Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

food court bailiff posted:

Tying back to Khan being a foil for Hank - Hank doesn't get the story of the strawberry and the tigers and thinks it's a joke, but Khan obviously doesn't get it either. Buckley had no advance notice of his death so it's not like he could savor his last moments on earth like in the parable, and it's not like he was living life to the fullest before the Mega Lo Mart explodes, either.

It's about savoring every moment I thought. You don't have to be dying to enjoy a strawberry, but you don't know if it's the last one you'll ever eat, so savor the flavor. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's about that and imo it's also about realizing the freedom you have even in moments of extreme limitation.

Also it's kind of just a Zen like "well you're dead either way might as well enjoy the strawberry while you can."

e: It's a good story bc there's all kinds of different things you can get from it depending on your view.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 14, 2017

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Bill voted for Trump. Luanne probably did too.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Dale knows all about the deep state but no one believes him but Hank

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Buckley's trampolines were the best little subtle joke KOTH ever did.

At the end of season 2, in the episode where the Megalo Mart explodes, Luanne is sad because she needs $300 for the next semester of beauty academy. Buckley wishes he could help but says he only has $300, which is going to a new trampoline. The one he already has is pretty good, but "you know..."

Then, a year later in the episode where his angel appears, Hank is disappointed that Kahn bought "the best trampoline of Buckley's estate" and is letting it go to waste.

poo poo like that always made me love King of the Hill, which is why I was so bummed when later season episodes didn't really care about any continuity like that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaunab posted:

Bill voted for Trump. Luanne probably did too.

Luanne died.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

That tiger eulogy is just one of many bits where they try out a different animation style for effect. The first few seasons have a whole bunch of vivid dream sequences where you see stuff like Bobby's anxieties about puberty portrayed as nine foot tall girls with three breasts and crazy Picasso makeup. The Y2k episode where Hank hallucinates he's in a wack-a-mole with Tom Landry is another good example (or, eventually, Dale's amazing children's book).

As for Hank totally not getting the tiger parable, I don't know. He gets it enough to regurgitate it later in the episode, replacing the tigers with Detroit Lions and the strawberry with Gatorade. It's like he's suspicious of absolutely anything even a step outside culturally neutral Americana so he has to inject his own references to everything. Honestly Hank is not far off from his mom and her glass miniatures.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
KAHN: The more you hold it in, the more you put on strange Sinead O'Connor act! I cry river of tears for Buckley! Why not you?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

The Archaic posted:

KAHN: The more you hold it in, the more you put on strange Sinead O'Connor act! I cry river of tears for Buckley! Why not you?

Slowly growing Luanne's hair back over that season, with three or four distinct different models, is some ballsy animation direction Itellyuwhut.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Slowly growing Luanne's hair back over that season, with three or four distinct different models, is some ballsy animation direction Itellyuwhut.

Like Simpsons, the earlier KotH seasons had a lot of heart to them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm glad Bill's military dog was good dog, and Hank's military cat was a cat.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Hank had a military cat?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was the one episode where Bill completely won and had a happy ending without him loving everything up by being Bill.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

It was the one episode where Bill completely won and had a happy ending without him loving everything up by being Bill.

Both of em! :colbert:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
His brother sucks so much.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Wicker Man posted:

His brother sucks so much.

Which brother; Junichiro or GH?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

junichiro was abrupt with an elderly woman, im very proud of him

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

King Possum III posted:

I think he means Bill's brother

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I think he means Bill's brother

Bill didn't have a brother as far as I know; maybe he was thinking of Bill's cousin, Gilbert?

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dh68fEeVLo

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

King Possum III posted:

Bill didn't have a brother as far as I know; maybe he was thinking of Bill's cousin, Gilbert?

Whoops, you're totally right. Sorry about the mix up. Gil-beeeaaaarrrt.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.

King Possum III posted:

e: hella beaten

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

King Possum III posted:

Gilbert was so good haha

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
"How long have you been sitting there?"
*exhales smokes* "Thirty five years..."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

Whoops, you're totally right. Sorry about the mix up. Gil-beeeaaaarrrt.

