Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

extra stout posted:

I'm pretty greasy and excited about it.

Uh that's cool and all (honestly I need to break my stardew valley addiction and get back into this, amongst other things), but what the heck do you mean by greasy? I've read it several times and I just don't understand your usage of the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Uh that's cool and all (honestly I need to break my stardew valley addiction and get back into this, amongst other things), but what the heck do you mean by greasy? I've read it several times and I just don't understand your usage of the word.

The build up of oil on the kind of dude who would play as a dwarf on a video game for 10 years

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ah ok, literally. Gotcha. Keep slippery pal.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

genghispawn posted:

Or it could be my spelling. Bagimli...put too many Is I think. I am definitely on Landroval, so got that right at least. I THINK I've completed the intro....

Bag is in the Kin now.

Also I did this today.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Captain Candiru posted:

Bag is in the Kin now.

Also I did this today.

All your hard work paid off, get ready for Update 20, typically updates take about two weeks after hitting the test server

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?651783-Bullroarer-Update-20-Preview-and-Release-Notes

TLDR:

-The world has a new area, "The Wastes" with 3 new regions: Noman-lands, Dagorlad, and the Slag-hills.
-New crafting recipes for endgame tokens: Two Host of the West recipes have been added to the Anorien crafting tier for each profession
-With Update 20, the following instances are now in the Featured Instance rotation: Lost Temple, Glinghant, Fornost: Wraith of Earth, Seat of the Great Goblin, Sword-hall of Dol Goldur, and Flight to the Lonely Mountain. Featured Instances now have a chance to drop Wastes crit crafting items and rep token bundles for the Host of the West Quartermasters.

~Skirmish - The price of the Small Reputation Acceleration Tome is being increased to better reflect Mark and Medallion acquisition rates.~
Time to max out the rep boost bar on all my chars first.

And just for fun:
-The following emotes now have animations: assist, attack, blush, brb, curtsey, drool, fight, grumble, hug, innocent, mumble, pat, ready, resist, rest, stare, stretch, succumb, sweat, tear, wait, & wink.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7700994#post7700994

More changes to the upcoming Update 20 patch notes on the test server. Not sure I'm reading it properly but it seems LIs will not be going up at all until Mordor now, or maybe slightly in a small patch between 20 (upcoming) and 21 (Mordor) but even that is just a guess. People complained about the grind, justifiable if you have more than one 105.

The guardian nerfs were changed so you still get similar tanking when fully traited. They didn't post how much, but reputation acceleration tomes will not be raised in price as massively as was planned before. We'll be getting something called "six player resource dungeons", I can imagine it's six man content for the new currency and maybe essence, but the word dungeon instead of instance has me curious.

I'm still sold it'll be pretty good content to prepare us for Mordor, also there are two days left to go VIP for the limited edition mount, and if you're VIP when Update 20 hits you play the new quest pack content for free for as long as you are VIP, worth considering.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I wrapped up in Angmar recently, one of my favorite zones! After the huge empty spaces and dull landscape of Forochel, Angmar was perfect. I love how Angmar is a blasted, bleak, and poisonous place, a direct reflection of the powers that be. Its such a strong juxtaposition against the Trollshaws, or Evendim, or The Shire and it drives home how serious the fight is against the Enemy. Angmar is just full of misery, slaves, monsters, and cruelty, and that's what the rest of the world will turn into if you don't stop it. Malenhad, the sulphur swamp, is one of my favorite environments I've ever encountered in an MMO. It's bizarre and alien, fit only for lizards and slugs. The quest you take to sample the water in the pools to see how poisonous they are is a great bit of scene-setting.

