Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Welcome to the mob!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/_robcorr/status/841966137805946880

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/myriamrobin/status/841968510544699393

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Cartoon posted:

BBJoey in being utterly wrong shock development.

idk what i did to deserve such vitriol, i misread the article and am glad that i was wrong :shrug:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
First dog:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Retail associations are pushing for Sunday penalty rate cuts to be phased in over 15 months, the minimum length of time suggested by the Fair Work Commission.

Both the National Retail Association and Australian Retailers Association favour the 15-month phase-in period, with no accompanying orders to guarantee current workers’ take-home pay.

The short phase-in period makes it less likely that regular award wage rises will offset penalty rate cuts, as the Turnbull government has suggested, unless unions ask for especially large annual minimum rises as compensation.

Retail association in "gently caress our workers" shocker.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Liberalism is bad and far more interested in being chums with the popular and the powerful than enacting any sort of change

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

hooman posted:

Retail association in "gently caress our workers" shocker.

I'm sure the shoppies will push back hard againshahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I'm sure the shoppies will push back hard againshahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

SDA have publicly opposed the cuts, but are beyond poo poo so who knows

edit. also, most of their members work from large companies that are unaffected anyway so they barely have an incentive to do poo poo.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 15, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
There is now a Retail and Fast Food Worker's Union, hopefully they'll try.

But they're still very new and very small and I'm sure the shoppies aren't exactly advertising the existence of a union for the most exploited workers in the country which isn't run by right wing bigoted shitheels.

EDIT - and I'm sure we're all waiting for the inevitable slashing of penalty rates for every other industry which has them :sigh:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zenithe posted:

SDA have publicly opposed the cuts, but are beyond poo poo so who knows

edit. also, most of their members work from large companies that are unaffected anyway so they barely have an incentive to do poo poo.

They enabled the justification of cuts by signing deals for major retail with lesser penalty rates. How this union doesn't care or understand that corporations constantly scream about precedent being set when one worker loses a provision is loving beyond me.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

JBP posted:

They enabled the justification of cuts by signing deals for major retail with lesser penalty rates. How this union doesn't care or understand that corporations constantly scream about precedent being set when one worker loses a provision is loving beyond me.

true story, under my current SDA agreement, we're already at what the proposed cuts are anyway.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Same thing here! Great union really. :suicide:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

true story, under my current SDA agreement, we're already at what the proposed cuts are anyway.

meteor9 posted:

Same thing here! Great union really. :suicide:

*taps thread title*

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull will today reveal plans for a $2 billion expansion of the iconic Snowy Hydro scheme that could power up to 500,000 homes through a new network of tunnels and power stations.

The surprise intervention, a potential game-changer in the political brawl over flaws in the nation's electricity system, will increase the scheme's 4100 megawatt capacity by as much as 50 per cent.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull is set to announce a massive expansion of the iconic Snowy Hydro electric scheme to stave off Australia's looming power crisis.
The four-year project would massively increase the amount of renewable energy storage capacity in Australia through pumped hydro technology, which involves using cheap electricity to pump water uphill so it can be later released downhill through turbines, creating electricity when demand is high.

No new dams would be built, but a fresh series of tunnels and power stations are on the agenda, at an estimated cost of $1.5 to $2 billion. A feasibility study should be completed by the end of 2017 and the search for expansions sites will led by the Australian Renewable Energy Agency. The Tantangara Dam is understood to be an early area of interest.

The Snowy Hydro scheme was instigated under Labor prime minister Ben Chifley in 1949 and completed in 1974. About 100,000 men and women from more than 30 countries helped build a network of nine power stations, 16 dams, 145 kilometres of tunnels, and 80 kilometres of aqueducts.

The Commonwealth owns 13 per cent of the scheme, NSW 58 per cent and the Victorian government 29 per cent. Those state governments could also be asked to assist with funding the expansion.

Mr Turnbull said the Snowy Hydro had been built with the capability to be expanded and his government planned to maximise its capacity.

"The unprecedented expansion will help make renewables reliable, filling in holes caused by intermittent supply and generator outages. It will enable greater energy efficiency and help stabilise electricity supply into the future," Mr Turnbull said.

"By supercharging the Snowy Hydro precinct, we can ensure affordable and reliable electricity for Australian households and businesses."

