Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

From religious leftist Kareem Abdul-Jabbar:

"For civilized societies, the absence of reason and compassion is the very definition of pure evil because it is a rejection of our sacred values, distilled from millennia of struggle."

"The audience’s willing suspension of disbelief is great for poorly written horror films, but when government tries to promote it to the American people, us buying into it would be social suicide. We can’t suspend our rational minds while a schlockmeister-in-chief turns our foreign policy into the tacky Plan 9 From Outer Space. The only way Trump can make a ban like this work, since it is so egregiously unconstitutional, is to convince the people that there is no legitimate source of truth except his administration. Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway describes the president’s first week of extensive lying as "alternate facts" and, in a Fox interview, even used references that compared Trump to Jesus. Trump strategist Steve Bannon has called the media “the opposition party.” They are trying to convince the public that no one has the moral integrity to judge what they say or do. Just like the royalty of old that Americans fought to get away from, they rule through God’s grace and so are infallible. Just ask them."

-------
full editorial
Notice he's using explicitly non-religious arguments there. He hilariously calls values "sacred" but then profanes them by attributing their value to the fact that they were struggled for, in the real world, by real people, with real motivations. He of course knows that if he tried to use religious arguments to forward his viewpoints, he'd have no leg to stand on because he'd be entering the realm of fantasy and thus his opinion would be no more worthwhile than someone who wants to ban Muslims based on some other religious screed. Again, the main takeaway is that you can be either religious or a relatively sane participant in a worldly political system, not both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Why can't things be sacred if they were struggled for? That isn't self evident.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
The left in America (such as it is...) fails precisely because it isn't hostile to religion. It's part of the same overarching problem of course, which is that the left in America is practically toothless, unsurprising given the history of oppression that continues here. Or you could say that the American left is not hostile enough, just in general. We want to hold ourselves to some kind of higher standard, which is noble, but there are lives at stake here and we can't afford to allow our better impulses to forgive the forces that are destroying us. The agents of capital aren't going to stop, and any kind of sane take on the principle of self-defense would empower a whole lot of direct action against fascism, all of which is being ignored because we can't even find the strength of will to deny a systematically illiberal belief system which is at odds with the very foundation of what is supposed to be a deliberative and representative government. There's no more time for "well, I disagree with you, but you have a right to your opinion" when pollution is going to kill all human life on this planet within several generations thanks to our vaunted philosophical generosity and inaction against people who are one of two things: deliberately misusing the religious arguments they purport to believe in (which makes them liars, but at least smart) or bringing the ceiling down around us based on a genuine belief in some kind of otherworldly power (which makes them criminally dangerous and insane). I hope your horses are high enough to keep you and your family above the coming floodwaters.

zh1 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 14, 2017

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

The Kingfish posted:

Why can't things be sacred if they were struggled for? That isn't self evident.

What is your definition of sacred? It seemed like he was trying to argue from a religious perspective. If he wasn't then he's smarter than I gave him credit for.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

zh1 posted:

What Happens When a Irresistible Frickin' Force Meets a Unmoveable Mothershitting Object, Science? Your Move, Butt-Turd.
Impossible to test for, so it is inconsequential.

Next!

zh1 posted:

What is your definition of sacred? It seemed like he was trying to argue from a religious perspective. If he wasn't then he's smarter than I gave him credit for.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sacred

quote:

Definition of sacred
a : dedicated or set apart for the service or worship of a deity a tree sacred to the gods
b : devoted exclusively to one service or use (as of a person or purpose) a fund sacred to charity
a : worthy of religious veneration : holy
b : entitled to reverence and respect
: of or relating to religion : not secular or profane sacred music
archaic : accursed
a : unassailable, inviolable
b : highly valued and important a sacred responsibility
Oh look, 5 of the 8 definitions of sacred are actually secular.

Like, say, we could use the holocaust as an example. It's secular in nature, it's provable. People suffered, people died, and now it is held up as something which we need to continue to remember. It is, inherently a sacred piece of history - if an "accursed" one.

Or we could go the patriotic route, and just point out that the US flag - literally a piece of cloth is widely considered to be sacred. People struggled and died for the flag, so people tend to get upset when you toss it on the ground and burn it.

And Kareem-Abdul Jabbar is smart as gently caress. the fact that you just made a series of broad assumptions about him without knowing anything about him, well, that speaks more to your intelligence and wisdom than his. I mean he didn't train with Bruce Lee on a lark, he wsa pretty serious back then as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kareem_Abdul-Jabbar#Writing_and_activism

Most of his list of writings are not about sports either, dude.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 14, 2017

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Oh man.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Bolocko posted:

Is it possible for one's emotions and intuition to be poisoned — as by, for example, addiction, depression, disease, or social pressure —so that this moral framework cannot be validly constructed?