In Volume 1 of the epic quest, you get to Angmar as the culmination of your characters career hearing rumors, fighting peripheral and secondary threats, defending against hired mercenaries and corrupted secondary powers, and then finally you get to Angmar and you're fighting the real power causing trouble in Eriador (with due respect to the White Hand). When the game launched, only up to Book 8 existed, and the final couple books of it are a dud. The deadly statues of Rammas Deluon are a cool, but Mordirith didn't get much of an intro, and as a result he's not a very good villain. If the following Books didn't pick up the thread I'd have felt very unsatisfied with the 'climax' of killing Mord. Also hard to care about was Golodir and his daughter whats-her-name I've already forgotten. While the rest of Volume 1 has a dumb overall plot involving a mini Ring of Power that causes the people exposed to it to make bad decisions, has been lost of ages, and needs to be destroyed at the place it was forged, the characters are great. Amarthiel and Mordrambor are unsettling and hateful villains, and Laerdan is sympathetic even if you want to slap him upside the head. My favorite place Volume 2 takes you to is the torture chamber and dungeon of Sammath Baul, and its one of the darkest turns the game takes. Bodies and gore are stacked up in corners, prisoners beg for mercy, you even do a Session Play as a torturer at one point - its just another juxtaposition to how relatively nice the rest of the world is compared to the cruelty and evil of Angmar.

Next up is Eregion, to wrap up Book 1, find out what happened to Bingo after the Misty Mountains, and get ready for Moria.

The Bramble fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 12, 2017

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
When you hit 60 and can run around all of Eriador unmolested (or when you hit 75 and get a war-steed so that travel times in Eriador become negligible) I recommend heading back to Angmar and checking out the Elite and Elite Master zones there--the non-instanced parts of Carn Dum, the western half of Imlad Balchorth, and the northern and eastern side of the area around Barad Gularan leading up to the Rift. (Also check out Goblin Town if you haven't already.) There's some pretty cool stuff there which almost no one sees anymore. By level 100 or 105 you'll be able to go back and trivially solo pretty much all of the original endgame instances except the Rift itself.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 12, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

The Bramble posted:

Next up is Eregion, to wrap up Book 1, find out what happened to Bingo after the Misty Mountains, and get ready for Moria.

It's crazy how good even the oldest plainest areas look if you have a PC that can run them above medium textures. I remember when I went through Angmar it was mostly a series of blurry grey things, and even that felt pretty cool. Those wandering Cargul are spooky as hell.

Update News: If you want to see the current state, current costs etc of the Update 20 gear currently on the test server here it is:

http://dadislotroguides.com/u20-reputation-crafting-instance-gear-items/

Cordovan posted yesterday saying shy of any hiccups we'll be getting the update next week.

edit:

Paypal payments aren't currently processing, SSG is working on it but just use your card until then
Got an email from SSG support confirming the Steed of The Eldar promotion will be extended because of this, didn't include a date though.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 16, 2017

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Hey so it's been quite some time since I logged into LOTRO (before Overwatch and WoW: Legion consumed my soul). Just saw this thread had like 380 new posts. How close are they to Mordor now? I have the game installing but it's at file 4700 out of 18000 after like an hour, so it'll be a while. I hope they have some nice rewards cooked up for the 10th anniversary that's coming soon, my account is from less than a month after launch back in 2007.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

ruffz posted:

Hey so it's been quite some time since I logged into LOTRO (before Overwatch and WoW: Legion consumed my soul). Just saw this thread had like 380 new posts. How close are they to Mordor now? I have the game installing but it's at file 4700 out of 18000 after like an hour, so it'll be a while. I hope they have some nice rewards cooked up for the 10th anniversary that's coming soon, my account is from less than a month after launch back in 2007.

We're on Update 19 right now, partway through Chapter 10 of Return of The King (after the dismissal of the faint-hearted to retake Cair Andros and before the last part of the march to the Black Gate). Update 20 is on the preview server and Update 21 will be Mordor, sometime this summer probably.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
We're really close to the black gate. You have a session play there even.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Nice. It would be cool if they release a proper boxed collector's edition for the Mordor expansion, I'd buy the hell out of it.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

Nice. It would be cool if they release a proper boxed collector's edition for the Mordor expansion, I'd buy the hell out of it.

I would too but they've sold many more years digitally than physically now, and I know they couldn't legally sell merchandise with the tree of Gondor on it even while WB owned them, I imagine that would be especially true now so without some cloth maps or other nerd collectibles you'd just be paying extra for some DVDs.

Also for anyone who didn't see my earlier edit, Paypal is not going through to SSG right now so use your card until that is fixed or be disappointed as they accept your money but are unsure how to receive it and deliver your product currently. Hence this: Our Free VIP Gift program has been extended through March 19th!