Mr Turnbull said the expansion would create thousands of engineering and construction jobs and have no impact on water supplied water to irrigators in New South Wales, South Australia and Queensland.

It would also effectively kill off any short or medium-term to privatise the scheme, which was raised by the Coalition's Commission of Audit in 2014. The Howard government considered privatisation in 2006, but later dropped it.

The proposed expansion could, in one hour, produce 20 times the 100 megawatts of power from the proposed battery farm announced by the South Australian government earlier this week.

Mr Turnbull will make the announcement in the heart of the Snowy Mountains on Thursday morning, a day after meeting the chief executives of major east coast companies and securing guarantees of additional supply for the domestic market during peak periods.

Earlier this week, Mr Turnbull was also briefed by ARENA chief executive Ivor Frischknecht on pumped hydro storage.

Australia currently has 2.5 gigawatts of pumped hydro power capacity, with most of it from three projects: the Tumut 3 plant in the Snowy, the Wivenhoe Dam near Brisbane and the Shoalhaven scheme south of Sydney. All three projects are used for electricity generation, water storage and irrigation and if all operated at full capacity, they could power 3.3 million homes.

This doesn't strike me as a terrible idea which is surprising given the LNP came up with it. With enough storage capacity, the base load argument that has been keeping coal in the game disappears overnight.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

If you cover up his feet with your thumb it looks like he's making GBS threads piss onto Leak's grave, which feels more appropriate.

Also Turnbull has announced (emphasis on that word) a $2bn upgrade to the Snowy Hydro scheme. No new dams but "could" increase capacity by 50%:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/mar/16/turnbull-2bn-snowy-hydro-electric-expansion

This bit where my terminal cynicism kicks in:

quote:

The Australian Renewable Energy Agency has been asked to prepare a feasibility study and report back by the end of the year.

Big gently caress off announcement $2BN RENEWABLE PROJECT MALCOLM BEST PM EVER ALL IS FORGIVEN to take to heat out of the actual concrete action from Weatherill. But, if the Libs are going into this with any intention other than turfing the feasibility study once it's complete, I will be shocked.

I'm looking forward to that dense gently caress Frydenburg explaining why hydro renewable good, wind and solar bad (Assuming most 30+ aussies still have quite a sentimental or romanticised attachment to the Snowy Hydro, they'll pitch it as "oh its always been in our glorious history as a nation of frontiersmen, not like that new age fart-powered renewables").

So I guess the main question I have: Is AREA any good? Havent had time to look up their board and history but if they are actually a genuine cause for good and not some loving think tank stacked with ex-Libs and a leafy name, maybe some good will come out of this!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

aejix posted:

If you cover up his feet with your thumb it looks like he's making GBS threads piss onto Leak's grave, which feels more appropriate.

Also Turnbull has announced (emphasis on that word) a $2bn upgrade to the Snowy Hydro scheme. No new dams but "could" increase capacity by 50%:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/mar/16/turnbull-2bn-snowy-hydro-electric-expansion

This bit where my terminal cynicism kicks in:

Big gently caress off announcement $2BN RENEWABLE PROJECT MALCOLM BEST PM EVER ALL IS FORGIVEN to take to heat out of the actual concrete action from Weatherill. But, if the Libs are going into this with any intention other than turfing the feasibility study once it's complete, I will be shocked.

I'm looking forward to that dense gently caress Frydenburg explaining why hydro renewable good, wind and solar bad (Assuming most 30+ aussies still have quite a sentimental or romanticised attachment to the Snowy Hydro, they'll pitch it as "oh its always been in our glorious history as a nation of frontiersmen, not like that new age fart-powered renewables").

So I guess the main question I have: Is AREA any good? Havent had time to look up their board and history but if they are actually a genuine cause for good and not some loving think tank stacked with ex-Libs and a leafy name, maybe some good will come out of this!

Pumped hydro isn't really about increasing capacity, it's about evening the load through storage. You still need to connect it to a power source, and if that isn't a variably generating renewable like wind or solar you're just wasting money. It takes more energy to pump the water back up to the higher reservoir than you get back when you're releasing it through the turbines, so you need to be pumping at peak production (high radiation/high wind), and then releasing during peak demand.

