Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
http://nbanv.mayhem.cbssports.com/e/7ea8854ec74bbaf3ecacaf76a2c676eb?ttag=BPM17_cpy_invite_new

I made an NBA N/V group for the NCAA tournament

You shouldn't need a password or anything if you use that link

My name there is Dehon Bomble
But what's important is that it's time to pretend to care about college basketball

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The new hot take I've seen on twitter is that Kawhi shouldn't win because defense is overrated.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Boring take. How about the system player take, Curry Harden and Kawhi don't count because they're system players so the MVP goes to Westbrook by default

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Fast Luck posted:

Boring take. How about the system player take, Curry Harden and Kawhi don't count because they're system players so the MVP goes to Westbrook by default

The system in OKC is to pad out Westbrook's stats

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Russ is on his way to averaging a triple double a feat that has only been done by only one other individual when the pace was all-star game esque. He's carrying a young team, which breeds inconsistent play, that can't shoot worth a poo poo to the playoffs while handling a usage rate that most players would falter at. He's not the mvp because why? Because he can't get the 3 seed? Because his advanced stats aren't all incredible enough to crank your pecker to? Because he's not mr efficient? He's having one of the greatest individual seasons ever he's the loving mvp

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Do the Team Dignitas jerseys have Sixers logos?

I hope so.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Metapod posted:

Russ is on his way to averaging a triple double a feat that has only been done by only one other individual when the pace was all-star game esque. He's carrying a young team, which breeds inconsistent play, that can't shoot worth a poo poo to the playoffs while handling a usage rate that most players would falter at. He's not the mvp because why? Because he can't get the 3 seed? Because his advanced stats aren't all incredible enough to crank your pecker to? Because he's not mr efficient? He's having one of the greatest individual seasons ever he's the loving mvp
Triple double is a fake stat. Anyway I read this article today http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18869287/wonky-tonkiest-nitty-grittiest-most-analytically-correct-mvp-debate-all
and they all did decide Westbrook can't be the MVP because he can't get his team the 3 seed which is dumb imo. Then they all picked Harden

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Looter in a riot is a term publicly spoken by voters of these things. A lot of voters are very old school and still believe in winning above all else and if you are the face of winning, then you get the vote.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Russell Westbrook is cool

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Fast Luck posted:

Kawhi has a better Ortg than Harden, scores more points per 100 possessions, has a better eFG%, and also is 10x the defender. I don't really care about team performance that much but the Spurs are better than Houston.

People are still dumb and don't realize how much pace and minutes affect things. When Kawhi's on the court he's scoring more than Harden.

I wonder if Kawhi throws bad passes. Shooters seem to shoot really poorly when they receive a Kawhi pass, even when wide open.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Fast Luck posted:

Kawhi has a better Ortg than Harden, scores more points per 100 possessions, has a better eFG%, and also is 10x the defender. I don't really care about team performance that much but the Spurs are better than Houston.

Kawhi might be ever so slightly more efficient as a scorer (their TS% is nearly identical), but ignoring Harden's passing when comparing them as offensive players is pretty intellectually dishonest. Harden's ast% is over 50 for god's sake. He's averaging 10 more assists than Kawhi per 100 possessions, so while Kawhi is scoring 3 more points per 100 himself, James is creating about 24 more points for his team per 100 given the Rockets FGA distribution. They're neck and neck in the MVP race but it's Harden's insane offense vs. Kawhi's really good offense and defense, not because Kawhi is secretly a better offensive player.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Blind Pineapple posted:

Kawhi might be ever so slightly more efficient as a scorer (their TS% is nearly identical), but ignoring Harden's passing when comparing them as offensive players is pretty intellectually dishonest. Harden's ast% is over 50 for god's sake. He's averaging 10 more assists than Kawhi per 100 possessions, so while Kawhi is scoring 3 more points per 100 himself, James is creating about 24 more points for his team per 100 given the Rockets FGA distribution. They're neck and neck in the MVP race but it's Harden's insane offense vs. Kawhi's really good offense and defense, not because Kawhi is secretly a better offensive player.

Assists are overrated.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Would a Harden voter do anything about the smoke in the room or would they just sit there like a lazy root beer barrel?

I wouldn't lift a finger to help a dying man. RBB 4 MVP 2017.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Bashez posted:

Assists are overrated.

Getting Clint Capela to #3 in the league in FG% is not overrated.

Harden also leads the league in potential assists.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Blind Pineapple posted:

Getting Clint Capela to #3 in the league in FG% is not overrated.

Harden also leads the league in potential assists.

"assists are overrated unless it applies to my Kawhi" is what you're looking for.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

James Harden plays bitchmade basketball and therefore doesn't deserve mvp votes

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
As someone with no horse in the race and can objectively look at things without being a homer going all but mah guy, it's pretty obvious harden should be mvp. Now will the voters think the same way

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

pubic works project posted:

Next up on "The Wacky Adventures of Lavar Ball"

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18915008/charles-barkley-issues-one-one-challege-lavar-ball

How dare he attempt to sully the name of Sir Charles! :argh:

This game has to happen.

