Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Medullah posted:

It's polarizing because it -

a) Cemented the game as a single player game with some minor multiplayer options

b) Did not continue the distinct storylines that Vanilla SWTOR started - the Jedi Knight's KOTFE story is nearly identical to the Sith Warrior's, for example.

c) (Edit) A lot of people don't like KOTFE/KOTET because it doesn't focus on Sith vs. Jedi, which is what Star Wars fans want.

Now, most of the players play this game for story, so a lot of people were fine with the cinematics. But a lot of people play SWTOR as a MMORPG, and the game has drifted away from being a MMORPG since 4.0. 5.2 looks to be the start of adding more MMO content back, but it's too little too late for a lot of people.

a) Yeah, I guess it probably would've been nice if they did more with the multiplayer stuff. If they do add more flashpoints, I hope they handle it like Shadows of Revan did. I don't care for large-group MMO content, but it'd be nice for the people who do like it.

b) I thought this was an issue back at the Rise of the Hutt Cartel? I mean, Shadows of Revan had a minor bit for each class, but I thought it was already a given back then? At least I remember people complaining about it then as well.

c) This is kind of subjective. I thought people would want to get away from that, at least here, because people here seem to prefer Kreia and KOTOR 2 than the way it's been treated by Bioware. I always thought the space wizardry was only half of the setting's charm though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Colgate posted:

a) Yeah, I guess it probably would've been nice if they did more with the multiplayer stuff. If they do add more flashpoints, I hope they handle it like Shadows of Revan did. I don't care for large-group MMO content, but it'd be nice for the people who do like it.

b) I thought this was an issue back at the Rise of the Hutt Cartel? I mean, Shadows of Revan had a minor bit for each class, but I thought it was already a given back then? At least I remember people complaining about it then as well.

c) This is kind of subjective. I thought people would want to get away from that, at least here, because people here seem to prefer Kreia and KOTOR 2 than the way it's been treated by Bioware. I always thought the space wizardry was only half of the setting's charm though.

Yeah it started in Hutt Cartel, which at least had two completely different faction based stories. Revan had the same story presented in slightly different angles, and one side story per class (Agent was a great one, of course). And then, yeah, same storyline.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
I don't like KotFE/KotET because it's hackneyed storytelling filled with plot holes, railroading, bland villains, and companions that go for quantity not quality. In the first handful of chapters you should be able to suss out the majority of the plot.

All of this is exacerbated by the SoR/Yavin/Ziost arc before it being really good with awesome moments like the Revan fight and Vitiate turning Ziost to ash.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I don't like KotFE/KotET because it's hackneyed storytelling filled with plot holes, railroading, bland villains, and companions that go for quantity not quality. In the first handful of chapters you should be able to suss out the majority of the plot.

All of this is exacerbated by the SoR/Yavin/Ziost arc before it being really good with awesome moments like the Revan fight and Vitiate turning Ziost to ash.

I'm only on Chapter 12 of KotFE and I already agree completely with your analysis. I seriously don't give a poo poo about all these new companions and would rather have one or two new ones with continued interactions with my original class companions. Especially since I just set role>tank and keep playing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The concept of being able to recruit other class companions was really cool. And the concept of your companions now being able to do any role was also cool. However, the two concepts combined led to you having a billion homogenized companions that had nothing differentiating them. All the characters that had unique moves had most of them replaced with generic Force User/Tech User moves.

So yeah, the recruitment mission for Blizz was great, but now he doesn't have his enormous bazooka. Nadia no longer has her emo angry girl Force slam, etc.

I really, really enjoyed the SoR storyline, and played through it multiple times. KOTFE/KOTET had some good moments, and Valkorian has a sexy voice, but it's ultimately a really long movie with a few interactive corridors.

If they'd trimmed some of the fat for KOTFE it could have been a lot better. But a chapter a month just to introduce another companion for you Pokémon collection was excessive. KOTET was definitely a better move for length, and dammit I had fun on the Walker despite everyone saying it was lovely.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

I do find it a bit weird they went for quantity over quality for the companions and that they also decided to homogenize them. If they didn't homogenize, at least you'd have a number of companions in each role that you can pick who you liked. Instead we have...well, Chrono Cross.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Valkorian has a sexy voice

I really like Valkorian too actually, unfortunately what you get in KotFE/KotET is an Arcann/Vaylin poo poo sundae with a Valkorian cherry on top.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I really like Valkorian too actually, unfortunately what you get in KotFE/KotET is an Arcann/Vaylin poo poo sundae with a Valkorian cherry on top.