Absolutely. It's more than that. We have to cultivate our innate sense of the good in order to be human. It's a process and it's not always an easy one. Lack of cultivation or a perverted development can and do result in deeply dysfunctional morals.

Religion in general seems very bad at providing this cultivation since absence of religion seems to result in more fully realized humans. That's a broad category and I'm sure there are some exceptions. But you don't find meaningful exceptions when dealing with Christianity in the United States, as a specific. It's a broken institution resulting in broken, terrifying people who actively seek to do evil.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

noted broken, terrifying person MLK Jr

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bolocko posted:

Is it possible for one's emotions and intuition to be poisoned — as by, for example, addiction, depression, disease, or social pressure —so that this moral framework cannot be validly constructed?
High cortisol (stress indicator) levels have been repeatedly proven to put human beings into a state where they basically make hand-to-mouth decisions. Like on "Black Jeopardy" when they ask the question about the employer putting $40 out of their paycheck into a 401k and the woman is like "gimme my fuckin' money I wanna buy some goddamned scratch-its!" because it's easier to believe that you will get a windfall from a scratch-it, than it is to believe you can save enough money to live on after retiring, when you're that poor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7VaXlMvAvk&t=76s

I worked in a psych research institution for a decade, and a lot of their studies involve measuring stress indicators in disadvantaged kids and/or their families. Stress makes you fat, it makes you choose poor decisions in the short-term instead of wise ones in the long-term, and it also leads people to abuse alcohol, drugs, their spouses, their children..

It's not really that people on drugs or booze or with a gambling problem slowly slip into moral turpitude, it's more that by the time they become dependant on whatever substance or vice they prefer, they've been reduced to a huge id, their super-ego has eroded away between the bad choices and the self-destructive thoughts they tend to have whenever they slip into a hole again, and their ego is playing traffic cop on flying stress neurons, instead of morality cop on their behavior.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Calibanibal posted:

He says terrifying to certain people.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Calibanibal posted:

I've clearly made exceptions for minority Churches.

It wasn't MLK's faith that drove the Civil Rights movement.

American Black Liberation has had Christians, Muslims, and atheists all fight for it while finding ground. It's almost like religion doesn't actually matter in this case! Because it doesn't.

Edit: Like, do you not get what I'm saying?

As a moral litmus test all I'm asking is "Does it produce reactionaries?" Trying to "got'cha" me with Black Churches clearly misses the point.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 15, 2017

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i do hereby unilaterally declare the bad, reactionary religious people to be THE EXCEPTION and thus officially bring this very good thread to a close, on pg 24. thanks for coming ya'll

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

I've clearly made exceptions for minority Churches.

It wasn't MLK's faith that drove the Civil Rights movement.

American Black Liberation has had Christians, Muslims, and atheists all fight for it while finding ground. It's almost like religion doesn't actually matter in this case! Because it doesn't.

Edit: Like, do you not get what I'm saying?

As a moral litmus test all I'm asking is "Does it produce reactionaries?" Trying to "got'cha" me with Black Churches clearly misses the point.

That's an....exceptionally bold claim to make, considering he was the Reverend MLK Jr. You're doing that weird thing where you hold religion responsible for everything bad associated with it, but try to explain away all the good things associated with religion.

I'm not even saying your overall antipathy to religion is unfounded, but making claims like the above does you no good in establishing credibility for your position.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
And Malcolm X and Farrakhan were Muslims. Bobby Seale and Huey Newton were atheists.

Yet they all actively viewed each other as being part of the same movement.

It's almost like religion doesn't matter.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

A big flaming stink posted:

That's an....exceptionally bold claim to make, considering he was the Reverend MLK Jr.

Holy poo poo guys!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

zh1 posted:

Holy poo poo guys!

Thanks for that.

