Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

TheAgent posted:

these people sure do like their spacegame

once 3.0 hits with multiple habitable worlds and moons and base building and trading and mining and NPCs and advanced subsumption AI and dock workers and rovers and repairing and bounty hunting and hand to hand combat and new missions all in a seamless universe, we'll all be shown the error of our ways

But will it have female player models?

SNAPMATE GOONIE!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

cool new Polack jokes posted:

my eyes go to that exposed plywood like a magnet, my retinas and brain can only discern tables and surfaces hewn from disused WW2 aircraft

it's not even plywood, it's nasty rear end chipboard and I can smell the formaldehyde through my monitor

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gradis posted:

thread got weird

nothing is really going on anyway so goobs kramering in here ultra butthurt about not understanding human emotion or whatever is the most exciting thing to happen in probably a week.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Space Crabs posted:

nothing is really going on anyway so goobs kramering in here ultra butthurt about not understanding human emotion or whatever is the most exciting thing to happen in probably a week.

I think he's about to go puppetmaster on us.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

:suspense:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Yumberlard

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
nice meltdowns :toot:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ScottJoseph_UK/status/842092810719379457

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

I could see amazon offering next to nothing and cig accept just to be free and then dissapear/hide away with what they have stashed. Amazon gets an insane whale list to market to and can grab some staff.

The staff would really only be artists. And I don't want to be rude, but artists aren't very hard to find and pick up.

Anything worth the weight would be the programmers, and cig has pretty much proven they have kinda mediocre to poor programmers not even capable of making a fairly big free mod using CryEngine.

The value to Amazon might be the cast and promotional material, which has always looked top notch. Looks like a AAA game, but actually is not even close to one. Sometimes all you need is looks though. A genuinely skilled team could probably pull off an upgraded Freelancer pretty fast, barring dumb stuff like tons of FPS gameplay and motion capture cinematics. Just space ships with trade, solid combat and handling, and a mediocre story if any, with limited multiplayer would be fine. Doesn't even need to go into MMO territory.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

Even ignoring free servers if Amazon is giving them free bandwidth for their patches, that's 10 million right there.

Got that right mate, 10 million megabytes :smuggo:

wait,

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Best part is that is from the broken tutorial they removed.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

It's too late now for a publisher, no one is going to swoop in and rescue CIG because there is no upside. Someone earlier posted that it's not 150 million in income, it's 150 million in preorders. The vast majority of the money CIG is going to get they've already got and now they have nothing left but to deliver those orders.

No one with the kind of money needed to rescue CIG is going to be stupid enough to buy something with no potential return.

Technically it's $150 million in pledges of good will, which Roberts can spin it as. They could sell at dirt cheap to anybody and whoever picks it up can just take it and run. They'll say "gently caress all you entitled pc gamers" and just make a console game using the assets and big name actors.

Is it dirty? Sure. Which is exactly why it's not above CIG at all. Whoever buys it can just write a new TOS and also add in a "hey... the money you guys put in is gone. We got the project and will make it, but we owe you nothing. We received none of your backer money. We had to buy this ourselves at a loss right out of the gate. Here's CIGs customer support email address."

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

OH MY GOD

That was so good!, The gameplay, the graphics, the sound!

But you know what was the best, the writing, I was so scared when the ACE showed up and the thrill I got with the player having to self destruct and eject was like my first 10 sexual experiences (except number 7 - that was wrong and creepy) rolled into one!

Thanks, Chris Roberts, you're our only hope.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov posted:

Who are you???!

A *puppetmaster*

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/842141131672567809

That's it for this week folks.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

TheAgent posted:

and tamable pets

tane

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

quote:

[–]Cymelion 8 points 2 hours ago
Lets be clear here - If Amazon was publisher that means CIG would now have blanket protection of Amazon's Legal department.

And while I've heard Derek be unfavorably compared to a Jack Russel barking at Bulldogs behind a fence by people in regards to his legal threats, in this scenario there is no fence and there is a pack of bulldogs.

If there was even the hint of truth to this rumour Derek would be trying to scrub his net presence so clean he wouldn't be bothering to write blogs.

Again - I'm sure Amazon is sponsoring CIG in some form to ensure that the whole world knows Star Citizen is built on Lumberyard. But this one here just sounds like someone who was trolling getting tired of putting on the pretense anymore and just making more and more ridiculous claims till they're finally called out.

