Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Sixkiller posted:

Gold squad is to move south to these positions in the 12 o'clock road:

Fight at them.
Gun 'em down.
Do not pursue.
1/2 casualties are taken

{Conditional: if the 6th cav retreat from Stethoscope, the squad will drive back towards the Foret de Effyaders; if one of the cars gets disabled, the remaining car is to retreat back to the Foret de Effyaders. A runner will be sent to headquarters telling them of the situation, in all scenarios}

Fight at them.
Gun 'em down.
Do not pursue.
Last car is dead

If you do this move, your cav in the north will be in range of any Germans in town. If you want to help the rest of your ACs, move the Golds they are in 12" MG range of the town and then hold them still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Dropping 12 turn plane here unless otherwise requested.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Not that my opinion matters at all because I've been left off map in charge of the bloody filing system, but I think we should pull back at least some of Red Squadron's ACs so we still have a mobile screen of some sort if everything goes to hell in Stethoscope.

Maybe fall back to the central river crossing point via the northern edge of Taillis Douche. I dunno. Something to think about I suppose.

EDIT: If it's possible to assign targeting priorities for Red ACs, I'd recommend trying to concentrate on suppressing the arse hortillery.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 15, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

EDIT: If it's possible to assign targeting priorities for Red ACs, I'd recommend trying to concentrate on suppressing the arse hortillery.

Priorities are set by unit type - MGs target (I think) MGs, Infantry, Artillery in that order.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

rules of war posted:

Machine Guns are the exception: they target Rifle Companies (infantry and cavalry) first, then any other target

If we pull some back we should pull everyone back. Sending in brigades piecemeal is a good way to get chewed up. Only with overwhelming firepower can we prevail here. That being said, if we lose one more AC the fallback conditionals activate and we bail out of Stethoscope.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Turn 9: 1200
British initiative

Your Gold MGs move up, after some arguing over where exactly on the map they're supposed to go. (Don't crop your screenshots too tight; landmarks are good when trying to decide where exactly you want your chits to go.)

The 6th Brigade moves into position to charge into Stethoscope.

German rifles open up from inside Stethoscope, and a lucky shot scores a kill!

A machine gun opens up on the cavalry, but its shooting is poor, and your rifles take out its assisting company while taking only a suppression and a kill in response.

To the south, Red Group repels another German charge, but a combination of machine guns and arse hortillery then give you what for in return.

It's a distinctly mixed picture as morning turns to afternoon.

Turn 10: 1230
British initiative

Pater Meus rides onto the field and makes haste for the forest.

Obeying its conditional order, the remaining Red car attempts to escape, but is suppressed by the German cavalry.

His mate rides in and a kill is inevitable against a suppressed company. Gold, however, does manage to get away, and makes tracks for the ford.

The Germans fire on 6th Brigade; casualties are inevitable, but four companies and the brigade commander close to contact.

Good News: the consequences are severe, and the roads are soon full of Germans, retreating suppressed.

Bad News: Your ACs were forced to make a morale check; and they fail. They will be forced to retreat suppressed, past their assigned positions, and will then lose their orders!

Turn 11: 1300
German initiative

Three companies enter Stethoscope and charge a machine-gun company! The other three will attempt to work their way round the Outskirts...

One of your own companies is being charged in return!

The ACs begin their suppressed retreat.

Fire rings out again round Stethoscope; there are kills and suppressions aplenty. The German battalion commander's target is killed, and unlike his fellows, he has enough movement left to close on your suppressed companies instead!

The close combat is vicious; the enemy's brigade commander uses up his movement slaying suppressed companies, while your own brigade commander takes on a machine gun company and wins. Only one of the companies in the Outskirts survives, but he kills three enemies and forces a fourth to retreat; a clear indication of the power of a cavalry charge when there are none of those "artillery" and "machine-gun" rotters around to spoil anyone's fun.

(Meanwhile, Pater Meus continues his pleasant autumn ride.)

Turn 12: 1330
British initiative

Your initial rounds of barbed wire are being finished.

Pater Meus's men aim some well-chosen sarcastic comments at a retreating armoured car company.

The Germans decide they would like to try out this "charging a machine-gun" lark.

Its fellows finish the job of clearing Stethoscope out.

