Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Supremezero posted:

True, but are any of them captained by Bright Noa?

... Next game needs to let us swap captains and subpilots around. Gimme Shin Dragon as Piloted by Bright, Okita, Tessa, and Ruri.

I want to keep Beecha as the Captain after that DLC stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

It's because when they designed it (and have kept it since) it was balanced for being a strong bonus for a unit with insane restrictions (Water-only!) In Z3/V they gave it the ability to travel in space and never rebalanced it.

The water version of the Tuatha is actually slightly different than the space version. The water version has longer range(2-12 on cruise missiles) than the space one(2-9 on cruise missiles).

The main thing to recommend the UC battleships in this game is them having MAP weapons that get insanely spammable with upgrade bonuses. The Ra Calium's MAP costs like 110 will and 40 energy or something with the custom bonus. It's not a very good reason, but it's there. Bright also has Okita's super commander skill which is nice.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
is there any reason to like. actually use the laevatein's booster?

extra range really does not seem worth losing my MAP and lambda attack

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Burn through its final attack's ammo against the first high-HP targets you reach, then detach it once range isn't a concern. You don't want to use it for the whole stage but it's a useful thing to launch with.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blockhouse posted:

Flight? poo poo to do before you activate the Lambda Driver?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Minovsky drive grants flight AND more movement spaces (or turbo penetrator if you just want to ignore terrain), and after you get his ace bonus, it's super easy to get him to just start in Lambda Driver mode and never leave it, just hit level 4 TAC bonus. and give him Fighter's Spirit+3

Give him a gravity wave antenna and some movement parts, then just plop him 15 spaces away in the middle of an enemy group and let him counterattack lambda strike all day.

Edit: Oh, and Attacker too, of course. Since he'll just start with 130 out the gate

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 16, 2017

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I use Bright and the Ra Cailum because I like Bright and the Ra Cailum.

Also I am glad they just kept his cut in from Z3 because I hate the new portrait for Bright. It's supposed to be UC Bright but something is off about his nose and it bugs me whenever I see it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I haven't gotten very far, but is zinnerman a captain in the game? I think he's taken over bright for my favorite gundam captain.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Kingtheninja posted:

I haven't gotten very far, but is zinnerman a captain in the game? I think he's taken over bright for my favorite gundam captain.

AFAIK he's a secret that can join in the Unicorn routesplit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

take all the uc route splits and shoot down riddhe with banagher whenever he comes up, i think

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I really want to do the UC splits because I really like what they did for the UC dimension, but like with Z3, I'm gonna leave the UC splits for last. I actually want to do the Cross Ange splits first. I want to Ace Chris before the game takes her away from me. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZuljinRaynor posted:

I really want to do the UC splits because I really like what they did for the UC dimension, but like with Z3, I'm gonna leave the UC splits for last. I actually want to do the Cross Ange splits first. I want to Ace Chris before the game takes her away from me. :v:
it's okay you get her back

and if you love hilda's group you'll adore the cross ange splits, they get one of my favorite beats in the game there

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Supremezero posted:

Flight? poo poo to do before you activate the Lambda Driver?

My sousuke starts every map with 130 focus I'm never not lambda drivering

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Doesn't the Laevateinn have perma Lambda driver?

ZuljinRaynor posted:

I use Bright and the Ra Cailum because I like Bright and the Ra Cailum.

Also I am glad they just kept his cut in from Z3 because I hate the new portrait for Bright. It's supposed to be UC Bright but something is off about his nose and it bugs me whenever I see it.

They didn't shade it properly so it looks like he has an extra one or something. And they coloured in his eyes!

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

Endorph posted:

it's okay you get her back

and if you love hilda's group you'll adore the cross ange splits, they get one of my favorite beats in the game there

Oh I know that, but I want to ace her around the same time as Rosalie and Hilda. Gotta have them stick together. I'm two stages from the split, and they need 7 kills each.

EthanSteele posted:

They didn't shade it properly so it looks like he has an extra one or something. And they coloured in his eyes!

Oh, so that's what it is. Yeah, it looks like he has two noses. Also, I think his eyes have been colored in since CCA (in UC it's less visible than CCA)?

ZuljinRaynor fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 16, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

EthanSteele posted:

Doesn't the Laevateinn have perma Lambda driver?

IIRC it starts Lambda Driver at 110 instead of 130.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Oh, so that's what it is. Yeah, it looks like he has two noses. Also, I think his eyes have been colored in since CCA (in UC it's less visible than CCA)?

Yeah he's definitely coloured in in CCA, same with Mirai so some people can't tell its her because one of her major defining features is gone. It's very subtle in Unicorn though, way moreso than in game.

Kanos posted:

IIRC it starts Lambda Driver at 110 instead of 130.

