Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Aww Bege's a real caring dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Dastardly posted:

Nothing will go wrong. Cool guy Gastino prepared 3 poison rocket launchers just in case.
He had to throw out all of his herbs and spare ammo and most of his other weapons but nothing will go wrong so why would he need them?

Good Guy Gastino.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

anime was right posted:

the arc is not only supposed to end this year, but also we're supposed to get the reverie and the beginning of wano...

I meant to say "the rest of the year", not "next year".

In any case, holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Ok. I know a lot of cool things happened in this chapter but, Nuts Island Peanut Town.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is gonna turn out like resident evil and they have to synchronize their rocket launching right

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pewdiepie posted:

Good Guy Gastino.

Who's Gastino? Do you mean Gas-tiny?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is gonna turn out like resident evil and they have to synchronize their rocket launching right

They're going to waste 2 rockets before they realize they have to shoot Big Mom in her mouth when it opens.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

key party favors posted:

Ok. I know a lot of cool things happened in this chapter but, Nuts Island Peanut Town.

imo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
even tho carrots not going to join, shes probably the first character id accept as nakama after a kinemon/momo combo

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I still don't want Pudding to be evil :(

Also, Ceaser is such a disgusting bastard, it's great!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Green Intern posted:

I can't wait for Luffy's entrance. Also that last page with Pudding getting ready is pretty great.

I figure he's either jumping out of the cake or he's got a fantastic costume planned.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

evil pudding is good and i hope she tries to shoot mama

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Well I was wrong before, so I got nothing to lose now. My bets on Pudding not actually firing her gun at the right time, given those last panels.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

actually Pudding is good but she rewrote her memories to brainwash herself into being evil so Sanji wouldn't have second thoughts in rejoining his crew

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

anime was right posted:

everythings going to go wrong. its gonna be great.

Elaborate plans like this invariably go wrong. It's just a matter of how. Like Pudding's gun jamming and poo poo breaking loose anyways but Luffy doesn't come out because he hasn't heard the signal.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Carrot would be my choice for final crew member after Jinbei.

And if neither of them- mysteriously sorta-redeemed Caesar becoming the last nakama would own IMO.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Carrot would be my choice for final crew member after Jinbei.

And if neither of them- mysteriously sorta-redeemed Caesar becoming the last nakama would own IMO.

Jinbei already has his own crew. Why should he ditch them?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the jinbei coin is at least 5 years old.....

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Xelkelvos posted:

Jinbei already has his own crew. Why should he ditch them?

he's agreed to ditch them and agreed to join the straw hats

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So when does the helicopter murder happen during all of this?

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
My bet for final crew members are Brulee and Diesel, they're already meshing with the team so well - why stop a good thing?!

But enough about that, it's time to spend a solid 40% of this thread speculating about that portrait!

In order of likelyhood:
1. Dorian Gray / Phylactery / Horcrux type thing, its big mom at her real age or when she was young, something like that
2. A new character that we haven't met!
3. Weevil's Mom, why not

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Elaborate plans like this invariably go wrong. It's just a matter of how. Like Pudding's gun jamming and poo poo breaking loose anyways but Luffy doesn't come out because he hasn't heard the signal.

Luffy gonna gently caress everything up and be happy and awesome while doing it

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Does anyone think Big Mom will be dealt with in this arc?

I've been loving the breakneck pace of this arc (especially after the slog that was Dressrosa), but I think a Yonko should require more time and effort devoted to their downfall. Hell, Luffy doesn't even have most of his crew with him.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

actually Pudding is good but she rewrote her memories to brainwash herself into being evil so Sanji wouldn't have second thoughts in rejoining his crew

Hope springs eternal. Or basically until the wedding chapter when it evaporates into a puff of gastino smoke

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Does anyone think Big Mom will be dealt with in this arc?

I've been loving the breakneck pace of this arc (especially after the slog that was Dressrosa), but I think a Yonko should require more time and effort devoted to their downfall. Hell, Luffy doesn't even have most of his crew with him.

It would be a massively deflating turn of events for me if he beats her outright. The combination of Brooke + Nami nullifying her clouds and then him beating her up may be feasible, but I am skeptical of anything past that. I sure hope they don't beat her straight up though, as you said it marginalizes the build up

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Oh my god...

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They've got two crews with a specialized super weapon, it would be weird as hell if it didn't all go down here. A few chapters prior, maybe it would have been deflating. But we're well into show-stopping master plan territory now.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Reminder: there is still a bomb set to explode when the tamatebako is opened at the party

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think luffy will beat big mom and escape but he has a lot of help to do it

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They've got two crews with a specialized super weapon, it would be weird as hell if it didn't all go down here. A few chapters prior, maybe it would have been deflating. But we're well into show-stopping master plan territory now.
A lot of folks seem to work like this. It was inconceivable a few chapters ago, but now that there have been developments it seems more plausible. What I don't get about that is that a few chapters ago all this potential still existed.

Like there were a few folks arguing that the wedding wasn't going to happen back when all the plot threads seemed resolved. But course the wedding was going to happen, and there were naturally further developments to justify it.

