Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hahaha oh my god. If you're a total moron like I am, you might not realise that you can transfer items across characters in Day of the Tentacle by selecting the item in your inventory and using it on the picture of the character...
Instead of going back to the ChronOJohns every single time :smithicide:

That's what I did at first when I played the original all those years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Renoistic posted:

That's what I did at first when I played the original all those years ago.
I did this too so the real moron seems to be in the game design side of things.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Glad to hear. I assumed I'd missed a note about it at some point. Weird how they don't make a bigger deal of it in the remake.

Taking Hoagie out to the toilets EVERY TIME was unbelievably tedious

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How's everyone feeling about that ME:A MP footage?

Looks an awful lot like the ME3 MP that had me hopelessly hooked!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=6OmW-4F4h30

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

everyone on my tl has been burying the game footage all day

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They shoulda just made an MP game cos Bioware can't write worth a drat any more.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Super No Vacancy posted:

everyone on my tl has been burying the game footage all day

Burying? Explain.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

They shoulda just made an MP game cos Bioware can't write worth a drat any more.

I loving bought ME3 for the MP and never played the campaign. Not my thing... I'm gameflyjng this one. Just makes more sense...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I played 2 to death but 3 ran so so badly on PS3 that I couldn't hack it, it was giving me headaches, no joke.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

I played 2 to death but 3 ran so so badly on PS3 that I couldn't hack it, it was giving me headaches, no joke.
The FOV seemed so weird in 3 that it was the first game to make me motion sick; I had to give up after a few hours but then when I watched the ending on YouTube I regretted nothing.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

The company that's named "Bioware" today has more or less none of the same people in it as the company that made the Mass Effect trilogy. That's probably why.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

So I purchased Deus Ex MD since it was on sale for $27AU...and I'm a little disapointed so far. I remember playing Human Revolution and loving it but everything seems a step down now? The jilted conversations, the character models look worse somehow and combat seems largely identical.

What happened? I played Human Revolution on PC so maybe I remember the graphics being superior but I was expecting a bit more from Mankind Divided but it seems like the only changes are downgrades..am I wrong?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What's the goon recommended difficulty for Nier? I was thinking hard but no lock on sounds dumb.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cloud the Cat posted:

So I purchased Deus Ex MD since it was on sale for $27AU...and I'm a little disapointed so far. I remember playing Human Revolution and loving it but everything seems a step down now? The jilted conversations, the character models look worse somehow and combat seems largely identical.

What happened? I played Human Revolution on PC so maybe I remember the graphics being superior but I was expecting a bit more from Mankind Divided but it seems like the only changes are downgrades..am I wrong?

they decided to make it episodic but never told anyone and sold 1/3rd of a campaign for full price by just packing it with side quests. it feels like its development was during a transitional phase at SE where they were looking for a new model of game development and unfortunately hitman got the formula right and DE didn't
i agree HR is better game.

veni veni veni posted:

What's the goon recommended difficulty for Nier? I was thinking hard but no lock on sounds dumb.

i played the first 4 hours on hard and bumped it down to normal when my progress slowed. yoko taro says right in the menu that normal is probably the best way to play the game. i think i'll do my next run on hard once i know all the ins and outs of these bosses, but normal is a much better way to see the story without getting stuck idk. it feels a little too easy but you can still get rocked if you gently caress up. I definitely wouldn't put the auto item chip on though in any mode - it just makes it brainless

as far as lockon goes, it just makes the combat a lot less active and takes away a tool that can quickly stun enmies that get too close at a moments notice. i find myself manually aiming a lot even on normal unless there is only one or two enemies so i don't have to worry about managing the lock on on the right enemy which can be more tedious than just pointing with the stick

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 16, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

veni veni veni posted:

I've been playing on Normal and it's been fine. It's not a super hard game but enemies do a lot of damage nonetheless.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

normal isn't hard at all but I don't think that's a problem personally. it's still fun and satisfying to destroy robots

you can not use the auto heal plug-ins if you don't wanna feel immortal

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly I couldn't play without auto-heal and heal after a few seconds, it's so goddamn handy.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

having big story moments ruined by dying a lot is way worse than kind of breezing through the game so i think normal is the safer choice. but you can change the difficulty at any time so if you get comfortable with it and want to have to try a little harder you can just bump it up. there's no trophy or anything special related to difficulty.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lets hang out posted:

having big story moments ruined by dying a lot is way worse than kind of breezing through the game

I think "victory lap" endings to games are actually quite good for this reason. Experience is more important than challenge IMO, as long as it still feels engaging.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snak posted:

Got the discount on Nier. So I guess I bought it.