Someone in another thread mentioned another take on this which is locating it on the coast so you can just use the ocean as the lower reservoir, although my suspicion is using salt water would cause an increase in maintenance costs.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Salt water rusts the gently caress out of most metal, so yeah.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/RachelFeltman/status/842055549764161536
https://twitter.com/mckinnon_a/status/842117798939709440

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Gotta say, it warms my black heart to see these WA frontbenchers lose their seats.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So Victoria has been floating some potential changes to the Residential Tenancies Act including support for 5/10 year leases, limiting rent increases, allowing long term tenants to make modifications and banning no pet clauses.

The Real Estate peak body is having a fit, the funniest bit of which is threatening that some landlords will exit the market and invest elsewhere, as if lovely landlords not outcompeting potential owner-occupiers would be bad for anyone other than the parasites themselves.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

So Victoria has been floating some potential changes to the Residential Tenancies Act including support for 5/10 year leases, limiting rent increases, allowing long term tenants to make modifications and banning no pet clauses.

The Real Estate peak body is having a fit, the funniest bit of which is threatening that some landlords will exit the market and invest elsewhere, as if lovely landlords not outcompeting potential owner-occupiers would be bad for anyone other than the parasites themselves.

Presumably it'd also be bad for developers since people who buy to rent typically have significantly lower standards than people who buy to own.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

So this hydro business has been in the making for a long time and all interested parties have been consulted thoroughly before the announcement. It is definitely not a knee-jerk reaction to SA looking out for its citizens at all. Oh wait

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/842128677986959360

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/842115666136129536

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

i am shocked and surprised about the latest comments arising from a bag of flour

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's true; if we just sent all those Jewish refugees illegal immigrants back to Germany they could have voted Hitler out.

we did, they died

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't know what anyone expected.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

Pumped hydro isn't really about increasing capacity, it's about evening the load through storage. You still need to connect it to a power source, and if that isn't a variably generating renewable like wind or solar you're just wasting money. It takes more energy to pump the water back up to the higher reservoir than you get back when you're releasing it through the turbines, so you need to be pumping at peak production (high radiation/high wind), and then releasing during peak demand.

Fair enough, I'm not very clued in on the technical side of things (obviously).

Still, announcing a feasibility study which is either going to be ignored or given a terms of reference guaranteeing a negative appraisal (so we'll just have to keep burning coal) is really all that Turnbull has actually done here.

I'm still fascinated by that article about the Daylesford community owned windfarm. That loving rules. See! Libertarianism works :shepface:

Edit: I don't know if I actually linked that article or not and I am not sifting through fifty pages of that Daisy Cousens horseshit to find out - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/15/renewables-roadshow-community-owned-windfarm-daylesford-hepburn-australia

aejix fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 16, 2017

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I've been reading some of that policy work around housing/housing affordability and I am very excited about it all. Even if housing affordability stays as poo poo as it is, renters will at least not be total second-class citizens? Being able to get a five-year lease and a nice doggo would rock my world.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
It would have been so much easier to say "industrial action shouldn't be illegal."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

It would have been so much easier to say "industrial action shouldn't be illegal."

The only developed country on earth that I am aware of that can fine a population $7000 a head for a general strike.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The day I can call the cops because my boss has hoarded my super and stolen my money is the day I will respect the rule of industrial law.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Good.

Bogan King posted:

So this hydro business has been in the making for a long time and all interested parties have been consulted thoroughly before the announcement. It is definitely not a knee-jerk reaction to SA looking out for its citizens at all. Oh wait

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/842128677986959360

I'm surprised that Turnbull thinks this is a good idea, considering the whole Snowy River Hydro idea would collapse if Australia goes through another period of droughts, like back in the 2000s.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

You Am I posted:

I'm surprised that Turnbull thinks this is a good idea, considering the whole Snowy River Hydro idea would collapse if Australia goes through another period of droughts, like back in the 2000s.