It's like internet warlord going, "THIS sick BURN will CLEANSE the opposition!11111"

A big flaming stink, it's not like you are illuminating some new truth. You are trying to re-purpose old truths to serve old masters.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
This forum is deader than the real Christ after 3 days stinking up that loving cave or whatever, what do you expect? For years now this place has been a punchline, and it's no surprise, everyone decent has been banned by the worthless mod/admin team.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Uh He Was The CHRIST you Guys, He was a Undeniable Religiousulilty MAN who Did a Fing...Now You Gonna Tell Me Other poo poo?? For OTHER REASON? What the fucka you fucka you gonna fucka you gonna fucka a hrer er ermmmennn....*Mashes d&d post button like a BAUS*

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

zh1 posted:

Uh He Was The CHRIST you Guys, He was a Undeniable Religiousulilty MAN who Did a Fing...Now You Gonna Tell Me Other poo poo?? For OTHER REASON? What the fucka you fucka you gonna fucka you gonna fucka a hrer er ermmmennn....*Mashes d&d post button like a BAUS*

This is a good post and would have been a great post once upon a time.

But the modern shitposter has grown and developed.

Tier 1, ZH1, is make sure you have someone buy an avatar and redtext for you. That is what makes you real.

But, take my advice, D&D posters are p jaded. You need to spread your wings and fly to get the 'tard 'tar. I know you can do it.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
don't even. my first red text tar was in 2002 or something and it called me the "jerry farwell" (sic) of the left. i've been clowning on these insects since before you were a...sainted prelife in your mother's ovum-potentiate, which carried you as surely as adam carried eve's whatever in his rib, for whatever or something...see atheists, this is just as good as whatever you did with your keyboards. i am d&d 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
now you are ready for lf thirdworldism

*slowclap*

*insert obligatory 13 (600+) year old anime girl being empowered here8

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
lf, a terrible forum but the closest sa ever got to greatness

look at it now

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You know what, zh1, I like you!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

coyo7e posted:

Like on "Black Jeopardy"

You have got to be loving kidding me.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You have got to be loving kidding me.
You haven't seen the skit? It's pretty great. They way everybody keeps going, "...okay..." to every other statement out of Tom Hanks is :allears:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

High cortisol (stress indicator) levels have been repeatedly proven to put human beings into a state where they basically make hand-to-mouth decisions
Not disagreeing with the actual point, but how consistent is the evidence for the causal role (of cortisol in itself on decision making) here? I googled this and the first two studies I found were:
http://www.pnas.org/content/111/9/3608.full.pdf
"we raised cortisol levels in volunteers ... and found that participants became more risk-averse"

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep11206
"cortisol ... shifted investment towards riskier assets"

I don't know this field, I just know that on similar topics (neuromodulator effects on behavior), everything is super complicated and nothing ever replicates. So maybe you know of a systematic meta-analysis.

Shbobdb posted:

You know what, zh1, I like you!

zh1 posted:

look at it now
Have you considered having this terrible discussion over PMs?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Crossposting from another thread because it's about a (former?) leftist's take on religion:

NikkolasKing posted:

Yep, a favorite quote of mine from him. He was always consistent in championing the rights of women.

I went on a binge of Hitchens videos a few months back. I used to brush him off as just an rear end in a top hat but he had a lot of ideas I agree with, even if I'm nowhere near as convinced as he is in the lack of a God. Although it was a video of his that left me with a nagging question. Basically, where was God during all of prehistory? Why did He/She/It only reveal themselves a relatively short while ago? I know I should care more about the origin of the human race but my very limited knowledge of it comes from scattered YouTube lectures and the book version of 2001. Basically we existed in a very primitive, nightmarish existence for far longer than civilization has been around. For tens of thousands of years this went on with no apparent divine revelation or anything.

I don't understand it. Buddha and Jesus seem so long ago but they might as well have been yesterday compared to the span of human history and suffering.
There are different ways to defend against this charge. A lot of people would claim human beings are naturally religious in just the right ways; if you just leave them alone, they will respect their parents, have sex in the right way, not worship false gods and devils, and so on. The poisoning of the mind that leads people into damnation-worthy behavior is only introduced into the world with the start of civilization (e.g., original sin), so these people would largely be saved. Any suffering in this world is inconsequential to the blessings of the afterlife, so if at all, these people were the lucky ones. If you care about how well they do in this world in the sense of how joyful their lives were, you're already coming from the wrong paradigm: you're assuming joy is good! It's not, says the religious person. The good life is the life lived according to the rules of God.
The Quran has a few passages where people ask Mohammed to show them miracles, and he, frustrated, points at the heavens and goes: at night it is dark so you can sleep, but there are still stars so you can maneuver at sea. The rain falls to nourish the crops. The mighty winds roar. To those whose hearts aren't closed already, these are clear signs.
(This works better if you assume salvation depends on doing good deeds and avoiding sinful ones, ignoring good deeds like pilgrimage to mecca. Doesn't work so well if you're a Lutheran I guess.)

