Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Are there any other dev studios that do achievements as well as Paradox? I thought they were the most retarded thing until I played CK2 and EU4

I thought CK2's weren't great. I finished my Irish -> Britannia run then looked through the list and there's barely any achievements that guide you the way EU4 does. Most of them are the usual "something weird happened" stuff, or character-specific ones. Those are good and all, but I really like using EU4's achievements as suggestions on what to play. There isn't even a Reconquista achievement in CK2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should add cheevos for other start dates though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I get the impression they'd rather everyone just forget the later start dates exist so they can phase them out in the next title.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

They should add cheevos for other start dates though.

But no one ever plays later start dates (because there's no achievements for it)!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hey that's not true. There's the one achievement for the USA.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the only times i've changed the date were:

1) for the easy 1776 war
2) if you set the date to 1806 and then select the 1444 start venice will be in the hre. very useful for austria -> hre

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Paradox is the only developer I can think of that makes you disable mods and go ironman to get achievements.

Well, From Software (Dark Souls) too, I guess. But you don't really have a choice there.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Speaking of achievements, :toot:

I formed Scandinavia to see if Scandinavian Scandinavia would happen, and it did happen.

Behold, the graveyard that is America (the Danish parts are mine).

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I'm Portugal with a colonial nation, and I just had Colonialism spawn in Venice, which does not have exploration ideas :wtf:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Speaking of achievements, :toot:

I formed Scandinavia to see if Scandinavian Scandinavia would happen, and it did happen.

Behold, the graveyard that is America (the Danish parts are mine).

Congratulations! That's a pretty sweet map + lol I'm glad you checked that Scandinavian Scandinavia would happen, it made me smile

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Oh god drat it.

First Come, First Serve requires you own every province in the Americas. You can't have any uncolonized provinces. I thought it would be like every other loving achievement and only count colonized ones. I have 40 years left and 121 provinces to go. Wonderful.

Node fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 16, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fister Roboto posted:

Paradox is the only developer I can think of that makes you disable mods and go ironman to get achievements.

Well, From Software (Dark Souls) too, I guess. But you don't really have a choice there.

I mean it's just setting a base level of honesty because in the end SAM to exists for scumlords who just want points

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Eej posted:

I mean it's just setting a base level of honesty because in the end SAM to exists for scumlords who just want points

I don't understand that mindset at all. I love achievements because they give me motivation to try something I otherwise wouldn't. Just pushing a button and getting them wouldn't be satisfying. Who are you trying to impress at that point?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish Austria didn't automatically start the game set to "special interest", no matter where you are.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ryuku is very interested in the goings on of the HRE, obviously.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

fair should be fair - similarly all of europe should be kept up to date on the goings-on in the Middle Kingdom. is Dai Viet paying its dues? inquiring minds need to know

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Those rebels on Corfu are really determined

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Prav posted:

fair should be fair - similarly all of europe should be kept up to date on the goings-on in the Middle Kingdom. is Dai Viet paying its dues? inquiring minds need to know

from the looks of it, this is what is happening and it pleases me immensely. :toot: there'll be the china button in the corner even if you're in europe, just like everywhere else in the world has the hre button.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kulkasha posted:

Those rebels on Corfu are really determined

Is that a bug or has that siege really been going on for 92 years?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Baron Corbyn posted:

Is that a bug or has that siege really been going on for 92 years?

The rebels in Corfu don't spawn with enough troops to actually siege the fortress, so it's not unusual to see them parked there for a long time if they're too much of a pain to actually deal with.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jabor posted:

The rebels in Corfu don't spawn with enough troops to actually siege the fortress, so it's not unusual to see them parked there for a long time if they're too much of a pain to actually deal with.

You'd think the defenders would literally die of old age at that point.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

"Dad, when I grow up, will I get to be a sapper?"

"Yes son, as my father before me."

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Considering there's no naval blockade, they're probably taking a boat out

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dirk the Average posted:

The Siege of Candia lasted for 21 years and they basically funneled every merc in Europe through there so death by old age isn't an issue as long as there's money to be had.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

QuarkJets posted:

That's the first I'm hearing of this; what's happening?

I swear it came up in the thread but my google-fu is weak. I thought it was now just going to make fabricating claims super-fast on religious enemies.

Guess we'll find out in three weeks :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That sounds terrible if it's true. The claim fabrication system needs to die.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I swear it came up in the thread but my google-fu is weak. I thought it was now just going to make fabricating claims super-fast on religious enemies.

Guess we'll find out in three weeks :v:

I really hope you were delirious when listening to that. That would be horrible.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Xinder posted:

I don't understand that mindset at all. I love achievements because they give me motivation to try something I otherwise wouldn't. Just pushing a button and getting them wouldn't be satisfying. Who are you trying to impress at that point?

The sanctity of the precious cheevo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Agreed.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

THE BAR posted:

Oh sure, gold will solve this problem.

Maybe if they didn't inherit your nation's land combat NIs, it doesn't make much sense that mercenaries are identical to your own trained troops, anyway.

I wish mercenaries in this game were more like in CK2: pre-defined armies with their own composition and leaders. And very expensive

edit: vvvv yeah, pretty much. But you actually control then

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 16, 2017

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Elias_Maluco posted:

I wish mercenaries in this game were more like in CK2: pre-defined armies with their own com position and leaders. And very expensive

So condottiere that can be selected from a list, yes.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I wish there was a way to make the quick build (+) icons besides units be merc. Is there some modifier button to press that will do this? Like click (+) for normal infantry, shift+click (+) for merc.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fister Roboto posted:

True story. I don't like the mass fabrications of claims in general. I once disabled the Conquest CB (this was easier than disabling claim forging, my preferred option) inside the HRE just to see what it would be like, and it was really fun. Kept the sea of minors alive much longer, though the guys that picked Religious eventually carved everything up.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Content pack renders are out and hot drat, if you're interested in the region this is by far the best one, there's so much in it. Not just a ship pack, but special ship models for Korea and Japan. Paradox is really outdoing themselves with the regional flavor for this expansion.

QuarkJets posted:

That's the first I'm hearing of this; what's happening?

I'm pretty sure they're just moving it to later in the idea group, is what Johan posted a few days ago. Maybe more's come out since though.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Koramei posted:

Content pack renders are out and hot drat, if you're interested in the region this is by far the best one, there's so much in it. Not just a ship pack, but special ship models for Korea and Japan. Paradox is really outdoing themselves with the regional flavor for this expansion.

I'm pretty sure they're just moving it to later in the idea group, is what Johan posted a few days ago. Maybe more's come out since though.

I am ok with that fix, I can't count the number of times I've taken Religious and only grabbed that first idea... used it to expand rapidly then dropped it for something like Admin or even Innovative.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've noticed that sometimes buildings will build faster in certain provinces, and I can't figure out why. There's no temporary provincial modifier, no differences in terms of estates, or culture, or religion...

As seen here. I began construction of all of these buildings at the same time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

iron provinces give -20% build time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ah weird, thanks

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:stare:

Adbot