So on the subject of Big Mom actually being taken out, sure if things go as planned and she just kind of... goes down... that'd be super lame and anticlimactic. But alternately, all sorts of crazy stuff could happen, the plan will go off the rails, we will learn new stuff about Big Mom herself, and her weaknesses, and in some crazy out of the blue way Luffy exploits it and manages to eke out a win with the help of his crew.

That's a completely conceivable, potentially satisfying scenario, and it's just as likely Oda has even less straightforward twists in store. I don't know why people don't assume something like that when they talk about Luffy potentially beating Big Mom this arc. Considering that it could still be more drawn out and crazy, I think it's actually pretty likely she'll get taken out here. It's not like they're ever coming back and a rematch in a different arc would be really anticlimactic.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Yeah, I was in the "Luffy + allies weaken and escape Big Mom by the end of this arc, another party defeats her afterwards" but I think she's definitely going to be defeated by this alliance, one way or another.

The question now is whether she's going to die or not.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Yeah, I was in the "Luffy + allies weaken and escape Big Mom by the end of this arc, another party defeats her afterwards" but I think she's definitely going to be defeated by this alliance, one way or another.

The question now is whether she's going to die or not.

Given the nature of her Devil Fruit, it seems like being defeated would kill her. All those years of soul-life would go back to their original owners, and given how many children she has (and how old Brulee looks), she can't exactly be young. It's possible she'll just be aged to the point where she's no longer a threat, though; I think Oda mentions in an SBS that ordinary people in OPverse can live to be 130 (at least with good luck and proper medical care), and extraordinary people can live to be even older.

Also, saying OPverse sounds silly. Why didn't Oda give the planet a name?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

All Blue would have been a good name of IT hadn't been given to Sanji's dream that we haven't heard about for the past 700 chapters.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

sanji is going to find all blue... in pudding's eyes. he leaves and carrot joins

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Normally a complex and tightly choreographed plan like this would be doomed because of all the random things that could mess things up. Luckily they've got back-up Plan M. Of course there's also the possibility that everything is going perfectly, and that's when back-up Plan M triggers and chaos reigns.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I was thinking on how touching a photo would hurt Big Mom and I came with a theory:

What if the photo thing is that Big Mom is actually a photo who ate the Soul Soul fruit but she put most of her soul in just the body of a real powerful person but her real body is the photo and that is why when someone does something to it it hurts her??

That would be such a Oda thing that I can see it being true.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hey, maybe the photo's of Kureha? She's one of the few women we know who's old enough to qualify, and we've got Chopper around to react to seeing her.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Hey, maybe the photo's of Kureha? She's one of the few women we know who's old enough to qualify, and we've got Chopper around to react to seeing her.

This is my guess as well although I kind of want it to be just a picture of a literal camel.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

IceBorg posted:

I was thinking on how touching a photo would hurt Big Mom and I came with a theory:

What if the photo thing is that Big Mom is actually a photo who ate the Soul Soul fruit but she put most of her soul in just the body of a real powerful person but her real body is the photo and that is why when someone does something to it it hurts her??

That would be such a Oda thing that I can see it being true.

I'm a fan of this theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Eiba posted:

A lot of folks seem to work like this. It was inconceivable a few chapters ago, but now that there have been developments it seems more plausible. What I don't get about that is that a few chapters ago all this potential still existed.

Like there were a few folks arguing that the wedding wasn't going to happen back when all the plot threads seemed resolved. But course the wedding was going to happen, and there were naturally further developments to justify it.

So on the subject of Big Mom actually being taken out, sure if things go as planned and she just kind of... goes down... that'd be super lame and anticlimactic. But alternately, all sorts of crazy stuff could happen, the plan will go off the rails, we will learn new stuff about Big Mom herself, and her weaknesses, and in some crazy out of the blue way Luffy exploits it and manages to eke out a win with the help of his crew.

That's a completely conceivable, potentially satisfying scenario, and it's just as likely Oda has even less straightforward twists in store. I don't know why people don't assume something like that when they talk about Luffy potentially beating Big Mom this arc. Considering that it could still be more drawn out and crazy, I think it's actually pretty likely she'll get taken out here. It's not like they're ever coming back and a rematch in a different arc would be really anticlimactic.

The only reason that there were people who didn't think Big Mom was going to be taken out was because the footwork for the scenario hadn't been laid out in full at the time and it didn't logically make sense given what people know about everyone's relative strength. A lot of us who thought otherwise were mostly operating not on the logic of the situation that we were given, but on the narrative timing and opportunity for it. As in, if there was ever going to be a time for Luffy and company to bring down Big Mom, the arc where Big Mom is the major villain and everything's piling up around her would be it. Any other time just wouldn't make sense, narratively. Or at least to anybody's satisfaction.

Now that the scenario's been laid out, people concerned about in-series logic have their conditions satisfied and they're totally on board, while it also adds even more narrative weight and room for complications/hijinx to the now inevitable confrontation, building up momentum for all the readers.

Because of the last few chapters, now it'd be more deflating if Luffy didn't somehow take Big Mom down, even if he has to jump through insane and hilarious hoops to do it.