He doesn't think it's good. He's announced a huge number for something that will get shelved once they've wasted a bunch of money on the 'feasibility report'. This isn't costed, no one involved was informed it was even going to be a thing. It is about nothing more than trying to take the wind (haha, get it) out of SA taking the power back.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
This snowy hydro thing is a distraction. Makes Trampballs look decisive and in charge and poo poo while never being likely to see the light of day. Having said that basin storage is a really good idea and we should be doing it already. But as You Am I has said 'drought, lol'. More to the point if the RET investment goal posts hadn't been doing a supersonic orbit of the playing field we wouldn't even be in this place. That was bad business plain and simple. Speaking of which anything to divert attention from the growing voice on this issue that privatisation has been a disaster.

Doesn't go nearly far enough but it is a small ray of hope.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-16/government-slams-sally-mcmanus-over-union-law-breaking-comments/8358044

quote:

ACTU boss Sally McManus called out by Bill Shorten over union law-breaking comments By political reporter Dan Conifer Updated 45 minutes ago

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has distanced himself from the new head of Australia's union movement, who says she supports breaking the law in some cases.

Key points:

Sally McManus told 7.30 she thought it was okay for workers to break "unjust" laws
"The rule of law is not a smorgasbord to be picked at will," LNP frontbencher James McGrath says
Michaelia Cash says Labor Leader Bill Shorten needs to reject comments, and if he doesn't, "he supports them"
Sally McManus was yesterday elected secretary of the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU).

In an interview with 7.30, Ms McManus defended law-breaking by the construction union, the CFMEU, and said some industrial laws should be disregarded. "I believe in the rule of law, when the law is fair and the law is right," she said. "But when it's unjust, I don't think there's a problem with breaking it."

In a statement, Mr Shorten said he did not agree with those comments and said that in a democracy those who felt a law was unfair should seek to have it changed. "If you don't like a law, if you think a law is unjust, use the democratic process to get it changed," he said. "That's the great thing about living in a country like Australia. That's what democracy is about. We believe in changing bad laws, not breaking them."

Ms McManus said many CFMEU fines were for unlawful industrial action following workplace deaths.

"It might be illegal industrial action according to our current laws, and our current laws are wrong," she said. "It shouldn't be so hard for workers in our country to be able to take industrial action when they need to."

LNP frontbencher James McGrath said the comments were outrageous. "The rule of law is not a smorgasbord to be picked at will," Senator McGrath said. "It's the entire underpinning of our legal system, indeed of our society. I'm sure people disagree with the speed limit on certain roads, but they obey the speed limit. Taken to the extreme, what she is saying is that the union movement and the unions are not going to obey the rule of law in this country and that is a disgrace."

Employment Minister Michaelia Cash also called on Mr Shorten to repudiate Ms McManus last night. "This is an extraordinary admission by a newly minted union leader that she believes she is above the law and that unions can pick and choose when they obey the law and when they do not," Senator Cash said in a statement.
GENERAL STRIKE NOW!

This is a great opportunity to cull your facebook (etc.) anyone who harps on about 'rule of law' in this context is not worth bothering with.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Cartoon posted:

This is a great opportunity to cull your facebook (etc.) anyone who harps on about 'rule of law' in this context is not worth bothering with.

Just say she's taking the lead from our AG who is currently defying a court order to hand over his diary to his shadow counterpart and watch the dumpster fire.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/842150907747885057

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wethearowns.

Sadly the Advertiser hasn't backed up yesterdays' front page by spluttering "2.5 billion power charge from Trumble" instead it's all footy and state Libs being slightly ahead in some key seats due to Xenophon's party taking votes.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
Jay Weatherill moves from laying down the gauntlet to completely loving roasting Frydenburg at a press conference:

https://www.facebook.com/abcnews.au/videos/10156358043999988/

Paging Mr Frydenburg, Mr Josh Frydenburg, please report to the burns unit immediately

If only we could replace the brilliantly described bag of flour Bill "easy now don't rock the boat" Shorten with this guy we'd have a lot more to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

aejix posted:

Jay Weatherill moves from laying down the gauntlet to completely loving roasting Frydenburg at a press conference:

https://www.facebook.com/abcnews.au/videos/10156358043999988/

Paging Mr Frydenburg, Mr Josh Frydenburg, please report to the burns unit immediately

If only we could replace the brilliantly described bag of flour Bill "easy now don't rock the boat" Shorten with this guy we'd have a lot more to look forward to.

Holy poo poo, that was a fair savaging.

• Locked thread