That would explain why I've never seen the animation since I have the +10 starting factory thing. I'm sure Al says the Lambda driver is available all the time, but I could be misremembering.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The description says it activates at 100 will.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Aw, does Ple not say "Funnel! Wait no, fin funnel!!" when you put her in a unit with fin funnels anymore?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway i just beat the soji route so here's my review

pros:
the crossover plot is really good
the game is pretty easy but the gameplay mechanics are really fun. exc is a good system and i like how sp works in this game, it leads to less of the problem of either sputtering out when a second wave of unexpected reinforcements comes in or just saving all your SP until the boss. being able to use spirits on the enemy turn is probably a bit broken but at the same time it's pretty convenient.
animations are mostly fantastic.
the translation is great. sure there's some typos/unforced errors but on the other hand it has the following exchange: "Those women were, uh, really interested in my body." "Sounds like you had it... hard."

cons:
the crossover plot is really good but only like half the series in the game are actually involved in the crossover plot. forget hathaway, they might as well label eva 'unit only,' and i kept forgetting daitarn and zambot were even in the game, only to be reminded when one of the nadesico characters mentioned banjo offhand. and the only gundam 00 character to be at all relevant is graham of all people, and it'd be nice if they made his mech not complete rear end if they're going to make me want to deploy him on mightgaine stages.

they do some weird stuff with units. like i like the entire cross ange crew but i feel like you could have expanded their movepools a little if you wanted them all to be there. rosalie and chris could have been hilda's sidekicks, or if you wanted them both to be playable on their own so their little subplot could be included, you could at least give them a combo attack with each other after their beat resolves. ersha joins back with the party almost immediately so her subplot almost doesn't exist, so you might as well just make her a call-in attack for vivian. You could also have given vivian a midgame upgrade where she gets a new finisher. something using her out-of-cockpit hijinks, either her grenade stuff or her dragon stuff. seriously, vivian's actually one of the main focuses of cross ange for like six episodes you could at least give her a cg spam attack like salamandinay has. also give saburouta an attack where he calls in the other two former jovian guys? iunno, something to make him not completely outclassed by ryoko.

its weird who gets left out and who gets to join up, anyway. I guess mondo and iino are easy adds since they don't even have their own mechs so they just need cut-ins for you to be able to plop them into whatever gundam you feel like, but it's still weird that they're there at all. and saburouta seems to exist only so you have an extra body for the first route split, and if you're going that route i'd rather you make *him* a call-in attack for Ryoko and have Izumi and Hikaru be actual units. also if full frontal is playable why isn't angelo. the rozen zulu is cool.

(also i seriously don't even know who those random jesta/jegan pilots are, and ive watched unicorn twice)

overall 7.8/10 too much water (seriously they reuse that one cross ange map like seven times)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

You forgot the greatest sin of all, and that is making Full Frontal playable. But not in the Sinanju, oh no. In the bloody NEO ZEONG

uuurghghable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

You forgot the greatest sin of all, and that is making Full Frontal playable. But not in the Sinanju, oh no. In the bloody NEO ZEONG

uuurghghable
yeah i barely care about the sinanju either but i still tossed him out there once for novelty and then spent like 30 seconds trying to piece together why the sinanju looked so weird

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Piloting the Neo Zeong is technically piloting the Sinanju so it's still kind of there.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
My game got lost in the mail for 2 weeks but USPS finally found it! Do the two protagonists routes vary greatly or is it like minor differences?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Revitalized posted:

My game got lost in the mail for 2 weeks but USPS finally found it! Do the two protagonists routes vary greatly or is it like minor differences?

From what I've heard they're pretty drat minor.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Oh I suppose this is an important question: Are any objectives or anything mistranslated in this game? I've only barely started and noticed some engrish typos.

G Generation Genesis had a few mistranslated quest objectives which wasted a bit of my time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Revitalized posted:

Oh I suppose this is an important question: Are any objectives or anything mistranslated in this game? I've only barely started and noticed some engrish typos.

G Generation Genesis had a few mistranslated quest objectives which wasted a bit of my time.

Yep. A few SR points are mistranslated (or the other running theory is that they were given a slightly older version of the SR script reqs).

The most infamous one is Scenario 40: The stated req is to defeat at least 10 enemies and then defeat the boss, but the reality is that you need to defeat the boss while defeating no more than 10 units.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Revitalized posted:

Yes, a few are mistranslated. Generally the answer is "finish the stage faster" though in one case (stage 40) you need to kill fewer than 10 units before killing the boss, not more than 10 units

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

Endorph posted:

like i like the entire cross ange crew but i feel like you could have expanded their movepools a little if you wanted them all to be there. rosalie and chris could have been hilda's sidekicks, or if you wanted them both to be playable on their own so their little subplot could be included, you could at least give them a combo attack with each other after their beat resolves.

I am pretty disappointed they do not have a combo attack, but if they were sidekicks I could not do this: https://youtu.be/5EsRzaEz274

Endorph posted:

(also i seriously don't even know who those random jesta/jegan pilots are, and ive watched unicorn twice)

Daguza as a unit I get even though I won't use him, but Conroy I forget even existed.

