Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I still love how the Hush saga handled Bruce Wayne's identity being revealed: the Riddler finds out that he's Batman, only to realize that he can't tell anyone the truth because it would make the ultimate riddle worthless.

that was dumb as hell because that's a secret, not a riddle. batman didn't hide his identity behind clever wordplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that was dumb as hell because that's a secret, not a riddle. batman didn't hide his identity behind clever wordplay.
If we accept "What have I got in my pocket?" as a riddle, per the writings of B. Baggins, then "Who is the Batman?" is no less legitimate a riddle. I would dispute his categorizing it as the ultimate riddle, but not its inclusion.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

If we accept "What have I got in my pocket?" as a riddle, per the writings of B. Baggins, then "Who is the Batman?" is no less legitimate a riddle. I would dispute his categorizing it as the ultimate riddle, but not its inclusion.

one lazy as heck story doesn't make other stories any less lazy

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

darthbob88 posted:

We don't, he was a stupid fat hobbit

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

darthbob88 posted:

The Authorities did not actually accept that as a riddle, they just said that having accepted it as one, Gollum was honor bound to treat it as one successfully. If Gollum had been like "Nice try, dipshit" and eaten Bilbo he would have been in the clear.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

It's a poor way to write yourself out of that development regardless. If the Riddler is pathologically obsessed with leaving riddles, why would he have a vested interest in keeping someone else's riddle a secret? And if he isn't pathologically obsessed with leaving riddles, why on earth should he have any qualms about revealing it? It doesn't seem to fit in with or extend the Riddler's character, and if the goal was to show he actually could outsmart Batman it's immediately undone by the resolution.

I'd contrast it with this bit from John Byrne's run on Superman, right after a computer concludes Clark Kent is Superman:

(Superman #2)

It's kind of funny, but it also tells us a lot about who Lex is: the sort of person who cannot fathom being a super cool invincible alien and not flaunting it at all times. One of the better moments in a somewhat mixed run, IMO.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 16, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Why wouldn't The Riddler just create a riddle for other people about Batman's identity? I get that he spars with The World's Greatest Detective but does he seriously not ever make up riddles for others?

prefect posted:

George Reeves
Christopher Reeve
:spergin:

Keanu Reeves
Matt Reeves

Sorry Chris, you were the odd man out and we've decided your name has an S on the end.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Hawkins posted:

I think the idea with Superman's appearance in Strikes Again is that he's slightly older and more haggard, though not half-Cryptkeeper like Batman.

And half-Cryptkeeper like Batman declared he's in love with jailbait Robin/Catgirl.
There were sure a lot of cringeworthy moments in that book, but I think this was the worse.

Though actually-crazy Plastic Man was good.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

prefect posted:

Roy Orbison would have been perfect.

Yeah, but then Spidey would have easily defeated him with cling film....

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

darthbob88 posted:

When Bilbo said that, he knew and accepted that it was not a riddle. That's why Gollum got to make three guesses.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lobok posted:

Why wouldn't The Riddler just create a riddle for other people about Batman's identity? I get that he spars with The World's Greatest Detective but does he seriously not ever make up riddles for others?
That's mostly my problem with it. Riddler's characterisation is that sure, he wouldn't tell people Batman is Bruce Wayne, but he'd immediately try and leak it by posing a riddle for other people to work out on their own who he is.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ghostlight posted:

That's mostly my problem with it. Riddler's characterisation is that sure, he wouldn't tell people Batman is Bruce Wayne, but he'd immediately try and leak it by posing a riddle for other people to work out on their own who he is.

True, he wouldn't leak it. He'd disguise it up in many layers. But that's the problem

Riddler can't let the answer go. His need to be smarter than everyone won't let him simply let slip that "Batman is Bruce Wayne." Maybe under threat of violence or death by some of his fellow rogues, sure. But he also knows that if he tells them that he knows the answer, telling them that "You have to solve this riddle first" would get him ignored at best and beaten up at worst. And he can't tell the press or the police, because who would believe him?

So he'd have to hide it in a riddle. But since it is the ultimate riddle, it would have to be worthy of the ultimate riddle surrounding it. Publishing it in the Sunday jumble in the Gotham Gazette isn't enough. It would have to be his masterpiece. The most devious contraption his wicked mind has ever devised. Something that only a genius of his caliber could solve. And in Batman's corner of the world, that basically leaves only him and Batman*. And Batman has no interest in solving a riddle he already knows the answer to.

