Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

AngryBooch posted:

Your face reading my posts.

Seriously though, Bioware was good at face animation in November of 2014, 26 months ago.

Maybe this time around they put all their resources into facial animation, if you get my meaning :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryBooch posted:

Seriously though, Bioware was good at face animation in November of 2014, 26 months ago.

Look all I'm saying is that I wish that the comparison shots didn't use grainy zoomed out crap, compared to super in your face high def stuff, because it's disingenuous.

Though, I don't know why I'm arguing when no-one will answer my question, and just call me a troll. It's easier then to realize that stylized animations aren't being made for your generation anymore, though I have no idea how to say that without pissing people off. Still for the lurkers, it's something that needs to be said.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Digirat posted:

Basic enemies losing tiny chips of health per bullet matches the ME3 bronze experience with bad gear, and the gold experience with good gear. Looking at this stream, it's taking roughly ten headshots to kill one generic enemy. Even if you did go back to bronze with really powerful gear, it wouldn't improve the game feel, which is noticeably worse. Enemies show no or understated reactions to being shot, there's low to no screen shake on melee and a number of powers, and there seems to be far less bass in many of the common sound effects. Sometimes when he headbutts people I can't hear anything at all.

All of this is inherently unsatisfying and they have had 5 years to improve on this, or at the very least not regress on it. Game feel is incredibly important and can singularly make a game worth playing, even if everything else is trash. These impressions are based on only a vertical slice, but game feel generally isn't something that will radically change between weapons.

The sound design itself does seem considerably better though--there seems to be more detail and reverb seems to noticeably change based on your surroundings, even though there is less bass.

Sounds like multi bad

Guess I don't have to get it :toot:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Though, I don't know why I'm arguing when no-one will answer my question, and just call me a troll. It's easier then to realize that stylized animations aren't being made for your generation anymore, though I have no idea how to say that without pissing people off. Still for the lurkers, it's something that needs to be said.

I got a chuckle out of this, thanks.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

Look all I'm saying is that I wish that the comparison shots didn't use grainy zoomed out crap, compared to super in your face high def stuff, because it's disingenuous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

mightygerm posted:

there's no chair

watch the bottle on the table

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Cowcaster posted:

drat i just realized what all this was reminding me of

Hey, that's me in the lower right! God, I look so young....

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good Dumplings posted:

...You're looking at just the lips and ignoring the rest of the face, it's not as expressive as the TW3 example but Jack has actual body and eye language that's also consistent with what she's saying. Andromeda either has gestures/expressions that don't fit or - way more often - have no expressions whatsoever. This becomes a lot more obvious when combined with the voice acting; everybody has a really unsettling lack of affect in every possible way.

Both convey the same amount of emotion, except for some of the Ryder's which are done with all of the sliders done gently caress-y.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Gameplay feels smooth and slaps; That's all I can ask for. Animation still sucks but it isn't as distracting as I thought it'd be. Digging the space exploration theme.

I haven't really watched many videos before hand so I wouldn't spoil myself so I'm not sure how wrong i am.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Turtlicious posted:

I'm still not quite sure what you're saying. That the facial animations are supposed to look unrealistic because it's a art choice that will appeal to younger people and we're likely all in our late 20s-30s so we don't appreciate it?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Well this is disappointing.

Guess I'll just play the Mass Effect Trilogy again.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Like, everything is so uniform in tone that it's actually hard to follow what's going on sometimes; things will happen but there's no immediately obvious cue for why they're happening because nobody's expressing any emotions. So you try to look at the dialogue, but that's all exposition, nobody seems to actually have anything but a mechanical reason to interact with someone else... so you try to follow that poo poo, but by the time you've caught up another loving robotface scene is happening gently caress

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

oh cool, i tried to change a graphics setting and my monitor went black and the only way to get image back was to plug it out and in again (battlefield 1 did this too)

I set it to fullscreen borderless which ought to circumvent the problem in the future but that's....worrying

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-gregory-jantz-phd/irritable-male-syndrome-i_b_1202904.html

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

More hot takes no one wants to read: God drat some of the reverb sounds amazing.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like I'm witnessing what happened when Dragon Age 2 came out

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm still not quite sure what you're saying. That the facial animations are supposed to look unrealistic because it's a art choice that will appeal to younger people and we're likely all in our late 20s-30s so we don't appreciate it?

Well mid to late 30's but yeah pretty much, when the first signs of irritable male syndrome start to appear, but yeah.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Turtlicious posted:

Both convey the same amount of emotion, except for some of the Ryder's which are done with all of the sliders done gently caress-y.