But what a delicious cherry!

And hey, at least Arcann brought us a massive exploit that allowed people to share bound color crystals!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Colgate posted:

I do find it a bit weird they went for quantity over quality for the companions and that they also decided to homogenize them. If they didn't homogenize, at least you'd have a number of companions in each role that you can pick who you liked. Instead we have...well, Chrono Cross.

Another issue for many players, including myself, is that they keep introducing companions but only a small handful actually matter in the story. Even so, with so many chapters introducing new characters who are promptly dropped from the story the moment you leave and maybe mentioned once in a later chapter, there's little time given to develop the characters you already have.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Colgate posted:

One of my biggest complaints about Bioware games has been companion bloat. I understand they want to provide variety for playstyle types, but goddam they still overdo it. As it is with SWTOR, even with the vanilla content I thought they gave us too many companions with all anyone really needing is just one for the basic trinity roles, and since the companion revamp, you only really need one or two now so the abundance of companions really does feel like a waste of resources. It feels like for all the years of comments such as "I wish I could swap out Corso for Gault on my crimeboss Smuggler" ended up getting taken to heart to the extreme and this is what we ended up with.

I can see some honest use with being able to have a full group off on crafting assignments, but that's it. I don't see why they had to add a bunch of companions with the star fortresses on top of all the ones you can get from the Alliance Alerts and that's not counting any of the others that one might have from sub rewards or the Cartel Market. If we could send companions off on side missions like the follower quests in WoW introduced with Warlords of Draenor, that would at least be something to do other than have the companions just standing around unused save for whoever we pick as steady sidekick.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The sub reward and cartel companions are a godsend for people like me who have already done all the stories and don't want to do KOTFE again. I level alts pretty much through Heroics and PvP. So I have a gaggle of alts from the DvL event who only did the first two planets. Normally they'd only have the first companion and the ship droid by then - but now they all have Master Ranos, Niko O'karr, Shae Vizla and Treek as well for crafting, and a cartel beast/droid for combat. :D

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

But what a delicious cherry!

And hey, at least Arcann brought us a massive exploit that allowed people to share bound color crystals!

I didn't hear about this... I coulda hooked my friends up with white crystals (and been banned) or what?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Valkorian owns, Arcann is fine as a Star Wars bad guy with possibility of redemption, but Vaylin went from psycho comedic foil to pissy brat and really sucked even more fun out of fighting the Eternal Skytroopers.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I didn't hear about this... I coulda hooked my friends up with white crystals (and been banned) or what?

I don't think there were any bans for it. Basically, Arcanns saber wasn't Bind on Pickup/Legacy, like a Crate o Matic. Since Arcann's saber had a crystal slot, you could hand it to someone, they could pull the crystal, add it back which would add it to collections, and hand it back.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

I like Zakuul's weird force-using Judge Dredd police force and Senya.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Medullah posted:

It's polarizing because it -

a) Cemented the game as a single player game with some minor multiplayer options

b) Did not continue the distinct storylines that Vanilla SWTOR started - the Jedi Knight's KOTFE story is nearly identical to the Sith Warrior's, for example.

c) (Edit) A lot of people don't like KOTFE/KOTET because it doesn't focus on Sith vs. Jedi, which is what Star Wars fans want.

Now, most of the players play this game for story, so a lot of people were fine with the cinematics. But a lot of people play SWTOR as a MMORPG, and the game has drifted away from being a MMORPG since 4.0. 5.2 looks to be the start of adding more MMO content back, but it's too little too late for a lot of people.

MMO players are the worst

e. I say this as an MMO player

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 16, 2017

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Bilirubin posted:

MMO players are the worst

e. I say this as an MMO player

I'd expand that as MMO players are the worst, especially when you add in a fandom that's topheavy with some of the worst 'spergs you can imagine.