I appreciate the Tri-Stars are one unit instead of 3, but I never cared for them in Unicorn so I will never sortie them on my own.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, a few are mistranslated. Generally the answer is "finish the stage faster" though in one case (stage 40) you need to kill fewer than 10 units before killing the boss, not more than 10 units

Some map said kill 20 enemies and get to the point but I didn't get the SR point until I killed all the enemies first.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Conroy is only there because he was in Z3.2 so they just needed to do the new portraits and he was done. Daguza was in 3.1 but in a Loto so I don't remember him being in the Jegan. At least Conroy has a beam Desert Eagle and a Mega Bazooka Launcher to go with his tacticool Sam Fisher goggles. Nigel was in 3.2 as well but I'm 99% certain he did not have the call-in attack because I'm sure would have remembered Fa's special ops friends joining in.

I really wish we could put Graham in the 00 or something, especially if he's going to be the only relevant 00 dude storywise for most of the game, though I did enjoy Setsuna telling Tusk to shut up, but anybody could have done that.

Which ending choice is the true/secret ending, Ahead or Over?

Revitalized posted:

A big SR point that you need to know is mistranslated is 16 on the go to Japan route. It says defeat Yatenko by turn 4 but its actually just defeat all units by turn 5. The Yatenko can be the last dude you do on turn 5 and it'll still count.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Ahead is the True Route Option

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Thanks!

I wish the Getter boy's aces applied no matter what form you were in if they're going to give them combat ones, especially Benkei. I much preferred Musashi's Spirit becoming Drive as an ace bonus. Even if they upped the will requirement to 170 for all of them and you got half bonus when they're the sub or something. Just anything to make it worth your time beyond liking them.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

EthanSteele posted:

I really wish we could put Graham in the 00 or something, especially if he's going to be the only relevant 00 dude storywise for most of the game, though I did enjoy Setsuna telling Tusk to shut up, but anybody could have done that.

I think they share a voice actor, but I could be wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

They do. It's also why Ange thinks Setsuna's voice is hot.

MightyMatilda
Sep 2, 2015
I'm only up to stage 47 of my first playthrough, but I'd still like to say that if any game I've played needs a Hard Mode DLC patch, this is it. I don't if its incredible ease is due to its can-use-spirits-during-enemy-phase mechanic, the Tac Point mechanic, the Tac Custom mechanic, or some combination of the three.

I heard that Z3 had the Tac Custom mechanic under a different name, but I never played those games. Which seems like a good thing, since I also heard that V reuses a lot of those games' spritework.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Since this game features the Byarlant and the Xi Gundam side by side a lot I am confused all over again about why the Byarlant is a flying unit when the Xi Gundam is supposed to be the first Minovsky craft integrated MS. Does the Byarlant stay up just by force of will/lots of thruster output?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Since this game features the Byarlant and the Xi Gundam side by side a lot I am confused all over again about why the Byarlant is a flying unit when the Xi Gundam is supposed to be the first Minovsky craft integrated MS. Does the Byarlant stay up just by force of will/lots of thruster output?

The Byrlant Custom just has a ton of thrusters, not a M. Craft, yes. It burns through a ton of fuel which isn't really an issue in the one time it is used in canon.

There have been flying units before, as early as stuff as the Gouf Flight Type. They were just costly and inefficient.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

HitTheTargets posted:

Yeah. its a reference but I feel anybody could have told him to shut up because Tusk sucks.

MightyMatilda posted:

I'm only up to stage 47 of my first playthrough, but I'd still like to say that if any game I've played needs a Hard Mode DLC patch, this is it. I don't if its incredible ease is due to its can-use-spirits-during-enemy-phase mechanic, the Tac Point mechanic, the Tac Custom mechanic, or some combination of the three.

I heard that Z3 had the Tac Custom mechanic under a different name, but I never played those games. Which seems like a good thing, since I also heard that V reuses a lot of those games' spritework.

In lieu of waiting for something like that, you could do self imposed challenges, setting up the equivalent of EX Hard of other games. The power level of units in V is also nuts and contributes to its easiness.

The equivalent of the Tac Custom in Z3 is about the same in part 2, but the game as a whole is much easier to break wide open. Ex Points are reduced to only needing 2 points for all things (you can only store 2) and once both people in a team are aced you start with 1 point. Add the Tac Custom for +1 starting points and now everybody can go twice if they take out their first target. Its trivially easy to completely solo every grunt in a stage with a single pairing once you get a certain item or deliberately keep low level dudes around to abuse the +1 point on level up. You also don't have to choose between skills/stats and TacP stuff because they're separate resources.

ImpAtom posted:

The Byrlant Custom just has a ton of thrusters, not a M. Craft, yes. It burns through a ton of fuel which isn't really an issue in the one time it is used in canon.

There have been flying units before, as early as stuff as the Gouf Flight Type. They were just costly and inefficient.

Yeah, the Byarlant is one of the first good ones that can do it as a Mobile Suit instead of needing to transform like the Asshimar or Gaplant.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tusk being the game's premier support mech is hilarious though.

seriously, cheap as hell agitate, both repair and resupply, 3 ranks of support attack. it's the best. the only issue is you need to stick range up parts on him if you really want him to use his support attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I hope it's not going to be a thing that y'all change the names of everything on me with each new English release.

Anyway I still stand by my friend Guard Diver for the support slot (the support Spirit role is overfilled by Nine, Lotte, Al, and most of the ships, so I'm not real pressed there).

• Locked thread