No, I'm saying Ryder's has no animations beyond the lips. Look at something beyond the lips, look at any animations they do that aren't just audio cues. Andromeda characters either emote or speak, but very very rarely do both at the same time; you should link some examples where you feel they're doing both so we can see why you think the faces aren't creepy as balls.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

You know he's obviously loving with you all and you just keep coming back for more, right?

Who has been doing multiplayer? WHAT IS THE FLAMETHROWER SITUATION

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Crafting is exactly the same thing except you're saving up currency with a different icon and adding a few extra points of clicking before your purchase.

At the moment where you are exchanging money for goods or exchanging/transforming ingredients into goods yes the transaction feels the same but how you go about earning money and collecting ingredients can be very different, if only because money is typically earned and spent universally whereas ingredients are from and for specific things. Lots of changes to various gameplay incentives if I have to kill sharks for 12 Shark Teeth to craft the Ultimate Shark Destroyer Trident vs. killing a bunch of different enemies who drop a universal currency and buying the Ultimate Shark Destroyer Trident.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Someone link to a good multiplayer stream? My download won't be finished until after bedtime and I don't wanna waste trial time with a partially downloaded game but I still wanna scratch the andromeda itch

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

SgtSteel91 posted:

I feel like I'm witnessing what happened when Dragon Age 2 came out

This actually feels worse to me. A lot of DA2's badness was the reusing of areas later in the game. This is baked-in lovely design decisions from the start.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Stylised animation = a flapping mouth and eyes that track incorrectly attached to a stationary mannequin.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good Dumplings posted:

No, I'm saying Ryder's has no animations beyond the lips. Look at something beyond the lips, look at any animations they do that aren't just audio cues. Andromeda characters either emote or speak, but very very rarely do both at the same time; you should link some examples where you feel they're doing both so we can see why you think the faces aren't creepy as balls.

I would just be using the same gifs you're using, which is dumb.

Like in this image, I could draw a line over his eyes / eye brows, and they don't move at all. They just match what you're used too more, and have a better angle to hide it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PSA for anyone arguing with turtlicious. It's a troll.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Someone link to a good multiplayer stream? My download won't be finished until after bedtime and I don't wanna waste trial time with a partially downloaded game but I still wanna scratch the andromeda itch

https://www.twitch.tv/teawrex

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

new phone who dis posted:

This actually feels worse to me. A lot of DA2's badness was the reusing of areas later in the game. This is baked-in lovely design decisions from the start.

Also DA2 was a rush job and everyone knew it. When they started talking about another Dragon Age I remember being really surprised. They've been teasing this for like... what, 5 years?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean the ME:A animations are closer to this.

ohgod the horror?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Scene_of_Ciri_being_sad.gif vs Ryder_saying_her_dad_died.gif

"But what's the difference hurrr"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Scene_of_Ciri_being_sad.gif vs Ryder_saying_her_dad_died.gif

"But what's the difference hurrr"

Ciri was supposed to be sad in that scene?

Christ.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is mass effect even popular with young children?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the multiplayer is fine

its what i expected

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thank you! There's a warning at the beginning saying that this is only for mature audiences so I'm sorry that most of this thread can't join

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is mass effect even popular with young children?

Yes, it is also popular with the 18 - 25 demographic.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol at everything

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Turtlicious posted:

Ciri was supposed to be sad in that scene?

Christ.

Are you capable of clocking human emotion that is not dialed up to a wacky SNL 10?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

eonwe posted:

the multiplayer is fine

its what i expected

Intriguing

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
my recommendation is to skip this game and go play Nier Automata instead

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AngryBooch posted:

this. yeah inquestion had issues and hiccups with graphics, but the faces were fine and decent, even good in some cases. what the gently caress happend?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lobok posted:

At the moment where you are exchanging money for goods or exchanging/transforming ingredients into goods yes the transaction feels the same but how you go about earning money and collecting ingredients can be very different, if only because money is typically earned and spent universally whereas ingredients are from and for specific things. Lots of changes to various gameplay incentives if I have to kill sharks for 12 Shark Teeth to craft the Ultimate Shark Destroyer Trident vs. killing a bunch of different enemies who drop a universal currency and buying the Ultimate Shark Destroyer Trident.

Sure, but 90% of crafting systems aren't that. This one definitely not that.

E: I didn't hate the crafting system in Far Cry 3/4 because it was sort of what you said. It encouraged going out and hunting different types of animals and if you wanted you could go out and craft anything you wanted before even doing any of the main game.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

I would just be using the same gifs you're using, which is dumb.

Like in this image, I could draw a line over his eyes / eye brows, and they don't move at all. They just match what you're used too more, and have a better angle to hide it.

That is a bad animation though, you need to find something good as opposed to saying "everything else is bad so it's okay this one thing is total garbage". Find a good animation in Andromeda. It's a painful experience but I'm sure it's possible.