Just from reading around the SWTOR forums as far as KotFE/ET went, the playerbase was very divided between the people who look at the time frame between The Old Republic and the movie timeline and see vast content potential to run crazy with especially with the old EU being decanonized, and the others who simply can't envision anything Star Wars that isn't Jedi vs Sith & Republic/Rebellion vs Empire and go ballistic insisting any attempts to do otherwise is completely dooming the franchise. I caught flack more than a few times for posting the bold heresy of saying the push towards alliances between the Republic and Empire made sense as a precursor for the eventual fall of the Old Republic/Sith Empire and the start towards the Galactic Republic from the movies because of little hints such as the Dromond Kaas accent eventually becoming the Coruscanti one.

Equally while I'm not sure how solid the heresay I heard earlier is legit since it's pretty much fourth/fifth hand+ relayed, but there was some datamining on KotET which indicated there was plans to have class specific content included but the outcry over "how dare anything Star Wars not be Empire vs Republic' was so insistent, they cut it all out to hurry wrapping up the Zakuul stuff. I figure someone closer up the food chain would know more, but if it is legit it just proves that fandom is it's worst enemy yet again.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I still say if it's not Jedi vs Sith, it's not star wars.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'd expand that as MMO players are the worst, especially when you add in a fandom that's topheavy with some of the worst 'spergs you can imagine.

Just from reading around the SWTOR forums as far as KotFE/ET went, the playerbase was very divided between the people who look at the time frame between The Old Republic and the movie timeline and see vast content potential to run crazy with especially with the old EU being decanonized, and the others who simply can't envision anything Star Wars that isn't Jedi vs Sith & Republic/Rebellion vs Empire and go ballistic insisting any attempts to do otherwise is completely dooming the franchise. I caught flack more than a few times for posting the bold heresy of saying the push towards alliances between the Republic and Empire made sense as a precursor for the eventual fall of the Old Republic/Sith Empire and the start towards the Galactic Republic from the movies because of little hints such as the Dromond Kaas accent eventually becoming the Coruscanti one.

Equally while I'm not sure how solid the heresay I heard earlier is legit since it's pretty much fourth/fifth hand+ relayed, but there was some datamining on KotET which indicated there was plans to have class specific content included but the outcry over "how dare anything Star Wars not be Empire vs Republic' was so insistent, they cut it all out to hurry wrapping up the Zakuul stuff. I figure someone closer up the food chain would know more, but if it is legit it just proves that fandom is it's worst enemy yet again.

That really sucks I have greatly enjoyed this new Zakuul stuff and am frankly tired of Jedi v Sith. I mean if I want that I can always level another alt

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm back!

The free month and 250% XP means I can finish out the lightside stories, but I'll be moving through the seasonal stories under the Empire with my main, whi is apparently still in the guild!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm back!

The free month and 250% XP means I can finish out the lightside stories, but I'll be moving through the seasonal stories under the Empire with my main, whi is apparently still in the guild!

Heh yeah we haven't had to cull in a while, they raised the cap to 1000. Everyone who didn't quit in the last 3 years is probably still in both guilds.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

But really, they kind of wrote themselves into a corner with the whole Jedi vs Sith deal, when they implied that the Empire was losing pretty quickly, so these threats from unknown space kind of make sense to keep the plot going.

Maybe we'll fight the Yuuzhan Vong in the next expansion. I'm sure that would go over well.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Hi guys I haven't played an MMO since CoX and am a weirdo, so I started playing this for the first time like, a month or two ago and now I'm having a ton of fun with it.

Basic question: Are there any missions you can unlock based on your light/dark side level? I've noticed some dialogue stuff related to it, but I have no idea what it actually affects other than appearance and access to some items, since I've only gotten to II so far. I'm assuming it's not possible to switch sides from Republic to Empire or vice versa, right?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Colgate posted:

But really, they kind of wrote themselves into a corner with the whole Jedi vs Sith deal, when they implied that the Empire was losing pretty quickly, so these threats from unknown space kind of make sense to keep the plot going.

Maybe we'll fight the Yuuzhan Vong in the next expansion. I'm sure that would go over well.