He should never have made a second appearance, but Gilbert is awesome.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Nooner posted:

Gilbert was so good haha

I loved the way Gilbert "cruised" Buck Strickland, telling him that he could show him a thing or two.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I knew him... Briefly.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

stealie72 posted:

He should never have made a second appearance, but Gilbert is awesome.

Was he also voiced by David Herman?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
LOL, psuedo-Tennessee Williams in KOH is probably my favorite little side adventure.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the one with Bill's family in Louisiana is my favorite episode

it's straight out of Shakesepeare

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the one with Bill's family in Louisiana is my favorite episode

it's straight out of Shakesepeare

Agreed, only Bill is still Bill so he kind of bungles through the scenes only sort of half realizing what's going on, which is hilarious. That is until the end when he confesses that he slept with all of them.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Redneck Mihn looks like every single Southeast Asian prostitute. I had never realized how similar the American Southeast is to Asia's until just now

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

mojo1701a posted:

Was he also voiced by David Herman?

Actually, yes

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Overwined posted:

Agreed, only Bill is still Bill so he kind of bungles through the scenes only sort of half realizing what's going on, which is hilarious. That is until the end when he confesses that he slept with all of them.

His purpose was to nurture the vine, not play in the garden.

Junk posted:

Actually, yes

drat, dude does some of the best voices.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mojo1701a posted:

His purpose was to nurture the vine, not play in the garden.

I loved that line, where she asks which one he was doing, and his shame filled reply. "Playin'".

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can't put diet in a suicide, that'll ruin it!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
is the episode where bill gets his legs back and beats up the doctor considered a win for bill?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

is the episode where bill gets his legs back and beats up the doctor considered a win for bill?

As Peggy would say, "HOO-yeah!"

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

There is a visual gag in "Take Me Out of the Ball Game" that I didn't notice until a rewatch. After the softball game where Hank's micro-managing causes Peggy to lose control of her pitching, there is an exterior shot of the house and Hank's truck windshield is shattered.

That episode also had softball practice where Dale runs from Mr. Strickland to reach second base, at which point Buck keels over from chest pains. All of the players rush to his aid except for Dale, who evaluates the situation and takes off for third base.

I dunno why people are confused about the Hills being able to afford a modest house with a mortgage on an eighth of an acre in a Dallas suburb. Hank works full time and Peggy subs, and they have one child and two vehicles. I imagine that would be workable even in 2017.

Some rough math.

Hank probably makes anywhere from $40,000 - $70,000 a year. It was really hard to pin down what an assistant manager would make because there isn'ta lot of info, but one article estimated Hank makes about $43,000 which seems a little low. I got a range of anywhere from maybe $20,000 to $100,000 for a full manager, depending on what exactly they're managing. It's a small store, independently run, and Buck is doing very well for himself clearly, so Buck is likely the one earning the 100K. Buck would not pay Hank that much, and because he keeps Hank as an assistant manager, he probably has the ability to pay him a lot less. My unscientific wager is that he probably makes something closer to $50,000. He is likely not near the high-end because he worries about budgeting but he is not strapped for cash and has money for things like his lawn, his truck, house renovations, etc. and raising Bobby.

Peggy contributes very little to the household finances. She'd get paid $90.00 a day in Texas as a certified substitute teacher. If she is a busy substitute teacher (which she probably isn't because her main territory is Arlen), she might work 60% of the school year, and bring home maybe a total of $8,000 to $9,000. If she really does manage to get a lot of work and we're really generous and say she's subbing 80% of the year, she's only pulling in $13,000 at best.

The Hill household probably has a combined income of anywhere from $48,000 to $83,000. I'd say it's likely something like (rounding up) $60,000 a year. Arlen likely has a low cost of living so it goes even further, combined with Hank's frugality. They aren't rich (though when you consider many parts of America they're rather wealthy), but they are very comfortable. It also demonstrates why Hank losing his job to Mega-Lo Mart was so disastrous. They'd go from a household income of $60,000 to something closer to $23,000 if Hank worked full-time hours (estimated 2080 hours a year with $7.25 minimum wage).

*All numbers based on 2017 numbers.

Testikles fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

hi