As they do so, you hear the reassuring noise of an aeroplane passing overhead. Its news, however, will not reach the Corps Commander for some time. It's Turn 12, here's a full overview.

The German machine-gun charge did not go well for them; the brigade is forced to make a morale check and, inevitably, routs.

Turn 13: 1400
German initiative

6th Brigade slides around the Outskirts to take up its assigned position; and once again losing initiative works against the enemy; you do not open fire until after they've had their turn, and so retaliation is not possible!

There is bad news, though; as your MG and arse hortillery move forward, looking for targets, the MG moves into range of a German rifle company and is shot down before it can gain the safety of the town.

Turn 14: 1430
German initiative

Again, lost initiative conceals your men in the Outskirts. The AH cannot fire because it's still moving. You fire, kill two MG companies, force a morale check, and the Germans retreat suppressed. A fine afternoon's work this is turning out to be.

Your engineers are hard at work again.

Pater Meus orders his batman to sling up a hammock between two likely-looking trees.

Turn 15: 1500
German initiative

Your men settle down. I look at your orders and am unsure whether the spirit is best fulfilled by having them hold position, or conduct an orderly retirement, so I flip a coin, and they stay put.

Divisional HQ establishes telephone contact with the Corps Commander.

Turn 16: 1530
German initiative

News reaches you of what your scout plane saw...

In a completely unrelated development, I am no longer unsure about what the spirit of your orders requires me to do with 6th Brigade!

They have cover; xthetenth is as sure as he can be that he's got clean away. I'm going to switch dice for that suppressed company next turn; it quite literally cannot rally to save its life.

And here, then, is what you can see at the end of Turn 16.

:siren: The next soft deadline is 5pm, Friday 17th March.

As General Loel attempts to make some sense of all this, news reaches him from the infantry. They're making good time, but you think that they might be able to arrive sooner, for a price...

You may now order the infantry to speed its approach. At the cost of their brigades arriving on the field with 1 fatigue point, they will all enter the field between 0800 and 1200 tomorrow morning, starting on Turn 49. At the cost of their brigades arriving on the field with 2 fatigue points (enough to affect their performance), they will all enter the field during the hours of darkness, starting on Turn 25.

You are also informed that there are about 8 ordinary companies' worth of reinforcements available for attachment to any cavalry brigade whose command chit is still alive at 0800 tomorrow.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Considering that we took the town, even if it was for just 1 turn or so, our tactical objective of severing communications there and delaying the enemy advance was achived. In addition, the enemy traded rather poorly to take the town, and my cavalry is ready to fortify or redeploy, depending on what the higher-ups think we should do.

my dad fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 16, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

And I'm down to two cav chits and a BC chit. :getin:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
That went much better than it could have. I think we shift our fresh cav brigade to the south end of the foret de effyaders, maybe leaving two companies guarding the AC on the northern road. (As long as they're under orders and we don't plan on ever moving them, they can stay outside of command radius, right?) That or get our surviving horses of X's into that part of the forest and have the ACs down south to hold the southern crossings with just the wire.

Trin: If the infantry enters with 2 fatigue points, will it still potentially lose fatigue at 800 the following morning?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Initial rough casualty estimates:

16-17 BEF units lost/routed
-- 7 ACs
-- 9-10 Cavalry (if the suppressed unit fails to get away)

22 German units lost/routed* **
-- One brigade (14 chits) completely routed*
-- ~2/3 of second cavalry brigade killed and falling back to NE...looks like survivors are 1x HQ, 1x Cav, 1x MG, and 1x AH
---- * 1-2x additional Cav brigade in southern outskirts of Stethoscope
---- ** Possibly 3x more units hiding elsewhere based on number of loss markers

All-in-all not bad considering it was a meeting engagement.

Right now we're pretty equally matched manpower wise based on the recon flight. From the German perspective they were just bloodily repulsed from Stethoscope, lost one brigade completely and have no idea how many BEF units may have been following X's charge. Hopefully that should buy us some time to continue prepping the ford areas before nightfall.

*Edit - looks like the German cav units only have 1x AH, so adjusted estimates downward somewhat.

**Double edit - Counted up 36x 38x total loss markers on the field, which based on our own losses means only 20x 22x German chits were killed/routed. Ewie pointed out a cavalry regiment hiding in the southern outskirts of town, so a few one more could be lurking in buildings that we can't see.