Also if they do Jedi vs sith it means they have to write two versions of every expansion storyline instead of a single "we must unite against a common threat!!" one

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Has anyone else had issues with the launcher after the last server maintenance down time? I seem to be stuck in this cycle where I'll enter my password and then it tells me the games needs to repair 5 files. So I do that and it takes about 30mins. Then it installs some stuff, then I go to launch it and its back to repairing the 5 files again. There's probably a simple fix for it but haven't twigged to it yet

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

thepokey posted:

Has anyone else had issues with the launcher after the last server maintenance down time? I seem to be stuck in this cycle where I'll enter my password and then it tells me the games needs to repair 5 files. So I do that and it takes about 30mins. Then it installs some stuff, then I go to launch it and its back to repairing the 5 files again. There's probably a simple fix for it but haven't twigged to it yet

Usually in this case you want to delete your bitraider files to force a launcher check - Delete everything with the extension .XFR in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Bioware\Star Wars-The Old Republic\bitraider folder. (This is assuming, of course, you are using the default patch method and didn't disable bitraider).

Stroop There It Is posted:

Hi guys I haven't played an MMO since CoX and am a weirdo, so I started playing this for the first time like, a month or two ago and now I'm having a ton of fun with it.

Basic question: Are there any missions you can unlock based on your light/dark side level? I've noticed some dialogue stuff related to it, but I have no idea what it actually affects other than appearance and access to some items, since I've only gotten to II so far. I'm assuming it's not possible to switch sides from Republic to Empire or vice versa, right?

Nah, the DvL stuff is mostly for cosmetic gear and bonus points for Galactic Command at endgame. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Medullah posted:

Nah, the DvL stuff is mostly for cosmetic gear and bonus points for Galactic Command at endgame. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now.
Dangit, I was kinda hoping there would be something fun from playing the world's biggest rear end in a top hat/worst Jedi other than how hilarious it is. Oh well!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stroop There It Is posted:

Dangit, I was kinda hoping there would be something fun from playing the world's biggest rear end in a top hat/worst Jedi other than how hilarious it is. Oh well!

Yeah compared to, say, KOTOR, dark side and light side points are really really meaningless in this game. It doesn't affect anything interesting, you mostly just play your character how you want and don't worry about it.

There is (I think it's still there anyway) a vendor on the fleet that sells relics that are locked behind light/dark levels, which may trick you into thinking that you'll need to grind dark/light points in order to equip the best gear, but that would be incorrect. Endgame relics have no ties to light/dark alignment.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Light/dark choices do affect the outcomes of the class stories, but in fairly minor ways. Mostly you do the same stuff for different reasons, but sometimes the differences are interesting. Basically it's just enough to keep a repeat playthrough of a class story from being entirely boring.

The most significant light/dark plot differences are probably in the Sith Warrior story; it's the only one where you actually get a completely different version of a companion (almost zero shared dialogue, different appearance options) based on light/dark choices.

There are a few unique bits for neutral characters too. Again, the Warrior is a high point for this.

That's not really to say the Warrior story is the best or most complex all around, it just does the most with the alignment system. The Agent story has the most unique plot branches, but they're somewhat independent of light/dark. Honorable mention to Smuggler for having a really satisfying dark-side ending; light side smuggler is loving boring.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Light/dark choices do affect the outcomes of the class stories, but in fairly minor ways. Mostly you do the same stuff for different reasons, but sometimes the differences are interesting. Basically it's just enough to keep a repeat playthrough of a class story from being entirely boring.

The most significant light/dark plot differences are probably in the Sith Warrior story; it's the only one where you actually get a completely different version of a companion (almost zero shared dialogue, different appearance options) based on light/dark choices.

There are a few unique bits for neutral characters too. Again, the Warrior is a high point for this.

That's not really to say the Warrior story is the best or most complex all around, it just does the most with the alignment system. The Agent story has the most unique plot branches, but they're somewhat independent of light/dark. Honorable mention to Smuggler for having a really satisfying dark-side ending; light side smuggler is loving boring.

That's true, but all of those things are only affected by specific choices, right? Not alignment?