However, I think the strongest, most consistent response a religious person can bring to this is to simply point to God's incomprehensibility. It doesn't seem just to you. Well, your mind is not the arbiter of justice. God's mind, however, is.

So the fundamental incompatibility here is that leftism typically values, often above all others, the material well-being of the many. Joy in this world. Not starving to death. Not seeing your children die before you. I think if you accept that this is of tremendous importance, not all religion becomes impossible for you, but a lot, maybe even most, do.
(This is I think somewhat different, although related, to the theodizee.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Crossposting from another thread because it's about a (former?) leftist's take on religion:

There are different ways to defend against this charge. A lot of people would claim human beings are naturally religious in just the right ways; if you just leave them alone, they will respect their parents, have sex in the right way, not worship false gods and devils, and so on. The poisoning of the mind that leads people into damnation-worthy behavior is only introduced into the world with the start of civilization (e.g., original sin), so these people would largely be saved. Any suffering in this world is inconsequential to the blessings of the afterlife, so if at all, these people were the lucky ones. If you care about how well they do in this world in the sense of how joyful their lives were, you're already coming from the wrong paradigm: you're assuming joy is good! It's not, says the religious person. The good life is the life lived according to the rules of God.
The Quran has a few passages where people ask Mohammed to show them miracles, and he, frustrated, points at the heavens and goes: at night it is dark so you can sleep, but there are still stars so you can maneuver at sea. The rain falls to nourish the crops. The mighty winds roar. To those whose hearts aren't closed already, these are clear signs.
(This works better if you assume salvation depends on doing good deeds and avoiding sinful ones, ignoring good deeds like pilgrimage to mecca. Doesn't work so well if you're a Lutheran I guess.)

However, I think the strongest, most consistent response a religious person can bring to this is to simply point to God's incomprehensibility. It doesn't seem just to you. Well, your mind is not the arbiter of justice. God's mind, however, is.

So the fundamental incompatibility here is that leftism typically values, often above all others, the material well-being of the many. Joy in this world. Not starving to death. Not seeing your children die before you. I think if you accept that this is of tremendous importance, not all religion becomes impossible for you, but a lot, maybe even most, do.

A very intriguing response, thank you.

I have the utmost respect for people who can do this. To have such unwavering, unbreakable faith is a virtue I have never been able to possess, which is part of why I'm agnostic. If a monk or nun or priest can give everything in this life to pursue enlightenment or salvation or whatever, that is amazing and commendable.

But my "Leftist sensibilities" hold me back, as well as well as various personality flaws.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

as well as well as various personality flaws.

:same:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

zh1 posted:

look at it now

but was it sacred?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Cingulate posted:

So what does this incomprehensibility have to offer? The original argument was that religion 1) Provided a moral framework 2) provided community and 3) Is hedonic. Now it's "religion is weird and incomprehensible and at odds with life as lived." What does religion have to offer?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Michael Jackson posted:

but was it sacred?

"LF: The Secular as Sacred" by SA poster Humphrey Fingerbanger is a very short, almost pamphlet sized text. Despite that, it's had a profound impact on how we contextualize LF and almost all discussions about LF, excepting those purely focused on historical aspects of the school, will reference it in some way.

"With superb faithfulness to the site, Fingerbanger discerns the deepest meaning of the thought of LF and, paradoxically, its application to our own time. This is another beautiful book from one of our most perceptive thinkers." -- Robot In Shallah

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A big flaming stink posted:

would it be gauche to point out that the scientific method is literally based on an article of faith?

The difference being where scientists say "We don't know that yet" and demand evidence versus faith that just says "God did it, and don't question it" :shrug:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shbobdb posted:

So what does this incomprehensibility have to offer? The original argument was that religion 1) Provided a moral framework 2) provided community and 3) Is hedonic. Now it's "religion is weird and incomprehensible and at odds with life as lived." What does religion have to offer?
It is tremendously arrogant of us to just presuppose that for something to matter, it must offer anything to us. Of course it would be nice for us if it did, but if it doesn't: how does that speak against it? Now you can claim you personally aren't interested in it if it can't offer you anything. But that's just a statement about what you personally are interested in, not about what matters. Looking at it with somewhat less impatience than what we are afforded by our short and stressful lives, we're but a speck of dust burning at the edges of the sun. You don't actually matter a priori.

If you can understand this argument intellectually, but don't see how anybody could believe it, consider: have you ever had an experience of the sublime? (If not, you're missing out.)