Derek better wipe his internet history, cuz Amazon is about to sue the poo poo out of him.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If amazon ever sued Derek I hope that all of his blog posts are entered into evidence, so I can eventually explain the still ongoing trial to my yet to be born children.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MilesK posted:

Derek better wipe his internet history, cuz Amazon is about to sue the poo poo out of him.

Another challenger enters the ring.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Méthane we said.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

cool new Polack jokes posted:

with location based damage

Errrrr, so you've formed a bond with your pet eh, as is the inevitable consequence and whole point of having a pet? Errrrr, and it's going to die? Errr well you can pay real money to save it! :homebrew:
that is hosed up and super goddamn brilliant

like if instead of a stimpack to get dogmeat back up in fallout 4, it was a cash shop item that was $6

gently caress me, its amazing

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

and tamable pets

Welp, packing it in now. I didn't know pets were also coming soon. They're basically already in the game and I'm looking forward to Pet 2.0 where you and your pet buddy can mine together in the subterranean tunnel of a sandworm. And the sandworm is also another players pet.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hi. :wink:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

quote:

So I'm waiting on a bombshell to hit any day now regarding Amazon becoming the new publisher for CIG and Star Citizen, but I'm pretty confident it's coming. I don't have much to go on, I'll be honest, but it seems as though it's inevitable. Between the switch to Lumberyard before the end of 2016, the job postings at Amazon Game Studios requesting devs with Cryengine Experience in Austin Texas, the UK and LA specifically. The weird changes to the weekly presentations since the start of the year, the severe lack of real future schedule updates after promising to release internal schedules, and now the cancellation of the monthly reports. We may be getting a publisher after all.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5zmyge/i_think_amazon_may_be_taking_over/

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I'm actually rather impressed that the shitizens haven't started rioting yet, given that almost all of the project so far is based on rumours, made up poo poo and gossip being presented as facts to an overly gullible fan base.

The mental backflips over the mere possibility of a publisher aquisition must be something gold medal worthy, yet they are being restrained about actually talking about it. Are they broken?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
It's a bad thing while it's a rumour.

If it's confirmed, then it's good for Star Citizen.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Sabreseven posted:

I'm actually rather impressed that the shitizens haven't started rioting yet, given that almost all of the project so far is based on rumours, made up poo poo and gossip being presented as facts to an overly gullible fan base.

The mental backflips over the mere possibility of a publisher aquisition must be something gold medal worthy, yet they are being restrained about actually talking about it. Are they broken?

either way it's a win-win for the thread because loving lol, these people

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Why is the entire cargo hold full with crates of Krogan Krackers?
I don't believe its true, but it really depends on how Amazon and CIG are representing themselves\eachother. From what I've seen so far, its primarily Chris Roberts who is saying they have a "partnership" with Amazon. Otherwise, it looks like Amazon is more along the lines of "yeah we have a bunch of guys in the biz" rather than "HEY EVERYONE STAR CITIZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Also, I feel bad for Smedley, he got harassed pretty hard sometime last year or so by some hacker groups. He had such a big vision for Planetside 2 but failed to see what made Planetside 1 so great for a lot of people. Oh well. He had a studio, after he left DBG, that closed down as well before he opened the new one with Amazon.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
In good news for Star Citizen, when its not janking up, their player models might seriously have better animations and definitely better faces than mass effect: andromeda :staredog:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Ohtsam posted:

In good news for Star Citizen, when its not janking up, their player models might seriously have better animations and definitely better faces than mass effect: andromeda :staredog:

loving Derek's games have better animation than ME:A.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

And which are people playing this very second

I'm not a fan of the Mass Effect games anyways, too much talking and not enough fun.... but at least it's released

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
the crazy thing is that I work for an LA marketing firm and all this conjecture is just to test the waters to see what will and will not fly with the backers

right now Amazon as a publisher is actually netting positive results across almost every forum, including reddit

I'm going to give the go ahead to Chris to make this a reality

thanks!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheAgent posted:

the crazy thing is that I work for an LA marketing firm and all this conjecture is just to test the waters to see what will and will not fly with the backers

right now Amazon as a publisher is actually netting positive results across almost every forum, including reddit

thanks!

