right now he stops the 'sacrifice'. And if he can stop it, then that's all he can bring himself to care about right now. After all, he was never one for 'proposed futures'.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

The Nonary Games - Coming to Steam March 24.

• Two spine-tingling Nonary Games
    Zero welcomes you to take part in both the Nonary Game and the Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition as the award-winning escape-the-room visual novels Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (999) and its sequel, Virtue’s Last Reward (VLR), are together for the first time.
  • A remastered and revamped Nine Hours
    The well-received classic Nintendo DS game 999 has been updated with hi-res graphics and a variety of new features including both Japanese and English voice acting!
  • Seek a way out
    Search for clues within numerous locked rooms and solve mind-bending puzzles in order to escape. VLR even has two difficulty settings for more of a challenge.
  • Fascinating theories and pseudo science ideas abound along the twisting, turning journey to uncover who Zero is, why everyone was kidnapped, and the shocking connection between the Nonary Games.

Just wanted to remind everyone that this released today, with a price of $45.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

whitehelm posted:

Just wanted to remind everyone that this released today, with a price of $45.

Those monsters, look what they did.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This is an atrocity

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I am okay with this. The horror?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
How dare they.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sever

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
At last. At last!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I donno, I think it's fine.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Pre-order cancelled.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Book 'em, Donno.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
literally unplayable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
fjghdkm,/;fghd

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 25, 2017

• Locked thread