I should make clear that many, probably most, religious people would not make this argument, although I think it is a good one.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I was using "us" as in the "the left".

I don't see religion as having any political utility outside of using minority churches to organize voters.

The fact that churches also seem to indoctrinate people against the left and result in more reactionary voters is also a strike against it.

That's been my point: the left isn't hostile to religion, religion is hostile to the left.

Who care about what an individual believes? That's not at all what I'm talking about nor is it my concern.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shbobdb posted:

I was using "us"
Actually you weren't?.. What are you referring to?

magnavox space odyssey
Jan 22, 2016

zh1 posted:

Shbobdb posted:

This is a good post and would have been a great post once upon a time.
Nice.

Anyway Jesus Christ is real and religion gives you fulfillment as well as a reason for helping people and improving yourself. :angel: Also capitalism is bad and christian socialism exists.

CommieGIR posted:

The difference being where scientists say "We don't know that yet" and demand evidence versus faith that just says "God did it, and don't question it" :shrug:
I think, and I'm not entirely sure on this one, but I think this is a horribly false view of theology. Also religion, at least modern religion, is not used to explain the natural world, despite what creationists would have you believe. It's more to do with morals, at least as far as I remember mass.

Actually reading the poster you quoted in context I have no idea what he was trying to say. But the fact remains that you cannot prove the scientific method using the scientific method, for obvious reasons. Science is the use of the scientific method and philosophy is what then defines what science is or at least should be. Saying it's based on "faith" is perhaps wrong, but it's not based on any "objective, scientific" fact. So it's not based on evidence, at least.

magnavox space odyssey fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 15, 2017

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

magnavox space odyssey posted:

Also religion, at least modern religion, is not used to explain the natural world, despite what creationists would have you believe.
Creationism is a very modern phenomenon, isn't it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I think, and I'm not entirely sure on this one, but I think this is a horribly false view of theology. Also religion, at least modern religion, is not used to explain the natural world, despite what creationists would have you believe. It's more to do with morals, at least as far as I remember mass.

:ssh: Then its being addressed at those who do use it as a way to explain the natural world. People like Senator Inhofe who uses religion as proof Climate Change cannot be real, and others like him. Or people like Ken Hamm, who do real damage to science education through faithful ignorance.

Actually reading the poster you quoted in context I have no idea what he was trying to say. But the fact remains that you cannot prove the scientific method using the scientific method, for obvious reasons.
No offense, his is an incredibly igorant statement. The Scientific Method is not a thing or a material object. Its a system. Of course you can't prove it, do you even understand what you are claiming by saying that?

Science is the use of the scientific method and philosophy is what then defines what science is or at least should be. Saying it's based on "faith" is perhaps wrong, but it's not based on any "objective, scientific" fact.
Arguing that the Scientific Method is intangible, ergo Science is faith is really bad form.

Saying it's based on "faith" is perhaps wrong, but it's not based on any "objective, scientific" fact. So it's not based on evidence, at least.
I want you to publish a scientific paper and then demand that it be peer reviewed without evidence. Seriously, go do it.

Cingulate posted:

It was first penned by Darwin himself to describe people using religious objection to Evolution.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnavox space odyssey
Jan 22, 2016

Cingulate posted:

That's a fairly good point, but I still don't believe religion is trying to be an alternative to science. At least not all religious institutions.

CommieGIR posted:

No offense, his is an incredibly igorant statement. The Scientific Method is not a thing or a material object. Its a system. Of course you can't prove it, do you even understand what you are claiming by saying that?

Arguing that the Scientific Method is intangible, ergo Science is faith is really bad form.

I want you to publish a scientific paper and then demand that it be peer reviewed without evidence. Seriously, go do it.
You misunderstand me, I'm not saying science is not rigorous or not evidence based, I'm saying the very basis of science, the scientific method, the way we get information and determine the truth, I'm saying that cannot be proven with evidence. How could it? What is truth, how could you test for truth? What is information and why is this method of gaining information better than some other? When you get to the very foundation of the system of science it's not based on evidence, but it's also not based on faith. It's based on thinking about it, but that's all that it is based on, reasoned arguments and thinking up methods on how to achieve whatever it is you want to achieve.
Also the scientific method is very intangible, given that it's a method. It's not faith but oh well.

You'll have to excuse me for the following blunt question as well, but I couldn't really be bothered to read after the first three pages of some guy being incredibly insane about something: did you all figure out whether leftist ideologies are hostile to religion or not? What brough upon this derail on whether Jesus Christ or God are real and also Science?

• Locked thread