Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

PrinceRandom posted:

for some reason John Caradine song in the beginning is catchy to me. It's probably an example of good bad music; A relatively unexplored area of good bad

To me, the most enjoyable part of Moon Zero Two was the theme song. It's way too catchy for a movie that sleepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Alll I wanna feel-a is the wind in my eyes

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"The Brute Man" is the first one I saw when I was 8 or 9. Sold me on it then and there, and I still watch the show all the time 20 years later. The Chicken of Tomorrow has really stuck with me for some reason.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Bicyclops posted:

I'm watching The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies, as I read that article, and already I can see they got the wrong riff for the movie (it's definitely all the transportation references during the roller coaster scenes). Tch. What do you know about anything, Paste Magazine?

That's my favorite Sci-Fi era experiment. Just for Crow's reaction to the "Get your tickets hee-ah" monkey

"Did you guys just see that or did I imagine it?"

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"The Brute Man" is the first one I saw when I was 8 or 9. Sold me on it then and there, and I still watch the show all the time 20 years later. The Chicken of Tomorrow has really stuck with me for some reason.

CoT is one of the best shorts.
I think Fire Maidens of Outer Space may be my first. Or Attack of the the Eye Creatures.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I just watched Eegah on Netflix. We are truly living in the future.

"Sorry about my face!"

It's been a while since I watched it that movie but oh man, I forgot how...uncomfortable that movie gets near the end. Yeesh.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've never seen Catalina Caper before, I just watched it and it's great. I really enjoyed Joel explaining the 60's.

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

CainsDescendant posted:

I've never seen Catalina Caper before, I just watched it and it's great. I really enjoyed Joel explaining the 60's.

This episode is the first one I chose today because it was super loving rare in the tape trading days, I think because the rights expired not long after it first aired. I had only seen it on like 7th-generation VHS with horrible sound until Youtube a couple of years ago, and even then it was no better than 3rd-generation. Now it's pristine.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I've got Catalina Caper on DVD and it's one of my favorite Joel episodes. Tom'a song is so great.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Never steal anything wet...

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

CainsDescendant posted:

And it has Little Richard! "There's a promising young artist hopped up on goofballs."

One of the great experiments, and as Pleasing Shape said, was REALLY hard to come by in the early days.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Okay okay okay. I'll leave the Bronx.

I really love that episode, but I can't really say why. It suffers from the bad 70s-80s post-apocalyptic "What were the villains... trying to do?" problem, the Toblerone jokes should feel a little too much like they're trying to force an in-joke, the Timmy Bobby host segment is an absolute, resounding dud, and there are huge spaces where not even the riffs can keep the interest up. It's little things like how often in the beginning they keep repeating "Leave the Bronx!" and Servo's "Have a little fire, spaceman!" Also, I like the stupid Toblerone jokes, and once in awhile, when I'm really lagging, the movie gives me a huge, heaping slap of Toblerone!

Maybe it's just that I saw it when it aired (which comes as a surprise to me - I didn't think I had seen any of season 7, but I definitely remember laughing with my mom at "Have a little fire, spaceman!"). I dunno.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

"He's seen me, and now I've had it"

I dunno why but that's the highlight of the riff for me. Toblerone really should have been the star of the movie because the lead is a big old nothing. Toblerone had some screen presence

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My first MST3k experience was the monkey story from Merlin's Shop, and I had no loving idea what was happening. My first complete viewing was Boggy Creek II, which blew my mind. I also loved Bigfoot stories at the time.

It was such a weird experience finding this amazing show on Sci-Fi, building a Saturday morning routine with it, and then three weeks into the routine, they messed with the schedule and I couldn't find the show anymore.

HMS Beagle posted:

I've got Catalina Caper on DVD and it's one of my favorite Joel episodes. Tom'a song is so great.

Catalina Caper is an all-time great. I just...love it... Creepy girl, coked out Little Richard, cartoon opening credits, hamfisted slapstick because seasickness is whacky!, a beach movie without a beach, an art heist...It's a fun movie on it's own, and it's not often that they riff on a straightforward comedy (which is a shame, terrible comedies are ripe with material). I didn't know it was a hard find, since it was in the Vol. 1 DVD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I loved The Movie, but I got hooked when I saw Hobgoblins on Sci-Fi.

It's the eighties
do a lot of coke
and vote for Ronald Reagan

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HMS Beagle posted:

Is that the only time they riffed a movie that was intentionally supposed to be a comedy?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Is that the only time they riffed a movie that was intentionally supposed to be a comedy?

I don't know if I'd call it a comedy. Teen movie? It's sort of in the same vein as Village of Giants.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Larryb posted:

I think so, yeah, but even then it's such an unfunny comedy it's hard to accept that it's supposed to be funny in the first place. All the jokes in the movie feel like they were added by the Comedytron 2000: things that are clearly supposed to be jokes, have the cadence of jokes, but aren't jokes.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We haven't watched any mst3k for a few years... just other things to watch, and my girls were never really interested in it, to them it just seemed like their old dad's weird show. We'd watched a bit when they were younger but maybe not the right ones to catch them.