Third and hopefully final edit, thanks to Ewie for the two loss chits I missed in the west.

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 16, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Excellent, everyone did splendidly. We bloodied their nose and made them skittish.

I support moving to phase two and getting behind the river, unless someone has a compelling reason to stay?

edit: Im inclined to do 1 fatigue point for the reinforcements, I would be shocked if the Boche tried a night attack.

Current proposal in chat: Night rush to La Dand, blow up any reinforcements as they arrive, smash the bridges, leave at dawn. Im asking for times tables.

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 16, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'm on phase two and moving behind the river, I don't think that's a choice so much as a fact.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

edit: please note that the only way to destroy a bridge is with an engineer, you can't line up your blokes on it and have them just march backwards and forwards without breaking step

Istvun posted:

Trin: If the infantry enters with 2 fatigue points, will it still potentially lose fatigue at 800 the following morning?

It can neither gain nor lose fatigue until 0800.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Note for the Observer Thread - we are currently debating sending mydad to set up an ambush in La Dand overnight :getin: :unsmigghh:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I will be on chat tonight to help out.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Trin Tragula posted:

It can neither gain nor lose fatigue until 0800.

I understand, but can they lose fatigue at 0800 on day 2? Because if so I might want to bring them on with 2 fatigue and hide them out in the back so they're combat ready on the morning of day 2.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

Considering that we took the town, even if it was for just 1 turn or so, our tactical objective of severing communications there and delaying the enemy advance was achived. In addition, the enemy traded rather poorly to take the town, and my cavalry is ready to fortify or redeploy, depending on what the higher-ups think we should do.

That's wishful thinking.

I'm going to take a step back here and break down what happened.

We lost nearly 2/3rd of our force on the map and nearly 3/4 of our heavy firepower. We lost marginally fewer chits, but we lost much more firepower than they did. We knew that we had to inflict at least 2:1 losses in this phases of the battle. We didn't do that. We now only have enough firepower to defend one ford, so they have freedom of movement over the other two-thirds of the map.

We've probably lost the ability to wire all the fords we wanted to cover.

There are still 56 turns on the clock before our infantry is even on the map and their remaining cav will have nearly free-reign of the map to grab terrain on the west bank.

Bottom line, we're behind right now. I wish we weren't, but the facts show that we are. And trying to convince ourselves otherwise is going to screw us over later.

But being behind drat sure isn't the same as being beaten.

For my part - the 6th Cavalry Division and I are drat well not going to let us stay there. We're going to fight. We're going to get revenge and we're going to win.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 16, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Sixkiller, get your last AC across the river and into the SE part of the Effyaders forest to cover the M1 ford for as long as possible.

my dad, your mission is to set up an ambush on the M4 fords. Deploy in the Effyaders forest and make it happen. If the Germans try to cross the M1 fords and are spotted by the northern AC (or by one of your men), re-deploy north to counter that move. Either fire on them as try try to ford or ambush them in the Effyaders forest. If you make enemy contact at any point, alert HQ ASAP.

xthetenth, change of plans for you. I want you to get into a position to fire on units crossing near the M4, but make sure you also have some eyes on any enemy forces crossing the M7 area. If you make enemy contact, alert HQ ASAP.

Loel, we need the infantry as soon as you can get them to us. The 2 Fatigue option is currently not necessary.

STAFF -- if worst comes to worst, we need a Belgian infantry brigade commander and a French Fusilier Marins (marine infantry) commander ready to command these units if these extra reinforcements have to be deployed.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 16, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Requesting reinforcements at 1 fatigue

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

^^^ noted, but hypothetically speaking ^^^

Istvun posted:

I understand, but can they lose fatigue at 0800 on day 2? Because if so I might want to bring them on with 2 fatigue and hide them out in the back so they're combat ready on the morning of day 2.

Today is Day 1. If you bring them on at 2000 today, they go into Day 2 with 2 points. To lose fatigue they have to then hide in the rear for the whole of Day 2 until 0800 on Day 3, and will then go down to 1 point.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Bacarruda posted:

That's wishful thinking.

I'm going to take a step back here and break down what happened.

We lost nearly 2/3rd of our force on the map and nearly 3/4 of our heavy firepower. We lost marginally fewer chits, but we lost much more firepower than they did. We knew that we had to inflict at least 2:1 losses in this phases of the battle. We didn't do that. We now only have enough firepower to defend one ford, so they have freedom of movement over the other two-thirds of the map.