The Spring Festival is almost here! This annual event begins on March 23rd, and runs through April 2nd.

Spring will likely be a small event as the big decade anniversary is coming up shortly after, I'll post any new cosmetics, good deals etc once I hear of them but I would almost guarantee Spring Fest will be unchanged as the work is going into Mordor, U20, and the 10th anniversary in that order.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 17, 2017

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Update hits Tuesday. Tomorrow.

To the Black Gate!

genghispawn
Aug 17, 2008
Is purchasing expansions through the market the best way? I know they are on sale right now, and probably can't get a disc anyway.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

genghispawn posted:

Is purchasing expansions through the market the best way? I know they are on sale right now, and probably can't get a disc anyway.

More of a personal preference, they go 75% off during Steam's summer and winter sales, but do you mean the store? The market is just the name for their website transactions at lotro.com, I think they might be 20% in the in game store (ctrl-s or click the icon) but I thought that was just the 'quest packs' and not technically the full expansion pack in the current sale.

It can be annoying to have more options, but ultimately it means patient people or people who grind points save money.

As Candiru posted Update 20: The Battle of The Black Gate is now live.

https://lotro.com/en/u20

genghispawn
Aug 17, 2008
Yeah I was talking about the in game store. And the Mines of Moria expansion (at least that one?), full thing, is included in the 20%.

I didn't even know Steam had it!

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I don't even see the expansions on Steam anymore. Maybe they just want people to use the Steam installer for the base game and then buy DLC through the LOTRO store now?

I got my expansions through Steam so I thought maybe it just wasn't showing me, but if I go to the Steam store in my browser without being logged in I still don't see anything.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Logged into Steam all I see is the original product store page.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Well, they broke their Steam transactions when they made the shift to Indy land, so it's probably for the best.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Gandalf is going to be killing some motherfuckers.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Captain Candiru posted:

Gandalf is going to be killing some motherfuckers.

That won't load for me, not sure if this one will but they confirmed on the forums the great Ted Nasmith did this and they will be releasing wallpaper variations soon.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

extra stout posted:

That won't load for me, not sure if this one will but they confirmed on the forums the great Ted Nasmith did this and they will be releasing wallpaper variations soon.

Is this the new splash screen while the game loads? I think it looks bad rear end. I never liked the super-processed, uncanny valley looking they have been using. Going a little more stylized is a good move.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Yeah, the too-realistic art they've occasionally been using since around Rohan's release doesn't really suit the game at all. Most LOTR art I'm familiar with have been in veins like this...
http://digitalart.io/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Eowyn-Minas-Tirith-Lord-of-the-Rings-Wallpaper.jpg

Where there's some style and everything isn't a flat almost-movie-legolas or stock art with helmets drawn on.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 22, 2017

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I love that the game has a muted, realistic look to it's buildings, armor, and landscapes. When the game released it was in stark contrast to the impossible architecture, shoulder spikes, and cartoonish character models that it's contemporaries in WoW and EQ2 had embraced. But this is still an epic story of underdog heroes overcoming impossible odds to accomplish heroic deeds. The dramatic one-off art we have to stare at while the game loads ought to reflect that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Definitely coming back to this. The question is do I pick up from Minas Tirith and run to the level max, or do I make my way through Rivendell and the Misty Mountains for the first time with a lower level character (probably my 49 warrior cause I don't feel like trying to survive with my RM and I'm not going to slowly level my way up with my Guardian. Who has time?).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Every time I get curious to try LOTRO again I remember how much I hated the crafting system and the endless ingredients that clogged up my bank. I want to make those pies, and instruments and weapons but goddamn I can't keep all that stuff.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The worst piece of artwork was the loading screen for Helm's Deep that had a screaming Aragorn surrounded by a horde of orcs that looked like they jumped straight out of the DOOM franchise. IMO, It seemed really inappropriate for this game's older/more mature/well-read player demographics.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
How is the lag in the new zones? Seeing some complaints on the official forums about it but not sure how representative they are.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Brave New World posted:

...this game's older/more mature/well-read player demographics.