Good imo

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Digirat posted:

I think "victory lap" endings to games are actually quite good for this reason. Experience is more important than challenge IMO, as long as it still feels engaging.
Bloodborne's ending stood out to me as a great version of the victory lap once you factor in the DLC, where you've had the opportunity to prove yourself against the hardest bosses the game has to offer before you get to the end boss. I can imagine the end being a little underwhelming to some people at launch without Ludwig, the Orphan, etc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Arist posted:

Honestly I couldn't play without auto-heal and heal after a few seconds, it's so goddamn handy.

the auto heal is super convenient, yea

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

veni veni veni posted:

Lock on is just for shooting at stuff with your pod, not for melee combat, and it's not that useful anyways. Hard is real hard tho

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

cubicle gangster posted:

I just started nier last night and am really enjoying it so far, but lol at everyone saying how great the voice acting is. conversational dialogue is all over the place and the awkward pauses are driving me mad. it was very obviously recorded with each voice actor in complete isolation from each other - which is not a big deal with good direction making sure it all fits & flows well but this is super awkward. I know nearly all v/a is done like that, but they key is to make it not super obvious that's how it was done.

The game is incredible but my impressions from the first 3 hours is that it's the worst voice acting of 2017 so far, I don't know what you are all smoking. The script is fantastic though and it's not something i'd even be bringing up if it weren't for all the posts about it.

babies first JRPG

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I died about 45 minutes in during the boss from the demo and I'm guessing what happened after was supposed to happen? Or did I gently caress up?

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

If you're talking about 9S and 2B activating their black boxes yes, that's supposed to happen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I mean I died and credits rolled and it started the game over from the beginning. So far t seems identical

I honestly don't know wtf

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

cubicle gangster posted:

The game is incredible but my impressions from the first 3 hours is that it's the worst voice acting of 2017 so far, I don't know what you are all smoking. The script is fantastic though and it's not something i'd even be bringing up if it weren't for all the posts about it.

The voice acting is bad compared to other big PS4 games, sure. I imagine most of the people who say the voice acting is good are comparing it to other JRPG's, where the bar is lower.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maybe I'll play it in Japanese with English subtitles, can you do that? Did they devote more effort on that end?

It's like how I always assume the acting in foreign-language films is better because I can't understand all the nuances of their speech

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

^ you can

veni veni veni posted:

I mean I died and credits rolled and it started the game over from the beginning. So far t seems identical

you should endeavor to not die until you find out how to save. no reason not to turn the difficulty down until then if you get frustrated.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

veni veni veni posted:

Did they roll super fast

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe I'll play it in Japanese with English subtitles, can you do that? Did they devote more effort on that end?

It's like how I always assume the acting in foreign-language films is better because I can't understand all the nuances of their speech

The English dub is v good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yes

And the quick save was grayed out so I couldn't save.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

verbal enema posted:

The English dub is v good

Yeah it's better than Horizon but that isn't a high bar to clear.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Horizon is pretty good for the 5 or so main characters and mediocre to bad for random other characters.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Horizon has good VA wtf are you on about?

E:Well, yeah the main characters at least.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

veni veni veni posted:

Good at what

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Like, all of the characters that have any significance are well acted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

E:Well, yeah the main characters at least.

Aloy is good, a couple of other characters are good, a lot of them are genuinely bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You know how Horizon has the tier system in its quests so you know what the main story stuff is, what is secondary content, and what is basically filler (still fun, though)?

Basically everyone involved in the main story stuff acquits themselves very well. Aloy is great, and gently caress, man, you have Lance Reddick, I thought he did a fine job. All the audiolog stuff you get in the main story quests was really well done and I listened to all of it.

The lower-tier stuff does not have as much polish, obviously. But this is the game where I figured out that Ashly Burch is a good voice actress who has been saddled with some bad scripts/direction in the past