Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

hiddenriverninja posted:

dude what is up with Superman's face?

Miller-itis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Does it have anything to do with this presumably being after the Russians nuked Superman?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Naw he was just great after that, because uh, the Earth saved him via a flower? :confused:

I think the idea with Superman's appearance in Strikes Again is that he's slightly older and more haggard, though not half-Cryptkeeper like Batman.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

Naw he was just great after that, because uh, the Earth saved him via a flower? :confused:

I think the idea with Superman's appearance in Strikes Again is that he's slightly older and more haggard, though not half-Cryptkeeper like Batman.

Yeah, he ends up looking normal after being nuked into a skeleton by Russia. The artist just does a terrible job throughout the whole book.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

H ahahahahaah okay that's pretty funny

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

There's a fine line between "heavily stylised" and "actually just garbage".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Perestroika posted:

There's a fine line between "heavily stylised" and "actually just garbage".

Miller's work over the last few years is several hundred miles over that line. I don't think you can even see "heavily stylized" from Frank Miller. The curvature of the earth itself prevents it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm finishing up Revival. I think this section should show all you need to know about the comic.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

JJJ inventing Twitter discourse

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm finishing up Revival. I think this section should show all you need to know about the comic.

Is this series completed? I have the first trade from a humble bundle, thought it was pretty good, but I prefer completed Image series rather than waiting months between issues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vincent posted:

JJJ inventing Twitter discourse

Wouldn't have guessed JJJ was a Gen Xer.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr. Jameson, sir, circulation is already low, are you sure you want to piss off

MISS BRANT I DON'T PAY YOU FOR YOUR OPINIONS

I'm not Ms. Brant, I'm Ms. Brown.

WHO THE HELL IS MISS BROWN

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

zoux posted:

Is this series completed? I have the first trade from a humble bundle, thought it was pretty good, but I prefer completed Image series rather than waiting months between issues.

It just ended. I lost interest midway through but I'll probably try to catch up at some point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It just ended. I lost interest midway through but I'll probably try to catch up at some point.

Cool, I know what I'm buying during the next bi-weekly Image linewide sale.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

Cool, I know what I'm buying during the next bi-weekly Image linewide sale.

Just so you know, they haven't released the final trade but all of the issues that would be in it are for sale individually on Comixology.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

chitoryu12 posted:

You can also read The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Frank Miller's sequel to the famous The Dark Knight Returns. He went completely off the deep end by that point and it's a mixture of Picasso-esque art and horrible dialogue.

The creepy girl is Lara, Superman and Wonder Woman's daughter. The series ends with Superman finally admitting that Batman is right and both of them breaking their rules to start killing bad guys, and the final villain is Dick Grayson, having been fired by Bruce for being "unable to cut the mustard" as Bruce keeps saying and being made immortal and insane through genetic manipulation.

It's in the same continuity as All-Star Batman, of the "I'm the goddamn Batman" line.

This comic is extremely good & probably the last good thing Miller wrote.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Lobok posted:

Mr. Jameson, sir, circulation is already low, are you sure you want to piss off

MISS BRANT I DON'T PAY YOU FOR YOUR OPINIONS

I'm not Ms. Brant, I'm Ms. Brown.

WHO THE HELL IS MISS BROWN

Is there a more perfect comic-book casting choice than JK Simmons as JJJ? I think not.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Work Friend Keven posted:

This comic is extremely good & probably the last good thing Miller wrote.

You sound like you wear the tights.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Is there a more perfect comic-book casting choice than JK Simmons as JJJ? I think not.

RDJ as Tony Stark is pretty close I think.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bunnyofdoom posted:

RDJ as Tony Stark is pretty close I think.

Just about all the MCU casting has been pretty uncanny.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's all been very good. None of it has been JK Simmons as JJJ level good.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doc Hawkins posted:

Superman and Batman are also constantly having their face demolished in that book, so that's another part of it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's pretty much perfect casting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

purple death ray posted:

It's all been very good. None of it has been JK Simmons as JJJ level good.

Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury :v:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I dunno - Hiddleston as Loki has proven loving amazing.

There have been misfires, too. Zemo's character was a bit of a letdown. Portman was god-awful.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

chitoryu12 posted:

Just about all the MCU casting has been pretty uncanny.

True, but taking Downey, someone with well-known substance abuse problems, and having him play Tony, a character with a well-known battle with alcoholism, was too perfect.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Patrick Stewart as Professor X

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

purple death ray posted:

It's not like the good guys don't get knocked unconscious on a regular basis with no side effects. Batman should logically be like one of those retired wrestlers who can't remember his name because of all the concussions.

"I know your secret batman! You're really Bruce wayne!"

"Ohh yeah, thanks for reminding me" batpunch*

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Patrick Stewart as Professor X

Okay, P-Stew and Magneto were pretty good. Maybe almost on the level of JJJ, but I'd still give it to Simmons.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'd say a lot of the Marvel casting are people you wouldn't expect, then can't see any other way once they're on screen.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm still amazed at how good Chris Evans is as Cap, especially given his performance in the 2005 Fantastic Four movie. Not that it was a bad performance per se (he's clearly stuck with terrible material) but in that he was able to bounce back from it instead of fading into obscurity.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Alfred Molina as Dock Ock. :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

"I know your secret batman! You're really Bruce wayne!"

"Ohh yeah, thanks for reminding me" batpunch*

I still love how the Hush saga handled Bruce Wayne's identity being revealed: the Riddler finds out that he's Batman, only to realize that he can't tell anyone the truth because it would make the ultimate riddle worthless.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Alfred Molina as Dock Ock. :colbert:

Roy Orbison would have been perfect.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

chitoryu12 posted:

I still love how the Hush saga handled Bruce Wayne's identity being revealed: the Riddler finds out that he's Batman, only to realize that he can't tell anyone the truth because it would make the ultimate riddle worthless.

Who would believe a criminal anyway? pssh, bruce could just get one of his latest robins to dress up as batman, shake hands and smile for the cameras, problem solved.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Who would believe a criminal anyway? pssh, bruce could just get one of his latest robins to dress up as batman, shake hands and smile for the cameras, problem solved.

Or Alfred. Or Superman. Or JFK.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Speaking of, from social media sensation Jim'll Paint It:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's like how nobody believes Clark Kent is Superman after all these years because robots, clones, illusions, etc. have allowed the two of them to show up together so often that it's totally unbelievable.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Christopher Reeves as Superman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Christopher Reeves as Superman

George Reeves
Christopher Reeve