Wolf Larsen is that you?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Space Crabs posted:

I like to think that there is at least one person that actually reads your blogs and follows all of the links to your other blogs each time, and since they are so long he has forgotten he has already read them while caught in the infinite loop of you being self referential and it's like some really horrific episode of The Twilight Zone where the morale is something about being careful what you wish for.

What can I say, I like being thorough. :grin:

MeLKoR posted:

Not toxxing but I'm calling shenanigans as well. There's nothing in this for Amazon that could justify dumping $150 million plus the other $100 million or so that would take to unfuck this dumpster fire only to end up with a lovely 2020 Freelancer.

LumberYard needs a boost because it’s not widely adopted. But using it to sell AWS is a tough call because contrary to popular belief the AWS costs can be prohibitive – especially for multiplayer games. And when those games stop making enough money to pay for AWS, well, it’s sunset time. So in the case of Star Citizen, I just don’t see how AMZ buying or publishing this game makes sense. It’s a massive financial and PR liability. And if that were to happen, the end result is that those acting like they are in a cult will just end up blaming AMZ for ruining Chris’s ‘vision‘ if they shipped anything less than what he has promised – even as all indications are that he can’t deliver on said promises anyway. With $145m (if you believe it) to date in liability, what exactly would AMZ be buying for them to even recoup that; let alone make any money? All that money is basically pre-orders with very little room for further monetization. Not even if it came to consoles. It makes no sense for them to do it; which is why I find it hard to believe this rumor. But if AMZ is going to do this as a way of marketing LumberYard + AWS for games, it’s one heck of an expensive spend – aside from it being completely nonsensical.

TheAgent posted:

like smed and roberts are having meetings but obviously it has nothing to do with amazon or cig its just two buds doing bud stuff

I know John. And he was recently hired to run a completely different studio for Amazon. I don't have ANY reason to believe that John will touch Star Citizen with the longest barge pole.

http://venturebeat.com/2017/02/15/former-sony-online-chief-john-smedley-starts-amazon-game-studio-in-san-diego/

Nicholas posted:

afaik, it actually doesn't.

If you use LY for a title that uses cloud connectivity, you have to use AWS and not a competitor's (e.g. Google). Which is why CIG switched from GCE to AWS late last year.

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/faq/

ManofManyAliases posted:

I mean, for Cry 4 and Cry 5, there are some new things coming out:

That's hilarious. Truly.

Space Crabs posted:

If amazon ever sued Derek I hope that all of his blog posts are entered into evidence, so I can eventually explain the still ongoing trial to my yet to be born children.

:perfect:

Though there's nothing to sue me for. That aside from the fact that I have friends in very high places at Amazon; like I do in every facet of the industry. They'd probably ask me nicely.

To be honest, if AMZ takes over Star Citizen, I would be a happy camper because it means that backers will at least get some form of game at some moment in time.

Sabreseven posted:

They won't. Because deep down inside, they ALL know that I've been right all along and that the ONLY way this game sees the light of day in ANY fashion, is if they get of Chris Roberts. And the only way to do that is if a) he leaves of his own accord b) he gets kicked out by a publisher

MS bought Digital Anvil in Feb '97, and which was being run by the SAME three (Erin bros, Zurovek) people responsible for this train-wreck.

Microsoft buys Digital Anvil in '97. Kicks Chris Roberts out. Freelancer stripped to the barebones and later shipped. https://t.co/Mn1wPwtwGL

Less than four years later, he was out. https://t.co/BWRVQInjmo

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

That's nuthin'

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5z6as3/boredgamer_went_to_foundry_42_uk_heres_what_hes/devoacx/

This is the part where BoredGamer blames his mental problems on his inability to share anything; NDA be damned

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Though there's nothing to sue me for.

You retweeted a tweet with a imdb link. Don't act innocent.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

It's a bad thing while it's a rumour.

If it's confirmed, then it's good for Star Citizen.

It actually is though, because the game will actually come out. :shrug:

It won't be anything like promised, but it's not going to be like its promised regardless. The only real difference is some game (not what was sold) will either be named Star Citizen and released, or we'll have endless alpha early access lies that amount to nothing.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Will a publisher honour all the ship presales though..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

thanks!

I was in the boardroom when we decided this. I signed off on this for you so long as you can bring in the agreed upon numbers. Secret Project: Amazon Presents: Amazons Star Citizen: A Ship Purchasing Simulator is a go. Just make sure the secret code name we've given the project doesn't leak out.