Bashez posted:

Assists are overrated.

Being able to get assists is one reason why LeBron is better than Leonard. This season has at least 4 players that have a great argument for MVP. I find myself leaning on either Westbrook or LeBron. Harden's percentages are better than Westbrook's but Westbrook is in an AI like situation where everyone knows he has to play well for the Thunder to have a chance. LeBron is the best player in the world but for some reason the NBA decided he doesn't get more MVPs. I could see San Antonio or Houston making the playoffs with their MVP candidate out for the whole season. I don't know if OKC or the Cavs would make it.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Wrong

Wrong!!!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I could see San Antonio or Houston making the playoffs with their MVP candidate out for the whole season.

That Rockets roster is horrible without Harden. That's basically the Pelicans who struggle to make the playoffs outside of a miracle shot by Davis to reach the 8th seed that one time.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

That would lead to the tantalizing situation of Dekker handling the ball a bunch, reliving Time's avatar over and over again on national TV

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Without Root Beer Barrel James Harden the Rockets would have a core of Pat Bev, Eric Gordon, and Ryan Anderson.

That's uh, yikes

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

leftist heap posted:

Wrong

Wrong!!!

He has taken Manus beautiful game and perverted it! Search your feelings leftist heap. You will know it to be true.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I think you mixed up rockets with cavs because the cavs would certainly make the playoff in the east without lebron

meanwhile the rockets, :laffo:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tae posted:

That Rockets roster is horrible without Harden. That's basically the Pelicans who struggle to make the playoffs outside of a miracle shot by Davis to reach the 8th seed that one time.

A key difference is they have a good coach. Harden is having an incredible season and the reason why they are a contender. However, getting the 8 seed is much easier this year. The Rockets supporting cast is better. They added Gordon and Anderson but those aren't their only worthwhile rotation players. They wouldn't be a good playoff team, but I could still see that team coached by D'Antoni making it.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I imagine the rockets without harden would look just like a scooby doo scene with them running inbetween rooms in a hallway and you got mike d antoni looking down from the painting in the background, smiling but with dead eyes

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Spurs would still have Aldridge + defense to fall back on. They'd get one of those 4-7 seeds pretty easily.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I think you mixed up rockets with cavs because the cavs would certainly make the playoff in the east without lebron

meanwhile the rockets, :laffo:

I'm giving LeBron all the credit for all the good players on the roster so without him, the Cavs dont field a team.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Rockets would be a 50-loss team for sure without Harden. Maybe a little better if they had Lou Williams all season.

San Antonio without Kawhi could probably get the 8-seed since the west is gonna let one sub .500 team in this year, but that's a far cry from #1. It would be as much as of a drop for them as going from 7 to 14 would be for the Thunder without Russ.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

As someone with no horse in the race and can objectively look at things without being a homer going all but mah guy, it's pretty obvious harden should be mvp. Now will the voters think the same way

Same. I like Westbrook a lot, I think he might be my favorite non-Raptor player, but I think the standards for MVP have been pretty consistent for a while now. At least a top 3 seed, and clearly the most important player on that team. (inb4 lebron should have 7 mvps)

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

chunkles posted:

I wouldn't lift a finger to help a dying man. RBB 4 MVP 2017.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

AggressivelyStupid posted:

The gently caress is this stupid poo poo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

top 3 record should be the more accurate statement, because the Cavs and east in general should not ever be mentioned for any awards

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Spacebump posted:

This game has to happen.

Being able to get assists is one reason why LeBron is better than Leonard. This season has at least 4 players that have a great argument for MVP. I find myself leaning on either Westbrook or LeBron. Harden's percentages are better than Westbrook's but Westbrook is in an AI like situation where everyone knows he has to play well for the Thunder to have a chance. LeBron is the best player in the world but for some reason the NBA decided he doesn't get more MVPs. I could see San Antonio or Houston making the playoffs with their MVP candidate out for the whole season. I don't know if OKC or the Cavs would make it.

I agree Lebron is better than Leonard because Lebron can do just about everything Leonard can do and also distributes. I'm willing to ride the no more Lebron MVPs tide to get one for Kawhi, I'm not above that. Assists are still overrated.

Kawhi's a better scorer and defender than Harden. Harden is a better distributor. I don't think Harden has an argument over Kawhi for MVP.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
id be happy if lebron or kawhi won it. it'll be russ though

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

lmao i bet they made him wear those shoes.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004
I always see Westbrooks on Sportscenter doing big dunks and getting triple doubles. They rarely show Harden and when they do he is just shooting 3s and crashing into people anyone can do that. Kawai Leonard (system player) just makes layups and post ups on Sportscenter not even cool dunks or anything. Bor-ing!

Russell Westbrooks 2016 MVP!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Brolander posted:

id be happy if lebron or kawhi won it. it'll be russ though

Russ would be fine if kawhi or lebron or his bestie Jim Harden won as long as his 7th seed Thunder beat the 2nd seed Warriors in the 1st round with/without KD. This is how Russ thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Diddle, diddle, dumpling, my son John
https://twitter.com/JMichaelCSN/status/842164780249055232

• Locked thread