Aw shucks, flattery'll get you everywhere.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

jalapeno_dude posted:

How is the lag in the new zones? Seeing some complaints on the official forums about it but not sure how representative they are.

If you mean graphical hitching, it feels on par with everything else. There are big player crowds and you'll get some nice hard drive thrashing from that.

The black gate itself is probably pretty special effects heavy and I bet that'll hurt. Haven't been there yet.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

jalapeno_dude posted:

The initial widespread complaints about lag started with U6. Then the devs stopped doing zone optimization passes as a matter of course as of RoR, which unsurprisingly is right when the complaints began to get really bad. Minas Tirith in particular is a huge problem for people with older machines. I have an awesome rig, and even I occasionally experience slight hitches there. I can only imagine how poorly Lotro would run on my previous PC.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Brave New World posted:

The initial widespread complaints about lag started with U6. Then the devs stopped doing zone optimization passes as a matter of course as of RoR, which unsurprisingly is right when the complaints began to get really bad. Minas Tirith in particular is a huge problem for people with older machines. I have an awesome rig, and even I occasionally experience slight hitches there. I can only imagine how poorly Lotro would run on my previous PC.

I have a really old PC and never crashed in Minas Tirith which always lead me to believe it was some kind of hardware problem or just the engine itself not being optimized for newer hardware, possible memory leaks but I know they attempted to address that already.

They just did a server side patch already and rebooted the servers which should help, I heard rumors about the main source of lag in the new regions but forget it already, something about corpses in the new region not disappearing after being looted so everybody had 500 objects to load in each area, but I didn't get there in time to check if that's true.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

And this is where I realize I'm two quest packs behind. UGH. Ok, that's fine. I started slowly in Rivendell, but I'll probably jump on my main and hit Far Anorien before long. This is a soothing game to play while listening to a massive backlog of podcasts, especially when playing Rote Button Pressing Classes like Champ or Hunter.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 23, 2017

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Man. I wasn't expecting a Battle of Pellenor Fields level of "wow this is aweosme!" but this battle sucked.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Is there some way to trade items from their store ?

I'm sitting on an ancient life-time account back from the EU days and probably have tons of Lotro-bucks hoarded away from the monthly auto-income. I doubt that I will play this game again anytime soon (if ever) but if there's a way to send gifts to goons I just might install it again instead of letting it go to waste.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Hammerstein posted:

Is there some way to trade items from their store ?

I'm sitting on an ancient life-time account back from the EU days and probably have tons of Lotro-bucks hoarded away from the monthly auto-income. I doubt that I will play this game again anytime soon (if ever) but if there's a way to send gifts to goons I just might install it again instead of letting it go to waste.

Yes, you can use mithril coins (a newer in game currency) to mail most things bought from the store with LOTRO points (formerly called Turbine points, what you have a lot of). Though I am torn between asking you to please give the game another go with us or begging you to buy and mail enough housing writs to buy the kin it's own island in Belfalas (this really exists now). Kind of you to do, but maybe you'd want to play again.

Either option would involve making a character on Landroval (our server, American) and finishing the tutorial that takes you to about level 7. Unfortunately I think there are only a couple of Euro goons playing on the Euro servers and they haven't made a kin or posted here about it in years

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

extra stout posted:

Yes, you can use mithril coins (a newer in game currency) to mail most things bought from the store with LOTRO points (formerly called Turbine points, what you have a lot of). Though I am torn between asking you to please give the game another go with us or begging you to buy and mail enough housing writs to buy the kin it's own island in Belfalas (this really exists now). Kind of you to do, but maybe you'd want to play again.

Either option would involve making a character on Landroval (our server, American) and finishing the tutorial that takes you to about level 7. Unfortunately I think there are only a couple of Euro goons playing on the Euro servers and they haven't made a kin or posted here about it in years

We had a kin? I really do wonder what benefit there'd be to playing on an EU server. I've always done American ones for this kin, despite being in Europe. Is the connection better? I've never had an issue myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Well, I presume the EU world chats don't completely melt down into pointless arguing for 15 minutes everytime someone dares to advertise their Spanish or Portuguese speaking kin in one of those languages. So that's a solid check in the 'pro' column, at least.