More importantly, I think we hosed with their morale. They dont know how many we have, or where we are - only that we stopped their advance cold. They are going to be skittish, considering their options, thinking about waiting for reinforcements. Meanwhile, we are determining battle at locations of our choice.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Loel posted:

More importantly, I think we hosed with their morale. They dont know how many we have, or where we are - only that we stopped their advance cold. They are going to be skittish, considering their options, thinking about waiting for reinforcements. Meanwhile, we are determining battle at locations of our choice.

They might very well drop into battle order for a full clear of the forest on the near side and maybe the farm, which might buy us time, but I'm not entirely sure there, it depends on how badly they think they hurt us.

Bacarruda posted:

xthetenth, change of plans for you. I want you to get into a position to fire on units crossing near the M4, but make sure you also have some eyes on any enemy forces crossing the M7 area. If you make enemy contact, alert HQ ASAP.

Pursuant to those orders, I think that it might be best to drop the AH in the NE corner of Bois de Blob, maybe with one company of line troopers in the SE corner where they have barely over 12" range on M7 and can sight them. Should I leave any remaining cavalry in the SE corner of Effyaders to maximize fire on the M4 and then see what I can do about command and control or clump up in BdB?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 16, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Loel posted:

Oh, I agree that slapping the Germans quite badly has probably affected goon morale. The German team have proved to be pretty skittish and pessimistic in the past (*ahem* Sandman...).

But again, there are still 40-50 turns on the clock before even early-arriving infantry are able to pitch in and help defend the turns. And, they've killed our Armoured Cars -- which has had to be good for their morale. Honestly, can we count on them panicking for 7-8 of Trin's updates?

As for fighting the battle on our terms...We no longer have the ability to cover more than one (maybe two) fords. If they try to cross at a ford we hold, excellent. But if they find one of the fords we can't defend and they move their force across it, that could put us in quite a bind.

If anyone can figure out how we can cover all three fords, I would quite like to hear their plan. It'd be very useful at this point.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 16, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Bacarruda posted:

Oh, I agree that slapping the Germans quite badly has probably affected goon morale. The German team have proved to be pretty skittish and pessimistic in the past (*ahem* Sandman...).

But again, there are still 40-50 turns on the clock before even early-arriving infantry are able to pitch in and help defend the turns. Honestly, can we count on them panicking for 7-8 of Trin's updates?

As for fighting the battle on our terms...We no longer have the ability to cover more than one (maybe two) fords. If they try to cross at a ford we hold, excellent. But if they find one of the fords we can't defend and they move their force across it, that could put us in quite a bind.

If anyone can figure out how we can cover all three fords, I would quite like to hear their plan. It'd be very useful at this point.

Tis why Im open to the insane audacious plan to hit La Dand. Ambushing their reinforcements the moment they arrive, and burning the bridges behind their advance, will mess them up.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

But again, there are still 40-50 turns on the clock before even early-arriving infantry are able to pitch in and help defend the turns. Honestly, can we count on them panicking for 7-8 of Trin's updates?

I think that with pickets placed well we could very well have my dad's guys cover M1-M4. Not simultaneously, but they pack a lot of firepower and if we get some wire up on M1 and M4, I think he could react with conditionals and shift to absolutely hammer crossing attempts on one flank. I have a feeling that my guys with sixkiller's might be able to do similar with BdB, where a unit of AH can reach M4-M7 and buy time for the mgs to deploy to hammer them.

The gist of my plan is forwardish placed arty to hit as many of their approaches as possible, and use of conditionals to let us use one unit to cover multiple approaches.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 16, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Pursuant to those orders, I think that it might be best to drop the AH in the NE corner of Bois de Blob, maybe with one company of line troopers in the SE corner where they have barely over 12" range on M7 and can sight them. Should I leave any remaining cavalry in the SE corner of Effyaders to maximize fire on the M4 and then see what I can do about command and control or clump up in BdB?

The horse artillery placement sounds excellent.

Make sure you have max fire on the M7 area, but be prepared to reshuffle to cover the M4 if they make a major effort there.

Loel posted:

Tis why Im open to the insane audacious plan to hit La Dand. Ambushing their reinforcements the moment they arrive, and burning the bridges behind their advance, will mess them up.