Then we found out it's on Netflix and my 13-year-old had a friend over who said she likes it, so that made it cool enough for them to try. We watched Time Chasers last night and they just about died laughing even though I doubt they really got more than half the jokes. Even my 15-year-old admitted they were funnier than she thought they'd be.

I'm a good dad after all.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Larryb posted:

I strongly maintain that Operation Double 007 was a straightfaced parody. And Attack of the the Eye Creatures had some comic relief that was annoying and creepy instead of funny.

Oh yeah, and Hobgoblins was supposed to be the same sort of goofy horror movie as Gremlins, but mostly it was just goofy.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 16, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/feliciaday/status/842431546548133892

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Patton was born to play this part.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Man, I don't know how I'd never seen Future War but holy poo poo what a bad movie. It feels like the writer/director/everybody forgot to throw in a any exposition that actually matters to the characters to get them from one scene to another. All culminating in a hilarious riff where Captain Polaris (lol) angrily explains that the entire reason the main character is there is because a hither to unreferenced character named Fred Buroughs told him, and Mike and the bots start wondering out loud who he is and guessing if different random people are Fred Buroughs.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
If you have Hulu they have 40 episodes available. If you watch all the ones on Netflix head over there. Also Shout Factory has posted quite a few annotated episodes on YouTube.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gozinbulx posted:

Man, I don't know how I'd never seen Future War but holy poo poo what a bad movie. It feels like the writer/director/everybody forgot to throw in a any exposition that actually matters to the characters to get them from one scene to another. All culminating in a hilarious riff where Captain Polaris (lol) angrily explains that the entire reason the main character is there is because a hither to unreferenced character named Fred Buroughs told him, and Mike and the bots start wondering out loud who he is and guessing if different random people are Fred Buroughs.

quote:

This was the directorial debut of Anthony Doublin, the award-winning special effect/miniature model maker from films like Bride of Re-Animator and the Carnosaur films. The actual "tracker" feet and mechanical tracker from Future War were taken by Doublin for use in Carnosaur 3.

During the movie's production crew members joked that the film should end up on Mystery Science Theater 3000. When Doublin finished his work, he turned in a director's cut that ran with 40 minutes of mostly dialog. Future War was screened for several members of the crew. After the screening a discussion was held and Doublin quit, forcing a "Damage Control Unit" to be organized. Johnny Saiko from Steve Wang FX was brought in to take over the "trackers" and the film was completed and screened at AFM

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
My favorite episode will always be Pod People. The movie itself is a mystifying pile of barely-related subplots, the jokes are on point, and the skits count a couple of the all-time classics.

Joel and Mike's runs, especially during the Sci-Fi Channel era, almost deserve to be ranked separately. There's an edge to Mike's run, especially later on, that Joel's doesn't have; conversely, that means that when Joel's run goes dark, it feels much more like it came out of nowhere.

"I want to decide who lives and who dies!"
"Oh, I don't know..."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Day looks smug enough to be a Forrester, at least. I'm still really curious to see what kind of Mad she is.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I love Patton's semi-Eraserhead hair.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Franchescanado posted:

I love Patton's semi-Eraserhead hair.

now there's a remake I'd watch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't. Eraserhead is a masterpiece, immune to the remake virus.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

I wouldn't. Eraserhead is a masterpiece, immune to the remake virus.

What if they remade it with a female lead?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Their coats look like color-confused military uniforms circa WWII or something. I mean both Felicia and Patton look great wearing them, and I can't wait to see what Joel and the team made of the new generation of Mads.

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 16, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Ape of Naples posted:

What if they remade it with a female lead?

Then it would be Inland Empire.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gozinbulx posted:

Future War may be my all-time favorite MST. I was wholly unprepared for how lovely it would be.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I hate Future War except for

"I'm feeling boxed in"
"Well, I'm cardboard"

Gets me every time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Felicia Day basically just has to play an angry, sadistic version of the quirky archetype she's made a solid career out of and Patton can basically just be a goofier version of the constantly stressed, sycophantic penguin he plays in Bojack Horseman. I am very confident that they both got this. That they both seem to be really enjoying it in that photo is terrific.

I'm on Agent from HARM in my rewatch and itching to get to the end of the season. Space Mutiny, Time Chasers and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is one hell of a good run of episodes.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Watching Santa Claus Conquers the Martians with the wife, and one of the running gags is Joel and the bots making up gibberish names for the martians. I just caught that one of the made up names is Rimjob.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Wanderer posted:

"I want to decide who lives and who dies!"
"Oh, I don't know..."

Is it too much of a stretch to think that's a reference to A Christmas Carol? The second ghost asked Scrooge, "Will you decide what men shall live, what men shall die?"
It was a Christmas episode, after all.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Bicyclops posted:

That they both seem to be really enjoying it in that photo is terrific.

Felicia Day is apparently a huge MST3k fan and her response to Joel asking her to be a Mad was supposedly "omg plzzzzzzz"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Felicia Day is apparently a huge MST3k fan and her response to Joel asking her to be a Mad was supposedly "omg plzzzzzzz"

Patton's reaction was basically the same.