Like for example for the Warrior companion thing, you can theoretically max out your dark side alignment before you even meet Jaesa, but then make the appropriate "light side" dialogue choices and end up with the light side version of the companion, right? Or is she actually affected by how many dark/light points you have at that given time?

Choices impact things here and there definitely, but I was under the impression that nothing was actually tied to your dark/light alignment.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

There is (I think it's still there anyway) a vendor on the fleet that sells relics that are locked behind light/dark levels, which may trick you into thinking that you'll need to grind dark/light points in order to equip the best gear, but that would be incorrect. Endgame relics have no ties to light/dark alignment.

The vendor may still be there, but those relics are useless since 4.0 - there were no proc relics available before max level before 4.0, then they gave them to Artifice.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's true, but all of those things are only affected by specific choices, right? Not alignment?

Like for example for the Warrior companion thing, you can theoretically max out your dark side alignment before you even meet Jaesa, but then make the appropriate "light side" dialogue choices and end up with the light side version of the companion, right? Or is she actually affected by how many dark/light points you have at that given time?

This is true, at least in some part. My Warrior was primarily light side but due to the dialogue choices I made in that certain part I got the Dark Side option.

But Warrior is also a good example of "light side" not meaning "good guy", because some of their "light side" choices lead to more sadistic options.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

Choices impact things here and there definitely, but I was under the impression that nothing was actually tied to your dark/light alignment.

There ARE parts of that story where the dialogue is different based on your current alignment. Jaesa using her power to see your true nature, the reflection you meet on Tatooine razzing you if you're not evil enough. You're probably right in that you can still choose at any point to suddenly go against type and pick the other dialogue option, though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Shoot. I guess I need to respec from 5.0, but not sure how yet because there arne't any 5.0 Immortal Juggernaut builds out there.

E: I'll just go with what I like, it isn't like it matters all that much nowadays.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 17, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

Shoot. I guess I need to respec from 5.0, but not sure how yet because there arne't any 5.0 Immortal Juggernaut builds out there.

E: I'll just go with what I like, it isn't like it matters all that much nowadays.

None of the builds changed much since 4.0. There are new utilities but those are all pretty easy to read through and see what's useful for the spec at the time.

Gearing is a whole new argument too, with a lot of people saying tanks should be using DPS B mods instead of tank mods. I'm not 100% sold on that (for PvP it makes sense, but not sure about PvE). You can pretty much just follow the "balance shield/absorb" and you should be good. But none of that really matters until you're doing actual hard endgame stuff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't care whether it's more Zakuul stuff or Sith/Jedi Republic/Empire stuff as long as it's written well. In my opinion, KOTFE was not written well and what I've seen of Eternal Throne on youtube is no improvement.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm curious what you're measuring the writing against. I find the writing, while not the greatest, not particularly offensive or anything like I do with WoW's. It's pretty par for the course for a Bioware game.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Farthest I got was my male Sith Warrior after the whole vision quest in not-Dagobah.

Should I just watch the rest of the story on youtube and save 15 bucks?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

Farthest I got was my male Sith Warrior after the whole vision quest in not-Dagobah.

Should I just watch the rest of the story on youtube and save 15 bucks?

You can play the entire 1-50 story for no cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Medullah posted:

You can play the entire 1-50 story for no cost.

I should explain myself.

I spent an okay chunk of money powering through one character three years ago, and then then powering the gently caress out of the 7 other stories with the xp bonus in celebration of Shadow of Revan coming out

Right now my dude that I have spent the most amount of time in is in the Not-Dagobah forest in your home base in KOTFE. Next chapter as far as I know is when I meet Gault and reunite with the spunky thief I maybe married or something years ago? Vette was her name-o.

Question remains the same, should i just watch it on youtube considering even I know at this point that there are very little differences on the stories of all your characters experiencing KoTFE, outside of Lana's exposition on what happened to whatever your character achieved as you were getting Zakuul dehumidifiers to work or something

That's the only time where I noticed changes in spoken dialogue. Lana explains the situation with your power base if you played as an inquisitor, sith warrior about your history and potential allies you made when ascending to the nice lofty position of personal executioner

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 18, 2017

• Locked thread