*Arguably, Lex Luthor could probably figure out Riddler's best. Though IIRC, Lex figured it out pre Rebirth on his own.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
On non-Marvel superhero casting, I always thought Grant Gustin as Barry Allen was surprisingly perfect. I didn't really have an image of Barry before seeing that show, but any other version of the character just feels wrong now.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

prefect posted:

Roy Orbison would have been perfect.

Well yes, but he was deceased at the time IIRC.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

Mr. Jameson, sir, circulation is already low, are you sure you want to piss off

MISS BRANT I DON'T PAY YOU FOR YOUR OPINIONS

I'm not Ms. Brant, I'm Ms. Brown.

WHO THE HELL IS MISS BROWN

There was an amazing subplot where Betty Brant was gone on honeymoon and Jonah was burning through like 10 secretaries a day and constantly calling them "Miss Brant".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cleretic posted:

On non-Marvel superhero casting, I always thought Grant Gustin as Barry Allen was surprisingly perfect. I didn't really have an image of Barry before seeing that show, but any other version of the character just feels wrong now.

He fits more with the Mark Waid/Animated JLU Wally West Flash

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Ghostlight posted:

To be fair, in the same scene Batman basically blackmailed the Riddler by threatening that if he was exposed as Bruce Wayne, Batman would tell the League of Assassins that the Riddler used a Lazarus Pit. So it was more than a compulsion for riddles.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Speaking of, from social media sensation Jim'll Paint It:

:popeye:

(drat did i despise that movie)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Is there a more perfect comic-book casting choice than JK Simmons as JJJ? I think not.

Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool gets pretty close, since most of his roles are pretty much that character anyway but with the violence level adjusted to whatever movie he's in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool gets pretty close, since most of his roles are pretty much that character anyway but with the violence level adjusted to whatever movie he's in.

Ryan Reynolds was actually a big part of why Deadpool got the movie he did. He's a giant Deadpool fan and worked hard to make sure that the final product would be faithful to the comics, unlike the X-Men Origins travesty.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Lots of Shocker in this month's Star Lord (#4) if you're into that sort of thing.

I hope he's a regular in the Zdarsky Spiderman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I am really weirded out by this "Not quite Chris Pratt" look Starlord is rocking.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Batman's riddle was: "Who is 600 years old, in charge of the world's deadliest assassins and will kill you in an inventive way if if I told him that you used his Lazarus pit?"

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Batman's riddle was: "Who is 600 years old, in charge of the world's deadliest assassins and will kill you in an inventive way if if I told him that you used his Lazarus pit?"

Scarecrow? It's Scarecrow isn't it?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

It's actually a mirror

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Alhazred posted:

"Because Poe wrote on both."

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Man, who is 600 years old as a baby, in charge of the world's deadliest assassins as a man, and kills you in an inventive way as an elder.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Sure would love it if anybody has a panel of the X-Men's Beast looking like a goddamn fool/chump. For reasons.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Diet Poison posted:

Sure would love it if anybody has a panel of the X-Men's Beast looking like a goddamn fool/chump. For reasons.

I don't have that, but I have Maria Hill being incredibly angry at him.

I think All New X-Men by Bendis, but I don't remember the issue.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

Forget the source.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Skwirl posted:

Well I was gonna go with a more anti-Beast avatar but this is one of my favorite X-Men pages/lines ever. Thanks for the reminder.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I think All New X-Men by Bendis, but I don't remember the issue.

The Bachalo art says it's Uncanny, not All-New.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's Uncanny X-Men #12

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ghostlight posted:

It's Uncanny X-Men #12

It was part of one of the worst crossovers in X-men history.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

To clarify, the #12 that's Battle of the Atom, not the #12 that's Avengers vs X-Men.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ugh, i'm so glad that xavier II and raze seem to have dropped off the face of the planet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

To clarify, the #12 that's Battle of the Atom, not the #12 that's Avengers vs X-Men.

I wish this was a panel in a comic book, just so I could post it endlessly in this thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

E: Wrong thread!

E2: Here's an apology panel of Spider-man getting owned really so hard he's speechless for 10 entire seconds.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is Spider-Man just hypnotized? The Foreigner's power actually lasts ten seconds so it seems like more than coincidence that the clock features prominently in both panels and matches up with his power.