I'm against any further aggressive action at this point. We've not had great results with that approach and we really can't afford to take many more losses.

Plus, I need the engineers building things for the infantry.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

The horse artillery placement sounds excellent.

Make sure you have max fire on the M7 area, but be prepared to reshuffle to cover the M4 if they make a major effort there.

Done and done, those orders make sense with the terrain and the current state of our forces.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:siren: Things I would like to see :siren:

Timetable route for mydad to hit La Dand, and return time
Timetable route for engineers to destroy one or both La Dand bridges
Timetable route for the enemy brigade to reach the M1, M4, or M7 bridges. Thank you Professor Curly

Plan 1: They seize the city and hold

Plan 2: They continue on the same route as the previous brigade

Plan 3: The shortest distance between two points

Plan 4: The road less travelled

Timetable courtesy of Professor Curly. All bridges are 3-4 turns, arriving before night fall.

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 16, 2017

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Alternative to the La Dand plan - Plan Tin Snips:

Send one of the mounted engineers to do a night-time ride around Stethoscope and cut the telephone lines on the 2oclock and 4oclock roads.

Pros: Low risk, potential to tangle up their moves out of Stethoscope in the morning

Cons: Takes an engineer away from building obstacles overnight, previous experience shows that night time movement without landmarks can be very difficult

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
We already cut those cables when we entered the town. 2 more cuts won't significantly delay engineers who have already been sent to work.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

my dad posted:

We already cut those cables when we entered the town. 2 more cuts won't significantly delay engineers who have already been sent to work.

Trin Tragula (GM): I can neither confirm nor deny any details as to the extent of the German telephone network

I'm guessing its all dependent on whether they move an HQ up to Steth overnight and lay connecting wire as they go.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

xthetenth posted:

I think that with pickets placed well we could very well have my dad's guys cover M1-M4. Not simultaneously, but they pack a lot of firepower and if we get some wire up on M1 and M4, I think he could react with conditionals and shift to absolutely hammer crossing attempts on one flank. I have a feeling that my guys with sixkiller's might be able to do similar with BdB, where a unit of AH can reach M4-M7 and buy time for the mgs to deploy to hammer them.

The gist of my plan is forwardish placed arty to hit as many of their approaches as possible, and use of conditionals to let us use one unit to cover multiple approaches.

My Dad can see cavalry crossing fords m1-m4 and can charge them right quick, hopefully after the enemy MGs have moved to prevent their annoying "shooting back". If we have the other survivors retreat to the lower fords and rush the infantry there we should be OK. Unless they are unsportsmanlike and try to take advantage of this "night" thing.

sullat fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 16, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current chat consensus:

Most likely enemy course of action: They'll wait in Steth for more troops to move up
Most dangerous: They'll try to rush the center bridge.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Loel posted:

Current chat consensus:

Most likely enemy course of action: They'll wait in Steth for more troops to move up
Most dangerous: They'll try to rush the center bridge.

They're only waiting in steth if they're getting more troops tonight, I think. Otherwise we need to expect ludicrous aggression from these guys.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just to make sure this question gets answered, can engineers join up to sped up the construction of erections?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Something that was just mentioned in roll20 was as we have not seen any enemy engineers as of yet, if they have any (which they most likely do) I expect them to be back here building a bridge to get an approach into stethoscope via farm cover.

Edit: The only other decent-ish bridge position for them is a super sneaky bridge all the way down here:

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 16, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

Just to make sure this question gets answered, can engineers join up to sped up the construction of erections?

If they are building wire, no; wire erections are a solitary pursuit. Any other erections may be accelerated by one-quarter its build time with a second engineer, and no further. If it took 8, it now takes 6.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

AbortRetryFail posted:

Something that was just mentioned in roll20 was as we have not seen any enemy engineers as of yet, if they have any (which they most likely do) I expect them to be back here building a bridge to get an approach into stethoscope via farm cover.

Eh, I don't think we can worry about that until we have enough men to smash them and roll back their gains. They can dick around walking the slow route to stethoscope and I'll give them rations. Our business is at the middle river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Yep, it's nothing to really be concerned about, but could be useful later on if some mysterious enemy squad shows up in the farm for some reason, we have some rough guidelines for indirect artillery strikes.

• Locked thread